Start by marking “Siberia” as Want to Read:
Siberia

Siberia

When Sloe was tiny, her Papa disappeared and she and her mama went to live in a prison camp in the snowy north, in a time and place when there are no more wild animals. Mama’s crime: teaching science, and her dedication to the hope that the lost animal species can be reborn. To Sloe, Mama’s secret work is magic, as enchanting as Mama’s tales of a bright city across the ice ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published December 18th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 2005)

Start your review of Siberia
Asghar Abbas
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

At a glance Siberia looks like such an unassuming little novel. Let's see; a vague title which could mean anything, a seemingly simple story, a bland synopsis, a dull and uninspiring cover. But how wrong was I!

Sure, at the beginning it was boring, soporific even. But this is by far one of the most incredibly well written fantasy novels, excellent pacing, better plotting, a believable MC who is human and humane. Though what she is wearing on the cover of this edition is a little misleading.
Judith
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf, 2016
Meh. 2,5 stars
Dee brown
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
excellent! i think the GOP and Trump should read this cautionary tale of a dystopian , global warming society.
Kiki
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
My first impression of this book is that it is not well written. Much of the grammar seemed off, but to such a large extent that I'm guessing Siberia wasn't originally published in America. Aside from that though, I felt many of the sentences were weak, there were loose ends that sort of floated around, and the book was generally confusing. Also, parenthesis should not be that prevalent, not if it's a well-written novel. There was some brilliant passages, where the talent of the author really ...more
Danii
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up from a charity shop, the synopsis sounded interesting and I thought it would be good to have on standby. To my amazement, by page 2 I was hooked! I didn't realise it was a young adult book, but in some ways it reminded me of Fuse, Delirium or Divergent. The difference for me, is that Siberia is almost believable; it is a possible future that could be closer than we think; it''s 21st century meets sci-fi meets World War 2....and I loved it. Being a short novel, I read it ...more
Loz
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't how I felt about this book.

I liked the Lindquists, although the idea was very strange and certainly isn't possible, yet.

Not sure I liked the main character though, and it had, what I felt, was a pretty sudden ending.
Lesley
Nov 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up
Shelves: science-fiction, teen
Again, she combines heavy ideas (extinction, genetic engineering) with action, but again I'm not sure about the pace.
Amanda Coppedge
Apr 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Dystopic YA novel. Great main character.
Andrea
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This was interesting. Quick paced, fairly easy to read.
Xeandra Naicker
Daniela Garcia
I read it when I was about 9-10 years old... Back then I really liked it and I think I read it over a few times! I guess my preferences have changed... but it surely is good memory.
I guess you could say is Dystopian literature for kids.
Rachael
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: When Sloe was tiny, her Papa disappeared and she and her mama went to live in a prison camp in the snowy north, in a time and place when there are no more wild animals. Mama’s crime: teaching science, and her dedication to the hope that the lost animal species can be reborn. To Sloe, Mama’s secret work is magic, as enchanting as Mama’s tales of a bright city across the ice where they will be free.

Years later, Sloe is sent to a prison school, and Mama disappears. At 13, Sloe escapes,
Ardene
Jan 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcpl, scifi, ya, 2011
A dystopia told from the point of view of Sloe (Rosita), Siberia begins when Rosita (age 4-5?) & her mother arrive at a work camp in the country. Her father has disappeared, her mother is put to work making nails from pieces of metal, and Rosita is left to her own devices in their cabin until she is sent to school a few years later.

While many people assume this novel is set in Russia, it seems to me that this could be anyplace after pollution/climate change have occurred, damaging the
Arminzerella
Sally
Quite a fascinating story, with a very different premise. At first it reads like something similar to The Endless Steppe - a favourite of mine, hence my attraction to this book - but then it's not just a straight forward "family exile to Siberia" story. Because this isn't the 40s, it's in a dystopian future and the crux of the matter isn't some war or the exile at all, really.

Sometime in the past of this strange future, most wild mammals fell into a huge decline and "the government ordered that
Conan Tigard
I did enjoy the story of Sloe and her adventure, but there were a couple of questions I never got answered. Everyone likes a point of reference in time when they are reading a book, especially if it takes place in the future. What year does this book take place? At first I figured it was the near future, but that changed as I read on. It has to take place pretty far into the future, maybe hundreds of years. As bits and pieces begin to far into place, the reader slowly gains a thin grasp on what ...more
INES
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lisa
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
"Siberia? Once it was a cold place far away, where people who offended the government were sent to freeze and starve. Now it's Siberia everywhere. The whole world has been sent to Siberia, we're all in Siberia."

