Start by marking “The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)

The Secret of Terror Castle

(Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #1)

Finding a genuine haunted house for a movie set sounds like fun -- and a great way to generate publicity for the Three Investigators' new detective agency. But when the boys arrive for an overnight visit at Terror Castle -- home of a deceased horror-movie actor -- they soon find out how the place got its name!
Published May 21st 1991 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Terror Castle, please sign up.
Jeff Stephenson Robert Arthur wrote the book in the 1960s with boys aged 10 to 12 in mind. Readers of that age and older (maybe younger depending on reading ability) …moreRobert Arthur wrote the book in the 1960s with boys aged 10 to 12 in mind. Readers of that age and older (maybe younger depending on reading ability) will certainly still find it enjoyable and exciting. Of course, middle aged men like myself (50+) still find this series enjoyable to read simply because it is one of the book series I used to read when I was 10 to 12 years old! Hope you enjoy it!
(less)
Roberta This book is not available to read online. Very few libraries have these older books but you might try asking there before buying them.

Goodreads is a…more

Goodreads is a web site for book reviews and recommendations so there are VERY few books to read. The list is at https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks?sort...(less)

Start your review of The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
Sheri
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Secret of Terror Castle is a book that kids and their parents will enjoy. It has all the elements that appeal to kids: a hidden headquarters with secret entrances, a reportedly haunted castle to explore, a fancy car to be seen in, a rival schoolmate to overcome, and of course the Three Investigators agency and all the adventures that await. It also showcases traits that parents desire their children to have: imagination, creativity, courage, intelligence, analytical skills, and teamwork.

The
Kenneth McKinley
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-paperback
How can you not love The Three Investigators? When I was a youngster, I discovered the series at my local library. The Secret of Terror Castle was the first book in the series that I read. I was hooked. From that day forward, some of my best memories were plunking down in my dad's recliner on a rainy day and being lost in the boy detective's latest case. I wanted to be a fourth investigator. That secret hideout of theirs captured my imagination. I could picture what it would be like to open a se ...more
Jim Thomsen
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved The Three Investigators Series as a kid, and loved re-reading almost all of the 30-plus books as an adult. "The Secret Of Terror Castle" is a worthy introduction — full of spooky pre-Manson Family atmosphere in the Hollywood Hills, loaded with genuine mystery and populated by humorous but likable characters. Plus, you know ... Alfred Hitchcock himself.

The story: Jupiter Jones and friends Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews (their ages are never given, but they seem to be about 14 or 15 years
Nandakishore Varma
I think as one grows older, more and more time is given over to nostalgia. And for a voracious reader, it is invariably connected with the books one read as a kid.

The Three Investigators was the mystery series I really adored - for a long time I thought Hitchcock himself wrote them! I loved Jupiter Jones for his brains (and the fact that he was plump, like me), Pete Crenshaw for his brawn and Bob Andrews for his studiousness. I also loved their secret junkyard hideaway and the visiting card with
Peter
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
The Secret of Terror Castle is just about a perfect book for boys aged 8-15. Robert Arthur is a woefully neglected author of great skill, and some of his finest writing is on display in the Three Investigators series.

