Start by marking “Maylie and the Maze (Tales of a Travel Girl #1)” as Want to Read:
Maylie and the Maze (Tales of a Travel Girl #1)

Maylie and the Maze

(Tales of a Travel Girl #1)

Will Maylie’s dream be crushed by her own imagination?

Ten-year-old Maylie Montes’s dream is to become an author, but she has a problem. She can’t finish a story. Not a single one.

Her second problem is Camden, her annoying twin brother, who is determined to ruin their summer traveling through Europe with their famous photographer aunt and spunky grandma.

The first stop is En
Published October 14th 2020 by Ink Map Press

To ask other readers questions about Maylie and the Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maylie and the Maze

Start your review of Maylie and the Maze (Tales of a Travel Girl #1)
Sameeksha
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Loved it!!!. Happy to have come across this book.

Maylie Montes thumped her pen against the notebook and wished for the right words to zap her brain. Thwack. Thwack. Thwack.

Summary
We are following Maylie, a ten year old girl who wants to write stories. She has all of these beautiful ideas and has read many authors, so why isn't she able to write?
She has not been able to complete a single story yet, but worry not, Maylie is about to go on her very first trip to England and she is determined t
Kash
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arc provided by the author

It was a nice story, I really liked it. Maylie wants to become an author but she is unable to write a book. She goes to Europe and...well read the book to find out.

The most important thing, it was soooo relatable. Firstly, even I can't start to write a novel but it motivated me to. Secondly, I know how irritating a brother can be.
Kadi P
This book was featured in the Middle Grade Madness Writer’s Showcase!
*Thank you to the author who provided me with a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review*

Actual rating: 3.5 stars
This was a true contemporary read. And much like my view on all contemporary books this was too slow for my liking; the inciting incident comes halfway through the book. Whilst there was an abundance of enthusiasm, what I really felt was a lack of plot, the story sort of vaguely meandered to its end goa
J.P. Goorjian
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yay for a fun travel adventure!

Super cute story with awesome illustrations.
While journeying with Maylie I got to visit some amazing places in England and learn about the culture there. And I got to have a super fun and thrilling adventure in the maze!
As an author I could relate to some of the challenges Maylie felt as she was first learning to put her pen to paper and trust in her creativity.
M.L. Tarpley is a solid story teller and I wish her great success as she travels us readers on adventures
Jessika Caruso
Maylie and the Maze is a charming story that will appeal to middle to upper elementary school students. Readers are introduced to Maylie, a ten-year-old aspiring writer preparing a summer-long adventure across Europe with her photographer aunt and devoted grandmother. Maylie is presented as having struggles that readers can relate to, such as sibling rivalry, leaving her best friend, Sarah, for the summer, and seeing another girl talking to her crush. I wanted to see more of these briefly-mentio ...more
This is a very relatable story of a girl who wants to be a writer, but no matter how hard she tries she can’t write like her favorite authors.

She has an annoying twin brother.

And she has an aunt and grandmother who are asking her and her brother on a trip aboard. Apparently we are going to follow Maylie as she travels to different countries in Europe.

And while I have traveled a bit abroad, I have not been to all the countries of Europe so I look forward to where she will be turning up next.

In t
Belles Middle Grade Library
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute, fun read! I really enjoyed it! I loved going on this trip w/Maylie, & seeing things as she saw them. How English in London can be so different from the English she speaks at home in America-like fries are called chips for example lol I enjoyed seeing the very realistic relationship she had with her brother too. Reminded me of life w/my brother. He was older, but it’s all the same lol fighting! I really enjoyed seeing her come more & more out of her shell & do amazing things ...more
Jill Nadler
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maylie and the Maze is a delightful adventure about the power of travel to expand our view of the world and ourselves. Plus, it has an ancient castle, a mysterious maze, a story within a story, and...scones. What's not to love?
Erin Masters
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to be able to a beta read this children’s novel. Maylie and the Maze has all the components you would want in a children's novel. Relatable characters, adventure, friendships, and a touch of geography embedded throughout. This book was well written with each chapter flowing to the next with ease, making it such a fun read. As an educator, I feel this would be a great read-aloud in my classroom!
* Teachers you need this in your library!*
M.L. Tarpley

Some information on "Maylie and the Maze":

* This book is available HERE! >> https://www.amazon.com/Maylie-Maze-Ta...

