Start by marking “On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor” as Want to Read:

1885.
Published June 1st 2021 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor

Start your review of On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor
Jocelyn Green
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Set on the turbulent shores of Lake Superior, this novel has the perfect creepy setting, secrets galore, a Civil War legacy, and enough spookiness to satisfy without being unbelievable. Another masterful tineslip from Jaime Jo Wright, with all the unique characters, skillful writing, and depth we've come to expect from her.

If you're new to this author and balk at the mention of ghosts in a Christian fiction novel, please hang in there. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but by the end of th
Kailey
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I always think that I know what I’m getting myself into when I pick up a Jaime Jo Wright book, but this book still got to me. I have learned not to read it after dark! I loved this book so much that I read most of it in one sitting! I was also pleased that one of the characters had a name like mine! I highly recommend this book!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Wade
“There’s a treasure here—at Foxglove Manor—and it’s been around for a long time.”

“We must build our weak lives on a foundation that does not shift. Like the rock on which we stand. On love. Love that is eternal.”

Does Jaime Jo Wright ever write a bad book? In my experience, the answer is a definitive NO. What I love best about this author and her books is that while she always does the dual timelines, each b
Susan Snodgrass
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
'Ain't nothing lives long here at Foxglove Manor.'

Jaime Jo Wright once again employs her trademark time slip to to plunge her readers into a gothic tale that will grip your attention from the very first paragraph and doesn't let go until the last page is turned.

1885. Alexandria Fontaine is sent to Foxglove Manor by her hateful father to find his gold. Foxglove Manor is set on a cliff overlooking Lake Superior. Adria feels only desperate evil here, a house chock full of secrets. And strangers. S
MJSH
"You imbibe in cowardice. You imbibe in self-disdain. You imbibe by doing the will of others instead of your own. Tell me, which is worse? To be influenced by liquid gold or to always know what's right and instead ignore it? We all have a choice to do the right thing. But most of us lack the gumption to make it."

In this deliciously gothic dual timeline mystery and suspense, Jaime Jo Wright once again brings us to a world of secrets where whispered hints of buried treasure haunts a manor in Upper
Paula Shreckhise
I am so glad I discovered books by Jaime Jo Wright. I have read all of them. She is an automatic read for me.
“How did one not fear evil? It was so real, so active, that not fearing it seemed foolish.”
Ms. Wright evokes foreboding from the first page. I frequently found myself stopping and saying * Oh No!* out loud. Her writing style is*creepy good*. She spins a spooky, intricate, dual-time novel that never disappoints. This one deals with a remote, cliffside mansion on the shores of Lake Superi
Kav
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Whoa -- this might just be Jaime Jo Wright's best novel yet! Full of classic Gothic elements in both timelines that put both heroines in peril, On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor is a a shivery atmospheric delight.

First off -- the manor! Cue the creepy background music and be prepared to be chilled by its ominous presence. A fortress of secrets. Harbinger of death. And then there are the two heroines, a century apart, but both determined to solve it's mystery...or die trying. And did I mention the
Susan
On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor is a must read for readers who love gothic suspense. It is filled with legends of hidden treasures and ghosts. Two women, separated by time, are drawn to Foxgrove Manor and the secrets that are hidden within its walls. I absolutely love a well-written dual timeline and Ms. Wright is a master at pacing and building suspense, keeping her readers invested in both stories until the last page is read. The mysterious setting of Foxglove Manor almost appears as a charact ...more
Lori
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love a Jaime Jo Wright book anytime and anyplace.
Her style of writing truly amazes me because she can deliver an awesome story no matter what. How she can write a duo timeline definitely amazes me and without missing a beat.
Somehow she can make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck as well without it being too creepy of course.
I think that my most favorite favorite thing was the setting of course! With Lake Superior involved what's not to love! It's a gorgeous lake and my favorite of th
Rebecca
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"The cliff beckoned to her. Its flat outcropping like a ledge where one might determine which evil was worse. To live or to die? Perhaps they were of equal evil, only one was guaranteed to plague, where the other was deceptively final. There was a peace in finality . . . . . . . . oh, that she was worth fighting for . . . . . . "

Driven to despair after realizing that her father had only released her from one prison into the cells of another, Alexandria Fontaine had been given an ultimat
Stacy
Prepare to be thrilled!

