Start by marking “Lacuna” as Want to Read:
Lacuna

Lacuna

A boychild swathed in green, a distinct tree-shaped birthmark on his wrist. A girlchild enveloped in red, marked with the three lines of the desert winds. A boy bundled in white, the koi mark on his wrist as defined as his shock of red hair. And a boychild wrapped in black, a raven his mark to serve his fate.

~ ~ ~

Twenty-five years ago, the hand of fate marked four newborns
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 366 pages
Published October 23rd 2020 by Blue Heart Press

To ask other readers questions about Lacuna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lacuna

Start your review of Lacuna
Cadiva
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well that was a cracker!

I absolutely adore fantasy, it's my first love and I'm always really happy to see more authors in the MM genre writing it and with Lacuna, Nic does an excellent job of not only creating a fully immersive world, but bedding a romance into the heart of the narrative.

The premise is simple, four kingdoms, four rulers, one rare event requiring them all to gather, then betrayal and threat from outside forces. But it's the way she then weaves the culture of her creation into th
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Could've Been G.R.E.A.T*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

This book was quite interesting. In the beginning, I truly did not want to put the book down. I felt such an excitement. The concept was enjoyable and I liked the characters. However, while the book didn't turn bad per se, I lost a bit of... excitement about half way through simply because of (view spoiler) That said, it was st
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
believe it or not this is my first N.R. Walker and it was pretty good. i'll go with 3.5 ⭐️.

the world building was pretty good and it's clear Walker did her research and folded it into the narrative. this reminded me a several different things but mostly The Fifth Element with the whole 4 corners/4 elements thing, plus nasty creatures that show up and ruin everything with their stench and general grossness.

i would forewarn anyone looking for a strong romance story to look elsewhere. this is a slo
Ariana
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

Mixed feelings here, I’m afraid. I’ve read a good number of books by N.R.Walker and with very few exceptions have usually enjoyed her books. Not that this one would go anywhere near my ‘wasn’t for me’ shelf. But … (Please beware of rant ahead!)

What’s on the positive side:

.) Crow and Tancho are both likeable characters: Crow’s more the rough and gruff one while Tancho has a calm and chilled vibe going on. A pretty good match!

.) I do like the ‘forced bonds’ theme a lot, and together with
Santy
First things first: WHY DID THE BOOK HAVE TO ENNDDDD??? *wails*

I've always loved fantasy;especially when its done right and boy did N.R. Walker write the heck out of this story! It gripped me from the beginning and did not let go until it was ready to do so.

It had solid world building, fantastic characters, proper villains and such a slow burn romance that when the two protagonists finally got it on, I was ecstatic .

Let me tell you this,I enjoyed every single aspect of the story and if there w
Achim
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 0-ku, 1-high-fantasy
2.5
There are so many books from N.R. Walker I love and I enjoy reading fantasy, so there I had no doubt that I have to get Lacuna – but now that I read it I must say it was a difficult start.

Don't know why she decided to have the glossary at the very beginning. I was a bit overwhelmed by all those names and their meaning, by chemical mixtures and spells. Didn't know which one I have to remember later or if all the details are only nice to know and I get it all while reading anyway. Guess for me
Joyfully Jay
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

Are you looking for an epic high fantasy? Look no further than this book. Walker includes all the elements that make up an all-encompassing, fully fleshed out world. The world building here is intricate and dedicated, with twist and turns even I didn’t see coming. There’s a lot to love and explore here, but it’s best enjoyed reading it yourself, so I’m going to do my best to walk the fine line of not giving spoilers.

The characters in this novel are some of the be
Erica Chilson
I received a free copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars

Lacuna is an intriguing MM fantasy standalone from NR Walker.

The monarchs of four directional kingdoms are summoned to the center of their land for a celestial event that only happens every thousand years. Each destined ruler was marked with the element from their kingdom at birth, signifying they were to lead.

