Jump to ratings and reviews

Blood Fury MC #6

Blood & Bones: Shade

A past that defined a future...

Shade has a secret.
One he’s hidden most of his life.
Secrets created in his past.
Of a broken family. A little boy lost.
Of broken dreams. With only nightmares left in their wake.

As a prospect, his MC nicknamed him Shady because he’s quiet and keeps to himself.
As a patched member of the Blood Fury, he changed it to Shade, because that’s what he prefers... to stick to the shadows.
To remain unseen.

Then he sees her. A flicker of light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.
The only problem is, he may never escape that darkness until he sheds the chains of his past that weigh him down.

Note: Blood & Bones: Shade is the sixth book in the Blood Fury MC series and is an age-gap romance (younger man/older woman). As always, this book has no cheating, no cliffhanger and has an HEA. It’s recommended to read this series in order.

445 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 6, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jeanne St. James

86 books2,118 followers
JEANNE ST. JAMES is a USA Today and international bestselling romance author who loves an alpha male (or two). She writes steamy contemporary M/F and M/M romance, as well as M/M/F ménages, and has published over 60 books (so far). She also writes M/M paranormal romance under the name: J.J. Masters. Some of her books have been translated into French, German, Italian and Portuguese.

Want to read a sample of her work? Download a sampler book here: BookHip.com/MTQQKK

To keep up with her busy release schedule check her website at www.jeannestjames.com or sign up for her newsletter: http://www.jeannestjames.com/newslett...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
21 (1%)
1 star
10 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 237 reviews
Profile Image for JenMcJ.
2,088 reviews314 followers
March 10, 2021
I love how this author writes but I also hate how she uses an "opposites attract" formula so often lately. The MILF plotline is so fresh but it collapses into a codependent mix of Shade wanting to know that his relationship is secure. That he is with someone reliable, honest, and dependable. A woman strong enough not to need caretaking or guidance from someone who manages the bare minimum to caretake and provide for himself. Chelle sees her empty nest coming and now has someone that triggers her empathy, will need her and rely on her and then adds a new chick in the nest to mother for more years ahead. Besides hot sex, Shade and Chelle have little in common, including, socioeconomic status, background, intellect and morality. Sure, love and loyalty over come a lot of that but is their connection strong enough for the trials ahead? I am not sure the author convinces me of that in this book because they have trials coming - such as:

Unlike the other couples who have a clue what their man does and how dirty he is, Chelle is absolutely clueless and would not overlook his nighttime and job related activities. When she discovers or starts to suspect what Shade does for the club at the crematorium and otherwise, Chelle isn't going to be morally corrupted by the vigilante argument well at all. Chelle asks waaaaay to many questions and is too smart not to figure it out eventually. Trig is also too perceptive not to expect this is going to be a problem down the road.

Finally, the stories always end when the actual couplehood settles into something that we want to see. How will they actually make a life work together? So I hope for connection, clarification, some time touching base in the next book(s) but we never get it and it's so disappointing. I would love for the author to either start including novellas that give us some reconnection time with past couples or start giving us some chapters and time in future books.
Profile Image for Darcy.
12.1k reviews417 followers
April 14, 2022
For much of this series so far Shade has just been there, not much was known about him, but when shit got real, he stepped up. So when I saw that this book was about him I was excited, I wanted to know more about him.

I have to say that his past was probably worse than I thought. After hearing all that he went through I'm surprised he is as sane and even keeled as he is and was so glad that he found the MC, a place to call home and people to call family.

I was intrigued by the woman that caught Shade's attention, yet it fit. I loved that Chelle didn't shy away from Shade, that every time Shade's past came up, she took the knowledge and let Shade know that his past didn't define him, that she liked the man he was now. Loved too, that Chelle's daughters really liked Shade for their mom and did what they could to help the relationship move forward.

I understood why Shade needed to check out for a bit, but wished that he would have warned those around him. I had no problem with what Shade did when he went walk about, also liked the decision he made, bringing someone new into the fold. I loved how both Trip and Chelle reacted when Shade came back, both of them accepted what was told to them and welcomed the new addition with open arms.

