Start by marking “Be a Dick: How One Person Can Change the World in the Most Unexpected Way” as Want to Read:
Be a Dick: How One Person Can Change the World in the Most Unexpected Way

Be a Dick: How One Person Can Change the World in the Most Unexpected Way

Hardcover
Published September 18th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Be a Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Dick

Start your review of Be a Dick: How One Person Can Change the World in the Most Unexpected Way
David Geschke
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh... my... God. This book is incredible. I want to read it again right away, it’s that good. To me, this is one of the best books I’ve ever read. I absolutely loved it. And I don’t think it’s even been released for public consumption yet. I got an advance copy because I know the author. Now, you might think my review is skewed by that fact, but Marc and I became friends years ago because we’re both bass players and early users of the internet. So, when your friend who’s a bass player writes a b ...more
Erin Foggoa
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is what the world needs. I will go so far as to say the world needs more Dick! A great deal more Dick! Dicks EVERRRRYYWHERE.

(Pause now for strong mental image of Oprah yelling "you need a Dick! and you need a Dick!" ...now you may proceed.)

In a time when lowercase dicks abound, waving their absolutely limp trash all over the media, social or otherwise, it is refreshing to see a Dick one can get behind. This has been a rough year, and this book promises to lift your spirits, make you g
Phil Gerbyshak
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to change the world, start by being a Dick.

No really. It’s a very good thing.

Marc Ensign takes 12 year old humor to a whole new level and infuses it with a side of lessons from his neighbor Dick. Lessons you and I can use to make our world a better place.

We all need a little more Dick in our lives. Maybe you can be one too! I’m committed to trying.
Steven Zavertnik
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was a wild ride. This book does an amazing job of telling story in a way that connects with the reader. Specifically for me, there were many times I felt the Marc was describing my own internal dilemmas and experiences I've had. I laughed, I cried, and most importantly I reflected on some things I need to work on to better myself.

This story does the best job of teaching life lessons in a practical way that makes you want to do the work to be a better person after reading it. I'm proud
Mia Voss
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've known about this story for quite a while and was excited to see Dick finally make it into written form. I love how the book is set up in what I would call "parables" where the actions, habits & deep down character of Dick is applied in different action forms. Marc is frigging genius with the way he weaves in humor (my fave), inspiration, curiosity, sadness, frustration & triumph into a page-turner.

It's the perfect book, especially at a time when being a dick is the norm. Well done, Marc Ens
Shari Boettcher
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining book that reminds us of how being a good person can have a positive impact on yourself and those around you, even a complete stranger. We definitely need more Dicks in the world, now more than ever!
Jake Wright
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very, very quick read. A good little reminder about the type of person we all should strive to be. Maybe thin on advice about how to actually get there (mostly just “decide to be better and then do it...”), but hopeful, funny, and good to reframe the old mind a bit.
Dave B
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't know what to expect by the title but curiosity got me.
I found it very relatable, from his awkward days to finding out that...I'm often a Dick myself. And that's a good thing! This is an inspiring read that I would recommend to anyone but I would have loved this in high school or college.
Have gifts to purchase?
Nathasha Alvarez
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book is called, "Be A Dick." But it's not that kind of Dick. It's a story about how Marc met a person who influenced him so much that Marc had to write about him.
I think that's flattery to the highest extent.
Now, the book.
The book is an easy read. This makes the book a great gift for the holidays. You can give it to co workers, friends, family, teens. It's like Chicken Soup for the Soul because it makes you feel good. And it makes you feel like being good to others.
If I had to pick one reaso
Brenda Ilana
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite thing about Dick is he is not who you think he is. Dick has many virtues that could inspire others to be better human beings. He is kind, compassionate, and very humble although he has may notable accomplishments. Dick shows that he cares about others and makes them feel important, no matter how old or young they are. I highly recommend this book to anyone feeling down about the state of the world including the pandemic that we are currently are living in. It made me feel better. It ...more
Carolyn Capern
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The quintessential Mister Rogers' Neighborhood parable for the Internet age. I've been waiting for this book since I first read the blog post multiple years ago. It has been worth the wait to have the full story told this beautifully.

In this challenging year, it is wonderful to read a true story about how kindness can change the world. It will make you think about all the Dicks in your life. And it will help you find (or rediscover) the motivation to be more like them.
John
Oct 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One person can perhaps change the world, but not this incompetent writer. He has the sense of humor and maturity of a teenager in middle school. Unimpressive. The previous reviews were most assuredly written by friends and family members.
Beryl Li
Oct 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly for such a short book, I learned a lot. The association with a person and the catchy title mean the book works two-fold.
Guithrit
Sean Estes
Nov 28, 2020
Shane Mahoney
Marc Ensign
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Josiah Aston
Nov 26, 2021
Marc Ensign
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lueers
Shahnaz Aura
May 26, 2021
Lonny White
Nov 08, 2020

• Philosophy 101: From Plato and Socrates to Ethics and Metaphysics, an Essential Primer on the History of Thought
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World (Aristotle and Dante, #2)
  • How to Be a Boss B*tch
  • The Anthropocene Reviewed
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • Ariadne
  • Not a Happy Family
  • Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life
  • Do It Scared: Finding the Courage to Face Your Fears, Overcome Adversity, and Create a Life You Love
  • We Are the Brennans
  • Ready Player Two (Ready Player One, #2)
  • The Last Flight
  • Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars

News & Interviews

As the final days of the year tick themselves off the calendar, the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge is coming to a close. Sincere...