Jaime Jo Wright's novel has every bit of a literary punch as general market horror/thriller authors with delightful tendrils of faith wrapped around the engrossing split-time story.

Age-old mystery, dynamic characters, and an eerie setting worthy of a hide-your-eyes creepy movie are contained in this novel.

There was a delightful push-pull in the last forty pages, because I wanted to see what would happen, but wanted to prolong the absolutely fantastic suspense.

What happen
Chris Jager
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Buried treasure and pirates of the great lakes. What more does a book need, how about a ghost and confederate gold. A fun ghost story that makes for a great read.
Abby Breuklander
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Love love and love this story!! Life can be so hard at times, but what a beautiful reminder that all life is precious. Even on the days when the darkness overtakes us and we just want to throw in the towel. God has a specific plan and purpose for each and every one of us. He'll carry us through and will help us to see that even though things may not make any sense right now, He's always in control. ...more
Amanda
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another Jaime Jo Wright book that I could not put down! Hidden treasure, family secrets, mysterious deaths, and eerie legends mix into a story that never slows down. Fans of split time or suspense can’t miss this book.
Ian
No one writes time slip better than Jaime-Jo Wright. And her stories just keep getting better. This one is simply captivating in the majestic way Wright weaves the tales of two young ladies, living 130 years apart, but drawn together by one forbidding gothic old house, Foxglove Manor, that sits atop the cliffs overlooking Lake Superior with the Canadian coast line across its powerful waters.

This is a tale of hope and love, that one's past doesn't need to determine one's future especially where G
A.M. Heath
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Confederate Gold. 100 Year Old Treasure Hunt. And a Ghost.

What I Loved:
Oh my stars! I absolutely loved this one! Typically, I prefer lighter reads that don’t require a nightlight … or therapy afterwards. Lol But I have been a fan of Wright since she took me up Foster Hill and scared the snot out of me.
But why in the world would someone who doesn’t care for suspense enjoy these books so much?
It’s the mystery. The keep you on the edge of your seat storyline that bounces between two timelines.
Katie Lindsey
On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor

Book Blurb: 1885. Adria Fontaine has been sent to recover goods her father pirated on the Great Lakes during the war. But when she arrives at Foxglove Manor--a stone house on a cliff overlooking Lake Superior--Adria senses wickedness hovering over the property. The mistress of Foxglove is an eccentric and seemingly cruel old woman who has filled her house with dangerous secrets, ones that may cost Adria her life.

Present day. Kailey Gibson is a new nurse's
Erin Laramore
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Jaime Jo Wright does it again! Another fabulous dual timeline with her signature creepiness, a fabulous mystery that connects both timelines and great character development in both timelines, plus a touch of romance. While this was the first time I've ever had issues keeping timelines straight, I think that was more due to the fact that I had to read this one in snippets, and I often forgot which timeline I was in. Once I had a solid day of being able to read and get thoroughly engrossed in the ...more
Stacey Ulferts
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow. This book. It is excellent from the first page to the last. The mystery is creepy and gripping and doesn't let up until the end. I was sucked into the story right away and anxious to see how things turned out. And the attraction between the main characters of both timelines is subtle but so electric. I think this is the most romantic non-romance I've ever read. It's so good.

I received an advanced copy from the publisher and all opinions are my own.
Danielle Smith
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read by Jaime Jo Wright. Each time I read one of her books I try to figure out the mystery and every time she stumps me and pulls out all the stops at the end. I loved the almost gothic feel to this one. It’s also deals with very flawed characters, one of many things I loved. But overall it leaves you with a sense of hope and healing for two very wounded heroines.
Kirby
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've long adored timeslip novels, and Jaime Jo Wright is truly a master at crafting these type of stories. Every time I pick up one of her well thought out masterpieces, I know to expect great things, and that I'll be suspecting every character, and trying to figure out how every plot twist and turn is going to connect to the bigger picture by the grand finale.

