Start by marking “The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)

The Secret of Terror Castle

(Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #1)

Finding a genuine haunted house for a movie set sounds like fun -- and a great way to generate publicity for the Three Investigators' new detective agency. But when the boys arrive for an overnight visit at Terror Castle -- home of a deceased horror-movie actor -- they soon find out how the place got its name!
Published May 21st 1991 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Terror Castle, please sign up.
Jeff Stephenson Robert Arthur wrote the book in the 1960s with boys aged 10 to 12 in mind. Readers of that age and older (maybe younger depending on reading ability)…moreRobert Arthur wrote the book in the 1960s with boys aged 10 to 12 in mind. Readers of that age and older (maybe younger depending on reading ability) will certainly still find it enjoyable and exciting. Of course, middle aged men like myself (50+) still find this series enjoyable to read simply because it is one of the book series I used to read when I was 10 to 12 years old! Hope you enjoy it!
(less)
Jeff Stephenson Printed Three Investigators books can be very collectible and often it is difficult to find any copies of any of the titles in new or used bookstores.…morePrinted Three Investigators books can be very collectible and often it is difficult to find any copies of any of the titles in new or used bookstores. However, there are a number of editions of this book out there so the book is relatively easy to find online. There is even a Kindle version apparently released in 2015. Personally, I searched the online auction sites before purchasing my hardcover edition, and a number of copies of the book can be found by searching those sites. The Three Investigators series has also become very popular in Germany and there are a number of German versions of the book on the market as well. Good luck!(less)

Sheri
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Secret of Terror Castle is a book that kids and their parents will enjoy. It has all the elements that appeal to kids: a hidden headquarters with secret entrances, a reportedly haunted castle to explore, a fancy car to be seen in, a rival schoolmate to overcome, and of course the Three Investigators agency and all the adventures that await. It also showcases traits that parents desire their children to have: imagination, creativity, courage, intelligence, analytical skills, and teamwork.

The
Jim Thomsen
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved The Three Investigators Series as a kid, and loved re-reading almost all of the 30-plus books as an adult. "The Secret Of Terror Castle" is a worthy introduction — full of spooky pre-Manson Family atmosphere in the Hollywood Hills, loaded with genuine mystery and populated by humorous but likable characters. Plus, you know ... Alfred Hitchcock himself.

The story: Jupiter Jones and friends Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews (their ages are never given, but they seem to be about 14 or 15 years
Ken McKinley
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-paperback
How can you not love The Three Investigators? When I was a youngster, I discovered the series at my local library. The Secret of Terror Castle was the first book in the series that I read. I was hooked. From that day forward, some of my best memories were plunking down in my dad's recliner on a rainy day and being lost in the boy detective's latest case. I wanted to be a fourth investigator. That secret hideout of theirs captured my imagination. I could picture what it would be like to open a se ...more
Nandakishore Varma
I think as one grows older, more and more time is given over to nostalgia. And for a voracious reader, it is invariably connected with the books one read as a kid.

The Three Investigators was the mystery series I really adored - for a long time I thought Hitchcock himself wrote them! I loved Jupiter Jones for his brains (and the fact that he was plump, like me), Pete Crenshaw for his brawn and Bob Andrews for his studiousness. I also loved their secret junkyard hideaway and the visiting card with
Peter
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
The Secret of Terror Castle is just about a perfect book for boys aged 8-15. Robert Arthur is a woefully neglected author of great skill, and some of his finest writing is on display in the Three Investigators series.

This is the first book in the series, and as such it establishes many elements which were continued throughout. We're introduced to Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw, and Bob Andrews, as well as a host of memorable supporting characters. And, of course, we are introduced to the host of t
Efka
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Išvažiuoji visam ilgąjam savaitgaliui;
2. Pamiršti pasiimti savo knygas ir skaityklę;
3. Ieškai ko nors - bet ko - paskaityti vietoje;
4. Randi šitą knygą.

Kas belieka. Bet iš tikro nebuvo taip jau blogai. Visai padori, kaip anksčiau rašydavo "vidutiniam ir vyresniam mokykliniam amžiui" skirta knygiūkštė. Nei labai blatna, nei labai išskirtinė, nu bet tokia plius minus "Plėšiko Hocenploco" lygio. Nu ok, gal šiek tiek labiau link minus, nors gal ir Hocenplocui aš tiesiog jaučiu sentimentus. O ir
Quentin Wallace
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit the five star rating is due mainly to the nostalgia of the book, but I just couldn't help myself. In this, the first book of the three investigators series, we are introduced to Jupiter, Pete, and Bob. These are three teenage detectives who form their own agency to investigate various crimes, and through a strange twist Alfred Hitchcock ends up as their mentor. Hitchcock appears in the stories as himself, so there's a bit of a real world feel to them. They have a cool secret hide ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
702 - 2014

Eaaa, Trio Detektif terbitan baru ini tidak lagi di-endorse oleh sutradara Alfred Hitchcock, melainkan Albert Hitfield. Siapa tuuuh? Anggap saja pseudonym-nya ya.