* Add BOOK TWO to your shelf >> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...
* BOOK TWO is available NOW! >> https://www.amazon.com/Maylies-Luck-I...

* Add BOOK THREE to your shelf >> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...
* BOOK THREE is available NOW! >> https://www.amazon.com/dp/1952928125/

* Middle grade realistic fiction for grades 3-6

* For fans of the Middle School series by James
Kailey (Luminous Libro)
Maylie is finding it difficult to write a story, any story. She has plenty of ideas, but keeps second-guessing herself when she starts to write. Hoping to find inspiration, she goes on a trip to London with her aunt, her grandmother, and her twin brother, Camden.

Maylie is a great character. I liked being inside her head and seeing all her fears and anxieties, and how she manages to overcome those things. I liked Aunt Layla because she is always encouraging and inspiring. Camden got on my nerves
Tonja Drecker
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Travel and learning about different countries combines with a girl's desire to achieve her dreams while facing the trials of a younger brother, writer's block and whatever other problems being 10-years-old might throw her way.

Maylie is ten and dreams of becoming a famous author, but no matter how hard she tries, she just can't get a story out onto paper. To make matters worse, her aunt...who is a famous photographer...wants to take them on a tour of Europe during summer break. If her younger bro
Lori
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading middle grade books.
One is we all were in Maylie's place at one time or another as we were growing up.
Two I've never been to Europe until now. So many places!
I was happy that I got to experience these places with Maylie.
Maylie is an interesting character. I can understand her in so many ways.
If I had a daughter I'd want her to be just like Maylie.
I love trying new authors. So when I saw this book I knew it was for me.
In my opinion, this author has done a wonderful job with this
Justine Laismith
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This young middle-grade book is about an American girl's summer trip to England.

Maylie was nervous before her trip as she'd be away for the summer. However she soon gets into the swing of things in England. In London, she meets a girl on a writing course. Their paths crossed again at Leeds Castle. United against their irritating brothers, these girls form a firm friendship.

With the characters' diverse backgrounds and career-minded female mentors, this book fits right into the current market. A r
Bridget Neace
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read! I liked the fact that the kids have the opportunity to travel to another country (and the plan is for them to go other places in future books!). I am not very well traveled myself, YET--but since reading this story, I've had the opportunity to travel to Ireland with my family (and Alaska by myself--I want to take my family there on a return trip!) and I'm happy that my kids have had the opportunity to find adventure in a foreign land, like Maylie. I think this was a good way ...more
Monica Bruenjes
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As the illustrator I had the pleasure of reading this title in advance, and I was so excited to work on such a great story! I really connected with Maylie, her imagination, her anxiety, and her dreams. I often find myself thinking the worst, most ridiculous situations like Maylie, so it's fun to see her overcome these thoughts and persevere with her will to become a writer. As an adult I enjoyed this book being able to empathize so much with the main character, but rest assured there's plenty of ...more
Maylie and the Maze was a book I thoroughly enjoyed reading as a parent, reader, and educator. As a parent, I loved that it promoted so many positive lessons of character and knowledge without my child even realizing it! The reader in me always enjoys a good read, but I have to admit I find it hard to read stories that don't inspire my imagination, even though I do it often in my roles of educator and parent. This wasn't the case with Maylie, it was an enjoyable read from beginning to end. Final ...more
Stacy
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maylie and the Maze is an exciting story which transports you to modern day England through the eyes of an adventurous ten year old.

As the pages unfold you experience an ancient castle, a mysterious maze, and a story within a story. There's history scattered within in an interesting way, and it keeps you entertained until the very last sentence.

There's more travel stories in this series coming in the future which will thrill M.L.Tarpley's readers. A fun read for the traveller in all of us!
Vicky Sluiter
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maylie and the Maze is a great story for your young reader. Author M.L. Tarpley takes us on an adventure, traveling through England with Maylie. Your reader will not only tour England, but will learn things about people and culture. So along with a fun story, they’ll be learning new things.

