Jump to ratings and reviews

Brothers in Arms #2

A Man With a Past

Falcon Hunt awakens without a past, or at least not one he can recall. He's got brothers he can't remember, and he's interested in the prettiest woman in the area, Cheyenne. Only trouble is, a few flashes of memory make Falcon wonder if he's already married. He can't imagine abandoning a wife. But his pa did just that--twice. When Falcon claims his inheritance in the West, Cheyenne is cut out of the ranch she was raised on, leaving her bitter and angry. And then Falcon kisses her, adding confusion and attraction to the mix.

Soon it's clear someone is gunning for the Hunt brothers. When one of his brothers is shot, Falcon and Cheyenne set out to find who attacked him. They encounter rustled cattle, traitorous cowhands, a missing woman, and outlaws that take all their savvy to overcome. As love grows between these two independent people, Falcon must piece together his past if they're to have any chance at a future.

304 pages, Paperback

First published July 6, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mary Connealy

103 books1,915 followers
Mary Connealy writes romantic comedy with cowboys always with a strong suspense thread. She is a two time Carol Award winner, and a Rita, Christy and Inspirational Reader's Choice finalist.
She is the bestselling author of 65 books and novellas.
Her most recent three book series are: Braced for Love, A Man with a Past and Love on the Range for Bethany House Publishing. She’s also written four other series for Barbour Publishing and many novellas and several stand-alone books for multiple publishers.
Mary will be a published author for ten years in 2017 with nearly a million books in print. She has a degree in broadcast communications with an emphasis in journalism and has worked at her local newspaper.

Find Mary online at:
Seekerville
Petticoats & Pistols
My Website

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
15 (2%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 112 reviews
Profile Image for Erin Laramore.
579 reviews46 followers
Read
August 1, 2021
4.5 stars for this historical romance western. As I'm not overly keen on Westerns in general, this is one I would generally not have picked up, but due to a mix-up at the publishers, I received this book instead of a book I was supposed to help launch (I did eventually get the correct book, but was told to just keep and enjoy this one as well), so I decided I ought to read it. This was my first book by Mary Connealy, but won't be my last. This was an enjoyable story about Falcon Hunt, who learned he had inherited part of a ranch in Wyoming after the death of the father he never knew and had assumed long dead. Having nothing to lose, he goes to check out this ranch and comes upon some misadventures along the way. Cheyenne Brewster is furious with the no-account "sidewinder" who swindled her ma out of her property and left her family's ranch to his 3 sons upon his death, cheating her out of her inheritance altogether. When those sons show up to make their claims, she clings to her fury and never expects to fall for one of them. This book had a great story-line, wonderful characters, a solid mystery (or 2 or 3), good humor and a sweet romance. Though the romance moved too fast, in my opinion, it was important to the story-line, so I don't hold too much against that. While this is book 2 in the series, it does stand alone. While there were times I thought I should maybe know more about Kevin (the hero of book 1 and one of the other brothers), I never actually felt lost or confused. And I do plan to go back and read book 1 as well (just put it on hold at the library) to help fill in any blanks. All in all, this was an enjoyable read and I would recommend to fans of historical romance, particularly western. Special thanks to Bethany House Publishers for an advance copy of this book (even if it was accidental). I was under no obligation to provide a review and the thoughts contained herein are my own.
Profile Image for Staci.
1,624 reviews503 followers
December 15, 2021
1870 Wyoming

Great cast of characters in this series. Three brothers that didn't know the others existed until their father passed away and left land to each of them.

Brother Falcon travels from Tennessee to learn more about his inheritance. Plenty of action as attacks begin against Falcon and his newfound family.

Loved the country language used throughout the novel. Look forward to the conclusion of the series.

