Start by marking “The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Die drei Fragezeichen (Hörspiele) #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  3,561 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Hot on the trail of seven talking parrots that have seemingly vanished into thin air, the Three Investigators are in more trouble than ever. Danger lurks at every turn as they search for the birds, each of whom can quote part of a coded message from a mysterious dead man.
Published May 21st 1991 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot

Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can find them
This, not Nancy Drew, was my favorite mystery series when I was a kid. Sure, I read Nancy, but she was an independently wealthy titian-headed paragon who I could never live up to. Why didn't she get a job, or go to college? Was she just killing time solving mysteries until Ned graduated from college and married her?
Now, the Three Investigators, they were kids like me, without a car, without much money, and with very human failings. I could totally relate. And they had a cool secret clubhouse, t
Ivana
Jedna z najkrajsich z detstva, ktoru si rada precitam aj dnes.
Zamotany pribeh o papagajoch, z ktorych kazdy vie rozpravat zdanlivo uplne nezmyselne veci z klasikov vedie k neuveritelnemu pripadu, kde mame tajomne poklady, zahranicnych zlocincov a znamu trojicu patracov, ktori aj teraz vsetkemu pridu na koren.

Carovne namixovany detektivny pribeh pre mladych citatelov je mozno dnes uz trosku staromodny, ale napriek tomu ma nezamenitelne caro.

A pre zasvatenych - "to je iste ako olovena rura" :-)
Kristy Drážovská
Toto bolo strašne super :D! Ako tak pozerám... opäť ma zrejme začína chytať mánia Troch pátračov. Kedysi som na tom riadne fičala, nuž uvidíme ako ďalej O:).
Leore Joanne Green
This is a book I found in a carton in the dorms, in a place where old things are usually left for any one who would like to take. It looked familiar and when I looked at it I realized it was part of the 'Alfred Hitchcock' series which I used to read in elemetary school. So I picked it up and took it for the nostalgia.

Basically, it reminded me a bit of Enid Blyton's detective novel's for kids, just without the warm, British feeling, and the food. The reading was fun and smooth, the only thing tha
Cameron G.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished reading The Mystery of The Stuttering Parrot by: Robert Arthur. My dad introduced me to this fast paced mystery book series that he loved when he was a kid. As soon as I opened this book I was immedatly hooked. This book is about three young dectives who promise to find a famous actors missing parrot. When they start on this case they find that it is part of a bigger mystery of a lost priceless art piece! I can relate to the charactors in the book because they always help peo ...more
Lea
So, nun habe ich den zweiten drei Fragezeichen Band überhaupt durch (Nr. 8 in den deutschen Ausgaben, aber 2. bei den Originalen). Ich fand das Buch gut und konnte mich, ganz ehrlich, nicht daran erinnern, es letzten Februar bereits gelesen zu haben - das spricht allerdings irgendwie wiederum gegen das Buch. So richtig spannend fand ich den Fall nicht, aber das liegt natürlich auch daran, dass ich das Hörspiel inn und auswendig kenne.

Ich war ein wenig überrascht, wie Hugenay beschrieben wird. D
Alex
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was loads of fun. The riddle of the parrots and the real threat and stakes of the book made this a lead pipe cinch!

I probably knew this before but had forgotten how delightful the old hardcover art is. While some details could be more accurate (like the parrot should have been yellow-headed not red) there are so many of them tucked away that I can look past that. Also the nice Hitch cameos on each cover are an excellent touch. I’ll keep an eye out for how long that is maintained.
Joaquin Castañ
Éste libro ya lo leí cuando era adolescente y a pesar del paso de los años sigue haciendo que me meta en la historia y viva la aventura igual que la viven estos jóvenes investigadores.

"Misterio del loro tartamudo" de Robert Arthur
Mark
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2008 original review - For some reason, I’ve never pressed to re-read this book and, having just done so, I can’t understand why. It’s quick, tightly-written, has some nice action sequences and well-drawn characters and is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the interplay and the deductions and the willingness of Arthur to look at the less-well-off, but the treasure was found a little easily for my liking and where, exactly, does Carlos go after this book? Very entertaining, a good, solid TTI mystery.
2013 u
dhani  Machfud
Sebelum saya mengenal Sir Arthur Conan Doyles dengan Sherlock Holmes-nya,..saya lebih dahulu mengenal sosok tiga detektif cilik karya Alfred Hitchock ini. Buku yang dalam bahasa Indonesianya klo gak salah 'Misteri kakaktua gagap' inilah yang memperkenalkan saya dengan sosok Sherlock Holmes (for God's sake bukan Detektip konan yang nonsense itu). Klo gak salah ada adegan dimana sang kakaktua mengucapkan kata 'to to to be or not to to to be,..that's the question'. to to to be adalah kode untuk ala ...more
Scott
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, mystery
This is a re-read - thought I would read it again after I listened to an audio dramatization last week.

The book holds up great (I grew up on the Three Investigators) but it is what it is...juvenile 1960's detective story written for teen boys about three friends that hook up with Alfred Hitchcock, have a Rolls Royce on hand, have a great clubhouse in Jupiter Jones's junkyard and run a detective agency. Not realistic in the least but it's not supposed to, it's supposed to be escapist for teen boy
Quentin Wallace
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this one quite as much as the first volume. Still a big fan of the series. This one seemed a little more formulaic, but I think that's typical for these type of YA mysteries.

