Start by marking “The Daughters of Moab” as Want to Read:
The Daughters of Moab

The Daughters of Moab

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Assassin. Protector. Blood sister. A story of our times seen through the lens of the future. A story of love, justice and the difficult nature of truth.

In a world torn asunder, a small corner of Australia is having a chaotic rebirth Eustace Crane II and his Followers of Nathaniel, the begrudging custodians of a ravaged landscape, are harvesting the genetically modified blo
Published August 1st 2008 by Voyager - AU

To ask other readers questions about The Daughters of Moab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daughters of Moab

Calzean
This is a wild ride. There is not a sentence where something did not happen. And it contains plenty of Aussie references so if you are not familiar with Milo, CSIRO and other local icons it could be a bit of a mystery what is going on.
It's a few years in the future, DNA/genetics/GM was taking over and then an atomic explosion/bomb destroyed much and the survivors live in a variety of ex-mining camps, space tracking centres and science research centres. They live under the rule of the teachings o
Wendy Palmer
I really liked the solid, specific, Australian setting in this one, and the situation and characters were intriguing, and there was a sense of humour behind the writing that was sly, and I really wanted to know how it was all going to come together. However, the style -- lots of leaps in plot, for starters -- was not to my taste and I found the ending lacking.
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a very strange novel, made even more difficult to read by its sometimes quite impenetrable language and symbolism.

Part of desert Australia has undergone a melt down in some dystopian future. There are few survivors, and no towns left. Those who have survived eke out a living waiting for the end of days, when the true believers, who are those with a male and female parent, will be taken to New Jerusalem and the transfected, those born of genetic dabbling, will die.

The only problem is tha
Raven
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
I've been looking forward to reading this book seeing as it's dystopia/post-apocalyptic and set in Australia. Unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations and I'm pretty sure that's not because I had high ones either.
It may have had an interesting premise, but that wasn't enough to save it. At times the writing style was a confusing, chaotic mess, filled with plenty of detail but lacking essential explanations to tie events together and when there was some much needed explanation (rarely g
Pete Aldin
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Abandoned (for the moment) because the book was a little too "literary" for me and required much more concentration than I like when reading a book to escape.

However, it is expertly written with some of the most stunning prose I've ever read. And to have a VERY Australian scifi book like this is something special too.
Estela Anders
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the idea of this book very much. Post apocalyptic, set in Australian, genetic manipulation, great ideas well written but... a little to confusing in parts. I found myself wishing she would get to the point over and over again throughout the book. I did enjoy reading it, I think I would have loved it had it been more straightforwardly written.
Jenny
Jan 19, 2013 added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish, 2013
The writing really is very good, but sadly I just couldn't summon enough interest in the characters to make it further than half-way. Also, for the absolute life of me, I can't believe that anyone would splice dingo genes into humans. To what end?
Bren MacDibble
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Moody atmospheric, futuristic, high action, what's not to love?
Jennifer Rolfe
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was fascinating to read as it was set in Australia. Liked how she played with genetic modification and its impact on humans as well as environment. Her treatment of fundamentalism was great.
Liz
Mar 31, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned
I stopped reading this a long time ago.

Completely inaccessible.
Belinda
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a bit of a hard slog for me. I found the plot confusing and the characters unrelatable. Could be that Sci Fi isn't my favourite genre??
Mabinogi