The ending had me smiling! Loved seeing the whole club happy at Christmas, even loved Shade give his brothers shit as they tried to flirt with Chelle's daughters.
Profile Image for Eleanor.
927 reviews29 followers
November 23, 2021
4 Shade Stars

Blood & Bones: Shade is the sixth book in the Blood Fury MC Series by Jeanne St. James. We hear a little about Shade in the previous books and I've always been interested in his story. I didn't expect it to be honest and this book is full of triggers so beware if this is an issue for you. For me, it’s not but it still shook me a little.

Whatever they did to survive became the building blocks to who each of them was now. What shaped their past, shaped them now and would shape their future.

Chelle is a mother of two and at least ten years older than Shade but he can't seem to keep himself away from her.

“Not sayin’ goodbye, Chelle. Ain’t ever sayin’ goodbye. Leavin’ you would be like carving away a piece of me.”

This was such a lovely story but at times it was a hard read, Shade's story really broke my heart. James has a way with her stories to reel us in and break us but then put us back together again afterwards. Her secondary characters are always spot on and make her stories great! I love her stories and I will definitely be reading more in this series.

Profile Image for Tee loves Kyle Jacobson.
2,471 reviews170 followers
March 16, 2021
I have to say that this is the first book I have read by Jeanne and it won't be the last. I loved this story right from the start. Shade has had a hard life and I cried for his childhood. No child should go through that. He got his name Shade from the club because he keeps to himself and does what he has to do.

Then he meets Chelle and all bets are off. He falls for her but doesn't think he deserves her. So he takes it slow and the more they spend time together the more they get closer.

This is a must read series that I am going to read. You should read this series because it is kick arse!
Profile Image for Sara F..
172 reviews5 followers
February 16, 2021
I’ve been waiting on Shade for a loooong time - pretty much since he first turned down a sweet butt in Trip’s book. What biker does that?! I knew there must be a whopper of a story there and boy, did we get it. Such a brutal, heart-wrenching story. I cried for young Shade. His back story is the stuff of nightmares. What should have turned him into a psychotic monster actually turns him into a heroic vigilante. I loved him- one of my favorite JSTJ heros ever. Chelle is amazing and perfect for him. I loved her daughters. I hope we see more of them.

This author is such an incredible weaver of tales. She breaks my heart, puts it back together and then I’m dying to read the next one- What’s next for my favorite characters - past and present?! The set up for so many new relationships and adventures begin. It makes me giddy. Super highly recommend.

You can probably read this as a stand-alone but there’s an overarching plot line between books that make it more enjoyable to start with book 1, Trip.

Profile Image for Nicki.
3,493 reviews151 followers
February 22, 2021
It is very hard to get close to people when you are trying to hide the awful things that have happened to you when you were very young, but the moment Shade meets Chelle it is as if something shifts and he has finally found someone. Being a widow and a mother of two teenage girls the last thing Chelle ever thought she would be was attracted to a younger man - an a motorcycle club member to boot, but through lots of time, honesty and trust the unlikely duo come together for an emotional and heart wrenching story. From the opening pages to the very last one, this book captivates it's readers and they come away very different than when they started. Jeanne St. James - this is one of the best books you have written yet!!
Profile Image for Anne in VA.
1,020 reviews10 followers
March 7, 2021
Yes!!!!! First five-star of 2021!!! This book broke my heart at times, but it's the best book from St. James that I've read to date. I've been eagerly anticipating Shade's story---as I'm sure many others have too---and it exceeded my expectations. The story was so full of emotions and it hit on everything. Gritty plot and great characters with the focus on Shade and Chelle, not the other club members. Shade and Chelle together were a dream and everything just fell perfectly into place all the way to the end. St. James might just be one of those rare authors that's actually getting better the more she writes because this Blood & Bones MC series is above and beyond her Angels MC series.
Profile Image for domestic_godess_reads.
669 reviews18 followers
February 22, 2021
Each new book that JSJ writes in this series is fantastic. But this book, it’s on another level. Shade broke my heart. No human being should suffer what this man has been through in his life. Finding the club and his brothers has gone a long way to helping him but when he meets Chelle something shifts. Yes this story will break your heart but JSJ slowly puts it back together again in the best ways.
This is a slow burn romance.
Profile Image for Lit.
281 reviews3 followers
March 8, 2021
Wow. Sooo good.

