Start by marking “Tarnished Empire (Dark Shores, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Tarnished Empire (Dark Shores, #0.5)

Tarnished Empire

(Dark Shores #0.5)

DEFIANCE IS TREASON. TREASON IS DEATH.

A siege is laid against the last resistance to the Senate’s rule. As the battle rages, a commander, a soldier, and a rebel will decide how far they are willing to go for victory.

THE COMMANDER

Marcus is forced to choose between destroying the rebel forces and liberating his legion. He must face the true cost of being a leader. And an opp
ebook
Expected publication: January 26th 2021 by CLA

To ask other readers questions about Tarnished Empire, please sign up.
Danielle Jensen Yes! You can absolutely read it first if you'd like, but you definitely want to read it prior to reading GILDED SERPENT, which is book 3 of the main s…moreYes! You can absolutely read it first if you'd like, but you definitely want to read it prior to reading GILDED SERPENT, which is book 3 of the main series!(less)

Start your review of Tarnished Empire (Dark Shores, #0.5)
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC, courtesy of Danielle L Jensen, in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars!!! But rounded up because of how much I enjoyed myself, of course! :D

description

For anyone who's wondering what the reading order is for this series:
- you can read Tarnished Empire
- you can read Dark Shores
AND
- you can read Dark Skies in any order
BUT ALL THREE MUST BE READ BEFORE READING Gilded Serpent!!!

In comparison to other prequels that I’ve read, this is more than a novella with over 200 pages
Stephenie
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Trust me when I say that a legion camp is more gossipy than a brothel, especially a camp sitting on its laurels. When we get bored we cause drama for the sake of entertainment."

This prequel takes place before Dark Shores, during one of their earlier conquests in Bardeen. Perfectly paced and layered, it kind of has it all. With my man Marcus gracing the cover and only 200+ pages, this short tale is packed with politics, jealousy, betrayal, humor and loss.

I love our two new characters: Agrippa, p
Richel (letsreadshallwe)
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“What good is proof when the culprit is judge and jury?”

Hail to the queen because Danielle L Jensen just played with my feelings again and I’m not even mad about it.

Set in the world of Dark Shores, Tarnished Empire is another masterpiece that I thoroughly enjoyed reading from the beginning till end. I am #TeamMarcus through and through however, the introduction of a new character in this world inspired by Ancient Rome made me question my loyalty.

This book made me laugh so much from the first f
Kelsea
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First I would like to say a BIG thank you to Danielle Jensen for providing me an ARC in exchange for my honest review! Like everything Danielle has written I absolutely LOVED this book!!

Tarnished Empire is a novel that takes place in the world of Dark Shores. I'd suggest reading it after Dark Shores but you can totally read it before too! But you DEFINITELY need to read it before reading Gilded Serpent (book 3). This book provided so much insight into Marcus and those of the 37th!! I loved seein
Kim
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, nov-20
With a lot of thanks to Danielle L Jensen whom provided me with an E-Arc edition of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have read the other two books of this series and I loved those. So when their was a posibility of me getting an e-arc for this book I took my change. And it did not dissapoint.

I loved how we got a look inside the world of Marcus before Dark Shores. And I really like it how sassy Danielle can make her characters. Also the amount of politics in this book is really nice
May
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
RTC
Sowmya (bookishelflife)
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
And my friends that’s how it’s done- Danielle Jenson is the master of her skill and this is another perfect example, detailed review to come ❤️
Katie Prouty
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"When will you Empire boys see that the path they push you down is not the path you must follow? When will you see that there is another option, if only you were willing to fight for it?"

A commander. A Solider. A rebel. Marcus, the Thirty-Seventh's legatus, has a budding reputation: Prodigy of Lescendor, the brightest mind, undefeatable, a strategic genius. He is forced to give Proconsul Plotius Grypus a strategy to conquer Hydrilla and stuck under the control of the older Legatus of the Twen
diana
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, sent-by-author
RTC
Cait | GoodeyReads
Thank you to the author, Danielle L. Jensen for an eARC!

A MUST READ.

BLOG || INSTAGRAM

Set in the Dark Shores world, this book about Marcus (and some new characters) is definitely worth the read. It’s especially recommended before Gilded Serpent (book three), but can be read at any time!