Copyrightnya juga entah kenapa dari edisi Jerman. Tapi sepertinya terjemahannya tetap pakai versi lama karena nama Agus Setiadi, dan Jupiter Jones-nya tidak berubah menjadi Justus Jonas seperti versi Jermannya.

Justus? Mendingan juga Jupe (tidak ada hubungannya dengan penyanyi dangdut tertentu).

Betewe, review versi panjangnya k
Gigi
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this mystery I loved as a kid. The first Three Investigators mystery holds up well after all these years. In addition to being the great fantasy for kids (e.g. a secret hideout in a junkyard that was much cooler than my own middle school detective agency in a corner of my house), the spooky tone is the perfect level of spine-tingling without being too frightening, and the mystery is a clever one.
Ira Booklover
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bacabukuperpus
Saya sudah lupa sama sekali bagaimana ceritanya Misteri Puri Setan ini. Dulu membaca seri ini waktu masih SMP, dan dulu buku ini berasa seru sekali.

Sekarang setelah membaca ulang belasan tahun kemudian, rasanya ... errr ... masih seru sih, tapi ga seseru dulu. Dulu saking serunya, saya sampai tidak sabar untuk membaca buku berikutnya. Untunglah dulu perpustakaan SMP punya koleksi yang cukup lengkap. Cuma beberapa buku dari seri ini yang "bolong", sayang saya lupa yang mana :D

Jadi, Misteri Puri S
Lea
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eines meiner Leseziele dieses Jahr ist es, alle drei Fragezeichen Bände von vorne bis hinten durchzulesen. Bisher habe ich mich nämlich um die frühen amerikanischen Bände, also die Klassiker, ein wenig gedrückt.

Der erste Band jedoch hat mir viel Spaß gemacht, obwohl ich die Story als Hörspiel inn und auswendig kannte, und ich freue mich auf die nächsten Bände.

Da das Hörbuch des Gespensterschlosses ja nicht als erstes in der Reihe erschien, erfährt man in den Hörbüchern nie, wie die drei Detekt
Indy
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great childhood book series I remember, although I never finished reading them all!
In fact, I don't know how many I finished, but in my box of junk I found I still had 20 or so paperbacks.. I had tried collecting them all as a kid - so I could read them in order, but then since I never got the full collection, I stopped reading them.. what a wierdo little kid I was.
The library always had the cool hardcover or paperback, my copies seemed like reprints, but at least the cover art was always a hi
Arielle Walker
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-so-long-ago
I've been trying to remember what these books actually were for so long, I remember loving them as a child (especially the secret headquarters hidden in a scrapyard). Only found by chance, but it's so nice to know they actually do exist!
Mark
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2008 review - A sterling, well-written story that sets the series off to a flying start. The characters are well-drawn, the locations ably described and the genuine sense of fear and spookiness, around Terror Castle, is well evoked. The story does feel a bit slight, but that’s only to be expected as the book needs space to set everything up. Well worth a read and the only thing that dates this (it’s 44 years old!) is the fact that a silent film-star plays a major part in it. A cracking book.
Leslie
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Not something I would ever, ever pick up of my own inclination, this is a teen age boy detective story (the first of a series) of the 60's that my husband said rocked his little teenage heart back in the day. I have my own son who is a "mini me" version of his dad, so I always get any books Dad remembers reading in his youth. I was getting bored (again) with Adam Bede and treated myself with this bit of Halloween-appropriate fluff. Funny thing, it's not fluff. Teen novel, yes, but not fluff. The ...more
Jim Robertson
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this series as a youth but remembered it being a little scary at times. So I read this before recommending it and giving it to my 9 yr old son for Christmas. It was well written and fast moving action/adventure book - and not too scary for a (or at least my) 9 yr old. Surprised it is not available on kindle since it is relevant today.

I found the book to be excellent for boys from 5th-8th grade (give or take). The protagonists are that age and the book (and series) does an excellent job of
Asghar Abbas
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Basically, what got me started on reading. This and Archie comics induced the love/hate relationship I have with wordlings now, a relationship that is strictly not platonic, I assure you.
Throw Hitchcock into the mix, so very cool. Very original way to present a series.
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
Τα βιβλία αυτά τα διάβαζα μανιωδώς στην εφηβέια μου και οι βαθμολογίες που τους έχω δώσει είναι με βάση την αίσθηση που μου είχε μείνει από τότε (ας πούμε θυμάμαι ξεκάθαρα πως μου άρεσαν πάρα πολύ τα πρώτα τρία αλλά π.χ. όχι οι Πυρωμένοι Βράχοι). Ξανακοιτάζοντάς τα, βέβαια, συνειδητοποιώ ότι οι εκδόσεις Ψυχογιός δεν τα εξέδωσαν με τη σειρά που βγήκαν τα αμερικάνικα, επιλέγοντας πιθανώς όσα θεωρούνταν καλύτερα μεταξύ όλων των συγγραφέων που εργάστηκαν στη σειρά (εν προκειμένω Robert Arthur, Willi ...more
Tonk82
En los años 80 había toda una serie de cosas que me gustaban especialmente: el terror, el misterio, las explicaciones racionales, los grupos de investigadores... lo curioso es que realmente los mayores representantes de aquello habían salido en los años 60. Pero en los 80 se relanzó casi todo en Tv y libros: Scooby-Doo, Los cinco, Nancy Drew... Y en mi caso, especialmente, los libros de "Alfred Hitchcock y los tres investigadores".

