Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Days” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Around the World in 80 Days

(Extraordinary Voyages)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  163,846 ratings  ·  5,684 reviews
Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title--offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.This e ...more
Hardcover, The World's Best Reading, 205 pages
Published November 28th 1988 by The Reader's Digest Association (first published 1873)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Days, please sign up.
Awdur Definitely bugged me too. But it did bother me less once I realized that the flatness of the "exotic" characters went along with the flatness of…moreDefinitely bugged me too. But it did bother me less once I realized that the flatness of the "exotic" characters went along with the flatness of everyone else.(less)
Sashia You can start with any one you want and it won't make a difference to your reading. I didn't even know they were considered a series.

·  163,846 ratings  ·  5,684 reviews

James Tivendale
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
"Truly, would you not for less than that make a tour around the world?"

This is the second Verne book I have devoured in two days which have both been accredited four-five stars. I could end the review at that and I would be content!

Similar to The Journey to the Centre of the Earth which I read yesterday - Verne creates amazingly awesome and complex characters. The main protagonist Mr. Fogg is an obsessive-compulsive routine loving timekeeper who bets his chums at the club that he can travel arou
Fabian
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... So I do believe I saved a book's life. About to be tossed away, being a pariah of the garage sale variety, I not only took it home; I READ it. Aglow with endearing cliches, this is the source of plenty of adventure stories, many of which are films, comics, etc.

Verne's imagination is grand & the plot is silly and almost kid-like. But absurd it ain't. It is fun exactly because there is a topsy turvy madness to visiting places just to prove a point. It is fun because it is rife with in
Lisa
"Mum, could we travel the world in the same way that Phileas Fogg and Passepartout did?"

The question propels me back in time, about three decades. This was the first Jules Verne book I read. I carried it home in a heavy school bag, in the darkness after an winter afternoon in the public library. I was ten, and I had to fill my long evenings, which started at sun set around half past two. I still remember the smell of the book, picked from the "Classics for children" section, and how I opened it
Ahmad Sharabiani
848. Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours = Around The World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages #11), Jules Verne
Around the World in Eighty Days (French: Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours) is an adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, published in 1873. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days by his friends at the Reform Club. It is one of Verne's most acclaimed works.
عنوانها: سیاحت
Lyn
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around the World in Eighty Days was first published by Jules Verne in 1873, and was introduced to an adoring public as monthly installments.

Each chapter is thus seen as connected but with its own hooks and cliffhangers. The character of Phileas Fogg has become a stoic archetype for too cool operators in books to come in several genres.

This is fast moving and fun, still a good read over a hundred years later. One very interesting aspect of the narrative was the portrait of the American west in
Baba
1 I-hated-it-32-years-ago-and-still-hate-it star.

photo tumblr_inline_n9rbi1iLIR1qb3wyg_zpswi1fun8d.gif

photo tumblr_n5s7wb14Sp1rks5xoo1_500_zpsd6971541.gif

A couple days ago my son and I were talking about boring classroom reading material. This reminded me that I never rated this glorious piece of classic literature. How anyone would insist that students had to mandatorily read it in the 80s is beyond me, let alone in the 21st century. A couple years ago, when my son came home with that little paperback edition and whined about how incredibly uninteresting this "gem" is, I calmed him down by saying
Charity
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w
Bradley
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-shelf, steampunk
The original steampunk adventure! Written while it was still called modern!

Fascinating! :)

Seriously, though... Jules Verne knows how to write a fast-paced adventure with French tomfoolery and English sprats. They're buckling down to show other multi-millionaires (price adjusted) what a *real* wager is, using nothing more than a very keen mind and a talent for reading multiple departures in the paper. (You had to be there. And you also have to enjoy a period piece, too!)

But that's not all, folks
David Sasaki
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked
Katie Lumsden
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
I really enjoyed this - a fun and interesting read, and more heartfelt than I expected. It's quite interesting to see a French take on 19th century Englishness, and a 19th century perspective on the world.
Archit Ojha
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own

Man! The best adventure work till date!

Review to follow.
Lea
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction
This book brings so much childhood memories back. My dad just to read aloud and retell over and over again Jules Verne's stories and I'm so grateful for that. It ignited my passion for reading a long time ago, as I learned for the first time that I can travel around the world through books and stories, laying in the warm room.

I can still remember the vivid images of my imagination that I had as a child listening to this story and feelings will never fade, I still felt quite emotional rereading
Mark
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Apatt
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like five days for me really, though even that is too long for a 250 pages book. Well, it’s an audiobook and I only listened to it while commuting to work.

Yes, that is a silly intro but what I meant is that while listening to the book I often felt transported along with Phileas Fogg and crew. This is my first Jules Verne book, normally I prefer to read books in the original language they are written in because with translated books there is always an added layer between the translator and t
Kathryn
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5
Mandy
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Well that was rather amusing :-) Preferred the second half of the book, faster paced and more escapades!
Cristina
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was little, I used to watch Willy Fog (the cartoons) on TV and Around the world in eighty days with Willy Fog was a big part of my childhood. Now, reading the book, I was surprised to see that I actually remembered big parts of the story. It was like I was reading the book for the second time. Even tho I never read the book before. But I remembered those cartoons and it felt so good in a way to be right about what was going to happen in the book.
I’m a big fan of Jules Verne’s books. I gr

V, is for Verne

3 Stars

A true Englishman doesn't joke when he is talking about so serious a thing as a wager.