A unique setup within a fantasy realm, placing all the key players in direct contact with one another with
Tamara
Oct 18, 2020 marked it as maybe
I'm not sure about this book. N.R. Walker usually has great premises but her executions never live up to them imho.
This blurb sounds like something I'd really like, but I'm afraid I'll end up disappointed, like so many times before.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, romance
Lacuna is a standalone fantasy but I really, REALLY, hope to return to this world. I need more of Crow and Tancho, it's as simple as that!

Their world is split into four, with one ruler for each quarter. To ensure no fighting, there is a central command (if you like) but obviously, not everything can be good in paradise. I loved how each quarter was so different and how the people embodied their element. Crow and Tancho, without doubt, are my favourites and that is completely as it should be.

Whe
Lelyana
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG! For someone who's rarely read fantasy, I cannot put this book down! Hands down Nic Walker's variety genres are something I'm going to wait to read in the future!
Crazy about The Untamed on Netflix, Lacuna brought me to another adventure with Crow and Tancho and the whole gang!
I don't want to bother you with a retelling the story, you need to experience it first hand with them.
Just hoping that kind of 'door' exist in real life so we don't need to fly to go everywhere lol.
I enjoyed the banter
Rosabel
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
N.R. Walker to me is one of the best MM writers out there, I still re-read a lot of her books and she has written a lot of my favorite characters, so it is with a heavy heart that I have to say this didn't totally work for me.

When I started reading it I was totally invested in it, the worldbuilding was awesome as hell, the details that she described, the history in wich was based the story of the book, the whole fate and purpose of the marks, the meanings and mechanism were AWESOME!! But as you
WycEd Reader

Check out our full post for LACUNA on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Erica – ☆☆☆☆
Lacuna is an intriguing MM fantasy standalone from N.R. Walker.

Kristel
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sort of enemies to lovers, two kings bonded against their will, a mysterious enemy, an eclipse that will reveal everything! I loved it so much!! Crow and Tancho were magnificent with their banter, how much they wanted to kill each other while at the same time they wanted to kiss each other. Yep, the bond made them feel the feels they both felt but tried to challenge and avoid, unsuccessfully. It was hilarious! Very entertaining, very hot, and so very sweet. I found myself saying "awww" out lou ...more
Ejiro Emonina
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m lost for words. Simply amazing
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Oct 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
*me, tossing books onto my tbr pile* so yeah this is why I think I'd be a great pitcher for your team because I'm good at throwing things really far and making sure no one touches them *tbr mountain wobbles ominously*
Sanaa
3.5 stars.

Not a bad book by any means but I'm just bored. I liked the beginning well enough but its a very long and slow book!
cupcakes and bookshelves
I love MM fantasy and Lacuna is especially fabulous. A standalone read leaving me craving to know more from Crow and Tancho. Wonderfully, wonderful storytelling.

*Copy kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much*
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Wow. This is a compelling, addictive fantasy adventure. I loved every moment of the world building, the action and the sizzling sexual tension between Crow and Tancho.

Like all good fantasy, this story throws readers into a complicated, captivating world from the very first page. While Walker’s world is quickly recogniseable, relying heavily on familiar fantasy tropes, it is important to remember that this is a genre that has rep
Lisa
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Lacuna was N.R. Walker's first fantasy, enemies to lovers book, and what a novel! Four different individuals from 4 Kingdoms are brought together for the first time in 25 years to fulfill their legacies under the Golden Eclipse Ceremony. Tancho and Crow are opposites in every way and dislike each other on sight. Crow, King of Northlands, is stoic and strong like the icy mountains that surround his kingdom. Tancho, King of the Westlands, is fair-minded, quiet, and rules with a gentle hand.