My gratitude to publisher Bethany House for a complimentary copy of the novel. I was not required to post a review and all opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...).
1,450 reviews427 followers
August 14, 2021
Falcon was a bit of an enigma in the first book, so I was excited to read this book from his perspective. We learn some of his history before he loses his memory, which makes the reader aware of things that he has forgotten and is concerned about. I love his mountain man skills and confidence that comes naturally. The beginning of the book retells much of what happened in the first book, but from Cheyenne and Falcon's perspective, so it seems like events happen very quickly and the thought processes are choppy. Once the book ventures into new territory the pace becomes more steady and I was able to enjoy it more. There is plenty of action, adventure, and suspense as the new family bands together to fight against their enemies, who are finally revealed, along with other interesting characters. I'm excited for the concluding story with Wyatt and Molly coming next!

Disclosure statement: A complimentary copy of this book was provided from a tour group, publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley, OR was borrowed from the library, including OverDrive, OR borrowed from Kindle Unlimited, OR purchased. A review was not required and all views and opinions expressed are unbiased and my own.
Profile Image for Cara Putman.
Author 48 books1,608 followers
June 21, 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Take a man with amnesia. Add in a woman with wounds big enough to drown in. His amnesia touches one of her wounds. Then layer in family conflict, a man who treated them all poorly, and a cast of characters you want to assure everything will actually be okay, and you have a recipe for a book that is compelling. Falcon and Cheyenne find what they need in each other and with that comes the promise of a better future. A true HEA with many twists and turns along the path from page one to the end.
Profile Image for Paula Shreckhise.
1,053 reviews78 followers
July 9, 2021
*Family was an interesting business.*
Falcon Hunt is a man with a past. The trouble comes when he is injured and cannot remember that past. He needs to catch up with those memories before the bad guys catch up to him.
In book two of Brothers in Arms, the excitement is ramped up by dangerous men who want to take over the Hunt ranch and the women who live there. Sinister happenings try to undermine the search for the truth behind Clovis Hunt and the will he saddled his sons with. At first estranged, the brothers are getting to know each other. They band together to go after a common foe.
Ms. Connealy has gathered interesting characters to a ranch in Wyoming and has given them complex connections. The men are capable and stable, the woman strong and opinionated. They all have a solid faith.
My favorite character this time around is Cheyenne. She is hurt by her stepfather’s last will and testament but she stubbornly carries on. She is attracted to Falcon but he can’t remember if he’s married or not: “She wanted to ask him what had come to him. And she wanted to clobber him if he remembered a wife and six kids. Worse if he remembered three wives and six kids.”
Falcon didn’t relish this mismatch family: Well, you’re neck deep in family now, Falcon. You couldn’t be lonely if you wanted to be.”
This book showcases all things cowboy and the author’s famous wit. Very enjoyable. Can’t wait fir book three.
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House on behalf of the author. I was not required to give a favorable review. All opinions are my own.”
Profile Image for Beth | Faithfully Bookish .
838 reviews175 followers
November 1, 2021
I try not to pick favorites but mountain men like Falcon make it challenging!

The Brothers in Arms series takes the secret siblings concept to a Wyoming ranch bequeathed to three half-brothers under questionable circumstances. Additional siblings and family friends round out the eclectic makeshift family as adventure and mystery drive Kevin, Falcon, and Wyatt's stories.

Although the three books share portions of an overlapping timeline, each has a satisfying conclusion. Readers experience the benefit of multiple characters' reactions to pivotal events, refreshing their memory of previous stories without simply retelling.

Connealy's signature romantic comedy and forthright banter soften the edges of past and present trauma as the Hunt brothers gradually uncover and process the full scope of their father's nefarious behavior. I thoroughly enjoyed these stories and their themes of trust, faith, legacy, and family.

I received a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Abigail Harris.
Author 26 books176 followers
May 21, 2021
This one was a lot of fun however it wasn't my favorite as some of the book went over what happened in the first book though from different points of view which would have been fine but it was rushed as if the author was trying not to bore readers.

I voluntarily received and reviewed a complimentary e/copy of this book which I received from the author/publisher. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Emily.
402 reviews52 followers
October 2, 2021
Trademark Connealy cowboy action here! I really enjoyed the suspense and mystery in the second installment of this series, plus the story of Falcon and Cheyenne. I thought Falcon was one of Mary Connealy’s best heroes yet. And I am so ready to read about Molly and Wyatt in the next one!

