Start by marking “The Holiness of God” as Want to Read:
The Holiness of God

The Holiness of God

Central to God's character is the quality of holiness. Yet, even so, most people are hard-pressed to define what God's holiness precisely is. Many preachers today avoid the topic altogether because people today don't quite know what to do with words like "awe" or "fear." R. C. Sproul, in this classic work, puts the holiness of God in its proper and central place in the ...more
Published July 1st 2000 by Tyndale Momentum (first published November 30th 1984)

Start your review of The Holiness of God
Jessica
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, own
This "one sitting" book kept me turning the pages until wee hours of the morning. Few authors possess the keen ability to help readers come into a grasp of the nature of God's holiness, but through this book Dr. Sproul is able to help us better understand what God's holiness means and transport the reader into the presence of God.

We often hear many talk about how God is love, yet why do fewer ever speak of His holiness and justice? The Holiness of God reminds me yet again that my salvation
Natalie Vellacott
I received this book free. Having read it I am surprised it is a classic.

The author covers various passages of Scripture to try and demonstrate the holiness of God. He makes some good points especially in relation to those who ask how a God of love can allow suffering/send people to Hell. He reminds us that we all deserve Hell due to our sin which is an affront to God's holiness and that it is only by God's grace that we are saved (through faith.) Although the book is biblically sound I found
raffaela
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to Francis Bacon, "Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." This book is in the third category: it is so rich and full in its insight into the holiness of God that I can't possibly get everything out of it in one reading, or even multiple readings. Sproul is not afraid to confront the challenging passages in Scripture, and he does it with a clear logic and excellent writing. He's also a pastor - you can tell he genuinely cares for ...more
John
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holiness, as Sproul writes, is a difficult concept for humans to understand and define. It is best understood by experience or by story. Sproul does attempt to define it, but it is best truly understood by stories, anecdotes, and analogy.

To this end, most of the book is Sproul examining personal stories that demonstrate holiness, but more importantly, and more extensively, he looks at the Bible to show what Scripture has to say about holiness.

Early on he looks at the Lord's Prayer, and notes
Elizabeth Trader
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I can honestly say this has been one of the most impactful books I have read to date. Sproul has a true gift of storytelling with purpose and beauty. He incorporates history and psychology along with biblical narratives to reveal different aspects of God’s holiness. I am walking away with a much more comprehensive understanding of the perfection of God’s character, the depths of my sin, and how that makes His grace an unfathomable gift.

Rick Davis
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-theology
This is a must-read for any Christian. I remember how formative it was for me, and I'm glad to have re-read it.
Trice
so I've read/listened and reread/relistened to bunches and bits of this multiple times as I've picked it up and put it down multiple times. And as many times as I've listened to parts, long and short, I think I've had that many impressions of it. I've had moments of awe and moments of great or small ah ha and moments of frustration. Some of these impressions are related to my mood rather than the content. But some of them, good and bad, are of course directly tied to the material.

At some point
Connie Couto
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R. C. Sproul is becoming on of my favorite authors. This book is filled with wisdom. If you haven't read it you should.
Stephen
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After the Bible, this book should be the first read by any new Christian.
Lila Kims
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very eye-opening, thought-provoking, and convicting read. Definitely high on my list of Christian nonfiction recommendations.
Alli
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of God's holiness expounded by Sproul compels me to fear and draws me to worship. One of the most impacting books I've ever read.

Favorite quotes:

"The moment Jesus was slain, the instant the Just One died for the unjust, the veil in the temple was torn, The presence of God became accessible to us. For the Christian the "No Access" sign was removed from the gates of paradise. e ay now walk freely on holy ground. We have access to His grace, but even more, we have access to Him.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful work on the holiness of God by Dr. Sproul! Definitely added to the favorites shelf. My favorite part was how he expounded on the justice of God and how gracious God really is to us, but that too often, we presume on His grace.

One of my favorite quotes:
“The clearest sensation that a human being has when he experiences the holy is an overpowering and overwhelming sense of creatureliness. That is, when we are in the presence of God, we are humbled and become most aware of ourselves as
Mike (the Paladin)
Good read, Dr. Sproul knows the scripture and teaches it. While I don't agree with him on everything (and woe be to me if he heard that as I've listened to him and he doesn't appreciate that kind of thing) this is a good and worthwhile read.

