Start by marking “Before the Crown” as Want to Read:
Before the Crown

Before the Crown

We all know the story of what happened after Princess Elizabeth married Prince Philip – but what about before they were married? What was their love story?
A marriage spanning more than seven decades.

A match that was deemed unsuitable.

A man she wouldn’t give up.

Step through the palace gates and discover the greatest love story of the 20th century.

A prince without a country,
Audiobook
Published September 25th 2020 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about Before the Crown, please sign up.
Veronica According to the publisher, it'll be out Sept 17, 2020 :)…moreAccording to the publisher, it'll be out Sept 17, 2020 :)(less)

Start your review of Before the Crown
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw the cover of this book it took my breath away with its beautiful rendering of Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II) as a young woman, dressed to the nines in a formal gown and sash, viewed from behind. It carried an air of mystery, glamour, and expectation. She married Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten in 1947 when she was 21 years old, so that means they've been married for over 70 years! I've watched documentaries and read biographies over the years where it's often said tha ...more
Tina
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First- that cover!!! 👸🏻 I thoroughly enjoyed this fictionalized account of the courtship and engagement and eventual wedding of the then Princess Elizabeth of York and Prince Philip of Greece.

I'm an avid Royal watcher and especially love the British Royal Family so this book was a real treat for me! From all my readings and watching interviews of this couple I feel that a lot of this book seemed pretty realistic. Who really knows what happens and what is said behind closed doors? I do feel Fiona
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
I very much enjoyed this fictitious look into the life of a young future Queen Elizabeth and her relationship with Philip Mountbatten up to their wedding.

Born to one day assume the throne of England, Elizabeth was a girl trained to not only rule, but to build a character of strength, resilience and the overwhelming job of keeping her emotions in check. Philip on the other hand, even though he was a Prince of Greece, gave up his title to become a British citizen after he had determined his need t
Karren  Sandercock
Before the Crown is a fictional story about the budding romantic relationship between Princess Elizabeth and the dashing Navy officer Lieutenant Philip Prince of Greece. Princess Elizabeth first met Philip when she was thirteen, he made quite an impression on her and he was her first teenage crush. Elizabeth was seventeen when she met Philip again, he was serving in the Navy during WW II and they kept in contact by writing letters to each other. Her parents King George and her mother Queen Eliza ...more
Annette
This is a story of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip of Greece, perhaps better known as Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. It brings a time when Philip is courting Elizabeth and fighting an uphill battle of monarchy’s disapproval of him.

Windsor Castle, 1943. Seventeen-year-old Princess Elizabeth is eager to see Prince Philip. They’ve met a few years earlier in London and she’s been smitten with him ever since. Philip is a handsome lieutenant in the Royal Navy.

Elizabeth is ready f
Tahera
Princess Elizabeth, heir to the throne of the most successful and richest monarchy in the world. Quiet, shy, reserved sensitive, dutiful.

Prince Philip, a Prince without a kingdom and no personal wealth. Outgoing, cheeky with a cutting wit/humour, a ladies man, a rebel.

In many sense this match shouldn't have worked at all. Even Princess Elizabeth's parents were against it. But marry him she did and 73 years later, their marriage is still solid.

Before the Crown tells us the behind the scenes st
Regina
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you or are you not a fan of “The Crown” on Netflix? The answer to that question will likely determine if you’ll have any interest whatsoever in this novel.

Personally, I love the show. Watched all the episodes at least twice actually. And you know how it is when you binge a series and just can’t wait for the next season? You do what you can to fill the void. It’s like you’re craving your grandma’s homemade chocolate chip cookies, but you only get to visit her once a year. So you go to the gr
Literary Redhead
I grabbed BEFORE THE CROWN because of the sumptuous cover (so like Queen Claire Foy). And the story of Elizabeth and Philip’s early courtship ... swoon!

I’m a royal junkie and this fictional retelling was everything I hoped for and more.

It’s 1943 at Windsor Castle. The gorgeous duo are falling in love. But he’s foreign and deemed unfit as a future prince as war threatens Britain’s existence. How do they overcome the thorny obstacles to marriage?

