Start by marking “Upon a Once Time” as Want to Read:
Upon a Once Time

Upon a Once Time

Fairy tales and folk tales, originally passed down orally through generations, are a fundamental part of our shared world culture.

They are a way to interpret - through magic and monsters, princesses and paupers, queens and quests - lessons on morality and society. They show a once upon a time world of simple archetypes in fantastical situations.

This book gathers twenty-on
Paperback, First Edition, 232 pages
Published November 1st 2020 by Air and Nothingness Press

To ask other readers questions about Upon a Once Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon a Once Time

Start your review of Upon a Once Time
Rebecca | Velvet Opus
I love a good fairy-tale and this compilation includes twenty-one authors re-imagining fairy tales and folk tales from The Little Mermaid to Beauty and the Beast. Thanks to the publisher for a review copy! RTC.
Ashley
When I began this book, I knew that it was about fairytales, but I thought it was a collection of old stories. I was so pleasantly surprised when I realized it was, infact, a collection of remained fairytales, ranging from sci-fi and fantasy to horror.
From the very first story, I had a good idea that I would love this book and I'm so excited that not one story in this anthology was less than a five star for me. Each story was wonderfully unique in its reimagining of old favorites like Beauty an
Maya Chhabra
Oct 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a short story in this beautiful anthology! Check out "Mutability" and all the other cool stories.
Fernanda Ceballos
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.

I want to start by appreciating the beautiful cover of this compound of short stories, it was what drew my attention at first! Its so gorgeous

Now with that being said, Im a sucker for retellings so ofcourse I was interested in this anthology that not only promised Neil Gaimanesque stories and dark vibes but it actually delivered.

The fairy tales used for this anthology range from the popular ones such as
Whisper19
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks to NetGalley and Air and Nothingness Press for the ARC

I don't mind fairy tale retellings in general, but I didn't like this one.
It was just too muddled up for me. The fact that they combined multiple tales in one story was bad enough, but then you add multiply styles/genres, and all you get is a story that doesn’t know what it wants to be when it grows up.
There are two or three that are good, or at least better than the rest. The golem retelling and the Cinderella retelling are not bad.
Stormy's Book Nest
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm always a sucker for fairy tale retellings, especially ones that go against expectations. This collection delivered everything I wanted and then some! Opening with a dark tale of vengeance of six rusalki sisters, I knew this was going to be my kind of anthology. The second entry telling of space-hopping sentient worms was definitely a departure from anything I'd read before, and by the end I was fully invested. One entry ("Taketori Momogatari") was so bizarre I couldn't tell if it was told ea ...more
Andrea
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I saw "fairy tale retelling" and came running. In Upon a Once Time we find 21 short tales (loosely) based on existing fairy tales, some of which we all know, like Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid, and others which were totally unheard of for me.

It was a quick, entertaining read but nothing too special. Maybe because the stories were so short I didn't really have time to get fully invested in them. I still enjoyed reading them anyways.

I very much appreciated that the storie
Rowena Andrews
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I have to say that I love the cover for Upon a Once Time and it is what first caught my attention, and I am so glad that it did because I loved this anthology. I've been dipping my toes more and more into retellings this year, and I've found it a bit of a gamble, but this anthology was certainly a win. I loved the sheer variety of approaches and genres in these tales, as well as the wonderful diversity, and while I had some stories that I enjoyed more than others, every story in this co ...more
Paul
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though fantasy is not my go-to genre, I do dabble, and I'm glad I did here (although all of the stories may not fall into that category). Readers are bound not to like all of the stories, but many of them are quite good. All are pretty imaginative. A good collection overall.

Thanks very much for the review copy!!
Roshni
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-stars, arc-review
The description of this book on NetGalley says:
"This book gathers twenty-one authors who have brought new focus to fairy tales by combining two well known stories with a literary genre of their choice."

When you read this, your mind starts expecting a Neil Gaiman-esque fictional + fantastical bonanza. And the book does deliver to a great extent.

The fairy tales used for this anthology range from the popular ones such as Beauty and the Beast, The Pied Piper and Little Red Riding Hood to totally un
Ruby
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Air and Nothingness press for this e-arc in exchange for an honest review

Upon A Once Time edited by Todd Sanders

3/5 stars (spoiler free review)

Anthologies have never particularly interested me, so going into this book, I was nervous. But I can safely say that I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book and I also found myself intrigued by it.

Upon A Once time is a collection of fairy tale re-imaginings written by 25 different authors. Each story takes on a new and i
Ami
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
**Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a free e-book in exchange for an honest review**
"Upon a Once Time" is an SFF anthology featuring 21 fairy-tale retellings by different authors.
The first thing I noticed about this book, the more and more I read, was how diverse it is, both in characters and in authors. There are multiple sapphic stories and non-binary authors, which I greatly appreciated. Apart from that, the stories are fun and weird, and they contain many genres such as sci-fi, fa
CR
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this collection of stories! The gorgeous cover grabbed my attention. From the moment I finished the first of the reimagined tales I knew I would love this book! I love how they’re not all your typical happy ever after sand they’re dark and twisted in some cases. Some of them even reminded me of the old Grimm’s fairytales with how dark they were. I felt that all of the stories were brilliant.
Kay Mcleer
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this was a great anthology, each story works well together and the book has a great flow. All the stories flow together and there wasn't any weak one in this anthology.
Tom Franklin
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of fairytales retold for modern and future times curated by Todd Sanders.

Looking forward to the sequel.
Nike Sulway
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Bado
Nov 28, 2020
Anna
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rebecca Treasure
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Heather
Oct 18, 2020
Alicia Cay
Oct 20, 2020
Taryn
Oct 23, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Marissa van Uden
Oct 24, 2020
C.J. Dotson
Oct 25, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Suri Parmar
Oct 26, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Julie
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Nov 06, 2020
Sinead
Nov 09, 2020

• How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • The Ultra Mind Solution: Automatically Boost Your Brain Power, Improve Your Mood and Optimize Your Memory
  • Whisper Me a Love Song (Whisper Me a Love Song, #1)
  • Knaves: A Blackguards Anthology
  • River Magic (Rituals of Rock Bay #1)
  • Sacrifice (Bloodline Vampires #1)
  • City Monster
  • ダンジョン飯 3 [Dungeon Meshi 3] (Delicious in Dungeon, #3)
  • Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 1
  • ダンジョン飯 2 [Dungeon Meshi 2] (Delicious in Dungeon, #2)
  • Ring Shout
  • How Love Actually Ruined Christmas (or Colourful Narcotics)
  • Where Is Tony Blunt? (Atrocities #2)
  • To Dream and Die as a Taniwha Girl (Yarnsworld #5)
  • Blanche on the Lam (Blanche White #1)
  • Troy
  • The Canterbury Murders (Stanton & Barling, #3)
  • The China Doll