Start by marking “Shiver” as Want to Read:
Shiver

Shiver

They don't know what I did. And I intend to keep it that way.

How far would you go to win? Hyper-competitive people, mind games and a dangerous natural environment combine to make the must-read thriller of the year. Fans of Lucy Foley and Lisa Jewell will be gripped by spectacular debut novel Shiver.

When Milla is invited to a reunion in the French Alps resort that saw the p
Published January 21st 2021 by Headline (first published October 27th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Shiver, please sign up.
Dominique Fredericks I have absolutely no clue about snowboarding, but could not put this book down! Of course it would be nice to know exactly what they were talking abou…moreI have absolutely no clue about snowboarding, but could not put this book down! Of course it would be nice to know exactly what they were talking about in certain parts where they describe different types of tricks and jumps, but this did not take anything away from the book for me. I would highly recommend it.(less)

Start your review of Shiver
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm really not sure why this book worked so well for me, but I absolutely loved this debut novel from Allie Reynolds. As someone who has mostly stayed away from thrillers of all kinds over the past calendar year, I have to say it's done wonders for enabling me to enjoy them again. Here we have an atmospheric, character driven novel of suspense, and picking it up during the snowy days of winter was the correct choice. While snowboarding is a huge theme in the plot, you don't have to have any know ...more
Debra
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Hats off to Allie Reynolds on her debut novel!

The synopsis alone grabbed my attention, but the writing and plot sealed the deal.

A reunion in the French Alps sounds wonderful doesn't it? Except when you are stranded at a mountain top resort, during a snowstorm and there is no staff on site. Plus, this reunion comes with some stress, ten years earlier, one of them, Saskia went missing and has never been found.

Milla accepts the invitation to the reunion getaway at Le Rocher, believing sh
Kelli Wilson
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well tickle me silly Miss Allie Reynolds!

In her novel debut I found excitement, suspense and A LOT of snow!!

The story takes place at a European professional skier training site. There are alternating timelines. A view from when the group has a reunion at the training site and ten years earlier when the group first trained together. The group had fallen apart after one member mysteriously disappeared and has never been found.

They will not see each other again until they arrive for a tense reunio
Michael David
To the mood-reader folks who live in extremely cold conditions like I do at this time of year (particularly this day!), SHIVER could be the book for you.

Milla is thrilled when she receives an invitation to meet up with old snowboarding friends at a ski resort where they got to know each other years prior. Yet, when they arrive, the resort has no staff, the cable cars are no longer working, someone has hidden their cell phones, and they are essentially in the middle of nowhere.

5 friends regroup,
Carolyn
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut, 2021, suspense, mystery
Ten years before Milla was close to joining the ranks of elite snowboarders and had hope of being selected for the British Olympic team. She saved up enough to quit work and spend an entire winter training for the British Open at the Le Rocher resort in the French alps. There she met a group of other top snowboarders and they quickly become friends training and socialising together. Milla was so determined to concentrate on training, that she ignored her attraction to one of the guys, Curtis on ...more
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Oh my...Allie Reynolds, this is amazing! As soon as I read the synopsis for Shiver I knew that I had to read it. Thank you to the lovely Allie and Hachette Australia for sending me an ARC.

Full review to follow closer to release date in January - but I couldn't put it down. I even got up early on a Saturday morning to finish it - unheard for me!!

Shiver is a book that I was really excited to read and it did not disappoint. A story of 5 professional snowboarding friends who return to the scene of t
Javier
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

WOW! Just wow! My mind is still reeling this is a debut novel. Kudos Ms. Reynolds for such a spectacular debut!

When I read the synopsis of Shiver last year I knew this would be one of my most anticipated reads of 2021 and it certainly delivered! The setting in an isolated lodge on a glacier in the French Alps was incredibly atmospheric and I could truly feel the cold while reading (I even checked my heating had not stopped working). It
Frank Phillips
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've decided to be much pickier this year in my ratings, and my 5 star reviews will be very hard to come by. That being said, giving this book 5 shining stars was a total no-brainer for me. I'm a former collegiate athlete, and this book not only touched every imaginable aspect required for me in a fantastic thriller, but it also satiated my competitive juices that I've always had. I felt as though I were present amongst this group of former competitive athletes, and I felt right at home (until t ...more
Arna
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Locked room mystery set in snowy mountains, what more could you want 😍

I’m obsessed with books set in snowy, remote settings so I could not resist this one and it definitely delivered a whole lot of snow. ❄️

Told in alternating timelines that weave in and out seamlessly, we learn about the events leading up to Saskia’s disappearance that everyone had something to prove and could be a suspect which was done so well.

