Start by marking “The Reader, the Text, the Poem: The Transactional Theory of the Literary Work” as Want to Read:
The Reader, the Text, the Poem: The Transactional Theory of the Literary Work

The Reader, the Text, the Poem: The Transactional Theory of the Literary Work

Louise M. Rosenblatt’s award-winning work continues increasingly to be read in a wide range of academic fields—literary criticism, reading theory, aesthetics, composition, rhetoric, speech communication, and education. Her view of the reading transaction as a unique event involving reader and text at a particular time under particular circumstances rules out the dualistic ...more
Published September 21st 1994 by Southern Illinois University Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Reader, the Text, the Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reader, the Text, the Poem

Crystal  Belle
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: grad-school
Essentially, Rosenblatt mentions the transactional theory of reading from the beginning to the end. Don't waste your time and read the entire book. The first 3 chapters are all you need....I do agree that reading is an active process, but it did not seem different from what many other people have already said and done.
J. Alfred
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
With the freedom of scope an entire book affords, Rosenblatt is able to spell out her views on the "transactional theory" of reading in depth and with considerable charm. It is unmistakably a polemical work, but that doesn't stop Rosenblatt from showing off an admirable knowledge of a vast array of literature, while at the same time commenting on a wealth of ongoing disputes in the critical communities.
Her main points are basically: 1. The reader is as much a part of the reading experience as t
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed not only Rosenblatt's ideas but her writing of them. She generally takes a generous time to completely articulate where she's going but does so without feeling nit-picky or tedious if that makes sense. Her transactional theory of the interchange between the reader and the text is really quite lovely and privileges the aesthetic stance over the more typical efferent, which I think will help promote reading for enjoyment that often leads to more introspection into the book rathe ...more
Kathrina
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Contains everything I believe about reading but never knew.
Zara
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting theories about the relationship between reader, text, author, and "poem," but ultimately a little redundant and hard to get through.
Teresa Hill
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reads like a mystery but when one figures it out its an ah ha moment. Such as how one reads diffrently when readig in an emergency or just doing the reading stance: efferent aesthetic reading.
Catie
Apr 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my the way I looked at literature forever.
Stacy
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stacy by: Dr. Alexander Sidorkin
Rosenblatt's transactional theory of the literary work has become the foundational piece for my dissertation. I wish she could be my case to study!

See notes.

UNC PN 45.R587 1994
Noora
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: tietokirjat
Aiheeltaan ihan mielenkiintoinen tenttikirja, mutta kielen takia osa jutuista meni yli hilseen, eikä kaikkeen todellakaan jaksanut keskittyä.
Windy
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
The last chapter drags a bit (or a lot), but the first half of this book is absolutely masterful. A must-read for English teachers.
Leigh Cross
Sep 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
I finally gave up. Louise and I were just not meant to be.
Holland