Start by marking “Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)” as Want to Read:
Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)

Death at Whitechapel

(The Victorian Mystery Series #6)

Kathryn Ardleigh and her husband, Charles, are called on for help when scandal threatens Jennie Jerome Churchill. Her son Winston's political future is jeopardized by someone who claims to have proof that his father was none other than the notorious Jack the Ripper...
Published February 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Death at Whitechapel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Whitechapel

Apr 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
Very disappointing. I usually enjoy this serious but the author's regurgitation of crap theories was tedious. Almost put down the book without finishing it, but settled for scanning to the end. Even the scanning was tedious.
Dennis Fischman
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
They say truth is stranger than fiction. It's certainly more complex. The authors writing under the name of Robin Paige have written a fiction based on a speculative version of the truth, and the storytelling suffers. I lost count of how many false endings the book presented before it finally wrapped up with resolution of the cook, Mrs. Pratt's domestic drama (apparently to bring us back to commonsense and the everyday after such a potboiler). And yet all the machinations don't conceal the fact ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - I've always been fascinated by Jack the Ripper and perhaps I enjoyed this story so much because it delves into one of my favourite mysteries, and almost makes the absurd royal conspiracy seem believable. I also enjoyed seeing a possible different side to Winston Churchill, as most people will only know him as the victor over the Nazis, but he was young once and this book explores that time.

Genre? - Mystery / Crime / Historical

Characters? - Kate Ardleigh Sheridan
Lori McD
I'm giving this one 4 stars, because it really impressed me! Lord Charles Sheridan and his wife Kathryn (Kate) find themselves tracking Jack the Ripper 10 years after the fact. They're drawn into the whole thing by Jenny Churchill, the American-born wife of Lord Randall Churchill and the mother of Winston Church.

Jenny has been blackmailed for years by an unknown person calling himself (or herself) A. Byrd. In fact, the blackmailer has been so prolific in his threats, that Jenny has gone through
Susan in NC
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Amelia Peabody, Victoria Thompson, Anne Perry, Victorian mysteries
Recommended to Susan in NC by: Amazon
This started a bit slow but really picked up and I remembered why I enjoyed this series! It doesn't have as much humor as "Silent in the Grave", but more than Anne Perry's books, so it's a happy balance for a Victorian husband/wife mystery series. The interesting thing is "Robin Paige" is actually a husband/wife team of writers, and they work actual historical figures into their stories (Beatrix Potter, Lillie Langtry, Rudyard Kipling, etc.). Makes for an interesting read, and you learn about th ...more
Liz V.
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
For well over a hundred years, the Ripper murders--whether 5, 11, or more--have fascinated and horrified readers and spawned theories implicating over 100 men and women. This book is based on conjecture first made public in 1962, according to Wikipedia, and discredited subsequently by incontrovertible evidence that the His Royal Highness Albert Victor was 500 miles from London and died in an influenza pandemic in the presence of innumerable family and courtiers.