This was a bit if a difficult read due to some of the subject matter (human trafficking and abuse), but it was so worth it. My heart twisted for Shade when the past was revealed. But Chelle and her girls were just right for him, and even more so when Jude was added to the family.

Can’t recommend this book enough.
Profile Image for Mystix.
291 reviews
Shelved as 'dnf'
October 8, 2022
✨ checked out hs daughters

✨ described how he liked the way one of his brothers wives looked

✨ watched his brother get off with 2 OWs in detail, debated on taking one (after meeting and being interested in h) but decided against it and decided to jack off to h instead

✨ slept with one of his future step daughters best friends (she’s a sweet butt/club whore)

No thanks
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Teresa Lara.
2,724 reviews36 followers
June 5, 2022
Love this series
Love the fury mc
All the feels
Intense emotional heartstopping broken heartwrenching love story of Chelle and Shade
Ready for more
Need Rook
Profile Image for Nikki'J'.
479 reviews9 followers
September 19, 2021
Jeanne St James has broken my heart with Shade. How a little boy could go through so much and be able to survive is beyond belief. Shade may be broken and rough but has a heart that beats so deeply for those important to him you can overlook the darkness that lives inside him. If anyone deserves to find a HEA then I think Shade is the one. Thank goodness it worked out so well for him or I may have had to have a book breakup with Jeanne.

For 13 years he endured hell, somehow he made it to the other side and with a mission. He had nothing else but that until he found himself a prospect for the Blood Fury MC. The brothers weren't sure what to make of the prospect who spoke very little and was always in the background but Shade proved himself to be worthy and became a full brother. He hasn't forgotten his past he never could, it haunts his dreams every night and he lives his life with restrictions from others getting too close unless it's on his terms.

When he meets Chelle while working with Cassie (Judge's ol' lady) as part of the club's pet crematorium business he feels things that he hasn't before. He actually thinks about letting a woman touch his hair something he's never willingly done before. He wants more time with her so decides he'll deliver her cat remains the next day.

With a strange pull to Shade and a curiosity that she can't tame Chelle starts to get to know the biker. It starts with paying Shade to help her paint her house but when she discovers he can't read she wants to fix that for him. Books are her life as a librarian at the school and she wants to be able to make Shade's life better for him. Their chemistry is undeniable and when it explodes the two don't fight it, at least not for long. The plan is to keep it between the two until Chelle has had enough of Shade because he has no plan to give her up until she makes that call. When the club finds out Shade is spending time with someone Trip (club president) orders Shade to bring her along. He needs to know if she could make it in their world for the club's sake and Shade's.

Despite an introduction to club life that borders on scarring Chelle doesn't give Shade up, in fact after an accident that puts Shade on bed rest for at least 2 weeks, Chelle demands the club move him into her house so she can take care of him. The relationship grows and Shade knows he's fallen in love with her. Something he's never had before, but he has to deal with his past and his mission before he can be what she needs.

After healing he disappears leaving the club and Chelle to worry and wonder, he'll be back if they'll have him as soon as he rights some wrongs. When he returns with a kid in tow he's surprised to be mostly welcomed with open arms from the club and Chelle greets with a breath-stealing kiss despite her anger for his disappearance.

As the only one that knows the truth about his past, Chelle excepts his disappearance and the kid he brought back with him. With Chelle her 2 grown daughters and Jude, Shade finally has a life worth something despite the horrors of his past.

Happy Reading
Enjoy your next escape :)
Profile Image for Erica.
870 reviews19 followers
February 24, 2021
I knew as soon as we were intro’d to Shade I was going to need to survive his story.

This was a tough one to navigate all that darkness could not obstruct the searing cleansing light that Chelle brings to Shade’s world.

Shade has all the makings of man that has not had the best of anything, the darkness of his past drowns him, yet he has such sweetness.

Chelle is strong and witty and her determination is such an inspiring trait.

I loved their immediate attraction and their intense chemistry, and their sexy times are off the charts hot.

All up I LOVED it! A rollercoaster ride for the emotional senses. I cannot wait for Rook’s story up next!!
Profile Image for Wminbc.
1,138 reviews82 followers
February 17, 2021
I must start by saying...I will slay anyone and everyone who touched my Shade. (Note the book does have a trigger warning, so I am not giving away any spoilers) As a survivor, I can totally put myself in maybe one-one millionth of his horror. But he came out stronger than ever, more determined than ever, and more faithful than ever for his FAMILY!!!