On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor tackles a subject that's new to this author, The Civil War, and I loved how she ties actual history into
Sara Wise
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
** “Stick to the Creator. ‘The world is broken,’ she’d say. ‘God can fix it. So, stick to Him and stop trying to do it yourself.’ ” **

** “We complicate our purpose in life too much. We try to define it, then build on it, until our ideals become man-made instead of God-directed.” **

Jaime Jo Wright delivers another incredible time-slip novel with “On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor,” a story that takes the reader from post-Civil War times to present day.

Adria Fontaine is sent to Foxglove Manor in 188
Joanne | wellreadcoffeeaddict
Spooky. Mysterious. Gothic. Creepy. Haunting.

I say this all the time when describing the latest Jaime Jo Wright book I've devoured. It still always applies. Jaime is the queen of spooky subtle gothic time-slip. I was supposed to read this together as a buddy read, however, I did not stick to the spread-out-the-book-in-four-days plan.

I have to say, the plot was THE most convoluted twist of threads I've read in ages that miraculously came together in the end. Somehow. I don't know how she does it
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I collect Jaime Jo Wright books. Why? Because I just love her stories. Yes they have a little creep factor to them, but that really is a small portion of the entire novel. Her characters are fun, flawed, and interesting. Her settings are always unique in both present day and historical time, and yet at the same time they are the same. The two storylines are intriguing, but what's most mind blowing is how she brings them together in the end, and it's never in a way you would expect. So yeah, I co ...more
Ashley
On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor was another winner from Jaime Jo Wright. It's right up there with Echoes Among the Stones as my favorite of hers.

I was immediately pulled into this gothic tale and held captive till the very last word. It's so creepy good with just the right amount of chills. There were definitely some goosebump-inducing moments that had me happy I wasn't reading it in the dark. But there was also a strong faith element which I really loved.

The mystery spanning both timelines was
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Romance in a creepy dark gothic suspense story you ask? Why yes there is, it's there in the background but it's there. "Sometimes being there was the most romantic thing a guy could do." "And it comes with many secrets. Secrets men will kill for." He pressed his lips to her forehead, then spoke against it moving along her skin. "I would not let that happen to my family. I will not let that happen to you." “You realize that sounds like National Treasure collided with The Sixth Sense, don’t you?”

A
Tabitha Bouldin
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a thrilling tale. I recommend you read it in the daylight. My kids scared me to death... twice! Just by walking through the house. I was so wrapped up on the book, I felt like I was there with Adria and Kailey.
A beautifully written tale of learning to find the value of self and overcoming the obstacles of life with a bit of love thrown into the mystery.
Overwhelmingly ingrossing plot that helped guide the story but never felt rushed or out of place. The characters rang with sincerity an
Meagan
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
"You realize that sounds like National Treasure collided with The Sixth Sense, don’t you?" (eARC loc. 2885)

Anyone who has spent about 5 minutes with me (:D) knows that National Treasure is in my top 5 movies of all time, up there with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. So I about died, in the best way, when I read this line in On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor. Referencing a beloved movie, as well as perfectly capturing/describing Foxglove Manor via movie tie-ins? Win!

Wright is at it again with an int
Josie Siler
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Each book I read by this author becomes a new favorite. Her books are all so different from anything else I’ve read, yet she does it time and time again. The themes that connects them all? Super creepy, address real and hard issues, and have an element of faith in God. But the stories themselves couldn’t be more unique. On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor is powerful and deliciously creepy. I can’t wait to see what Wright comes up with next!
B.G. O’Brien
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I should begin by saying that the story was very intriguing and it definitely kept me wanting to read on to the next chapter. Both main character's are relatable and their character development through the story is done very well.

Jaime Jo Wright's style of writing is so pleasurable to read and her descriptions of settings and scenarios are so detailed and all around splendid.

That being said, in regards to the romance, the descriptions were at times a little too much and a bit cringy to read. Wi
« previous 1 3 next »
Daphne du Maurier and Christy Award-Winning author, Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing suspenseful, mysteries stained with history's secrets. Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures at jaimewrightbooks.com! ...more

News & Interviews

“Ain't nothing lives long here at Foxglove Manor.” 0 likes
“Our gold is like the power of the lake, an undeniable force, which, long after we're gone, will continue to breathe across our children. We must make our choices wisely. We must build our weak lives on a foundation that does not shift, Like the rock on which we stand. On love, Love that is eternal.” 0 likes