There is a lot of snowboard talk, mostly in the past Timeline as it’s based around
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
Five snowboarding friends are brought together again at an isolated resort in the French alps for a reunion weekend. They had last been together 10 years ago, training and preparing for the British Open (presumably snowboarding) competition and potential Olympic selection. But when they arrive the place is dark and deserted. But surely there should be somebody there - shouldn’t there? Meet Milla, Curtis, Brent, Heather and Dane (these last two are now married). Missing from the group are Saskia, ...more
Diana | Book of Secrets
If you're needing a chilling winter thriller, SHIVER is it! This gripping locked-room mystery is set in a deserted ski resort in the French Alps, and Milla & four friends, all former snowboarding competitors, are invited to a reunion weekend there. The only one missing is the sixth member of their group who disappeared at that same location a decade ago and is presumed dead. (OK, right away, what a disturbing place for a reunion!)

I loved the frozen, desolate, and desperate atmosphere the author
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Ko-fi

Shiver by Allie Reynolds is one of the most intense thrillers I have read this year, and I am so glad I came across it. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher – Headline, for approving me the ARC copy. Also thanks to the team at Tandem, for letting me join the readalong and chat with amazing people while reading the book.

Synopsis:

When Milla is invited to a reunion in the French Alps resort that saw the peak of her snowboarding career,
Amanda
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Milla is invited to a reunion at Le Rocher by one of her friends, that she has not seen in ten years. Her friends Curtis, Dale, Brent and Heather had spend a lot of time together ten years ago, when they were competing in a snowboarding championship. The friends had separated when one of the group had gone missing and was never found!

The resort is empty and soon after arriving strange things start to happen, is it one of the friends or is there someone who means them harm.

The story is told fro
Susan
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a cold, and icy, January, this was the perfect weather to read this thriller, set around a group of snowboarders. Before I go any further, I should say that I have never been snowboarding, or skiing, and have no interest in doing so. However, you do not need to have any knowledge about those sports to enjoy this.

Our main character is Milla, who is invited to a reunion weekend at a resort in Le Rocher. Ten years ago, she was training for a snowboarding competition, but after a tragedy that yea
Anissa
This was the perfect read for a snowy weekend (especially when the Superbowl is... not as good or competitive a game as you had anticipated). This totally saved my Sunday night with a taut conclusion.

There's quite the cast of characters and none of them are loveable but they were interesting. Each kept me engaged wondering what were their motivations, secrets, lies and prospects of being the murderous one of the group. The answers came slowly as the story is told from one POV (Milla's) and it's
Katie
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this down!!!! Talk about a thriller with tension ratcheting up with every chapter! I wasn't totally convinced after the first few chapters because I don't give a crap about winter sports (or any sport for that matter) but the setting in snow covered mountains, with giant crevices in the snow and the risk of avalanche, was so gripping! The location and weather were truly a moody, and dangerous character in their own right!

Def a favorite of 2021. Totally compulsive, twisty and shock
Heidi
Edgy closed-door mysteries are a joy to read, and SHIVER fell firmly into this category – it’s hard to believe that this is Allie Reynolds’ debut novel!

Firstly, we have an atmospheric setting, a ski retreat high up in the French Alps. This seems to be a popular theme in mysteries right now, but so far no one has pulled it off as well for me as Reynolds, because she has kept it simple and believable without trying too hard to fit in 100 plot twists. A lonely glacier, five friends who share a terr
Liz Barnsley
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this. Like an 80s classic horror film but brought bang up to date, as a group of friends are stranded on a glacier top whilst a killer lurks. Chilly, atmospheric and highly addictive. My first "one to watch" for 2021. Full review much nearer the time. ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘It’s that time of year again. The time the glacier gives up bodies.’

After ten years apart, five friends reunite at a resort in the French Alps. Last time they were together, Milla was at the peak of her snowboarding career. Last time they were together, Saskia, one of their friends, disappeared. She has not been seen since. Milla would prefer to forget the events of that winter, but the invitation from Curtis intrigues her.