If you haven't read books 1-5 and the Manning books...I don't know why not and I cannot excuse it. Go to those, one click the heck out of Jeanne St. James backlogs and then lets talk when you are done. For the rest of you who have read those and the DAMC series, you will see that these BFMC guys are raw, broken, fractured, and flawed, but oh sooo devoted to building the family that each and every one of them need (often for very different reasons).

Shade has been the guy in the background. The quiet one. If you know me at all...I LOVE the quiet ones. My DH is/was a quiet guy and as they say, 'still waters run deep'. DH had a faint stutter, mostly because of the numerous continents he lived on as a child and the various accents and languages (he would have to think about how words are said). I loved that about Shade, how he would choose his words and frame his few sentences carefully. If he was going to give you his words, they were going to be precious. I loved how this thread wove through the story and those Shade gave words to were special to him: Chelle, Red, Cassie to name a few.

The BFMC has an enemy: the Shirley Clan of hillbilly goat f'ers up on the mountain. The problem has been...they don't always stay up there. The last two run in's had BFMC property taken up the mountain and Trip, Sig, Judge, and the guys would not rest until their property was returned. Shade earned his colours in one of those expeditions up the mountain. He also earned a whole new level of respect from his brothers. He was then known as a brother who would do literally anything for a brother. I loved the 'bromance' between Shade and Easy and so looking forward to Easy's life getting HARD!

This book was tragic, sexy, endearing, heartbreaking, and I devoured it one evening. The book hangover I have today is worth it and then some. Happy Birthday to me!!! And I will leave you with one last thought, which could be the BFMC mantra but is a Cheyenne Proverb:
"A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground. Then its
finished; no matter how brave its warriors or how strong their weapons."
Cheyenne Proverb
399 reviews1 follower
March 7, 2021
Speechless

All I can say is wow. (This review will contain spoilers). After being so disappointed in the last two heroines in this series, (especially Jemma), Shade’s book truly delivered pretty much in every way. First of all this book is really dark. I’ve read almost all of Jeanne St. James books and I don’t remember any of her books being this dark. The things that Shade endured as a child were disturbing and really hard to read. The fact that it went on for 10 years of his life was unbearable. It’s described a few times in this book and like I said, it was so hard to read. The fact that this actually does go on in this world makes me kind of sick.

So Shade is truly a broken man, but has so much good in him despite what horrors he lived through. He shuts himself off from pretty much every one except his MC brothers who have become his only family and home. He was never educated, never went to school and can’t read (which he’s able to hide very well). He also speaks in a very slow deliberate manner because we come to find out later he has a learning disability and since he was a captive of some sick people his entire childhood, he was never able to learn and overcome it.

When he meets Chelle, they are immediately drawn to each other. They have one of those immediate connections that are so rare in life. They are also complete opposites. I loved that Chelle was so open to him from the very beginning. Even though she knew he was in an MC, she never judged him. She trusted her gut impression of him. She was fascinated by him. She noticed his speech pattern right away (because she’s a librarian), and wanted to get down to the bottom of it and help him. Chelle was beautiful, loving, kind and accepting. I absolutely loved her.

She hired him to paint her house and their relationship develops from there. She’s 10 years older than him but it totally worked here. I LOVED them together. And the way their relationship evolved was truly beautiful. Especially the way Shade learns to trust her and show her his physical and emotional scars. It was gut wrenching and my God my heart was just shattered for Shade. But to have Chelle listen to that and be there for him and show him love and tenderness was just —omg it was just so emotional and beautiful.

Some other things I loved about this book- they are together for pretty much the entire book. There’s no push and pull, no second guessing. I LOVED her daughters!! The scene with them and Shade when he’s staying with them is one of my favorites in the entire book. I loved their HEA and I really hope her daughter Maddie ends up becoming a heroine in a later book 😉.
233 reviews2 followers
April 5, 2022
This is a good book, so easy to read, so difficult to put down. From time to time I did put it down, however, in order to think about what I had just read. Ms. St. James brings a lot of emotion as well as intelligence to her story about a man, Shade, and a woman, Chelle, who have nothing in common and yet get along well together.