I loved this. So much. I love Marcus, and getting more of his background was exactly what I wanted. I didn’t realize how much I would fall in love with the other characters too. AGRIPPA? Yes, please. He is a new ad
Lora
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Marcus is fantastic and I am always a sucker for a broody man, but let me tell you, Agrippa has stolen my heart. His humor and joy in life are infectious. Yes he uses it like a shield, but I am ready to weasel behind it. This is classic DLJ creating fantastic characters and stories in an already amazing magical world.
Sabrina
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story! I will say that the other two books in this series were a bit slow in the beginning, but Tarnished Empire definitely was not. We jumped right into the action and this story was fantastic and has me excited for the final book coming out in the near future. This book follows three point of views, Marcus (who we know from Dark Shores), Agrippa, and Silvara, who are both two new characters. And I have to say Agrippa has become one of, if not, my favorite character from this series. ...more
Michelle
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Danielle L. Jensen never fails to impress me. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when coming into this prequel but I’m so glad to come back into this world. I’m writing this review as someone who has read Dark Shores and Dark Skies, loved them both but I don’t remember all of Dark Shores. I desperately need to re-read Dark Shores ASAP after reading this book.

Onto the characters...Marcus. I love him. I love his heart, mind, loyalty and the sacrifices he has made makes him one heck of a great lead
Karley Stafford
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Mazza
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

Thank you to the author for the free e-ARC!

I absolutely adore this series and the characters. I loved learning more about Marcus as he was paving his way. And more about how he ruled his legion. And I was also very interested in Agrippa and Silvara and I'm curious to see where or how they'll show up again in the future. The romance was believable and sweet. And the side characters all had excellent roles.

My favorite part of this series is that you can read Tarnished Empire, Dark Shores,
Maddy Leon Max
(4,5)

Danielle L. Jensen was kind enough to give me the (absolutely irresistible) opportunity to read Tarnished Empire before its release date (January 26th 2021) and I have no idea why I'm surprised but I loved it!

This prequel to the Dark Shores series is a MUST! And it just reminded me how much I love Danielle L. Jensen's books (those I've read so far, at least) and her ability to make me live her stories on a level I cannot even explain and cannot get enough of.

Also, Agrippa owns my heart (t
Ava
Danielle Jensen can do no wrong!
It's always a delight to be in broody, brilliant Marcus's head, and as much as I loved all of the secrets that are revealed about my favorite Dark Shores character - Agrippa totally stole the show. There's something remarkably hysterical about his voice, and I genuinely laughed out loud throughout this whole book (when I wasn't holding back tears of course). The romance is so swoony and heart-breaking, and especially having read GILDED SERPENT, I wanted to howl at
Katelyn Anderson
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where to even start with this review....

I had the privilege of being the first person *ever* to meet an apparently less jaded version of Marcus! This prequel is the first time I've dived into this world, and HOOOLLLYYY SMOKES.... It's spectacular!!!!

I loved every POV. I loved the entire plot. I loved the characters. The storyline. Absolutely everything inside this book. I got so invested that I started having dreams about it. LOL.

I'm so excited to read more of this series!!!
Jess Schmit
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! A prequel to Dark Shores/Dark Skies books, this one focused on Marcus’ backstory.

Agrippa might be my new favorite character in this world.....

Seeing more into the personalities and the inner workings of the legions really helped me look at the series in a new light.

This should definitely be added to everyone’s TBR!
Fae Crate
Michelle Myslicki
Yara
Yeganeh
Danielle Jensen
Oct 16, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Ashley McNeil
Maria Rasimova
Natalie
Briana Cooper
Oct 16, 2020

• A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Divine Blood (Guardians of the Maiden, #1)
  • The Red Pearl Bonus Scene (Blood and Ash, #0.5)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • The Brightest Night (Origin, #3)
  • Obsession
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • The Burning Shadow (Origin, #2)
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • A Game of Fate (Hades Saga, #1)
  • Midnight Kisses (Shifter Island, #1)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • London Prep: Book Three (London Prep, #3)
Danielle L. Jensen is the USA Today bestselling author of The Malediction Trilogy (Angry Robot), the Dark Shores series (Tor Teen), and The Bridge Kingdom series (Audible Originals). She lives in Calgary, Alberta with her family.

I would love to be your friend on Goodreads!

Dark Shores (3 books)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
  • Gilded Serpent (Dark Shores, #3)