Also, the library’s hardcovers of these are so rich and absolutely gorgeous.
Profile Image for Connie Saunders.
1,321 reviews90 followers
August 10, 2021
Oh, those Hunt brothers! So many questions needing to be answered, so many adventures waiting to happen, and so many emotions demanding to be explored. Author Mary Connealy has written another story with intrigue, adventure, and romance, and this time the focus is on Falcon Hunt, a man uncertain about his past. Amnesia has robbed him of his memories, and left him with so many unanswered questions. Is he a married man? Did he leave a wife, just like his pa did? Should he be feeling this way about Cheyenne Brewster?

A Man With a Past is an exciting western story filled with heroes, scoundrels, strong women, and lots of action and danger. It is also full of love, hope, faith, and laughter. Connealy's characters are flawed, lovable, and she knows exactly how to tug at your heartstrings one minute, and then leave you laughing the next. I'm always certain that her books will leave me content for the moment, but eagerly longing for the next one! I highly recommend this book to all who enjoy historical Christian romance.

I received a copy of this book from the author and publisher. These are my own thoughts.
Profile Image for Susan Snodgrass.
1,983 reviews181 followers
May 26, 2021
'His pa was as worthless as perfume in a chicken coop.'

Mary Connealy continues her Brothers in Arms series here and I was so excited to read Falcon's story when I met him in the last book! Cheyenne's too, because she is a pistol. (Pardon the pun.) So these folks all find out they have a brother by their no good pa's will. In two cases, they thought their pa was already dead, so apparently, he died twice.

I purely love anything Connealy writes. She is an auto buy for me. Her sense of humor is exquisite and her cowboy tales are the tops. These folks feel like family already and I'm invested in their lives. And that Cheyenne! Man, is she ever mean! She can do anything, well, except maybe cook real good, and she makes sure everyone is scared of her. Grown men want to get out of her way when she is riled up. But wait till you see what happens.

'She oughta tie him up an drag him behind her horse at a full gallop for a mile or two, over rocks and scrub pines. Then back her horse over him.' (See what I mean?)

Well done! I can't wait for the next story in the series, which will be Wyatt's story. I love these books so much.

My thanks to Bethany House Publishers for a copy of this book via Net Galley. I was not expected to leave a positive review. The opinions here are expressly my own.
347 reviews2 followers
May 17, 2021
This is the second in the series about the Hunt brothers (half-brothers) that inherited a ranch in Wyoming from their errant father. This story is about the oldest son, Falcon -- the ornery backwoodsman from Tennessee who is a man of few words and deadly in the woods. He meets up with the ornery Cheyenne, half sister to Wyatt Hunt, in the woods where she is off walking off her anger at the arrival of these usurpers on the property she shares with Wyatt. There's a lot of angst on the part of the females, and chest beating on the part of the menfolk along with a lot of interaction with the outlaws that are trying to steal the assets of the local ranchers. As always, Mary Connealy's latest book is rollicking good fun. Can't wait to read the third book in this saga!

I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Vera Godley.
1,684 reviews31 followers
July 23, 2021
A MAN WITH A PAST by Mary Connealy is #2 in the Brothers In Arms series. As usual the author writes an engaging story that combines the old west and lots of joviality that gives the reader an engaging, entertaining, and relaxing read. Good clean fiction. Loved it!

I think it best to read book #1 in the series first although not necessary. It isn't really necessary because the author gives plenty of background about the characters and their interaction with each other setting the stage for the man who is "the man with a past."

The intrigue of cattle rustling, sniper shootings, and downright mystery is mixed and stirred with an ample amount of funny comments and scenes.

I can always count on Mary Connealy to give me something to laugh about, a good dose of faith, and a well developed set of characters and story line.

I received a complimentary copy to facilitate a review. Opinions are mine, alone and are freely given.
Profile Image for Courtney | Soul of a Librarian.
218 reviews20 followers
July 22, 2021
I’m so invested in this series! There’s certainly no lack of adventure in the lives of these characters.