It's the future, a cold future, and little Rosita and her mother are in a labor settlement in the frigid wastelands. Rosita's mother, though, has a secret scientific mission (I won't say more because this is a really interesting aspect of the plot, and it's best to discover it as Rosita
Margaret
As a little girl, Rosita is sent with her mother to a Wilderness Settlement, after the mysterious (to Rosita) disappearance of her father. During the day, her mother makes nails to earn a living, but at night, she does what Rosita thinks of as her magic, biological work which holds the key to the continued existence of the planet's wildlife. She tells Rosita of a great journey they will have to make when Rosita is older, taking her mother's magic to a safe place, but when Rosita (now called ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
While the tale and the structure of the tale is enthralling, especially in the way that this title relates to fairytales with the different animal helpers, parts of it are at the same time too predictable and too undefined to make a great story. Regardless, I think the telling of the story is well written and the character has a strong voice and is easy to get into despite being far from perfect. My objections are mostly with the main evil which is not really as mysterious as the author would ...more
Anca
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
An easy read, a book for kids mostly. I bought it at a discount store after reading the first page, unaware it belonged to the Sci-Fi genre. However, it was an enjoyable read that stirred some emotion and scientific curiosity.
Initially, considering the title and first pages I thought it was a book about the experience of a Siberian gulag, but the story does not emphasize that. It does present the hardships of living in a work camp in the cold wilderness, but the focus is on the main character's
Chloe Sanders
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-356-5-8-2012
Siberia was a pretty good little book. It kept my interest really well, so I was able to finish it quick. The narrator never really tells you what time period they are in, I assumed it was in the future. Sloe and her mother are living in a frozen world controlled by the government, where dogs are manufactured to create fur coats and wild animals are called muties. Sloe's parents were scientists back in the day, and that really contributes to the story's plot. There was a lot of action, so the ...more
Jacqi Bartlett
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 54books
An interesting tale which starts with a small, enclosed setting - just the main character and her mother isolated in a small work camp in Siberia but later ranges across vast landscapes with diverse and sometimes bizarre characters.

At first I thought this was going to be a 'magical realism' story and I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it but, as the story and the characters developed I began to see that the 'magic' was actually science, seen through the eyes of a child.

I can't say I entirely
Bethany
Jan 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Ann Halam ends this book with an author’s note stating that, in her story, Siberia is not a place, but rather a state of mind. She is conveying a world in which animals no longer exist because the bad people have killed them all by not taking care of the environment. It’s pretty heavy-handed, and rather confusing at times.

Even so, the main character - Sloe - has determination and grit through the hardest of circumstances; she would certainly be inspiring to a teenage girl who dreams of saving
Lauren
Nov 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Golden Compass & strong female lead characters
This book moved (almost) too slowly for me. Perhaps it had something to do with the scenery and overall weariness and drudgery of daily life in the novel. I could, however, easily envision this being adapted to film as I felt there were numerous similarities between this and the story of The Golden Compass. (traveling across an arctic-like landscape; Sloe & Nivvy; Lyra & her armored bear)It was an interesting story, for certain, just not the pace I was expecting.
Pages and Papercuts
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
I loved this book so much more than I thought I would.

Characters 5/5
Plot 5/5
Writing 4/5

The main character was strong ad brave- just the way I like it. During the book you get to know Sloe as a fearless, witty young girl who would do anything to survive and keep her secret safe.

The plot was engaging and interesting. There was always something happening and I loved how it kept you wanting to turn the page.

Hannah Morris
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the book Siberia. I think that the author did a very good job explaining details and had good attention grabbers. The book is about how a young girl and her mother struggle to get out of a bad facility that they were placed in after her father was taken away. The bond between the mother and daughter grows as they have to stay true to each other if they want a shot at getting free. I would say that almost anymore would enjoy reading this book because i know that i did.
Mike
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was interesting to me. I normally do not read YA books and actually did not realize it was one when I picked it up. I had nothing else to read at the time and thought I would give it a shot. The main attraction for me was Siberia as I love reading about Russia. I originally thought that I was going to give up on the novel but it kept pulling me back in. It is a short, quick read and, even though it is somewhat depressing, was actually quite good in the end.
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2007 added it
Shelves: i-give-up
After three months, I'm removing my bookmark, and sending it back to the library. I'm totally into dystopic teen visions...but this didn't grab me. ...maybe try it on your most cynical, most dystopic, most sci-fi oriented YA reader... I dind't even get to the genetic engineering / dna part...I konked out when she starts learning how to make tiny bunny creatures in test tubes, top secret creature making!... that's cool! but not enough to keep me awake on my reading pillow.
Chanelle
It's been a long time since I've read this book, but it has remained in my memory, a book I'd never forget. Perhaps I remember it because it's the first book I ever borrowed from the library, but I'm sure it's more than that.
I never forgot about Sloe, or her tales of the prison camp. I never forgot her adventures and the people she met. And I never forgot about the magic and the lost species that only she knew how to bring back.
I will definitely be reading it again, hopefully sometime soon.

• Morgen ben ik weer thuis (Lois Elzinga, #2)
  • Paaz (Paaz, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Things
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
  • Bad Girls
  • Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black
  • The Call (The Call, #1)
  • Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #4)
  • Dreaming of a Stranger
  • The Snow Angel
  • Feed
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
Ann Halam is a pseudonym of Gwyneth Jones.

As well as being a children’s author, Ann Halam writes adult science fiction and fantasy books as the popular and prizewinning author Gwyneth Jones. Her most recent titles for Wendy Lamb Books are Dr. Franklin’s Island, Taylor Five, and Siberia. She lives in Brighton, England.