Suggest you take this entrancing book, berry scones
Julie Griffith Buckley
Flora Gardner's Before the Crown is an engaging tale of the courtship between Princess Elizabeth of England and Prince Phillip of Greece. Harding presents Elizabeth as a young woman burdened by the knowledge of the impact that her future duty as queen will have upon the life she will be able to lead. Smitten with Phillip, as she gets to know him better, she falls in love with him and hopes to marry him. Because she outranks Phillip, it falls to her to propose. But does he care about her? And if ...more
Louise Wilson
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This historical fiction novel tells us about the courtship between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. We learn of the complications they faced once they had announced intention to marry. The story takes place before they are married. Elizabeth was determined to marry Philip. Her father did not approve of Philip, however he is eventually won over.

Although this piece of fiction may not be historically accurate, it's a most enjoyable read. This book has everything a good historical fiction book sh
Gloria Arthur
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐️4 Stars⭐️
I adored this, it was a charming story and what a beautiful cover!

Before the Crown is historical fiction and a behind the scenes look into the courtship of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. We follow their friendship, courtship and the lead up to their wedding. It wasn’t a passionate courtship but more of an arrangement between the pair.

In the wake of World War II Princess Elizabeth comes face to face with the handsome Naval Officer Prince Philip of Greece who she had first met nine
Jypsy
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley, Harper Collins UK and One More Chapter for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

Before The Crown
By: Flora Harding

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
Historical fiction, particularly of the royal, regent or romantic variety, seems to be catching lately. I have always loved this genre, and I am glad to see others appreciating it, too. Before The Crown tells the tale of Queen Elizabeth and her husband of 70 years, Phillip, with a mix of historical
Caroline
This was fun. I really enjoyed the first half, after watching The Crown it really scratched an itch to be back in their world again. I liked reading about Philip’s family and childhood but about halfway it sagged for me and started to feel monotonous. Still a good read though.
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
For somebody who does not consider themselves to be a royalist, I have read alot of royal family based books this year. And I am a massive fan of The Crown! They are just such an interesting family, with their own unique way of life and traditions. While this is a work of fiction it is littered with historical facts. There is nothing wrong with learning something while you read!

Before The Crown is exactly what it sounds like. It is the story of Princess Elizabeth, the heir to throne, and Prince
Missy
After always being interested in the royal family, mainly because it is so different and fancy from what a rural farm girl from Iowa would ever see, I like to read about the royal family. Not much is known of Queen Elizabeth and her early years, how she met Philip, what their courtship was like, or even really their wedding, but this book brought that to life.

This book picks up in 1945 when Elizabeth and Philip really set eyes on each other and really begin the courtship that created the Englis
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook

A Love Story For The Ages

This book had me gripped. Flora Harding brings both the plot and the characters together she captures a time and place with such exquisite detail. Historical fiction fans and royal watchers, behold this book. Ms. Harding has woven a story about pre and post-war time England when times were terribly dismal – think rationing, jobs were grueling and often served only to make ends meet, if that, and life was just hard. But then Princess Elizabeth’s upcomin
Lee
I have a confession: I am not a monarchist - at all. #voteonerepulbicforAustralia I don’t dislike the Queen and the royals, I just don’t see their point or relevance for Australia and our modern values. So, with that in mind, I have to say... Harding must be basically a genius because I LOVED this book.

You might be wondering why I wanted to read this book then. Well, another confession is that I picked it because of its gorgeous cover. I mean, seriously, that’s a great cover.

The plot is obviou
Stephanie Anze
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth lives a fairly normal life that dramatically changes direction when her uncle abdicates the throne of England. Now her father is the king and she, the heir apparent. As the king, her father now has more royal responsabilities. One of them is to inspect the Royal Navy. That is when 13-year-old Elizabeth first meets a young and handsome lieutenant by the name of Philip. Elizabeth is quite taken by Philip and in the coming years the two begin to correspond. Soon a relationship blooms but ...more
Laura Tenfingers
I really enjoyed this story of the courtship and wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip. I'm not a particular follower of Royals, and everything I know about Queen Elizabeth II I learned from The Crown, but this was really engaging and kept me hooked. The romance was pretty depressing in my opinion, but also very believable. I would recommend it.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC. The opinions above are all my own.
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoyed “The Crown” series
I really enjoyed this! I felt like I knew young Elizabeth and Phillip as friends by the end. May sound silly, but it’s nice to be reminded that “Royals” are people just like everyone else, with the same inhibitions, hang-ups, and wishes to be loved fully for themselves.
A sure hit for anyone who enjoyed watching “The Crown” series. I’m going to re-watch it soon!