The characters, especially Maylie and Camden, are true to life. They may be twins but they still deal with sibling rivalry and other normal sibling challenges, while growing both individually and together.

I h
Alicia Ortego
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for this book! I read it with my daughter and it was a real adventure. Every evening she asked me to read and it's the highest award from modern kids) I think Geography and friendship are the points that make this book even more valuable. As an educator, I love the discussion guide. ...more
Carole Johnson
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great educational and encouraging story for ages eight to ten. Loved the part about Leeds Castle. It brought back memories of my visit there. Such a fun read!
Emilie Haney
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet story good for younger girl readers.

(Full review to follow)

My rating: 4*
Kylei Cornelison
Jul 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Bianca
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
eARC provided by the author

Maylie is such a relatable character for me: a little girl with writer’s block and anxiety. Going with Maylie on her journey to overcome both her struggles was enjoyable and empowering.

As a pre-service teacher I also really appreciate all of the educational aspects of this book and it would be great for class discussions and writing prompts.

Overall I really liked this book and recommend it to middle grade readers.
Grant
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
WELL WRITTEN!!!

Story was well written, the characters and their behavior very much mimiced siblings behavior (I have 3 kids, they're always squabbling about something). Amazing adventure, my eldest 2 loved it, keep it up Ma'am!
Marguerite Gray
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a treasure! I feel like I have been to England with Maylie. As an adult, I loved this book. As an elementary age child it would be a super win. Now, I'm off to Ireland with Book Two! Bravo M.L. Tarpley! ...more
Ryan Moore
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ML Tarpley does a fantastic job of interweaving a love of travel and writing in Maylie and the Maze. Loved the book. Worth the read.
Challice
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed how the author uses an aspiring writer like Maylie to tell a story about herself but also use her surroundings to understand culture geography. Maylie in this first book, takes a trip to England with her "annoying" twin brother, Camden, aunt, and Grandma. There was a slow start to the book and then I really enjoyed where the author was taking it. It reminds me of the books you can purchase from Usborne! The illustrations are my absolute favorite thing about this book. It brings ...more
Mitchel Maree
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maylie and Maze was a fun read. The story revolves around a young aspiring writer, Maylie, who travels to England with her grandma, aunt, and twin brother, in the hopes of finding inspiration. What she learns on this journey is what we all learn in life, we often our own worst enemies and we let our own fear get in the way of our dreams. Maylie is a great role model for middle-grade readers out there and think most kids will be able to relate to her in same way.

Not to mention, M.L. Tarpley, tak
Laia Silver
This debut middle grade novel about adventure, bravery and friendship was a heartwarming, fun read. It is the type of book I would have loved when I was younger, seeing the world through Maylie’s eyes. I loved the aspect of traveling and education, allowing kids to dream big and realise there is a big exciting world out there.

I like that this book touches on bravery and overcoming fears, and that even though you might be scared, if you give something a try you might just love it!

This book is t

• The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
  • Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation
  • But It's Just a Game
  • Chicken Clicking
  • But I Read It on the Internet!
  • The Technology Tail: A Digital Footprint Story: 3 (Communicate W/Confidence) (Communicate with Confidence)
  • The Fabulous Friend Machine
  • When Charlie McButton Lost Power
  • Shadows of Swanford Abbey
  • Tacos for Two
  • The Winter Rose
  • The Letter from Briarton Park (The Houses of Yorkshire, #1)
  • The Debutante's Code (Thorndike & Swann Regency Mysteries #1)
Hi there, I'm Author M.L. Tarpley! I write stories of adventure, friendship, and fun that transport kids to amazing places across the world. MAYLIE AND THE MAZE is my debut novel and Book One in the TALES OF A TRAVEL GIRL series. The series has two releases a year as well as companion coloring
& activity books. I have also written a non-fiction book that teaches kids to write fiction >> https://rb

Tales of a Travel Girl (3 books)
  • Maylie's Luck of the Irish (Tales of a Travel Girl #2)
  • Maylie of the Highlands (Tales of a Travel Girl #3)