The friends arrive: Curtis, Milla, Brent, Dale, and Heather. But what i
Kate
I do love winter chillers and Shiver is a hugely entertaining example of one. The author clearly knows her snowboarding as the book is filled with the drama, exhilaration and danger of the halfpipe, a competition I enjoy watching and will have even more respect for now. An excellent mystery and a pageturner for sure. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Allie Reynolds' full-length debut is a triumph!
In a clever variation on the classic "locked room" mystery, five erstwhile friends are invited to an off-season reunion at the French Alps resort where, ten years previously, they gathered in advance of the British Snowboarding Championships. It's also ten years since the disappearance of the alluring but malicious Saskia Sparks, high on the Glacier du Diable where they're now meeting up again.
As the group realise they're alone and isolated high on
Heather R
ATTENTION! Now hear this! Allie Reynolds is ONE TO WATCH and you heard it here first! WOW. Or should I say ... BRRRR! This debut novel is an ice-cold thrilling chiller of a book. Watch out Ruth Ware, Shari Lapena, and Lisa Jewell. If this debut is any indication, Allie is coming for you — or rather your spots on the bestseller lists! If you liked “The Guest List” or “One By One,” this book is your jam.

For me, Shiver came *so* close to a 5-star read. Why no 5 star from me? Well, it’s going to sou
Calzean
I can see this book as a movie/TV series. A group of young athletic snowboarders in the French Alps would make for great vision.
A story of a group of friends united after a tragedy 10 years previously. Chapters are alternated between the friends competing as snow boarders across one season and later in a strangely orchestrated reunion in the French Alps. In the reunion, strange events occur and it gets more mysterious. In the earlier part, a psychopathic competitor does everything to win.
The fi
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

Wow! What an awesome debut novel! This was a great read and I felt transported to the snowy, shivery Alps. Curling under my blanket whilst reading, I gasped at the revelations and could not put it down until I had concluded this novel.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Denise
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chilling mystery set in the French Alps on a deserted ski resort brings old friends -- and fierce former competitors -- together for a very scary reunion.

It's been 10 years since events that once bonded them all together resulted in all these years without contact. Milla Anderson is a bit apprehensive about catching up, but heads off to Le Rocher with lots of memories. The first strange thing is that the resort is completely empty and nothing seems to be working including the cable cars that t
Dennis
3.5 stars!

Mini review: If you like Lucy Foley, Shari Lapena, or Ruth Ware, then Allie Reynolds' Shiver will be right up your alley! This book goes by pretty fast, even at 400 or so pages. Immediately I felt that the book had An Unwanted Guest, The French Girl, or One by One vibes. Of course, this book has its own compelling story of its own. I really enjoyed the traditional mystery plot that the author conveyed in the narrative. I will definitely stay tuned for next steps from the author and
Darla
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
This debut thriller made me shiver in more ways than one. I really needed some hot tea while reading this one. Five people return to a resort just below a glacier just ten years after their band of snowboarders was splintered. There once were seven, but one disappeared (presumed dead in a crevasse) and one had a crippling fall at their last competition. The resort is strangely deserted, not even any staff in sight. When the ice breaker game is rigged and their phones disappear, they all begin to ...more
The Book Review Café
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shiver reminds me of the 1980’s scary movies I was so fond of, coupled with an Agatha Christie who dunnit vibe. It’s a psychological thriller set in a remote lodge in the French Alps, five friends reunite who haven't seen each other in over ten years, the last time they met it ended with the disappearance of the beautiful and enigmatic Saskia. When you hear the word “reunion” as part of a psychological thriller description it doesn’t bode well, and as reunions go this is an explosive one.

When I
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/12/28/...

When they were young, they thought they were invincible. Now a group of former pro snowboarding friends are reunited a decade after the height of their careers. But only five of them have made it—Milla, Curtis, Brent, Heather, and Dale. Missing are Odette, who none of them have seen much of since the catastrophic accident that left her paralyzed from the neck down, and of course, Saskia, who is dead.

Like the others, our na
Zacks Books
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a locked-room mystery which tend to be trope I enjoy. this one was pretty good. its between a 3.75-4 stars. I would recommend for a fast read and if you do like the snowstorm locked-room vibe, you'll get that with this book ...more

• The Sanatorium
  • In Five Years
  • My Lovely Wife
  • The Burning Girls
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Proposal (The Wedding Date, #2)
  • Beach Read
  • Blood Orange
  • The Downstairs Neighbor
  • After the End
  • The Last Thing to Burn
Allie Reynolds is the author of the thriller SHIVER, out now! SHIVER has sold in 23 territories and will be translated into 22 languages. She's currently writing her next thriller.

Born and raised in the UK, Allie moved to Queensland Australia in 2004. She lives by the beach with her two young boys and a cat who thinks he's a dog.

Many years ago she competed at snowboard halfpipe. These days she sti