Start by marking “Zelfs als we zwijgen” as Want to Read:
Zelfs als we zwijgen

Zelfs als we zwijgen

Vijf vrienden komen nog één keer samen in een verlaten hut in de bergen voordat iedereen zijn eigen weg zal gaan. Het wordt een weekend om afscheid te nemen, van elkaar en van het spel dat ze de afgelopen drie jaar hebben gespeeld. Maar echt ontspannen wordt het niet, want iedereen heeft zo zijn eigen demonen om tegen te vechten, en allemaal dragen ze hun eigen geheim met ...more
Published October 2020 by HarperCollins (first published September 15th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Zelfs als we zwijgen, please sign up.
Jo Ladzinski Ever is nobinary and uses they/them pronouns, while Finn is trans and uses he/him pronouns.
Sofabanana I'd suggest 14+. While there isn't that much swearing or romantic encounters there is a large subplot dedicated to a someone (I can't say who bc spoil…moreI'd suggest 14+. While there isn't that much swearing or romantic encounters there is a large subplot dedicated to a someone (I can't say who bc spoilers) who is struggling with a drug addiction. I think it depends on the person so just take the info and judge how you will. 😊
Anyways, keep in mind that it is a thriller novel so some parts get dark. (less)

Start your review of Zelfs als we zwijgen
megs_bookrack

I don't even know what to say. Even If We Break was a huge disappointment for me. Ugh, it hurts.

I knew going in that the reviews were not the greatest. Regardless of the super interesting synopsis, it seemed a lot of readers were not enjoying it, but why?

Frequently, I find myself in the minority opinion on polarizing books, so in spite of the negative reviews, I still wanted to give it a go.

I love slightly cheesy, teen slashers, particularly with weekend getaways, or gaming elements. This book s
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oh, no! I hear the choo choo sounds of the disappointment train is about to arrive to the “this story is going anywhere” stop! Five friends in the cabin with secrets gave me “Cabin in the Woods’ vibes but promising premise and exciting start turned into something slow, repetitive, boring drama. And slowly all those brilliant potentials start to drown in a muddy place as my dreams about reading action packed, full of adrenalin rush thriller disappear forever!

I like the representation of transgend
Cesar
Oct 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star.

I'm going to try and write this review in the nicest way possible though I have a feeling I'll fail because this book frustrated me to no end. Rarely are there books that frustrate and now Even If We Break Joins that list.

I can't describe this book. I can't describe it because it doesn't know what it wants to be. It wants to be slasher horror with character growth but it fails in so many ways that I don't even know why this book was written.

Get ready folks. Strap in and let's go for a ri
Books R Life ☕
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
I recieved this book from a GoodReads giveaway! I really enjoyed reading this! The beginning was a little slow going at first, but ended up picking up not to long into it. Each chapter is about one of the characters. And each character has experience something that has made their friendships change within the group. They have always spent their summers togeather in the family cabin☠this year is their last.... And definitely the Scariest!! ☠ recommend if your into suspense!! Great Halloween/ Fall ...more
C.G. Drews
I flew through this one! It's very addictive and compelling, and I very much had chills several times. It also has such a fantastically neurodiverse and queer cast that it was truly a pleasure to read. (How often do we get books with autistic narrators where the book isn't JUST focused on autism?! Not enough. I appreciate Maddie so much.) Ever and Finn are trans, and there's bisexual and chronic pain rep too. It's focused on Role Play (I admittedly don't know anything about it 😭) and gaming and ...more
Kelly
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even if we break was disappointing. I was hoping for a gripping mystery/thriller but unfortunately, I never managed to connect to the characters even though it had good representation (queer & autistic characters). I also never connected with the plot which confused me at first when I saw that their "game" was actually role play. I thought why not, and I tried to get into the book but sadly, it left me a little bored and lost.