It’s a younger man – older woman story written with extraordinary sensitivity. Shade has had about the roughest, most difficult life of any MC character written. Chelle has had sadness in her life, but not nearly to the extent that Shade has had. He has kept his past a secret from everyone, opening up to Chelle as their relationship progresses. Ms. St. James develops their relationship in careful layers, and it feels genuine and natural.

Both Shade and Chelle are well fleshed out. They live on the page. The secondary characters thrive under Ms. St. James’ pen as well. Chelle’s daughters exist as unique entities, not simply pawns used to highlight characteristics and features in the protagonists. The daughters, Maddie and Josie, are delightful in their own rights. They are feisty, intelligent, funny. They bring an empathy to the story.

There are some inconsistencies that are stark. Mentioning them would mean spoiling the way the story unfolds. However, they are serious. For instance – and this example mentions something that isn’t exactly a spoiler, but is initially a surprise to the reader – Shade was able to track down his abusers, but how? He could hardly read, had no computer skills…how did he find these men? It was the writer’s “and then a miracle occurred” moment with no details on how he found the appropriate information. There are other similar problems but listing them would be deleterious to the reading experience.

There are some errors, but not many. For instance:
 “Her and Maddie were in the same grade….” This is a librarian (who admittedly loves words) speaking; she would not use bad grammar. It should be, “She and Maddie were in the same grade….” The word, “her,” is an object but the sentence needs a subject pronoun, “She.”
 “Miller final remembered a boy named Julian….” Maybe he FINALLY remembered a boy?

I rated this book 4.5 stars and rounded down because of some logistical flaws. Otherwise, this is a beautiful story, for all its inherent MC violence, about a man coming to grips with all that has happened to him. Really, well done!
Profile Image for Patty.
3,713 reviews25 followers
February 19, 2022
Blood & Bones: Shade
Blood Fury MC, Book 6
By: Jeanne St. James
Narrated by: Jason Clarke, Ava Lucas

I don't know how she does it, but Jeanne St James keeps writing original stories that not only have steam and action but will tug at your heart strings! This one, from the first line had me captivated and excited to keep going. Shade had a horrible childhood, things he never speaks of and keeps the secrets close to his heart. He keeps to himself, quiet and a man of few words. That is until the day he meets Chelle. A widow with two girls, she is a mess the day he meets her, but there is something about her that calls to him. She calms him and he feels comfortable. Chelle too feels the same pull, but the age difference is unsettling for her. Seeing the MC lifestyle is a bit unnerving as well, but Chelle sees Shade for who he is, and never gives in when times get tough. The question is, when she does find out the entire truth, will she still feel the same? This is a complex story that unfortunately is more relevant that I would like to think. It is thought provoking and at times disturbing, but most of all heart wrenching for Shade. You just want to grab him and hold him! Chelle is an incredibly compassionate and patient woman. I love how she sees him for the man he is, not who he sees as himself. And the girls are wonderful too. This has to be my favorite of this series, it's passion and understanding is first and foremost with a love story you can't beat.

Then to make the story even better, St James picks incredible narrators. Ava Lucas voices Chelle, giving her the "mom" tone which I think is hilarious as anyone who hears it responds! She gives her an understanding and passion that is perfectly matched for Chelle's personality and kept me falling in love. Jason Clarke, from 4 years old to 30, gives a performance that is so good, you can't help but have so many feelings. Your heart will ache, and then fill with love. These two make an incredible team and could not be better cast for this story.
Profile Image for DemetraP.
3,560 reviews
March 14, 2021
This was a tough book to read. The hero had such a traumatic past and the heroine suffers the loss of her 18 year old cat the day they meet. It was great to read about a 41 year old heroine. Hero is 30.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
E
R
S
..........................................

The hero was a victim of human trafficking from the age of 4. He had awful burn scars and a knife wound that says Mine with an arrow pointing to his butt. That's why none of his MC brothers have ever seen him naked.

He also can't read because he was never in school.

The heroine is a librarian. They meet when she is putting her cat to sleep as the MC runs a home pet euthanasia service.

She finds out he can't read and offers to help him. She is 41 and he is 30. 11 years older than her. He says age is a number and it doesn't bother him

She also has two adult daughters (one 17 and one 20ish) who live with her. It was funny for her and him to sneak around and have sex so her daughters wouldn't find out.

