Start by marking “Ruined by Rubies (The Lapidi Magia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruined by Rubies (The Lapidi Magia, #1)

Ruined by Rubies

(The Lapidi Magia #1)

How did I get into this mess?
A girl with an emotionally unavailable father and no mother needs more than a pet and a part time job in a pub to feel loved. I longed for a little excitement and adventure to combat my loneliness and seclusion.
Until the day my father disappeared leaving only a cryptic note, and I’m whisked away by three strangers to meet the shiny new family I
Published April 14th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Ruined by Rubies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruined by Rubies

Start your review of Ruined by Rubies (The Lapidi Magia, #1)
❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS
**ARC provided by NetGalley for an Honest Unbiased Review**
I wasn't really sure how I felt about this book until the end. As someone who normally hates cliffhangers I gotta say this one certainly left me wanting more and suddenly caring more about the characters than I had before. The heroine throughout was just not all that likable for me and a lot of that had to do with her childlike behavior and mentality. I get that she's like that because of such a messed up and unnatural childhood but she
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

Ruined by Rubies was an easy book to devour. It did start off kind of slowly (for me) because the first ten chapters just had so much information to digest. After that, things sailed by more smoothly and I was inching closer and closer to the last page.

In it, you will meet Tempe. Now she isn't happy with how her life is like but the day that everything changes? Well, it's safe to assume that she isn't a happy camper with this
Wickedly Sweet & Synful Book Blog Synclare Moss
Ruined by Rubies is the first book in the Lapidi Magia Series.
Zipped right through this gem!
I enjoy slowburn, mystery, magic and shifters, so you could say this book had it all.
If you are looking for a unique paranormal RH read, grab this one ASAP.

~BREAKDOWN OF RATINGS~
Flow (Writing Style)~ 5/5
Backdrop (World Building)~ 5/5
Origina
Aly
Ah, this book can't just end like that! This was a fun read, I was intrigued with Tempe's odd father and the creature that seemed to be following her. We quickly jump into the paranormal, learning about other races of magical beings and that Tempe is more than human. I thought the pacing was very quick and there was a good amount of drama and action.

Tempe is a friendly girl who's been isolated most of her life. She's excited to meet family she never knew and took the news of magic pretty well.
Stephanie Phillips (Stephanie's Book Reports)
I received a free copy of this book from the author.

This is the first book I've read by this author.  I signed up to review this title based on the blurb not the cover.  I enjoyed learning about these characters.  This appears to be a spin off from another series but I wasn't lost and was able to dive right in.

There is a lot going on in this book.  Lots of revelations about the characters and what's in store for their present as well as their future.  You might even want to keep notes.  HA!  I'
Suzanne
OH. MY. STARS!!!! I am SO blown away by this story. Between the whole idea behind the story and the attention to detail the author has given with this one, I am just in awe. I could not get enough of it and I fell in love with the characters. Tempe is such a spitfire. Even when things get thrown upside down. She is such a fighter. Add Dev and Beau and holy swoon. Those guys are just everything. But their third, Asa. I have so many questions about him! There is this magnetic push and pull between ...more
MeaQC
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Ms. Brown is a new to me author and I was excited to read this book. I was drawn to the cover and to description of the story. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I finished it at 3:05 am!

The story drew me in and kept me captivated throughout. I loved watching Tempe's character grow throughout the book. Her dad did the best he could for Tempe. She didn't let that hold her down. She learned how to accept each challeng
Cheryl
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that was a wild ride! My first book by this author and quite possibly by first centered around magi, so it’s a lot of new and different information for me to process. But I really liked it! These characters are entertaining and interesting that they grab you from page one, even before all the magical stuff grabs you by the hand. While there’s a lot going on, and I need to back up a time or two (mostly because I’m rushing too much to see what is going to happen next), the complexity is never ...more
Heather  The Hatters
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am completely blown away by this book, and I can not wait until the next one comes out! Jay Leigh Brown is a new to me author and I am in awe. In Ruined by Rubies we get Tempe who is a young tenacious lady with a heart of gold. Everything changes for her on one fateful night. She went from thinking she had no family to discovering she has a whole clan!! When certain secrets come to light loyalties are tested and bonds are put to the test!
The writing is superb, and flows really well. There is
Amanda
Feb 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I loved this book. It is a slow burn RH, that draws you in. The characters are interesting and you can not help but feel for all of them. This book will leave you wanting more and wondering where the story is going. I enjoyed the parts with the kitty or mention of kitty. I connected with all the characters, but definitely felt for her men. They know what they want but are struggling to accept it, but so is she. This book offers action, mystery, intense emotions, and finding out about a new ...more
Julia
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Ok I'm curious. Very very curious to read the second book!