I was wondering for a while if someone really died or if it was part
Dennis
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, this wasn’t my favorite. However, I did really enjoy the social dialogue and issues presented with some of the main characters. The diversity in this book has allowed me to up my rating from 2 to 3 stars. Definitely a very YA vibe so if you battle on some YA books, maybe skip this one. This one is definitely more middle grade focused (in my opinion).
Angela Staudt
"As I catch my breath, I glance around at the group. We're a collection of individuals, all of us broken, all of us fragile. But the thing that scares me the most isn't that I might break us apart farther. It's that I want to."

Even If We Break follows five people who used to be best friends and now barely hang out. They get together one last time at a cabin buried deep in the woods, because they will be graduating and going their separate ways soon. Going into this book I thought it was going to
Anniek
I started this book last night, then stayed up to finish it, because I absolutely needed to know how it would end. And admittedly, it was pretty scary at times, although I'll be the first to admit I'm easily spooked. It was a very fun thriller, especially because I loved the characters, and I loved the RPG aspect and how it was weaved into the story. I will say I figured out who did it immediately, which was a bit of a shame to me, but I still had a really good time reading this.

Most importantly
Mara YA Mood Reader
Yaasss bring on the creep factor just in time for Fall!!

4/20/2020
Beth
This was a DNF at page 88.

Firstly I want to say that I am pretty sure it’s me and not the book because I went in with completely different expectations so when it wasn’t what I thought it completely threw me off.

The book itself has a lot of representation which is always good to see and I was intrigued to see what the characters secrets were, however to the point where I was I just want interested enough. It’s not like I’ve got to a point where it’s hard to DNF because it wasn’t.

Once again it’s
Alex
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7-8-and-9
Thanks to the publisher for providing a digital ARC of Even If We Break in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a self proclaimed horror junky. I used to pride myself on having read every single goosebumps book (published pre 2013), I grew up on scooby doo, then goosebumps, then are you afraid of the dark and the haunting hour and now I watch and read every horror story I can get my hands on. Even If We Break is not a horror story.

Even in kids horror, one of the most important aspects of a scary st
iam
Absolutely terrifying horror thriller about five roleplaying friends going to a haunted cabin, that shines through its queer and disabled representation.

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: murder, character death, graphic violence and injury, emotional torture, ableism, addiction to painkillers, transphobia.
Mentions of car accident, getting beaten up, poverty.

Even If We Break immediately scores with its heavy atmosphere from page one onwards. Even without the actual horror
Alaina
...what did I just read?

Even If We Break almost broke me. The beginning honestly sounded pretty cool, and so did the synopsis, but I was just so bored with everything that was happening. Also, the whole game thing is still weird and creepy to me. SO yeah, don't put me down for that game EVER.

In this, 5 friends are going to a cabin to play a game or whatever. At first, I thought it was like roleplaying something like dungeons and dragons. I honestly didn't know what I was getting into and once I
Drewthereader20
First book for December is finished and we are kicking the month off with a ya thriller and a 4 star read! RTC SOON!(:
Debbie
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author and definitely won't be my last! I can't wait to read Before I Let Go! Things I loved about the book: the setting (cabin in the mountain/woods) I love books and movies with that setting! So spooky! It gets scary pretty quickly after they arrive at the cabin, diversity, that there are five POV so we get to know what everyone is thinking and feeling, there is a ghost story thrown in so you don't know if it is a ghost or one of them that is doing ev ...more
Izzie
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Source Books for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book follows a group of 5 best friends who head up to a remote cabin for the weekend to play one last game in their invented role play world. Relationships are already fractured, but when mysterious notes start turning up and one of them goes missing it quickly spirals into a dark game for survival that none of them could have anticipated.
What I Liked:
Characters. This book had 5 POV characters, Ever, Finn, L
Kristy
This book completely excels in trans, non-binary, and neurodivergent rep. Major kudos there. The plot, though? A total mess. Full review to come. Thanks to Sourcebooks Early Reads for my copy.
Audrey
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alright, 2020, arc
I'm torn.
This is the second book I've read by Marieke Nijkamp, and there were some things I enjoyed. Ahem:
1) It was definitely a thriller and I'm usually hard-pressed to find a thriller that doesn't keep me turning the pages
2) It's use of RPGs as the backdrop for the plot and the friendship was really interesting and well done; I hadn't seen a book that used that before. I'm not super familiar with that world, but it seemed very well-researched. And finally:
3) The diversity?
This is where thi
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via the Publisher and Netgalleyin exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Actual Rating 2.75 Stars

Oh dear, I really had such high expectations from this horror mystery – but it failed to leave a mark on me.