El autor, Robert Arthur, era un especialista en combinar terror y
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A wonderful mystery.

The Three Investigators are Bob Andrews, Pete Crenshaw, and Jupiter Jones. They are from Rocky Beach, a few miles from Hollywood.
Bob is their researcher, Pete is tall and strong, so I guess that makes him muscle in the group and Jupiter Jones is the brains. They have their "office" at The Jones Salvage Yard which is run by Jupiter's uncle. It is in an old trailer the uncle forgot.
Jupiter won the use of a Rolls-Royce with chauffeur, for thirty days. They used it for their fir
Sinta Nisfuanna
Pertama kali baca Trio Detektif pas masih SMP dan lanjut beberapa judul saja karena keterbatasan koleksi perpustakaan SMP/SMA dengan seri ini. Kalo beli sendiri masih mikir-mikir ... Tapi yang pasti buku ini mengesankan karena saya suka cerita teka-teki. Akhirnya, sekarang coba koleksi dan baca lagi, mulai seri pertama, Misteri Puri Setan.

Awalnya saya tidak terlalu berharap banyak dengan teka-tekinya karena niatnya hanya ingin bernostalgia, tapi ternyata petualangan masuk Puri Setan bisa bikin d
Niki
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read almost all of the books in this series, I will slowly add them all to my list. "Slowly" because I don't want to spam anyone by adding them all at once.

These books made my childhood. I really think that they shaped me into what I am today, so I'm very thankful to my local library for carrying these when I, in the tender age of 10, decided to start borrowing books (using my dad's card, no less; of course, he knew I was using it) I have a few favourites in the series, they will get a 5
Nira Ramachandran
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nira by: Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
This book really brings out the ingenuity, doggedness and sheer courage of the three investigators Exploring a haunted castle is a terrifying experience, which leads most visitors to the castle rushing out and tearing down the steep, boulder strewn path, and the three young detectives do the same. But what makes them different is that they return again and again in broad daylight and even late at night, facing weird music, floating phantoms and icy blasts of air, and even a rockfall, which burie ...more
Alex
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This holds up exceedingly well to childhood nostalgia. There are few stretches of plausibility, and evoking the effects of early films and the transition from silent to talkies was anachronistic at the time, aiding its aging gracefully.

The deliberate advanced vocabulary is distinctly more advanced than what I’ve run across in my re-visitation of Trixie Belden. The pacing and tension is excellent, as is the debunking. I am buckled in and ready to keep going through the series.
Larry C
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes revisiting a childhood favorite (movie, book, recipe) can harm those good memories if it's not enjoyable as an adult. Re-reading this book was a pure delight. Just as I remembered it to be: Hardy Boys with the fun spirit of Scooby-Doo. If you loved this series of books like I did, I can tell you, it's safe to go back and enjoy reading this again.
Tom
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the all of the Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators books as a kid. I found three books in the series at a second hand store. After reread The Secret of Terror Castle I have to say it still holds up. To be fair, the 4 stars may have more to do with my nostalgia that anything else.
Kristy Drážovská
Poriadna dávka nostalgie :)
Arif
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baru baca seri pertama Trio Detektif yang diterbitkan ulang Gramedia ini.

Masih menarik. Meski bagi saya saat ini ceritanya mudah ditebak. Tapi, seri ini dulu pernah menghibur saya di tengah suntuknya belajar wkwkwk..
Scott Drake
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good. they're all good.
Dion Yulianto
Membaca kembali seri ini ternyata tidak memunculkan efek istimewa sebagaimana saat membacanya dulu, ketika buku ini masih seharga Rp2.500 dan iklannya terpampang menggoda di majalah Bobo.
Future Teachers, ...: Jack Review 6 1 1 Nov 23, 2016 05:40PM
What's the Name o...: Boys' mystery series of the 50's-70s. [s] 8 148 Feb 19, 2014 01:29AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #16 The Secret of Terror Castle 5 3 Feb 18, 2014 05:20PM
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Shrinking House (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #18)
  • The Mystery of the Rogues' Reunion (The Three Investigators, #40)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
“Disembodied spirits,” said his partner, “are not known to use telephones. Neither are spooks, phantoms, or werewolves.”

“That was in the old days. Why shouldn’t they change with the times and be modern, too?”
8 likes