The second of the series, A Man with a Past backtracks into some of the first book’s territory which I found a little disorienting at first. I wanted to hit the ground running and get straight to my friends again. But I suppose the additional information was important to lay the framework for Falcon’s character, especially since readers knew so little about him from the first novel.

I’m all for a tough-as-nails heroine, but Cheyenne was even tougher than that. And bless her heart, she had reason to be, but I truly enjoyed the scenes when her character was able to soften a bit.

I'm SO excited for the next in the series and can't wait to read Wyatt's story.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. All expressed opinions belong to me.
Profile Image for Amy Tyner.
105 reviews1 follower
September 10, 2021
I absolutely love this book! It’s filled with even more action and mystery than the first book Braced for Love. In A Man with A Past we learned what really happened with Falcon Hunt. Falcon has hit his head and has a huge lump on it, which is why he has no clues as to who he really is. Now the family is at a loss of how to get his life back. Enters Cheyenne Brewster who is still madder than a hornet for losing her portion of the ranch due to her step-father, Clovis Hunt. Apparently Falcon is the spitting image of his dad,Clovis, which makes Cheyenne detest Falcon. Cheyenne anger had her leaving her home to travel around the area, three days into her hike she stumbles on a set of foot prints and since she a great tracker she set out to find the mysterious person.
After finding Falcon his and Cheyenne adventure really being. They are shot at, the set out too find whose trying to kill them and the family. Along the way they discovered that they have a lot in common, Cheyenne finds the patient to help Falcon regain his memory can they overcome their differences, and survive the people trying to kill them? You have to read this book and see!
Profile Image for Anne Rightler.
1,659 reviews12 followers
September 5, 2021
A Man With a Past by Mary Connealy is the second book in her Brothers in Arms series. It can still easily be read as a stand-alone book. I didn't realize that it was part of a series until after I'd read the book. I was able to follow the story well as the author fills in enough of the backstory that the reader does not get lost or have a lot of unanswered questions. Connealy has a nice style of writing and kept my interest throughout the entire book. I was hooked from the beginning as the action starts right up and continues through the story, always keeping the reader wondering how in the world will things work out now. The characters are realistic, vibrant, and relatable. Cheyenne is outspoken, feisty, and bitter about being swindled out of her mother's property. Falcon is a long-legged galoot with tireless strength who ends up with amnesia. Lots of action scenes and unexpected twists to the plot kept the pages turning quickly. A Man With a Past is a captivating tale of family and faith, courage and love. I plan to read the first book in the series, Braced for Love, and I look forward to reading more books from this author. Lovers of Western romance will not want to miss this series.
I read a complimentary copy of the book and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own.
134 reviews2 followers
June 6, 2021
The second in Mary Connealy’s Brothers In Arms series, A Man With a Past, continues the story of the Hunt brothers. Falcon Hunt has woken up without his past. He does not remember his brothers, though he is interested in the prettiest woman he has ever seen, Cheyenne. But the flashes of memories that do return make him uncertain about the life he left behind, did he leave behind a wife? He can’t see himself doing such a thing, but didn’t his own father do the same, twice? Cheyenne is still bitter and angry over being cut off from the ranch she was raised on, but her attraction to Falcon is adding confusion to an already tumultuous world. However, there is still danger for the Hunt brothers. After one of them is shot, Falcon and Cheyenne set out to find answers. As they find danger, the two independent people also start falling in love. Will Falcon be able to put together his past in order to create a future?
I was really excited for this book! I love how Ms. Connealy writes such interconnected stories and so often about families! After reading Braced for Love, I was already getting to know and become invested in all the characters. I think that it is incredibly cool the way that these books build up the character development across the different stories. Falcon was so cool! He was struggling to remember his past, but trying hard to be an honorable man. Even though he could not recall who he was or what he had done, he was determined to be the best he could with what he currently had. He wanted to do right by his new-found family. Even though he was intrigued by Cheyenne, he was determined to discover his own past before considering a future with her. Cheyenne was amazing! She could do so many things on the ranch, I was astonished just reading about it. But she was still struggling with her anger and bitterness, she had to figure out her place again with all the changes on the ranch.
Falcon and Cheyenne really worked well together. They could support each other in tracking, in riding, and so many other ways. It was really shown as they tried to figure out who was attacking the family, They were able to help each other. I thought that it was lovely to watch and so exciting! As secrets were revealed, the family had to lean on one another and on God’s protection. This was an exciting clean western romance that I would definitely recommend to those who enjoy these genres! I would suggest reading the first book, because, as I said earlier, they are very connected.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher through Netgalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion, a positive review was not required.
394 reviews12 followers
March 11, 2022
After an enjoyable, if not exceptional, start to the series, I was a bit disappointed with Connealy's second entry for the Brothers in Arms trilogy. A Man with a Past focuses on Falcon, and roughly the first half of the story is the same content as the second half of the first book – the only difference being that it is told from Falcon and Cheyenne's perspectives rather than Kevin and Win's. I skimmed through that first part and things improved a bit, but the plot began to spool out unevenly and without generating much interest. It seems like Connealy can't decide if it is a romance or a mystery – the focus shifts from relational conflicts to intrigue haphazardly. Characters seem inconsistent or, perhaps, too consistent – it's hard to tell the unique characteristics of each individual, their personalities seem to be extremely similar. Cheyenne, portrayed as a tough Wyoming woman, comes across more like a spoiled brat whose temper is completely out of control rather than a woman who has gained wisdom and endurance from the land, hard work, and family. Her inappropriately volatile reactions had me irritated throughout the book and left me with no respect for her. A woman can be both feminine and resilient, horse-smart and kind (in fact, kindness to animals often translates to kindness to people). In an attempt, it seems, to avoid portrayal of a stereotyped soft, fearful 19th century woman, Connealy instead creates a woman filled with anger, bitterness, and violence. This characterization disappointed me deeply, and I feel that it misrepresents the incredible women who faced impossible odds in the West to become good (and hard-working and capable) wives, mothers, and friends. Still, it is a light read with descriptions of lush Wyoming landscapes filling the pages.
1,289 reviews27 followers
July 27, 2021
Quirky, dramatic, fun and romantic