Hero has killed most of the men who abused him and he finishes his list at the end of the book. Heroine finds out his mother died (mom was also the victim of human trafficking) so at least hero gets some closure there.

Hero also rescues a 12 year old boy from human trafficking and tells everyone he is his father as the 12 year old has no where to go. His mother was also killed by human traffickers. Heroine agrees to be his mom and help raise the 12 year old.

Things are heating up with the Shirleys (evil clan who kidnapped and raped Autumn / Red in Sig and Red's book). Shade has been killed the men but a kid whacks him with a baseball bat and obviously the Shirleys now know they are being hunted down and killed.

I really liked the romance in this book. She helped him learn to read, he loved having sex with her and said really beautiful compliments to her all the time. Also nicknamed her beautiful.
Profile Image for Ola Adamska.
2,667 reviews19 followers
February 19, 2021
Oh my goodness!!! I probably said that before, but those stories written by Ms. James are getting better and better with each book, and with every character, we meet in this series we get something else, something more to the story. This time we concentrate on Shade, he was a character that had me intrigued from the very first book he appeared in!
Shade is the person that always keeps to himself, he wants to keep in the shadows - you know the type, he wants to stay out of the radar. This is his MO, but maybe he will slowly open in proper circumstances. I have to say that - his story is the darkest one and the most destroying one I read written by Ms. James, so please keep in mind triggers s this book can get some people to the breaking point of their minds. This author can get me to feel everything even when it comes to the third person in a narrative style. Even when it comes to my stone heart for stories - I cried for Shade, even when I wanted to control myself! It was such an amazing read!
Chelle is a librarian in school, but we meet her in a different place, we meet her for the very first time in a pet crematory, where she wants to cremate the body of her pet. She's lonely when it comes to relationships, as she lives only with her daughters. She's ideal for Shade, she can find her own way to him, but how their relationship will resolve, each reader will have to find on their own!
Totally recommend it, but only to readers that will not back out due to triggers.
Profile Image for Wendy.
100 reviews1 follower
March 10, 2021
Five stars not enough ....

Some authors can write a book with a tragic backstory due to a taboo/trigger event because they feel their audience wants it. They create a good book where you feel sad for the character but don't really feel what the character went through, how they overcame their tragic past and created a new life.

Then there are authors who suck you into a character's life. Who can make you feel what the character went through without pages of gory details. Have you holding your breath as you watch them painfully build brick by brick their new life. You want them to have a happy ever after even though you know it has to go dark before it can stay light.

Jeanne St James is one of those authors and this is one of those books. Shade's history was carefully drawn out with little snippets so you knew something bad had happened but you didn't know how bad until the big reveal. Gory descriptions weren't needed because the emotion in the words painted the picture. You're heart broke for him and then slowly knitted together when you saw the bond he had with Chelle slowly sealing his old wounds.

He will never be fully healed from the past but with Chelle he has the support he needs to build a new, stronger future for him and his new family. A new family with two hilarious daughters who are going to be good trouble in the future. Loved the interrogation by them.

All in all, a really top notch read worth more than a five star review.
43 reviews
April 10, 2021
This was the book I was most anticipating and it didn't disappoint. I loved it. Read it in one day. I didn't mind the age gap. I loved the chemistry.

The part that bothered me was when Shade kept mentioning Judge's ol' lady and comparing her to Chelle. Like "not quite as curvy as Cass" or talking about how he has gotten used to Cass giving him hugs. I don't know why but in my head like an under current of....in another life, if Shade's life hadn't happened the way it did he could picture himself with a woman like Cass and a daughter like Daisy, living in a house like Judge contemplating having another kid. But instead it's easier being with an older woman where kids aren't an option. Like having young kids would bring up too many memories. He even talks about how he feels the needs to escort Cass/Daisy to and from the school because of Daisy being six and if anything were to happen to her at that age and the extra protectiveness he feels. His story definitely touched me the most because he knows what he missed out on with losing so many years of his life. And while he is free now and he's found a place with his brothers, he has found Chelle and a place he can settle in and has found happiness...it isn't what his life SHOULD have been. And he knows that. I think in a way he sees that his life should be him, Cass, and a couple of kids like Daisy...taking them to school, having a home, doing the normal things. That maybe that's all he ever really wants.
209 reviews1 follower
March 10, 2021
The mysterious biker & a gorgeous cougar🔥🔥🔥