This is the first book in the series, and as such it establishes many elements which were continued throughout. We're introduced to Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw, and Bob Andrews, as well as a host of memorable supporting characters. And, of course, we are introduced to the host of t
Quentin Wallace
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit the five star rating is due mainly to the nostalgia of the book, but I just couldn't help myself. In this, the first book of the three investigators series, we are introduced to Jupiter, Pete, and Bob. These are three teenage detectives who form their own agency to investigate various crimes, and through a strange twist Alfred Hitchcock ends up as their mentor. Hitchcock appears in the stories as himself, so there's a bit of a real world feel to them. They have a cool secret hide ...more
Gigi
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this mystery I loved as a kid. The first Three Investigators mystery holds up well after all these years. In addition to being the great fantasy for kids (e.g. a secret hideout in a junkyard that was much cooler than my own middle school detective agency in a corner of my house), the spooky tone is the perfect level of spine-tingling without being too frightening, and the mystery is a clever one.
Arielle Walker
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-so-long-ago
I've been trying to remember what these books actually were for so long, I remember loving them as a child (especially the secret headquarters hidden in a scrapyard). Only found by chance, but it's so nice to know they actually do exist!
Mike
Fun retro reread. First found The Three Investigators back in fourth grade, and never finished the series, so put it back on my list.
Indy
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great childhood book series I remember, although I never finished reading them all!
In fact, I don't know how many I finished, but in my box of junk I found I still had 20 or so paperbacks.. I had tried collecting them all as a kid - so I could read them in order, but then since I never got the full collection, I stopped reading them.. what a wierdo little kid I was.
The library always had the cool hardcover or paperback, my copies seemed like reprints, but at least the cover art was always a hi
Asghar Abbas
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Basically, what got me started on reading. This and Archie comics induced the love/hate relationship I have with wordlings now, a relationship that is strictly not platonic, I assure you.
Throw Hitchcock into the mix, so very cool. Very original way to present a series.
Ken B
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
4 STARS
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A wonderful mystery.

The Three Investigators are Bob Andrews, Pete Crenshaw, and Jupiter Jones. They are from Rocky Beach, a few miles from Hollywood.
Bob is their researcher, Pete is tall and strong, so I guess that makes him muscle in the group and Jupiter Jones is the brains. They have their "office" at The Jones Salvage Yard which is run by Jupiter's uncle. It is in an old trailer the uncle forgot.
Jupiter won the use of a Rolls-Royce with chauffeur, for thirty days. They used it for their fir
Mark
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2008 review - A sterling, well-written story that sets the series off to a flying start. The characters are well-drawn, the locations ably described and the genuine sense of fear and spookiness, around Terror Castle, is well evoked. The story does feel a bit slight, but that’s only to be expected as the book needs space to set everything up. Well worth a read and the only thing that dates this (it’s 44 years old!) is the fact that a silent film-star plays a major part in it. A cracking book.
Leslie
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Not something I would ever, ever pick up of my own inclination, this is a teen age boy detective story (the first of a series) of the 60's that my husband said rocked his little teenage heart back in the day. I have my own son who is a "mini me" version of his dad, so I always get any books Dad remembers reading in his youth. I was getting bored (again) with Adam Bede and treated myself with this bit of Halloween-appropriate fluff. Funny thing, it's not fluff. Teen novel, yes, but not fluff. The ...more
Jim Robertson
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this series as a youth but remembered it being a little scary at times. So I read this before recommending it and giving it to my 9 yr old son for Christmas. It was well written and fast moving action/adventure book - and not too scary for a (or at least my) 9 yr old. Surprised it is not available on kindle since it is relevant today.

I found the book to be excellent for boys from 5th-8th grade (give or take). The protagonists are that age and the book (and series) does an excellent job of
Jane
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not read these books when I was little, so it's just about time I guess. I needed some light reading before bed and this was a great choice! Very entertaining.
Bradley
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
I was suddenly hit by nostalgic feeling, and 'Three Investigators' from my childhood was what came to mind. Oh my, how I've missed them. They are still very fun and the three of them remain endearing to me.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you're lucky if you can find them
Jupiter Jones and his friends Pete and Bob (I have read these books way too often) have formed a detective agency, with business cards and everything! Jupiter finagles his way in to see Alfred Hitchcock, and talks him into giving him a case to investigate.
The case, the first of the Three Investigators series, involves a haunted castle that was the home of a famous silent movie star modeled after Lon Chaney, I think. The actor was a master of disguise, but he has disappeared and people have repor
Becca
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great start to the series, introducing us to our protagonists with a mystery about a wonderfully spooky haunted house.

Having read the whole series already the comments Jupiter make about having the car for "thirty days of twenty-four hours each" is a great display of his smarts.