My rating is 4.5 stars

Mary Connealy has a gift for drawing readers into her stories quickly with surprising circumstances and a compelling writing style. Some of the situations in her stories are far-fetched, and yet she makes them work...

Falcon is fascinating! I could almost hear his drawl as he narrated his portions of the story. His role in Braced for Love was small, yet I could tell from that taste that I was going to like him. And I did!

Cheyenne was fun, too. She was so independent and strong - which is what attracted Falcon to her. And yet, she had a gentle, tender side - as evidenced by the way she responded to the puppies.

I have mixed feelings about the way Falcon's story started before he got amnesia and therefore we knew his past even though he didn't. Some speculation and tension were thus removed that might have existed if the details of his life had been revealed as slowly to us as they were to him.

Quirky, dramatic, fun, and romantic, this Western adventure had me turning pages (figuratively) as fast as I could to see what was going to happen next! The ending was satisfactory and yet hinted at more to come when the third Hunt brother gets to have his story told. The Brothers in Arms series is designed to be read as a set, so don't just jump into A Man with a Past without first reading Braced for Love. With Love on the Range releasing in just a few months (October 2021), you won't have long to wait for the conclusion.

Lovers of historical romance will want to be sure to read this series.

Originally Reviewed on Among The Reads

I was given a copy of this book. I was not required to give a favorable review nor was any money received for this review. All comments and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Faye.
1,654 reviews
June 30, 2021
Falcon's story continues in the second installment of The Brothers in Arms Series. After getting shot Falcon awakens with no memories of his former life or the current situation, as he and his brothers fight to protect their inheritance from the father they barely knew. As the memories flicker back, it makes him question what kind of man he was and what it means for his future.