Both me
Katie Townsend
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading and following crow and tancha's journey

I loved every part of this story i was definitely hooked from page one to the very last page

With lacuna you get action fantasy fate and moments that have you on the edge of your seat and sometimes going wow and no way just perfect

I felt like i was in medieval times with crow and tancha and their story

Crow and tancha absolutely stole my heart and will be a story that stays with me
Amanda
Devoured this book

Well how to describe this book. Fantastic is one way but it is more than that, it drags you along and is so entertaining and different that you just read and enjoy.

It had glimpses of Matthew Reilly's Contest and the humour of TJ Klune's Lightning Struck Heart and then throw in the ability to slow time.

Just enjoy the journey and I am so hoping there is more to come
kathleen
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though I don't typically read fantasy, N.R. Walker is an auto buy for me. I know I am always in for a good read.
She has done an amazing job with the world building. You will be hooked from the beginning and completely drawn into the story.
Tancho and Crow's connection jumps out at the reader. I'm happy I went along on the adventure.
Stephanie
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love fantasy stories and I love N.R. Walker's writing. So I can't even tell you how much I love this story. I love Crow and Tancho's story. I am pull into these two journey and the world that has been created. I just couldn't get enough of this story and I didn't want it to end. Absolutely amazing!
Bobby Ross
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a cover! Pulled me in and didn't disappoint, though I'll freely admit I do love me some enemies-to-lovers, even if this is on the lite side. Loved the world, loved the romance, loved the humor, loved all the side characters, and loved that it was a complete story. I hope we get a sequel, the groundwork is there, but it works as a standalone, and that's how I like it if I'm kept waiting for number two!

(\__/)
(=’.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(”)_(”) reviews to help him ga
Claudia
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, lgbt, fantasy
4,5 stars for this story. The world building was very interesting and the characters were great, especially the secondary characters were a hoot.
It seemed for me maybe a bot too easy .... but the reason for that xan be that I read J. C. Owens before, whose books are mostly dark.

I really hope we'll get another book in this series with the same MCs ...there are future possibilities
Gabi
4 stars.

I waited not very patiently for Lacuna's release date. Took me a while to find the time to read it but when I did I need to say I wasn't disappointed. Honestly, it wasn't what I expected. The story took a few turns that I didn't see coming after it had already started from a very different place than what I had imagined from the blurb. I still really liked tho. Just needed a few days after finishing to be ready to write this review.

Very well written but with a few editing mistakes (a h
Jade

“Our birthmarks might have drawn us together, but my heart is yours.”

Crow and Tancho have been bound by destiny but parts of that destiny have been hidden in duty and tradition but under the looming eclipse it begins to unravel in many ways and new friendships are formed.

This was really exciting and fun and I enjoyed it a lot.
It's a slow burn but with sexual tension that
continue to burn brighter.
There is possessive grumpy jealousy which is mostly hilarious and I loved it. There is annoyan
Pontiki
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Crow and Tancho are kings of their lands, meeting with the other two rulers and a central governing group to celebrate the Golden Eclipse that happens once every thousand years.

All of their peoples have lived in peace, but Westland is attacked by blue monsters while Tancho is away, which begin the unravelling of the sinister Elders trying to take over the world.

Crow is a loner, living in his icy cold Northland cAdtle, but Tancho brings life and colour to him. Though in the beginning, their bir
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Turning Pages At ...: Lacuna by N. R. Walker (M/M Buddy Read) 13 15 Nov 17, 2020 12:45PM

• Fix It Up (Torus Intercession, #3)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Watch Me
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Blind Warrior (Weavers Circle #3)
  • Healing Aiden (Lords of Discord #5)
  • Rueberry Orchard (Beyond the Realm: Remember #1)
  • How to Save a Human (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #4)
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)
  • A Long Way Back (Unfinished Business #2)
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • The Soldati General (Soldati Hearts, #3)
  • Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)
  • Treasured
  • Jonty's Christmas (Unfinished Business #1.5)
  • Billy & The Beast (Ever After, New York, #3)
  • Short Stack (Mixed Messages; Finding Home)
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa

News & Interviews