Start by marking “Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)

Marked by Death

(Necromancer #1)

Asking a necromancer for help is scary; falling for him may be downright terrifying.

Published October 23rd 2020 by self-published

To ask other readers questions about Marked by Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marked by Death

Start your review of Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)
Kaje Harper
Oct 24, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Now available as a free read on Smashwords in all formats (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...) and hoping for an Amazon price match soon. ...more
Elena

I’m pretty sure the half rating is my fault this time. I’ve been having trouble concentrating on books and so I took longer than usual to read a pretty short story and I kept forgetting details about the world building, like the fact that the series is set in the 1960’s.
Despite my scattered brain, I enjoyed this first installment in a new Kaje Harper paranormal series—please, let it be a series and not just a duology, there are so many hints for future developments here!—very much.
I’m
annob
Wonderfully entertaining story set in an alternative 1960s where magic is part of society. I could vividly see it adapted to mini tv series format. The scenes came across with unusual visual clarity and with a very well paced action beat to them.

The romance was lovely too, both characters had a nice warmth to them as well as between them. Happy sigh! If I could have turned up the UST a tiny bit more, the book would have been my kind of perfect. But by no means did it take away or diminish my en
Tamara
Review:
This is the first installment in what has the potential to be a fun new paranormal series.

The setting is an alternate universe where magic existence is a known fact, and magic users are often ridiculed and made a joke of - which is fine, because they want it that way.
Darien has a problem - he hears voices, and has strange tattoos appear on his body overnight. He's heard of a necromancer who could help him, and although he really doesn't want to, he sets off to ask him for help.
Silas i
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~

This was very fantasy-lite. The world building was on the lackluster side but there was some good setup for where this could go in the future. The pacing felt off, very rushed with not enough time to really set up the characters or the world. That wasn't just apparent in the fantasy elements either (we're told more than see what the ghosts in Darien's head are doing to him) but also in the time and place the story is set, which is 1963 Somewhere, USA. If Silas hadn't mentioned the year
M'rella
Why 4 stars

- elements of horror involving very detailed battles with demons, which is not my thing.
- a permanent change to one of the MCs that I wasn't fond of.

Other than that I loved the story :)
Rosa
This was delightful. I absolutely loved this one and I'm looking forward to the sequel. The world and the take on magic and necromancy was really interesting and I liked the characters a lot, specially Grim. I loved that cat!
I was sad when this one ended, I felt this could have been even longer, there's so much potential in here. (view spoiler)
Dumbledore11214
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it

Darien Green's afraid he's going insane. The voices in his head are getting louder, weirder, and more numerous. But tattoos appearing on his skin say that there might be a magical reason, something other than his own brain going around the bend. He's worked up the nerve to ask the local necromancer for help. Now he just has to survive his encounter with tall, dark, and talks-to-ghosts.

Necromancer Silas Thornwood
Lisa
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Darien, a young man who hears voices and has tattoos spring up pn his body hoes to Silas, the local necromancer for help.
A nice start to a new series
Terri Jones
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this just after midnight, and am DELIGHTED that there's a preview! There's MORE!

This is an alternate 1960 with an intriguing magic system, kept secret, and how our guys meet. You will adore the familiar. Read this one.
Coco.V
Nov 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (11/5/2020)! 🎁
QuietlyKat
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this paranormal/fantasy worked for me! And that’s kind of a weird thing for me to say because y’all know I’m not a fan of insta-love and this was a bit insta. I mean Darien and Silas knew each other as kids but there’s an eight or nine year age gap and Silas moved away when Darien was 8 so there was no romantic thing happening when they knew each other back then. Yet, I believed their nearly instant comfort and trust in each other because of the bonds established in their youth. ...more
Simon
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this story. As much as I love Kaje Harper's style and writing, I seem to have overdosed recently reading paranormal and magical worlds, but I really enjoyed it. Magic, Familiars, Ghosts and Demons I really loved it and now waiting for the second instalment.
Susan
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbtq, paranormal
Finished the night before Election Day 2020, so there's a non-zero chance that my raging anxiety affected my ability to concentrate on and enjoy this book.

This book was originally serialized on Ms Harper's Facebook group page, and it reads that way. There are several peaks and valleys, instead of having the plot build up to a major conflict/resolution. I didn't fall in love with the MCs, but it was a promising enough start that I will read the sequel to learn more about this particular world of
Laks
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, paranormal, m-m, good
A necromancer rescues a young man riddled with ghosts and its the beginning of a new and unusual parternership.

We have cat familiars, demons possessed sorcerers and explosive magic at play here. Exciting start to a new series. Cant wait for the next book
Grace
3.5 rounded up

Interesting book with a world that pulled me in from the start. The world building was well done and I enjoyed the characters and their connection. A good sense of intrigue/mystery that has me looking forward to the next book. After all the build and tension, I was a bit disappointed by the absence of heat. Development was a bit rushed/lacking at times, likely due to the shorter length.
Mere Rain
This fun paranormal romance is currently free on Smashwords.

