Start by marking “The Stories Stars Tell” as Want to Read:
The Stories Stars Tell

The Stories Stars Tell

Ever felt like the sum total of your choices have fixed your story in the stars?

For Emma Matthews, she feels like all of her choices are rooted in the fear of letting down her parents… God…of never being good enough.

For Tanner James, he’s wearing an identity he has created with his friends and their pact—Bro Code—fixed in sex, alcohol and bad choices.

Both are longing for a
Kindle Edition
Published October 13th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Stories Stars Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stories Stars Tell

Start your review of The Stories Stars Tell
Janine Caroline
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully written book has so many layers. The Stories Stars Tell is a YA love story that grabbed me from beginning to end. It explores loss, religion, purity, sexuality, toxic masculinity, friendships and family. I adored Emma and Tanner’s journey through the struggles and delights of self discovery. I’ve read and loved all Walters books but this one is my standout favourite.
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
Every time I read a book by C.L. Walters, I am transported into the story, and I stay there until the end. This book was another amazing story by her, and it’s my favorite by her so far! I love that she is always able to touch on subjects that are hard-hitting, and real-feeling. They bring situations to life that people are struggling with and provide a perspective to consider and relate to.

Emma and Tanner are two teenagers, coming ever closer to their adult selves. They are both searching for w
Lily
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stories Stars Tell is a well written coming of age story. It addresses lots of important themes such as loss, expectations, sexuality, consent, purity culture and self discovery but in an accessible and honest way.

As I've been reading shorter books lately I was initially daunted by the size of the book (nearly 500 pages) but C.L.Walters has a very readable style to her writing which made it easy and enjoyable to read. I also think the length was necessary to give time to develop the characte
Brandann Hill-Mann
I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for the opportunity to give an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This is the fifth book I have read by C.L. Walters, and by and far the best she's put out to date. Walters has a way of digging into topics which are difficult to think about and are sometimes not talked about for these reasons. Her knack for writing teens who show complexity of character in order to provide nuance for a topic, in this case teen sexuality and dangers o
Mary Ann
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Stories Stars Tell Shines

A John Hughes themed novel about the friendships that shape our lives.
I’m a big fan of author C.L. Walters since I read her first book, Letters She Left Behind. But I’m an even bigger fan of John Hughes films. So when I saw she’d incorporated elements of Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off into her newest novel, I nearly weeped for joy.

Walter’s “The Stories Stars Tell” is a triumph. Within the crisply written pages of her poignant young adult
Ariel Lee
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: The Stories Stars Tell ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I got this book from @cl.walters as an ARC.

✨This book is one of self discovery for both of the characters, Emma and Tanner.

Emma is exploring her sexuality and what that means in terms of her faith and her religion, her family, her anxieties and fears and socially.

Tanner is exploring what it means to be a man and how that notion doesn't always match up with real life. And I think partly too, there's an overlap where he is rediscovering his sexuality a
C.L.
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Does the book count as a “read book” if it’s a book you’ve written? 😁 Because above read this a gazillion times and I love it every single time - not tired of reading it yet. I know I’m partial and all, but I sure hope it resonates with other readers.
Stephanie Keesey-Phelan
I adored this book. Emma and Tanner were so relatable and brought me right back to my own experience with love in high school. Tanner and his friends made up a group of characters I would usually have a hard time relating to; but C.L. Walters told their stories with such care, even the least-likable among them felt real and believable. Emma's struggles with herself as a young woman in her relationship, family, and community rang true. This book was a pleasure to read and sure to be one that I co ...more
Mae Wagner
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sania Jain
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review 🌸
The views are entirely my own.

The stories Stars tell took me to a younger version of myself. The characters are so relatable.
The curiosity in Emma as she is going through her teen years is amazingly portrayed. The self doubts a girl faces in those school years is something Emma is juggling through. That and well of course exploring more!
We see Tanner's perspective about his self explorations as well.
He wants to th
CR
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This slow burn romance was beautifully done. Emma and Tanner were so adorable and I just couldn't stop grinning throughout reading this story. Although this is a whopping 500 page story I felt like it was over far too soon. I needed more.

This is one of those well rounded stories that doesn't shy away from the topics that need to be discussed. From sexuality to religion and more. I enjoyed every page and couldn't put it down.

This story about coming of age and self discovery is one that will blo
Farah
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading The Stories Stars Tell and thinking to myself how amazing the writing was and how the author was slowly building the story up, taking the time to explain each character and their situation and really making the reader understand what was going on. And once the backstory is set, before you know it, you're strapped in and enjoying the book right until the end. And that ending, oh my heart!!!!

This book in a nutshell - Emma feels the pressure of being the good Christian girl who never
Habby AB
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by C.L. Walters, and she surely delivered. Again.

The book touches on the challenges of young adults coming to terms with their sexuality, along with the lines of consent and the shame that comes with. It's a book I wish I had read in my teens, navigating through my own sexuality and everything tied to it.

It's also a story of self discovery for both characters. From the perspective of a young Christian girl, Emma feels real and vibrant. I loved the character Ta
Michelle Hillstrom
My new favorite book.
Beautifully written coming of age story that transports me back to my own senior year of high school and graduation. Every reader will be able to relate and identify themselves in one of the characters. In “The Stories Stars Tell” CL Walters covers real, difficult, life topics and feelings that teenagers face in a way that’s enjoyable to read about.
Emma and Tanner are incredibly likable characters that immediately find a home in your heart as they struggle to find their own
Becca Harris
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. As a fan of the author I was really excited to receive a ARC for this one. The cover perfectly encapsulates the story.
Maggie
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, tender, funny and poignant. Emma and Tanner are deeply relatable, three-dimensional characters, and their love story is beautiful while also grounded in reality.

My first CL Walters read, definitely won’t be my last!
Lavinia
Kamryn Atzman
paperbackfruit
Hannah
Aug 13, 2020

• The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (The Physick Book, #1)
  • Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • Blood of the True Believer (The Hole in the World, #2)
  • All My Lies Are True (Poppy & Serena, #2)
  • The Mirror Souls (The Mirror Souls Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Last Charm
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • The Bookworm Crush
  • Mistletoe and Mr. Right (Moose Springs, Alaska #2)
  • Dear Emmie Blue
  • Confess
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • Leave the World Behind
  • The House on Mango Street
  • A Happy Catastrophe
  • The Lightest Object in the Universe
  • The Invisible Mountain
As a kid, my world revolved around two things: stories and make believe. I have built a real life around those two things as well: I am a teacher of stories and a writer of make believe.

While I went to high school in a small town in Oregon and college in a smaller town in Oregon - both gifted me with treasures to fill my creative reservoir and most importantly, my husband. We got married, I follow