To be honest I didn't have much interest in Shade from the previous books...don't know why but he didn't really peek my interest...but hot damm if this book didn't change my mind. It just became my favorite of the series. Shade as we know from previous books keeps to himself and basically a mystery that no one can solve. Chelle is gorgeous single mom librarian at Daisy's school. Things that I loved about this book that I haven't seem much in other books ( might contain a spoiler or 2 below)

1. Finally we have an older woman younger man age gap romance.

2. Her kids are pretty much grown and are supportive of thier moms relationship with a younger man.

3. Shade is not like other men in the club..always sleeping around with sweet butts and hang arounds. He puts his foot down and sets boundaries with them...and will not let any of them disrespect his woman or make her feel less than.

4. Shade obviously is attracted to the hot MILF but it's her mind and heart he loves the most.

Although there are some dark subjects written about when talking about Shades past...which is heartbreaking. Lots of funny moments in this book make me love the Blood Fury family even more. I would give this book a thousand stars if I could.
Author 2 books1 follower
March 10, 2021
I looked forward to reading Shade's story, and it didn't disappoint. After reading the book, you will finally know why the man is what he is. He'll still has his secrets, but as a reader you've learned them all. Shade is with his new family of brothers for two years now, and he finally feels like he has found some kind of home. He goes up the hillbillies hill every week to reduce the men on that hill, because of his past and because of what they did to Autumn and hopes to keep his secrets. But his closely erected walls are to be crumbled when he meets Chelle, a twelve year older woman who raised two girls on her own, when the love of her life died in active duty. But that has turned her into this strong, beautiful and in his eyes very sexy woman. There is a strong attraction and connection between the two, and soon it becomes much more than only sex. But to have Chelle and her kids in his life, he needs to deal with his past first. The little boy who lost so much needs to find himself, so he can be worthy of Chelle's love. And so he disappears and leaves everybody behind in his quest with just the words I love you. He will reckon with his past and gain something much more. Please read the warnings before you start. I could keep my eyes dry until the very end, but that had mostly to do with Chelle's gift for him and their HEA.
Profile Image for Lisa.
390 reviews1 follower
February 15, 2021
I have read a lot of books, and never has a book captured my heart and soul like Shade’s story. This book had everything - every emotion and then some. Not sure that I can adequately describe the intensity of this story without spoiling anything. Jeanne St James is a master storyteller, she has the ability to capture your mind and make you live the stories through the characters. This book is by far one of the best books I have ever read. She not only captured my undivided attention, but she captured my heart and soul. The depth of this story is mind boggling and it will gut you. It will shred your soul and heart and you will cringe as you relive his story, but she tells it in the most beautiful way. She gives Shade dignity and strength in himself and from others.
Each book of this series has delved deeply into the characters pasts and has taken you on emotional roller coasters, but this one is the toughest yet.
I applaud her for telling this story, for bringing light to such a very dark subject and makes you think if you have been oblivious to such a horrific circle.
I can’t say enough good things about this book. Shade’s story will stay with me forever. He captured my heart and my soul wept for him.
A beautifully tragic story. Well done!! Bravo for this masterpiece.
160 reviews1 follower
February 22, 2021
Shade had so many sides to him and every experience made him the person he was. He has always kept his secrets to himself and did not want anyone to uncover them. You will be hooked on Shade as soon as you start reading his story. What can I say about Chelle; she was an absolute gem. She had her own set of secrets and Shade was determined to find out what they were.
My excitement and anticipation was at an all time high waiting for Shade's story and his story did not disappoint-you will love this story. It was heart warming but at times also heart wrenching. You just find yourself wanting him to find something wonderful in his life. It was outstanding and hated to see it end; (but what an ending). I just knew Shade's story would be one of my favorite. Jeanne has a way with words that will pull on your heart strings and you look forward to what will happen next. The secondary characters were a great addition to the story and it was great to see how previous MC couples were doing.
This has been a great series and I look forward to the next story.
I received a copy of this book as a gift and this is my honest and voluntary review.
Profile Image for Danielle.
38 reviews
February 25, 2021
Shade is a man who quietly does without anyone knowing.  He also quietly suffers.