**I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are strictly my own.**
Debby*BabyDee
COVID-19 has enabled me to do a lot of extra reading at this time and I am thankful to have the opportunity to catch up on books on my “TBR” list. Always fascinated with The Royals, the Netflix series “The Crown” had me captivated as it was a very delightful and entertaining portrayal of the British monarchy.

Now on to Before the Crown by Flora Harding. This book is a fictional story of the courtship of Princess Elizabeth of England and Prince Philip of Greece. Prince Philip is from a family tha
Simon
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know the story of what happens to Prince Phillip & Princess Elizabeth after their milestone date of November 20, 1947 but what happens before? If you've ever wanted a peek into what that could possibly have been like, I highly recommend you pick up historical fiction author Flora Harding's debut novel Before the Crown.

This novel takes us from December 1943 when at that time Princess Elizabeth had her eye on her "prince" and takes us all the way to their momentous date of November 20, 1947
'Before the crown there was a love story…

Windsor Castle, 1943

As war rages across the world, Princess Elizabeth comes face to face with the dashing naval officer she first met in London nine years before.

One of the youngest first lieutenants in the Royal Navy, Philip represents everything she has always been taught to avoid. Instability. Audacity. Adventure.

But when the king learns of their relationship, the suitability of the foreign prince is questioned by all at court.

He is the risk she has ne
Dawnie
this is one of those books i have no clue how to talk about it, let alone review it in a helpful way.

it was interesting to see snippets into the lives of this couple and how they meet and got married.

but because we only got snippets of specific moments, never got the introduction, never got the moment after the wedding or even the actual wedding which would have been interesting since it was the entire build up of the book.

on top of that the writing in this book was so over simplified that j ha
M.  [storme reads a lot]
I really enjoy The Crown, but the flashbacks never share how Phillip and Elizabeth meet. You also never really get a lot of information about their marriage except for quick glimpses, so I am hoping for a book about the start of their marriage and when they have kids since the show just seems to rush over it very quickly. I had so many questions that were never answered, and I know this is historical fiction but it is fun to see what could have happened because of all the research this author pu ...more
Barbara
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few years ago, I read an advance copy of the biography Elizabeth The Queen. I enjoyed it, but I confess a novel can do things that a biography can’t. A novel can let our imagination soar with dialog that helps bring history to life. Before the Crown was much more my “cup of tea” than the biography about Elizabeth. It was fascinating to think about the responsibilities of the future queen, the rules and the difficulties in choosing a husband. I liked the way the author developed Phillip. I high ...more
Dóri
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars

Before the Crown is a very well written account on the iconic relationship between Elizabeth II and Prince Philip before getting married. This book, although considered fiction, provided so many interesting facts about the royal family at the time that I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in learning about them a bit.
I really enjoyed it, the only issue I had was that I found it dragging a lot, it was maybe too slow-paced for my taste. But then again if I think about it, i
Alysha Blackburn
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book! If you’re a fan of The Crown on Netflix, be sure to give this book a read! A lovely story of Elizabeth and Phillip’s whirlwind “romance”.
Karen
BEFORE THE CROWN
BY FLORA HARDING

This historical novel tells the story of Queen Elizabeth of England beginning when she was Princess Elizabeth at fourteen years old. Princess Elizabeth spots Philip while he was in the Royal Air Force visiting Windsor Castle watching a play being acted out consisting of Princess Elizabeth and her younger sister Princess Margaret. Princess Elizabeth is aware of Philip's presence and it seems that it was her nervousness upon acting with him watching is where this au
Lottie (The Disney Bookworm)
Thank you to Netgalley and Flora Harding for giving me the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Before the Crown is a beautiful historical novel which delves deep into the romance between Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip of Greece, perhaps better known as Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh.

However, this is not a traditional romance and Harding does not hold back in laying out all the struggles Elizabeth and Philip faced. From the King

• Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • Keep Her Safe
  • Chasing Lemurs: My Journey Into the Heart of Madagascar
  • Picnic in Provence: A Memoir with Recipes
  • Every Word You Cannot Say
  • The Sunset Sisters
  • Golden Poppies (Freedman/Johnson, #3)
  • The Babysitter
  • Death on the River Walk (Henrie O, #5)
  • The Fortune Hunter