One thing I love about these books is that the Three Investigators actually act like they're friends. Like in this book Jupiter doesn't yell at Pete or Bob when they forget to record the scream or photograph the
Niki
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read almost all of the books in this series, I will slowly add them all to my list. "Slowly" because I don't want to spam anyone by adding them all at once.

These books made my childhood. I really think that they shaped me into what I am today, so I'm very thankful to my local library for carrying these when I, in the tender age of 10, decided to start borrowing books (using my dad's card, no less; of course, he knew I was using it) I have a few favourites in the series, they will get a 5
Nira Ramachandran
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nira by: Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
This book really brings out the ingenuity, doggedness and sheer courage of the three investigators Exploring a haunted castle is a terrifying experience, which leads most visitors to the castle rushing out and tearing down the steep, boulder strewn path, and the three young detectives do the same. But what makes them different is that they return again and again in broad daylight and even late at night, facing weird music, floating phantoms and icy blasts of air, and even a rockfall, which burie ...more
Alex
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This holds up exceedingly well to childhood nostalgia. There are few stretches of plausibility, and evoking the effects of early films and the transition from silent to talkies was anachronistic at the time, aiding its aging gracefully.

The deliberate advanced vocabulary is distinctly more advanced than what I’ve run across in my re-visitation of Trixie Belden. The pacing and tension is excellent, as is the debunking. I am buckled in and ready to keep going through the series.
Larry C
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes revisiting a childhood favorite (movie, book, recipe) can harm those good memories if it's not enjoyable as an adult. Re-reading this book was a pure delight. Just as I remembered it to be: Hardy Boys with the fun spirit of Scooby-Doo. If you loved this series of books like I did, I can tell you, it's safe to go back and enjoy reading this again.
Tom
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the all of the Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators books as a kid. I found three books in the series at a second hand store. After reread The Secret of Terror Castle I have to say it still holds up. To be fair, the 4 stars may have more to do with my nostalgia that anything else.
Matej Mráz
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling story of 3 young lads going on to adventure. The tension throughout the story won't lead you down. It might be caused by the narrator of the story which is the man by himself Alfred Hitchcock. You can describe him like a beacon of mysteries in this book series
Scott Drake
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good. they're all good.
Logan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to really enjoy this series so started reading it to the boys. The plot is mostly plausible and creepy and mysterious and kept the kids constantly asking for more so that's a win!
Michelle Buck-Stovall
This is an interesting and fun read. If you are having a difficult time getting your little ones to read and they happen to like mysteries then this is the book for them. There are some twists and turns, it keeps the mind going, and it holds the reader interested. I highly recommend this book for everyone. I really liked how the three investigators look into everything, they aren't afraid to show that they are scared, and they support one another. They help show that friends come in all shapes a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Future Teachers, ...: Jack Review 6 1 1 Nov 23, 2016 05:40PM
What's the Name o...: Boys' mystery series of the 50's-70s. [s] 8 195 Feb 19, 2014 01:29AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #16 The Secret of Terror Castle 5 4 Feb 18, 2014 05:20PM

• The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • The House on the Cliff (The Hardy Boys, #2)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Die Welt der Drei Fragezeichen: Hintergründe, Fakten und Kuriositäten aus 50 Jahren
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • Five on Finniston Farm (Famous Five, #18)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • Die drei ??? Die Spur des Spielers (Die drei Fragezeichen, #168)
  • The Suitcase Kid
  • Die drei ??? Nacht in Angst (Die drei ???, #85)
  • While the Clock Ticked (The Hardy Boys, #11)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • Il mastino dei Baskerville
  • Traja kamoši a fakticky fantastický bunker
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)

News & Interviews

“Disembodied spirits,” said his partner, “are not known to use telephones. Neither are spooks, phantoms, or werewolves.”

“That was in the old days. Why shouldn’t they change with the times and be modern, too?”
8 likes