I was thrilled to get the opportunity to read this book, after devouring the first book in the series about Kevin and Win. Fraught with danger, rollicking adventure, and a fantastic cast of characters. I would definitely recommend reading the series in order to make more sense of the backstory, and the more than a little confusing family relations.

Falcon is a resourceful man, who has lived off the land, he's okay with being a loner, I admired his faith and how he holds himself to a high standard. Cheyenne has spent her life working the land that she loves only to be cut out of the will, and is upset to have her birthright stolen from her. She begrudgingly admires Falcon's skills in the wilderness, and how he doesn't back down from a fight, letting him befriend her as she begins to see what a kind and noble man he is.

An action packed read with Connealy's signature humor, a fast paced plot filled with mystery, danger, outlaws and dialogue crackling with chemistry and humor. I loved that the timeline of this story overlaps with that of the previous story, and continues to follow Kevin and Win. I can't wait to read Wyatt's story and find out what is really going on behind all the mysterious attacks.

1,029 reviews8 followers
July 16, 2021
I have known for a number of years that when I pick up a book by Mary Connealy I can expect a few hours of solid entertainment. Her tales usually involve cowboys along with a hearty dose of adventure, often a touch of mystery, a liberal sprinkle of humor, and of course romance. A Man With a Past lived up to my expectations and more.

Although the author’s recent novels have not contained the degree of comedy found in earlier books, her unique sense of humor still makes itself apparent. Falcon Hunt’s loss of memory as well as his interaction with Cheyenne offers ample opportunity for more than a chuckle or two. I personally am enjoying Connealy’s venture into a bit more serious and suspenseful stories of late and find myself not wanting to put the book down until I reach the end.

The second installment of the Brothers In Arms series, A Man With a Past does overlap the first book, Braced For Love but it is told from a different point of view. This is also helpful to readers who have not read book one or to refresh the memories of those who have.

A bit slow getting started, probably due to the recap, but it does not take very long for intense action and suspense to ensue. It was fun watching the development of the relationship between Falcon and Cheyenne and I also enjoyed a few guesses about potential romance between other characters in the future.

I always enthusiastically recommend any of Mary Connealy’s books and A Man With a Past is no exception. Don’t wait. Pick up a copy for yourself asap.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by the author and Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group. A favorable review was not required. All views expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Jaquelyn Scroggie.
369 reviews5 followers
July 21, 2021
I can’t begin to tell you how much I wanted to get my hands on this book. Connealy always delights, and I couldn’t wait to see what this story would hold. A Man with a Past did not disappoint. This book had me hooked. I didn’t want to put it down, and loved every minute I spent out west with Falcon and his family. I met Falcon and his new to him family in the first book in this series, Braced for Love. I easily fell in love with the crazy bunch of them. This book starts as Falcon heads west to claim the land he inherited, but little does he know he’s not the only son that his low down father had. Falcon meets Kevin and Wyatt and each of their half siblings, and knows nothing is going to be as easy as he hoped. Not only do they all hate the situation they are in, but someone seems to be hunting them. The Hunt brothers won’t go down easily, and just maybe they’ll get to know each other as they fight for what is rightfully theirs.

Falcon is such a unique character. I loved getting to know him more as I followed his journey back to himself and to Cheyenne. Talk about unique, Cheyenne puts a whole other spin on being a hard working woman. From roping and branding to hunting she knows how to take care of herself and has no need for a man. Little does she know, the right one just hadn’t come along yet. I loved watching the two of them get to know each other, and can’t wait to see what the next book in this series holds! I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishing and was in no way forced to post a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Jasmine.
1,124 reviews25 followers
July 26, 2021
His inheritance just put him in real danger...

The bullets are flying just as fast and furious in Mary Connealy's second Brothers In Arms novel as the first! I wasn't sure if she could up the ante in A Man With A Past but, lo and behold, Mary Connealy did just that!