Five friends; from different walks of lives who have had only one thing in common –
a RPG that they all immerse themselves in; come together to play one last game, before they all mo
Samantha
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a good lesson in the value of paying attention to the reviews from your Goodreads community, even if they are unfavorable but the synopsis sounds good.

Nijkamp had a great premise here, and parts of the book were successful (more on that in a moment), but on the whole, the book is a big letdown.

There is some heavy, heavy angst going on with all of these characters, and it is painful and frankly kind of irritating to read. Do we want our protagonists to fight to overcome hardships throu
Melanie Johnson
The premise sounds amazing:woods,cabin,ghost stories and 5 friends. This is YA story that reads very YA, so there is nothing wrong with that per se, but I’ve read a lot of YA that was enjoyable to me as an older reader. There is a lot of angst and insecurity and several times I thought “geez, just tell them how you feel already!” Also, this wasn’t very scary because the story was really more about these kids inner turmoil instead of a “Halloween” type book. I think the cover and the blurb is a d ...more
Aly
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and engaging read!

I have to shout out to the author for all the LGBTQ representation, as well as autistic and disability rep. I love seeing characters that reflect real life and with only five characters in most of the story, the author really fit a lot in.

For the mystery, I liked that the story the characters were acting out in their game matched what was actually happening to them. There were a lot of details and some pretty creepy moments. I do wish the murder mystery would have gone
Sara (A Gingerly Review)

FRTC
Solly
I don't read a lot of thrillers or horror books, usually. I think that may be because the representation I have of the genre in general isn't very diverse (but that's on me because I haven't explored it much).

I enjoyed this one a lot! I'm not easily scared and it spooked me at times so it was nice (I don't have a high bar for books making me feel fear, it's so rare, anything is good!). I loved Finn, Ever and Maddy so much! And there was so much rep in the book, the autistic, transmasc and non-bi
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
I’ve enjoyed book I read from this writer less than the one before. After a stellar debut, it’s time we part ways.
Casey Frank
Representation is so incredibly important in the entertainment we consume, and I'm thrilled to see more own-voices authors creating characters like the ones in this novel who are nonbinary, transgender, and neurodivergent. But I struggled with the imbalances of this narrative. I don't now how to talk about some of my frustrations without spoiling things so:
(view spoiler)
Erica
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even If We Break by Marieke Nijkamp was a fast-paced, page-turning thriller. The entire story captivated my attention and had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next.

Five friends go to a remote cabin in the mountains for one last weekend to play their role play game one last time before they all go their separate ways. Suddenly, one of the friends becomes a victim and game becomes a crime scene, leaving the rest to fight for their lives while fearing that their deepest
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I made it to the 30% mark in this one. I just couldn't bring myself to care about what was going to happen. I think it was because there were so many characters and they all sounded the same. I couldn't tell the difference between any of the voices and even after 30% of the book, I didn't know much about any of them. And nothing notable happened at all.
Selene
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

Gilmore Girls Read-a-Thon Bingo November 15, 2020 - November 22, 2020

Spaces Qualified:
- Character travels/stays in hotel
- Multiple POV
- Character does something reckless or dangerous

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for the advanced reading copy of Even If We Break by Marieke Nijkamp.

Even If We Break is about a group of five misfit high school students who are about to graduate and go their separate ways. In an a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Long and Faraway Gone
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Admission
  • The Female of the Species
  • Dangerous Girls
  • Some Girls Are
Marieke Nijkamp a storyteller, dreamer, globe-trotter, geek.

***

Please note I don't respond to friend requests or messages on GR, but you're always welcome to tweet or email me. :)