As a single mother Chelle holds family above all else. When she meets Shade, there is something about him that calls to her very soul.
But can Shade overcome his dark past by letting Chelle's bright soul into his corner? And once she finds out about his past, will she still want a man so damaged?
The delicate balance that Jeanne St. James writes is pure poetry. She gets the story across of these rough and tough bikers who have both hearts of gold and some sins that are as dark as night. The bittersweet agony that is portrayed in Shade's book is so compelling,  so realistic, I feel like I took a sugar cube, stuffed it inside of a lemon, then took a honking big bite. The bitterness of the lemon and the sweetness of the sugar cube is how I see Shade's character. Such a complex character with the fighting spirit to not back down. Chelle is the most brilliant match for him. Her quiet acceptance of who he is and all of the demons he fights is absolutely stunning. A truly fabulous work of art. You have once again outdone yourself.
406 reviews1 follower
March 9, 2021
An emotional indulgence. This is really a very sweet story compared to others in this series. With my very limited knowledge of the atrocious situations portrayed in this story, I think the author handled them well. She gave you enough to feel the pain and rage of the situation without truly graphic imagery. Lots of thought went into the writing of this story.
The fact that Shade came out on the other side as caring and thoughtful as he did is amazing. His skewed vision of making things right, and protecting those he cares for is terrifying yet understandable, if not acceptable. And for him to be able protect those that could be caught up in that kind life admirable. Love that Chelle and Shade found each other, without any of the games men and women like to play, but with caution and determination. Chelle has such a big heart. She accepts who and what Shade is, and tries to understand him as best she can. Does Shade have a "mommy issue" undoubtedly, but if it makes them both happy then so be it. I wish them and theirs a life full of love and laughter, they all deserve it.
Oh so well worth your time and $$, and if you have Kindle Unlimited like me all the better.
384 reviews
February 14, 2021
I may have said this before but this series just keeps getting better! Each book is a little different than the last but each are amazing. I thought the prologue to Cage’s book tore me up but this one almost had me in tears. Shade is always on the sidelines, quietly watching and now I know why and it breaks my heart. Chelle is perfect for the quiet man. She’s funny and sweet and compassionate and she doesn’t back down or give up. There’s a void in each of their lives and together they fill those voids. Ms. St. James did a fantastic job telling Shade and Chelle’s story. Hard subject matter written with dignity and compassion. I truly am loving the supporting characters too, fun to get reacquainted with all of them. Also really like Chelle’s daughters. Their heart to heart with Shade had me laughing out loud...hilarious! Great job, once again, Ms. St. James...Shade is a winner!
160 reviews1 follower
February 18, 2021
I would give it more stars if it was possible!This series gets better with each book!This book is about Shade and Chelle.He meets her while on a call for the pet euthanasia and crematorium.There’s an attraction from the start when she asks him to help paint her house.Shade is a very quiet man because of his secrets.As their relationship progresses his secrets come out and she’s right there helping him and understanding why he is the way he is.Her girls are great kids and when they find out their mom is seeing him they are totally onboard with it.This book is so emotionally encompassing that it had me near tears at points,no one should have to live the horrors that Shade endured.I had a hard time putting it down.I loved how Chelle was so excepting of Shade and willing to let herself help him at every turn.Great ending and can’t wait for the next book!I read this book as an arc and this is my honest opinion.
35 reviews
February 26, 2021
This amazing book made me have to catch my breath many times. What an incredible story! I love Shade so much. His story shattered my heart, I can barely begin to express my love for Shade. I am both grateful to Chelle for loving him and helping him heal and jealous of her because- DAMM...Shade is just AMAZING and I would love to trade places with Chelle! This book hit every emotion there is....love, anger, hate, need, joy, sorrow and more. Jeanne St. James continues to create the most incredible characters that you can easily become obsessed with. Shade is so strong, his journey is heartbreaking, rage inducing and so inspiring. Shade and Chelle seem meant to be. Perfect for each other--soulmates! Their relationship was sweet, sexy, supportive, respectful, emotional and sooooo HOT!!! I already want to reread Shade, and I know I will many times. One-click this book right now! I only hope Chelle doesn't find out about that security camera footage! LOL!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 237 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.