Start by marking “Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)

Memento

(The Illuminae Files #0.5)

From New York Times bestselling authors Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff comes an Illuminae prequel digital novella that gives readers a hair-raising glimpse into the calamity that befell the invincible AI system known as AIDAN–and the daring young programmer who would risk her life to keep it from crashing.

AIDAN is the AI you’ll love to hate.

The advanced AI system was suppo
Published October 20th 2020 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Memento, please sign up.
Evelyn I read it on my kobo and I found it to be easy to read. There are no ship graphics or anything, so it's pretty easy to read. You just have to zoom in …moreI read it on my kobo and I found it to be easy to read. There are no ship graphics or anything, so it's pretty easy to read. You just have to zoom in a bit for two pages. (less)
Patricia both! I've found it on B&N, Penguin Random House and Amazon…moreboth! I've found it on B&N, Penguin Random House and Amazon(less)

Start your review of Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
After being deleted about a thousand times by the GR admins because it was no actual book this gem is finally going to be available as an audio and e-book!!!!

YAS!!!! YAS!!! AND ONCE AGAIN YASSSS!!!

This just made my day and if I wouldn't commute to work right now I would have jumped around like a ferret! 😂😂😭

I'm so happy I could cry!! But people already stare at me because I jumped and yelled "YAS" under my breath so.... Let's not scare them even more. 😂🙈

All I'll say is AIDAN!!!! 😍🥰❤
Phrynne
Shelves: 5000-2020
This prequel makes me want to read the whole series over again! Just 80 pages but they are all about AIDAN, explaining how and why he becomes what he is in the later books.

Memento is probably not the book to read first - rather read the series and then come back to this. There are little call outs to the later books and it helps to understand the background. AIDAN is still his wonderful self though and I love the layout of all the books even if it is a little harder to read on the kindle than it
nivedha
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
never thought i'd be this excited to read a novella about a murderous space robot jk jk i love aidan.

---

4 stars.
Hamad
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have very mixed feelings about this being released in E-book and Audio.
On one hand I love this series and I am happy I can read this soon.
On the other hand, it sucks to promise readers for exclusivity and promising that this will never ever be available in any format in the future and then now we have it in multiple formats?

RTC
Helena of Eretz ✰
While I'm glad that I can finally add this to my shelves without having it deleted every other second by other Goodreads Librarians...I went out of my way to get this because it was "exclusive" and the "only way" that I was supposedly able to read it. That's a tad disappointing. I literally could have just waited a few months, had I known about this. Couldn't they have released another novella set in the Illuminae world???

Regardless, I read this earlier this year and it definitely piqued my inte
Laura ☾
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was absolutely brutal..and I expected nothing less
✰ Aileen ✰
I fucking love AIDAN.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love that this is being released in an audio and ebook format! 😍 Proof!

I haven't read my print copy of this novella yet because I keep putting off finally "finishing" the series, but I might have to grab the audiobook just because I love AIDAN's narration so much. 🥺
Krystal
Okay mostly I'm excited this is being released OFFICIALLY so that Goodreads will finally accept it XD

I won a copy a while back (two copies, actually - I donated the second) and it was a fun little read! Here's the review I originally tacked on to the end of my Illuminae Review.

***

The novella is a prequel, introducing AIDAN before the events of Illuminae. It's a short story but it adds a lot of interesting depth to Aidan's character and the conversations with Olivia were rather intriguing.

There's
Sam
Oct 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god it’s actually being released for everyone to read?! This is so exciting!
Ashley
Shelves: 2020-oct
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars

PERFECTION

Just saying... my God I missed this series so very much. I certainly hate to love AIDAN, and love to LOVE AIDAN!

That is all.😉

🤍🖤🤍🖤🤍
Mariah
FUCKITY FUCK FUUUUUUCKKKKKK
IM GONNA REREAD THIS WHOLE SERIES NOW ARENT I
Gonna come right out and say it

Been patiently waiting for this moment, because it was inevitable.
Feel bad from my international frands who dropped a pretty penny for this though.
Katie.dorny
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I love AIDAN and this book exploring where it all started going wrong was fucking lit
Eleanor
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This broke my heart.
Now I wanna read the series all over again even if I know it's gonna hurt me a lot.
Carolyn
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, short-stories
This short story takes us back to before the events that kicked off the 'Illuminae' series, to the time just before AIDAN, the AI of the battlecarrier Alexander was damaged in the battle of Kerenza. It shows how AIDAN began to think of himself as an entity and began to make decisions that would shape the future for his ship, his crew and those they encounter.