The world Jay Leigh Brown creates, with the gems, and the shapeshifting, and the magic.... It got me excited to understand it better through Tempe's eyes. This girl really knows how to embrace her emotions!! It was a refreshing trait of her personality.

Dev and Beau are dreamy, each in their own way, and their powers are AMAZING.
But the thing is, I wish I got to know them (and Asa) a bit better.
The thing is, sometimes I didn't co
Diksha Garg
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god!! I can't believe this is Jay Leigh's debut book cause she totally rocked it. I absolutely love this new and different world Ms. Brown weaved and damn what a wild ride it was! I was on edge throughout the story biting my nails, with all the suspense and mystery and what next moments.
With all the twists and turns this book holds me from the beginning till the very end and omg that ending left me wanting sooo much more!
I need next book NOW!
Definitely a must read.
MandyViolete
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is WOW! This book is theory after twist after what! It is the start of a freaking amazing series and everything about it is OMG! LOVE!! Tempe is a great female lead, I did want to shake her a few times but she’s going through a lot right? And the guys, sigh, the guys are exactly what she needs! Everyone else brings it all together. We get the big bad set up and some side threads, but the story itself flows so perfectly and leaves you feeling good at the end, total satisfaction. And the ...more
Marisa
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! Some great world building for a new author.

There is definitely a lot of evolution with the FMC, Tempe, from beginning to end. Sometimes I wasn’t sure if her moods fit her exactly, especially some drastic mood/personality changes, but I feel like a lot was settled at the end. She seemed to be adapting into the situation she was thrown into.

I would have liked to know a bit more about her potential men, some of their history was introduced but still a lot of mystery. I did app
Little Blue Butterfly
I received an Advanced Reader Copy for an honest and voluntary review

This was such a fantastic book!! I can’t wait to read Book 2!! I feel like the story was fleshed out nicely and there was great character building!! I really liked the FMC Tempe. Beau, Dev and Asa were an added bonus 🖤🔥
Tempe is almost 21. She’s been sheltered her whole life, being home schooled, then by the time she was able to move away from home her sick father needed too much care. Its always been just her and her father,
Carolyn Morton
Feb 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Challenges, Sexy, New beginnings.. Need I say more?

When I first started this book, I thought the main character was too innocent to make this a interesting series. I had made an invalid opinion before I really got to know Tempe.

I was amazingly surprised. I felt her emotions as she experienced challenges in her life. Learned new experiences. This book provides great details in Tempe's personality, which I love. You can guess what's going to happen next, but you'd be wrong. Those curveballs!

I am
Regina Thompson
May 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
I did not realize this was about a polyamorous relationship. I assumed it might be a love triangle. Had I known it was polyamory, I probably wouldn't have picked this one up. It's just not my thing. But I know some people are into that so I'm not scoring low because of that. I'm scoring low because this book a FULL of grammatical errors. So many it makes it hard to read sometimes. I'm also scoring low because it needed more character development. I'm all for an imperfect character, but I really ...more
Melissa Minson
Feb 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book recommended by a friend and I was NOT disappointed. This book had me hooked a couple pages in. I ravenously read this book and had it finished in 4 days. (And that’s with having to small kids) Jay Leigh keeps you on your toes and interested throughout the whole book, making you not want to put it down.

Twenty year old Tempe has a boring life and wants nothing more than for that to change. She feels isolated and alone having a distant father, so she longs for friends and a proper
Deb Barringer
Feb 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
Ruined by Rubies, the first book in Jay Leigh Brown's Lapidi Magia series, starts off with a bang and keeps on rolling. Filled with action, it will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. The storyline is fast-paced and well written, filled with magic and mayhem, intrigue, subterfuge, politics, danger and romance. The characters are well developed and engaging. It is truly a treat watching Tempe discover the family she never knew, and to see her grow into the being she never exp ...more
˚•—S—•˚
This is such a wild journey, so pack your bags!

It starts out in our normal world, but then very suddenly we are trust into a magical community. A unknown world, a new family, magical gemstones, new feelings. There is so much happening, and the FMC is trying so hard to adjust to everything trust upon her, while the guys try to resist their attraction to her.

This has humor, mystery, and a magical girl coming into her powers.

•••I recieved a copy of this book for my honest review. All opinions are
Alicia
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Okay, there is a lot going on in this first book of the Lapidi Magia series. You get a lot of information about this world as you read along.