I'm gonna be honest, I did not like Cheyenne at all in the first book. She was too temperamental, self absorbed, and unstable. I was a little wary when I started A Man With Past because I never like starting a book predisposed to dislike the heroine, but good grief, by the end Cheyenne had changed my mind...mostly...I still think she's a bit unhinged but that's OK now. When it comes to Falcon, well, he reminded me a bit of a Louis L'Amour character. Strong, half wild, capable, and to quote a Louis L'Amour story, he'd 'druther fight than eat'.

One of the things I found fascinating about A Man With A Past was Mary Connealy's choice to not pick up the story where the first Brothers In Arms book left off but rather to go back and tell the story from Falcon and Cheyenne's point of view before moving forward. I also liked how this book, as with its predecessor, solved a smaller mystery that was tied into the overarching plot against the Hunts and their assorted kin. There was enough resolution that this book felt like a completed story but left enough unanswered questions to make sure I will be back for the final Brothers In Arms title. And, believe me, I will definitely be returning to the RHR to find out if any of my hunches are right...

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
June 5, 2021
Exciting book from Mary Connealy! This book starts in the middle of the first book in this series, Braced For Love, from the viewpoints of Falcon and Cheyenne. I had wondered what all happened to Falcon and where Cheyenne had gone in Braced For Love. It all comes together in Man with a Past.

Falcon comes from Tennessee to Wyoming to inherit a ranch from his long-thought dead father. He had 2 brothers that he didn't know about. Each member of the "new" family suffers from unknown attackers. Falcon suffers from memory loss after one heinous attack, not knowing what or who he may have left behind. Mystery mounts as to the identity of the outlaws.

Cheyenne is angry when she finds out that her no good stepfather leaves her ranch to sons none of them knew. She takes off to spend time alone and get her temper under control. (I can relate!)

Falcon and Cheyenne are both amazing in the wild and at tracking. They use all their skills to track down outlaws that are determined to kill whomever gets in their way.

Mary Connealy wrote another amazing, action-packed book. Reminders to keep our focus on God and that we can trust Him always are woven throughout the story. I highly recommend this fabulous book. I couldn't put it down!
Profile Image for LA.
338 reviews15 followers
July 14, 2021
Once again Mary Connealy brings readers a wild-west adventure full of intrigue, smoking gun fights, woods tracking story that leaves readers wondering if anyone is really trustworthy.

This is book two in the series, but reads well as a standalone. I haven’t read the first book yet, and found enough backstory to catch me up with the current situation. I didn’t feel lost without knowing exactly what happened prior to the start of A Man with a Past.

I love the premise of this story – a man who dies leaving behind an inheritance to three children who didn’t know the other existed! The idea was inspired by a true story, so it just makes this series that much more interesting to read.

The characters are loveable and just make this story so much fun to read.

Three half-brothers show up to claim their inheritance from a woman who decides they are trying to steal from her. They work together to figure out what really is going on, and who the land really belongs to.
Romance. Check.
Gun fights. Check.
Humorous situations. Check.
A man who can’t remember who he is or where he’s from or why he’s here. Check.

If you want a fun, old west kind of story, you’ll love A Man with a Past by Mary Connealy.
Profile Image for Linda Walters.
2,522 reviews14 followers
June 8, 2021
This was a good story with in-depth interesting main characters. I got a big kick out of the way that Cheyenne's grumpiness didn't phase Falcon one bit. In fact he liked her spunk both before and after he lost his memory. Falcon's arrival at the ranch was an eye-opener for him. He wasn't a stupid man but he had lived an isolated life. Even though he couldn't remember his past, his hands had a "memory" of sorts when it came to living on the land. That was enjoyable to read too.

There is a good cast of supporting people in the story along with a lot of action. There definitely were people after the Hunt brothers or whoever else got in their way. That unfolds in a good way without giving anything up too soon.
Everything gets resolved at the end with a H.E.A. for the main characters. Well, I did feel like one thing hadn't been explained... Why were two different women afraid of Oliver Hawkins? One of them being his daughter, Winona (Win). But just maybe because this is a series, that will be addressed in a different book.