I think his view of God puts Him at too much of a distance. The picture in God's Holiness is true but I think not complete here as God has made provision through Jesus and the Holy Spirit for man to approach Him. Still like I said...good read and a lot to
Dana
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic I have had on my bookshelof for quite awhile and just now got around to reading. I chose to read it at this time because next month I am going to the Ligonier Mininstries National Conference and the conference theme this year is the Holiness of God. This was an excellent book- though a heavy topic this book was well written, easy to comprehend, and a joy to read. My copy included study questions at the end of each chapter that would be good to journal or good to use in a group ...more
Lewis DeGoffau
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is my new favorite book of all time. Reason: It has greatly increased my awe of God and His holiness by reshaping my view of the Bible (a book primarily about God's holiness and how it relates to our unholiness) and exposing me to the writing of someone who has been utterly stricken by the holiness of God and wants nothing more than to see others similarly stricken.
Rex Blackburn
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chapter 6, "Holy Justice," was superb. I'll definitely be re-reading that chapter when I can! God is never unjust in his dealings with men; He either shows mercy, or shows justice. But He so frequently shows mercy, that humans begin to demand His mercy, and scorn His justice. Chapter 6 is worth your time and attention.
Ryan Gossett
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book by Sproul!! Great use of biblical stories and modern day analogies to show and explain the Holiness of God! Strongly encourage everyone to read!
Andrew
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sproul goes over key texts on the Holiness of God such as Isaiah 6 as well as some biographical information on key figures in Christianity who have been influenced by a proper understanding of the Holiness of God, such as Sproul’s discussion of Martin Luther’s conversion in chapter 5 and an overview of Jonathan Edward’s famous sermon, Sinner’s in the hands of an Angry God, in chapter 9, where Sproul also discusses a similar sermon that Jonathan Edwards preached, which is not as well known: Men ...more
Victoria
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love his writing style and "hearing" it in his distinctive, half-laughing voice.
Bendick Ong
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
“Jonathan edwards once said that ‘nothing’ is what sleeping rocks dream about. That doesnt help much. My son offered me a better definition of ‘nothing.’ When he was in junior high, i asked him when he came home from school, ‘what did you do today, son?’ The reply was the same every day: ‘nuthin.’ So the best explanation i can give of ‘nothing’ is ‘that which my son used to do every day in junior high.’

A classic light-hearted moment in sproul’s writings, even as he tackles something as
Ron
“Our marks of piety can actually be evidence of our impiety.”

Disappointing for a supposed classic of theology. Expected better from R. C. Sproul. An important topic for Christians. Even given Sproul’s well-known Calvinist orientation, his writings betray poor scholarship and bias. Good discussion of meanings of original texts, such as the same word being translated as truly and pray.

“The justice of God is always and ever an expression of His holy character.”

His theological gaffs are funny. He
Josh Wilson
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
For me the strong points here involved the historical information, for example, about Luther. Sproul bridges the gap between devotional book and commentary, and applications are plenteous. It just didn't engage my intellect very much. Something like Mary Douglas's book on Leviticus, while not intending to be "devotional" by any means, gets at the biblical idea of "holiness" more effectively because it is so text-oriented. This one didn't really fill in any gaps in my understanding of holiness, ...more
Stacy Guillory
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book I had this sense that there would be knowledge in here that once illuminated in my life, I would be held more accountable for this information. Upon completion of this book I have found it to be true.

Sproul dives into the Holiness of God in it's full majesty, truth, wrath, justice, mercy, grace and love. It is all of who He is, He is Holy.

I would recommend this book as it challenges our thinking from the natural view of God to see His Majestic Holiness in it's full
Sherly Holmes
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, christian
RC Sproul left me hungry for more of God's Holiness. As I was about to finish reading this book, I could hear myself at the back of my mind saying, "Whaaa! I want more, more!"

This book holds no limit in discussing God's holiness. I mean, it is not the typical type of read. It did not settle with the common knowledge we have about God. Rather, it provided a fresher, braver look into God's supremacy and His holiness. Thus, it had me craving for more and more, I did not want to stop reading it.
Nadine
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took 5ever to finish this book (because of my own laziness) . but this is a must read for all Christians. really explains & expounds on God's holiness & just how central it is to our understanding of God. it really is a great thing to to look into, completely makes God that much bigger & fantastic & majestic & awesome than we can ever believe or realize. & we are just that much evil, depraved & unholy & terrible & deserving of God's wrath than we think we ...more
Kevin
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I will be forever indebted to Dr Sproul for this classic work. It was 28 years between reading the first time. So much has happened over that time but hindsight makes it clear, I am passionate about divine sovereignty and holiness because of RC. Every Christian needs to read this as a new believer and then again as a refresher on holiness. When we understand who God is compared to who we are we will be effective tools for the kingdom and faithful slaves for our King.
Brian Eshleman
This is a powerful study of the character of God the Father, moving Christians from a kind of apology for Him in preference for the softer side of Christ's mercy. The author's unwavering in probing to see what we can learn from the very Scriptures about Him we would rather whitewash in an effort to fashion an idol of our own choosing.
Tom F
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent work. Definitely a book I would suggest.
Beth
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly enjoyable read, considering the meaty theological topic.

• Knowing God
  • Don't Waste Your Life
  • Foxe's Book of Martyrs
  • Mere Christianity
  • Holiness
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • Systematic Theology

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort

“Sin is cosmic treason. Sin is treason against a perfectly pure Sovereign. It is an act of supreme ingratitude toward the One to whom we owe everything, to the One who has given us life itself. Have you ever considered the deeper implications of the slightest sin, of the most minute peccadillo? What are we saying to our Creator when we disobey Him at the slightest point? We are saying no to the righteousness of God. We are saying, “God, Your law is not good. My judgement is better than Yours. Your authority does not apply to me. I am above and beyond Your jurisdiction. I have the right to do what I want to do, not what You command me to do.” 58 likes
“God’s grace is not infinite. God is infinite, and God is gracious. We experience the grace of an infinite God, but grace is not infinite. God sets limits to His patience and forbearance. He warns us over and over again that someday the ax will fall and His judgment will be poured out.” 57 likes