It was fun to see some of the characters from the series pop up and made me remember all that was yet to come. A great little prequel about
Hailee
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AIDAN... wow this made me want to reread the illuminae files so badly! this series is so good at making me cry lol the tragedies that happen are so heartbreaking and the deliveries of plot twists/points always leave me like
👁👄👁
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
AIDAN is seriously messed up and I love it. So it's nice to finally have it's origin story.
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
the AI you'll love to hate?? oh hunny no I love to love this AI thank you very much
Jess
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So hyped to be back in the world again if only for a little while. Although, I am now debating whether a reread is needed...🧐😆
lapetitepritt
after like 1.5 years i can finally add this book to my read shelf and give it the 5 stars it deserves
AudiobookFiend
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy s&@$! What an incredible addition to this already sensational series! I have a renewed abundance of respect for the incomparible partnership that is Kaufman and Kristoff. I absolutely adore prequels and the insight they can provide. And when it’s unexpected, it’s even more of a delight. Here’s where we learn why AIDAN is how it is, and yet the reader can still decide whom to believe. Just like the quote above, AI and the morality of it’s ever expanding role in our lives will continue to pla ...more
tammy
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, favorites, 5-star
”we do not die who live on in beloved hearts.”

character cameos, funny banter, chaotic aidan ramblings... this was everything i expected and more :D if you’re a fan of illuminae or want a small taste of what the main trilogy has to offer, memento won’t disappoint.

aidan is the most complex character in this series and learning about everyone who impacted his character is so fun. for a short novella, it was incredibly enjoyable. !!!

october 18
i’ve been dying to read this ever since i finished (a
Sabrina Ye
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25~4.5 stars.

AIDAN is back in this marvelous novella and it just makes me want more 😃😃😃 I really hope that one day there will be an entire series mainly focus on this poetically sentimental, murderous AI 🙈😍
Vivianne
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-5-stars
I have wanted to read this ever since they came out with this as a pre order for aurora rising and now I FINALLY had the change to read it and it was so worth it!

This is only 84 pages but it made me feel ALL the feels. It made me happy, it made me sad, it made me fall in love and by the end it had me BAWLING!

Best novella I have ever read, best book of this year for me.

So, so, so good!

I loved the ending, I loved the twists, I loved the writing, I loved the format.

But I absolutely LOVED to be ba
☆ sana ☆
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“it can be “right” to kill one person to save five.
or kill a thousand to save a thousand and one.
your daughter taught me that lesson, priest.
i will remember it well.
memento.”

there’s nothing i love more than villain origin stories even if the said villain is an AI. also, holy shit was it great to listen to an illuminae files audiobook again. i’ve said this before and i’ll say it again i wish there were more full cast audiobooks.
Vathna
Oct 12, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anticipating
Can't wait for this!
Angie Miles
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy this was finally released I now want to read illuminae again
Marky
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, finished-series
Memento closing credits: Audible hopes you have enjoyed this programme.
Me (sobbing on the floor): Absolutely!
5/5*
Patricia
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-audiobook
this shall be the book to complete my 2020 goodreads challenge!
And we're going out with a five star read! I WISH I could get my hands on a physical copy of this but it seems impossible. However, the audiobook was absolutely incredible and so much fun to follow along to. I'm still procrastinating reading Obsidio because I don't want this story to end but I think it's time I finally tackled that. If they did another novella, I'd be more than happy to come back to this world one more!
Lisa
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Now I want to read the entire series again!

• The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • Don't Hex and Drive (Stay a Spell #2)
  • A Damsel and a Demigod (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #0.5)
  • Wolf Gone Wild  (Stay a Spell #1)
  • TRUEL1F3 (Lifelike, #3)
  • Ghost Squad
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Iron to Iron (Wolf By Wolf, #1.5)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • The Boy Who Didn't Come Home (The Hazel Wood #1.5)
  • Estudios sobre el amor
  • The Art of Dying (Raven, Fisher, and Simpson, #2)
  • Light Years (Light Years, #1)
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • The Boyfriend Effect (Frisky Business, Book 1)
  • One Night With The Rebel
  • Héroes (Yuusha-Tachi)
  • HausMagick: Transform Your Home with Witchcraft
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author of young adult fiction. Her multi-award winning work is slated for publication in over 30 countries, and is in development for film and TV. Raised in Australia and occasionally Ireland, Amie has degrees in history, literature, law and conflict resolution. She lives in Melbourne with her husband, their rescue dog, and an extrem ...more

The Illuminae Files (3 books)
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
  • Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3)