Tempe hasn't always had an easy life. She never knew her mother, who died after Tempe was born. She only had her emotionally unavailable father who suddenly disappears, leaving her all alone. Until three strangers whisk her away and drop her into a world she never knew existed and family she never knew she had.

There are secrets her newfound family is still
Millie Taylor
Apr 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story! At first I thought it would be like other stories I've read - magic, newfound family, drama, etc. I was pleasantly surprised at the way the story unfolded. I enjoyed the different perspectives of the people, getting to see things from their point of view. At times Tempe got on my nerves a bit, but I could also see why she would be so angry and hurt, so it was understandable. It was good to see how everyone interacted and grew through the book. I got a real sense of f ...more
Ashley Carr, LSoR
Apr 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is this author’s debut book and I was blown away by her writing. The characters were well developed and the plot was intriguing. This story kept me on the edge of my seat wondering which way the twist would go. Tempe has had a difficult life never never know when her mother and her father‘s disappearance three strangers whisk her away and dump her in a magical world. A world she never knew existed. I can’t wait for Tempe’s story to continue and getting to know the men in her life better.
Irene
Feb 08, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New to me author

Great book, couldn’t put it down. A few editing errors that left me re-reading a few sentences. That or Tempe has an attention span of a squirrel…oh look sparkles! It felt like sometimes I missed a part, I’d go back to re-read what I just read and nope that’s how the story continues.
The way the book is left off wasn’t so bad, but still a cliffhanger. Ready to read the next one to see how Tempe’s life is played out.
Amanda  Lee
Feb 15, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like RH and PNR then you should definitely check this series out. I really liked how the story unfolded, I was on the edge of my seat eager to know where the story was going.

I was hooked on Tempe's story from the start. She's whisked away from what she's always known and searches for answers while learning about this new world. I'm looking forward to getting to know Tempe and her men better.

The ending has me glad I already have book 2 ready to read!
Nicole Hale
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
I am a complete newbie to this author, and when I stumbled upon this blurb I knew I had to give it a shot.

In this book we get to join the FMC on her journey through the rough trials she gets put through to discovering secrets about her past she knew nothing about. I am definitely going to read books 2 cause I need to know what happens.
Lauren
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Not my cup.

I couldn't make it past 17% there are a few things I had trouble with mainly our main character. She is either snarky and overly bratty in an annoying way, or cowering, sobbing and totally losing her cool in situations that are seriously not even that stressful? Her over the top and ridiculous emotions we're enough to make me stop reading.
Jeanéva Christie
Feb 03, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Brown has written a wonderful debut novel. If you are looking for a reverse harem romance with not one but three hot magical men you've found it. The FMC has lived her life in a vacuum, not knowing her own heritage. Book one is a tale of self-discovery and growing relationships. Beware the cliffhanger it will leave you wanting to pick up book two right away. ...more
Shirin Rasheed
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ruined by Rubies by Jay Leigh Brown is first book that I've read from this author and I really Enjoyed reading it. It was a page turning read. I was hooked and involved in the story from the first page till the end.

I Highly Recommend all readers to one click this book and read now.
the BookUla Review
Apr 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Let’s talk about this book and the characters it was one wild ride that was playing with my emotions the whole time. Tempe In my opinion is a bad ass and goes through such a hard wrenching journey totally a must read for anyone that likes a good emotional roller coaster.

• Psycho Shifters (Cruel Shifterverse, #1)
  • All Rhodes Lead Here
  • Savage Vandal (82 Street Vandals, #1)
  • Spark of Fate (Shifting Fate #1)
  • Run & Hide (Myths & Monsters #1)
  • I Think Knot (Knot Yours Omegaverse, #1)
  • Dangerous Vows (Dark Confessions, #3)
  • Dear Enemy
  • Black Widows Academy - Semester One (Black Widows Academy, #1)
  • Necessary Respite (Artemis University, #14)
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Reckless (Dark Confessions, #3.25)
  • Pack Promised (Thrown to the Wolves, #1)
  • Relentless (Dark Confessions, #3.5)
  • Unmasked
  • Adjusting Course (Artemis University, #15)
  • Love is a Lyric (Rockstars Anonymous #1)
  • Stalks of Gold (Bewitching Fairy Tales, #1)
Jay Leigh likes all the beverages both alcoholic and caffeinated. She hates seafood and pumpkin spice, and adores every flavor and genre of fine men and books. She resides in the wilderness of Michigan, boating and camping all summer, writing all winter. She's a decent photographer, and shamelessly purchases all things dachshund. A prolific breeder, she has a huge family, having far more than the ...more

The Lapidi Magia (2 books)
  • Obliterated by Obsidian (The Lapidi Magia #2)

News & Interviews