"I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
Profile Image for Brandi.
891 reviews10 followers
July 9, 2021
Book two in the Brothers in Arms series picks up right where book one left off. It does a great job of including enough details to refresh your memory if it’s been a while or if you have not read book one yet. All of the characters are strong in their own way, but Falcon and Cheyenne strike me as the strongest personalities in the group and it was so fun to see them come together. Falcon can’t remember who he is or where he’s from, but he is still strong, capable and an excellent frontier man. Cheyenne is impressed by his skills and abilities, and that is saying a lot. She’s so angry about how all the land divisions have worked out, it’s a wonder she can see anything positive at all, but she does, and it all comes down to Falcon. I love the humor and sassiness in Mary Connealy books and this book was no exception. I think I had more laugh out loud moments with this book than I did the previous one. The third installment is set up perfectly as the next story finds it roots in the plot of these brother’s coming together to defend their land and loved ones. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
735 reviews1 follower
July 14, 2021
I can always count on Mary Connealy to create colorful, relatable, and endearing characters, plunk them down in interesting settings, embroil them in crazy situations, and then proceed to carefully and humorously get them out again. Her Brothers in Arms series is a wild ride, and the newest book, A Man with a Past, had me chuckling, giggling, and laughing out loud. Falcon Hunt definitely has a past, but can’t remember it. Cheyenne is courageous, determined, and downright dangerous when she’s crossed. She’s also mad as a hornet that Falcon and his half-brothers have inherited a ranch that should be hers. Throw these two together and fireworks happen!

“I like the idea of having a family, but I’d’ve preferred a less troublesome one. One where I get shot and drowned less often.”

With lots of suspense, intrigue, action, and a dash of romance, there’s plenty to love about this book and this family. Mary Connealy is one of my favorite authors. I adore her sense of humor and fun. I’m looking forward to the next book in this series. 4.5 stars

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy from Bethany House Publishers and NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Lori.
1,652 reviews69 followers
August 1, 2021
For a time I didn't even have a past that I could remember. But now, I'm a man with a past and a future with you. More important, I've got right now. I believe myself the luckiest most blessed man alive to be mixed up in the Hunt clan.
This book was so very good that I couldn't put it down and I just had to share my favorite quote from the book
I love the how the author has gone into the more serious side of her novels.
Yes, the humor is still there but not as much I might add but there's quite a bit of mystery and family drama going on that makes the book a fun read and hard to out down.
I actually liked Cheyenne. She was a go getter and knew how to get things done. Such a strong and devout woman!
I especially enjoyed Falcon. He was truly amazing through all that he had to endure!
Fantastic story! I look forward to the next one!
I'm a forever fan!
My thanks to Bethany House publishers for a copy of this book. I was NOT required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
784 reviews
July 12, 2021
Falcon Hunt is a man with a past he can't remember with brothers and their siblings he is just getting to know. The first book in the series, Braced For Love, introduced the Hunt brothers: Falcon, Kevin and his half-siblings Molly and Andy, and Wyatt and his half-sister Cheyenne, plus her good friend Winona. Someone has been trying to kill them. The hunt to find who and why continues in A Man With a Past. There is some overlap between the books, enough that someone who didn't read book #1 wouldn't be lost, but not so much that a reader of both books would mind. There is a lot of character development for Cheyenne as she has to come to grips with her anger and work with the brothers to solve the mystery. There are more discoveries left to be found in book 3. Falcon battles his headaches and memory loss. This was a fun book to read and I'm looking forward to reading the third book. I received a complementary copy of the book. All thoughts are my own.
Profile Image for Melissa.
1,974 reviews
October 22, 2021
What a fun read! This set of Mary’s is definitely one of my favorites of hers. I really enjoyed Falcon as a character and Cheyenne was a great match for him. The mystery is super good and kept me guessing. I am really looking forward to book three to see how it all ends up. It can’t come soon enough for me!

I received this book from the publisher and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own. I did purchase my own Audible copy. The narration is excellent.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 112 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.