I read it when it was a serial freebie on the author's Facebook page, so I assume it is even better with edits! And there is going to be a sequel soon.
MacTíre
WOW
I couldn't put the book down.
That was such a great story! And so well written!
If I could give more than five stars, I would do it.
I can't wait for the next story.
Bibliophile
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Morgan  Skye
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I super duper loved this! This was full of magick and had a very quick moving plot and a lovely romance.

I hope we might see more from this world!

Grim was hysterical and I love it when the underdog ends up on top – so – highly recommended!

5 of 5 stars
Erin
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great start to a fun, magical series. I can't wait for more!
blue night
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
Good characters and other world imagery. Setting in the 1960s was...not so successful. Pretty sure no one said, “can you unpack that” about a statement in the 60s! Romance was minimal and steam was zero.
Penumbra
Marked by Death is the first book in the ‘Necromancer’ series. It’s told in third person through the eyes of Darien Green, a young man who’s possessed by ghosts, and Silas Thornwood, a powerful necromancer.

(view spoiler)
Maryann Kafka
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Darien Green has ghosts in his head. The only way he knows how to deal with this craziness is finding a necromancer. He knows just the place to find one.

He goes to an old mansion and awakens necromancer, Silas Thornwood. Aggravated by this person at his door, Silas lets him in and Darien collapses. After giving in and helping Darien both realize they know each other from years ago. Darien was nine when Silas was nineteen and going off to college. He recognized that Darien had a special power. To
Fran
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I sat down to read some of this and ended up skipping dinner and not going to bed until an hour after I normally would. It was awesome. I will definitely be following this series because wow. And let me tell you why.

Characters: I felt for Darien. Poor guy was on the verge of insanity or thinking he was already there. He was a tortured soul and I have a soft spot for those. I just want to hug them and make it all better. I cannot wait to hear more of his backstory and find out more about his futu
E.
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

“Marked by Death” by Kaje Harper follows Darien, whose mysterious tattoos are going to be the death of him. His desperate pleas to the local necromancer garner an unexpected connection to Silas, who is astounded at the young man who has passed through his wards. Aided by his familiar, Grimalkin, Silas seeks to make reparations for an omission that had unforeseen repercussions, and he forges a relationship that may change the course of magic forever.

This gay fantasy romance has dark mome
Jacqueleen the Reading Queen ♡
I enjoyed this start to a new series. It was full of magic and mystery. There were ghosts and demons. There was also the romance between Silas and Darien, although it was definitely slow going. The steam was minimal and sadly the one and only sex scene was fade to black. There was plenty of UST building up throughout the book so not getting to really read the details of the culmination of that kinda had me bummed. That was really my only niggle and totally a personal preference so take that as y ...more
Antonella
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5

This was a great read, maybe a bit too short, especially towards the ending.

It is set in an an alternate universe in the Sixties (even though the cover doesn't look like the Sixties to me), where the existence of magic is known, but homosexuality is still illegal.

I like the kind of magic in this universe, and I liked the characters. There was a bit of insta-love, even though (view spoiler). I appreciated the absence o
Leslie
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, protecting people does more harm than good. When Silas way to concealment word over young Darien to protect his magic from demons, he also protected him from other wizards. Damien never got the training he needed so when ghosts came knocking, he had no defenses. Thankfully, fate brought them together again.

The world building, Magic in the 1960s, is intriguing… If a little bit startling. For some reason Austin Powers with magical abilities just doesn’t seem like a good idea. Thankfully
Samantha
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More please!

I absolutely devoured this book! Top to bottom it was magnificent. The world building was fascinating, the characters were insanely interesting, the plot was gripping... This book had it all and then some and I can't wait for the next in this series.

Weird thing for me to absolutely LOVE but there were real consequences for the "make or break" decisions during their big fight. I kind of hate it when you almost die and everything is fine the next day, it makes it seem less real. No sp

• Treasured
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Fix It Up (Torus Intercession, #3)
  • Lacuna
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Requiem for Mr. Busybody
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
  • Rueberry Orchard (Beyond the Realm: Remember #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • The Edge of Heaven (Love Beyond Measure #1)
  • Sunshine & Shadows
  • How to Save a Human (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #4)
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • The Solstice Kings
  • Blind Warrior (Weavers Circle #3)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Smash & Grab (RELIC #1)
I get asked about my name a lot. It's not something exotic, though. “Kaje” is pronounced just like “cage” – it’s an old nickname, and my pronouns are she/her/hers.

I was born in Montreal but have lived for 30 years in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, where the mosquito is the state bird, and where winter can be breathtakingly beautiful. Minnesota’s a kind, quiet (i

Necromancer (2 books)
  • Powered by Ghosts (Necromancer, #2)

News & Interviews