This one has parrots, art thieves, and of course Alfred Hitchcock. Still a good read for any fan of the Three Investigators.
Lila
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saya sempat nyaris mundur membaca buku ini karena ada nama "Alfred Hitchok", nama yang di otak saya berarti "Friday The 13th" dan nangis karena ketakutan. Beruntung saya tetap nekat membaca lembar demi lembar buku ini karena ternyata isinya sangat membuat ketagihan.
Secara teknis: buku ini tidak diperuntukan bagi anak yang masih dalam tahap belajar membaca karena font yang digunakan tidak besar (standard).
Dari awal cerita, saya sudah merasa pasti rasanya mirip dengan Conan atau Kindaichi yang nj
Campbell
I loved the Three Investigtors books as a kid and, inspired by Karl Ove Knausgaard's "Boyhood Island", I'm going to re-read it to see what, if any, childhood memories it unlocks.

Well, that was unsuccessful as a memory-evoking experiment but I'm glad I reread it nevertheless. A fun little book with nothing particularly objectionable in it.

I'm sure that some today wouldn't be happy about the almost complete lack of female characters, at least any that are in any way necessary to the plot. And the
Inga
This is one of my all-time-favourites - in the radio play version of my childhood. This is my first time reading it. The story unfolds around a stolen parrot and quickly turns into one of the typical riddles that the ??? have to solve. The radio play is very close to the book - I knew a lot of the scenes and sentences by heart. But some scenes were a bit more detailed and the characters of Carlos and his father were given more room which I liked.
Akash Raj
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favourite books as a child. A refreshing mystery.
Andrew
My one unfulfilled childhood dream was to be a real detective or private investigator. The closest I got was investigating some ultra-minor crimes in my area, as well as looking for some missing pets, dressed in my trench-coat and dark glasses, to no success whatsoever!

So it goes without saying that I have always loved reading crime/mystery books, of which my all-time favourite series is The Three Investigators mysteries. Sure, the Hardy Boys were more popular at my school, but then I have alway
Nira Ramachandran
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second in The Three Investigators series, this is every bit as good as the first. After their stunning success as investigators in their first case, Hitchcock unbends enough to send them on another. Finding a lost parrot doesn't seem very exciting, but the number of lost parrots grows by leaps and bounds, and the three investigators find themselves caught up once more in a mesh of intrigue, tantalizing clues, villains of every hue and even a lost treasure. Jupe's ability to make sense of see ...more
Merida
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excuse me my bad English :)

Well, now I know why I remember it most from the childhood from the adventures of Jupiter, Pete and Bob - it's certainly the best part of Three Investigators stories!

Very interesting story, original, captivating adventure for lovers of literature, such a Sherlock Holmes and Treasure Island. There is - as usual - a lot of humor, and we can smile under our nose on the way of speaking of Jupiter or comments of Pete.

Besides, it is practically one big treasure hunt - how ca
Soňa
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Druhý príbeh zo série o troch pátračoch je pre mňa lepší ako prvý diel, má viac napätia i akcie a i keď som ho už čítala, predsa len niektoré veci som si nepamätala a tak som pozorne som sledovala dej.

V centre diania sú traja chlapci, Jupiter, Peter a Bob, hľadajúci stratených papagájov z čoho sa vykľuje vlastne pátranie po stratenom obraze.

Dej má dobrý spád, udalosti sa odvíjajú plynule držiac tempo udalostí a čitateľov pevne v hrsti až do poslednej strany.
Lucky Vaunda
Jun 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
My first reading experiences! And the first book of The Three Investigators series i read. Then I get addicted. Go figure!
Each central character of the group has his own unique ability, job and duty, and rich characterization. Just love it.
Rosalina Suhartono
I remember the line from Hamlet said (said?) by the parrot, "to to be or not to to be" which shows location 22B. This book amazing! I read this book when I was a kid and now I keep thinking that it's amazing coz it's indeed a good book to read.
e.c.h.a
Kisah paling keren dari semua seri Trio Detektif....

Ke tujuh nuri yang saling berhubungan..yang sengaja di ajarkan untuk menyembunyikan suatu misteri..temukan ke tujuh nuri & kalian akan menemukan jawabannya....
Anni
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
(Hörspiel)
Dominika Kaníková
For me the best part of the book was certainly when the parrots were saying their quotes. Haha I really like the connections between everything. Maybe its predictable but .. :D ...more
Jerry
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

A fun, cute little old-school mystery. This kid at heart enjoyed it.

Score: 4/5
Carly
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens, crime
Toto je asi moj najoblubenejsi diel. Ani neviem, kolko krat som ho citala. a zakazdym je to rovnako napinave.
Sri
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: children
Among other titles in this series that I read in my childhood, I remember this one the most.
bakanekonomama
Inilah buku Trio Detektif pertama saya. Meskipun banyak yang sudah membaca buku ini sejak kecil (kecilnya maksudnya tahun 80-90an), tapi waktu saya kecil saya nggak pernah melihat buku ini. Berbeda dengan buku-buku karya Oma Enid yang lebih sering saya jangkau ketika kecil dulu. Ketika membeli buku ini, saya bertanya-tanya siapa pengarangnya, karena nama sang pengarang tidak muncul di cover buku. Mungkin ada salah cetak apa gimana, ya? Barulah ketika lihat ke halaman dalam, saya mengetahui bahwa ...more
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Rogues' Reunion (The Three Investigators, #40)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit
More about Robert Arthur...

Die drei Fragezeichen (Hörspiele) (1 - 10 of 192 books)
  • The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Shrinking House (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #18)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)