Around the World in 80 Days is a slim little adventurous classic that seems to be telling us so much more than the actual text would suggest. It’s heavily scientific jargon can be a bit much at times, and the adventure itself is interesting more than exciting.

The motley cast of characters - a staid Englishman, an excitable French servant, an American cop and an Indian maiden – have such d
Jamie Collins
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian, classics
This was fun to read out loud. The phrasing was strange sometimes, possibly due to this being a translated work, but I thought it only contributed to the book's charm. My older son particularly enjoyed Passepartout's character. We discussed suttee, opium dens, Mormons, and extradition laws, among other things.

I confess to being a little disappointed that Fogg's success was mostly due to his wealth. He essentially bribes his way around the world; a poor man couldn't have made it.
David Sarkies
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The Shrinking World
26 August 2016 - Rouen

I just noticed a little oddity with Goodreads in France: they used 'et' instead of 'and' when it tells you that people have liked a review. Mind you, they still use the work 'like' and opposed to 'aimer', which is a little disappointing, though apparently the word like, when used in the context of liking something on Social Media, has been taken onboard by numerous languages as apparently the Germans do something similar. I guess this is further evidence
Ernest Junius
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurous gentlemen
Recommended to Ernest by: girlfriend
Definitely classic! My girlfriend bought me this book about two years ago, considering my fondness of adventure story. I wasn't really have a chance to read it at that time, thus I had just recently read it a few days ago–and to my surprise I did "round the world" in merely less than three days.

The story sets itself in the middle of 19th century, in the very capital of England, London, where Phileas Fogg and his loyal French servant Passepartout set off on a race to round the world in eighty day
Youssef Al Brawy
My First read in English, I don't Know If the Novel is actually Bad or The Translate.
Every event here was boring, expected, and sometimes provocative. The only thing I was fond of is Mr. Phileas Fogg Character Especially its coolness and permanent stability. On the other side, the other characters were very ordinary.

Anyway, I liked this different kind of reading, even if the first experience was bad.
[Shai] Bibliophage
I just remember that there was a movie adaptation of this classic on early 2000, that casts some of the famous Hollywoord actors such as Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I never had a chance to see the said movie; and now I'm thinking of watching it to check if they follow the spectacular storyline of this book.

I love all the protagonists in this novel — even Detective Fix who later became an ally in Mr. Fogg's mission to travel the world. I'm not very much fond of travelling; but this boo
Paula Bardell-Hedley
“Mr. Fogg seemed a perfect type of that English composure which Angelica Kauffmann has so skilfully represented on canvas.”
Between 1863 and 1905, the French writer, Jules Verne, wrote a sequence of fifty-four novels known collectively as the Voyages extraordinaires (Extraordinary Voyages), the purpose of which, according to Verne's editor Pierre-Jules Hetzel, was “to outline all the geographical, geological, physical and astronomical knowledge amassed by modern science and to recount, in an en
* A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mm, audio
Chosen for the specific challenge of reading a "book that's at least 100 years older than you", this surprised me in a good way.

Part history lesson, part geography lesson - I enjoyed following the prim and proper Phileas Fogg, as he traipses across the globe to win an impossible gentlemen's wager. Add in a dogged detective determined to get his man by any means possible and a loyal, overzealous manservant, and you've got quite the zany adventure. Though they face obstacle after obstacle in the s
Ray Jordan
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Like this book, life a journey, not a destination. Although I knew how it ended (I had seen a tv movie adaptation years ago), this book nonetheless was a fun read.
Simon
Three nights ago, I could not sleep and was not in the mood to read any of the books I was then, and still am, in the middle of reading. So I decided I pluck one of the classics from the bedside bookshelf and just so happened to pick out an old favourite, Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.

When I was younger, and while most others my age were reading Harry Potter or Twilight, I would read Jules Verne, Mark Twain, Jack London, etc. And I loved them, despite only being able to understa
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
This started off a little slow, with all the boasting and detailing of bets of whether Phileas Fogg actually can make a trip around the world in eighty days. But once he got going and he got framed for stealing money that put Det. Fix on his trail, it got more interesting. Fogg also picks up a French servant, Passepartout, who is quite endearing and faithful to his employer. Fogg starts spending money like a politician on the campaign trail in order to win his bet, and the various obstacles he m ...more
Brandi
A cute story. I liked Passepartout the most of all the characters. But poor guy, he couldn't catch a break.

When reading this, you have to keep in mind that it was written in a different time period. It's riddled with ethnic stereotypes that were commonplace back then.
UCAS English 11 R...: February Reading Assignment 2 8 Mar 04, 2019 10:20AM
Play Book Tag: Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne, narrated by Jim Dale 4 stars 12 24 Jan 29, 2019 02:35PM
Reading 1001: Around the World in Eighty Days - Verne 1 10 Jan 26, 2019 05:18AM
BIF Tiger Book Ci...: Review by Melody 1 3 Nov 27, 2018 06:32PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong book 5 22 Oct 31, 2018 01:43PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add Norwegian description 3 11 Oct 30, 2018 09:57AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • Anna Karenina
  • Captain Blood
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Graphic Classics: Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Black Tulip
  • The Black Arrow
  • Around the World in 80 Days (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Arabian Nights
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Second Jungle Book
  • Bunner Sisters
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages, #8)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)
  • The Fur Country (Extraordinary Voyages, #10)
“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 1702 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 120 likes