While the book is well written an
Chana
Historical fiction around Jennie Churchhill, her deceased husband Randolph, her son Winston, and the Jack the Ripper murders.
Jennie is being blackmailed with a picture of her late husband Randolph talking to Ripper murder victim Mary Kelley. She is paying up because she doesn't want anything to impede her son's future political career. But when she ends up in the house of a dead man she decides she needs help and goes to her friends Lord and Lady Charles and Kate Sheridan; they've been kno
Regina
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Up to now I have enjoyed all books in this series and also the cameo appearances of Victorian celebrities. But this one felt incredibly contrieved. The mystery was also very weak. It felt like the authors saying „we write about the Victorian area, so we have to have the most famous Victorian murderer in there somehow“ but then ran out of ideas how to shoehorn him in and so invented a very flimsy and tortouous storyline. Very disappointing! I really hope the next books get back to the old level!
Kathy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just what I expect from a Robin Paige book - well written and carefully developed plot with historical figures and events interwoven throughout. They are consistently tops in the genre of historical mysteries.
Sandy Shin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Jack the Ripper revisited, Jennie Churchill, the young, and not admirable, Winston Churchill. I am enjoying this ramble through the late Victorian society
Kim
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I usually like British murder mysteries. But not this one. It’s contrived and obvious. I actually didn’t finish the book because at some point I just didn’t care.
Sherry
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
A found the characters predictable & the Ripper story a pretty standard view of the murders.
Vickie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series. It's not only a good mystery to read, it's a look into the past. A look at class structure, inventions, how everything affects the old way of life.
This one is a look at Jack the Ripper. The repercussions continue with blackmail of Winston Churchill's family. I've not read any biographies of Winston Churchill and this made me want to find one to read.
I am glad I have a stack of the books in the series ready to go any time. I love Kathryn Ardleigh's strength and sense
Karen Bilida
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book! Dealing with Winston Churchhill, his Mother, and Jack the Ripper - real people from history mixed with historical fiction into a engrossing novel.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole series, so far, but this book was just so intriguing.
Steven
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is another interesting historical mystery by the husband-wife writer team that works under the pseudonym "Robin Paige." This time, Sir Charles and Lady Kate wind up investigating the murders of Jack the Ripper, and interacting with a young Winston Churchill.

The novel was fairly enjoyable, but I found the whole "Freemason Conspiracy Theory" rather silly, and from what I have read on the internet, although it may have been in vogue at the time this novel was written (in the 1990s)
Anna Bergmark
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jack the Ripper? There's suction in that outburst of blood and gore, yes, but is it an appropriate object for a lighthearted Victorian murder mystery-series? No, not really.

Add the fact that it's already a cold case by the time the plot heads off, throw in a blackmail with a murder of its own, involve the Churchill family, dress two upper crust ladies in servants clothing and send them out into the slum, let them discover a story about the butchered women that the whole of East End k
Barbara
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Ah, the Ripper Murders - they figure prominently and are basically the focus of this book. I won't go into detail, but I never heard of this theory before for the Ripper Murders. Seems a bit fanciful, but at the same time, is believable.

The authors, (a husband and wife team), include real life people of the time in their mysteries, set in Victorian England. In this case it is Jenny and Winston Churchill (mother and son), and posthumously, Randolph Churchill, Winston's father. Very interesting t
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the 6th book in the Victorian Mystery series and is a bit of a departure from the rest of the series. The focus is on blackmail with the major historical characters being a young Winston Churchill and his mother. The other major historical figure is Jack the Ripper. Kate and Charles work separately to determine if Lord Churchill was involved or possibly was Jack the Ripper. Kate travels to the scene of the Ripper crimes along with Jennie Churchill, masquerading as Irish family of one of ...more
Katherine
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
If you've never read anything about Lady Jennie Churchill, Winston Churchill or Jack the Ripper you will like this book. Unfortunately, I've read about all of them extensively so was bored by the JtheR theme and annoyed by the characterization of Jennie, who, like so many nouveau riche Americans of the time found that they could penetrate English Society much more easily than American Society by marrying into it and providing the monetary means for the snobbish classes to maintain their lifestyl ...more
Cheryl
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I quite enjoy this series and these characters and the opportunity to learn a little about historical figures at the same time. This book involves the question as to whether Lord Randolph Churchill (father of Winston) was at all connected to the Jack the Ripper scandal. It makes an interesting case (although I find Patricia Cornwell's book implicating Walter Sickert -- who is also a character here -- more compelling). I am a little leery, though, of the use, once again, of Freemasons as the myst ...more
Avid Series Reader
Death at Whitechapel by Robin Paige is the 6th book of the Sir Charles Sheridan mystery series set in Victorian England. The series incorporates historical figures in fictional adventures with Charles and Kathryn; in this book it's Winston Churchill as a young man. His widowed mother is being blackmailed over an alleged scandal that would hurt her son's chances for career advancement. She asks Charles and Kathryn for help. Investigating the blackmail requires them to question inhabitants of the ...more
Shirley Schwartz
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A real Jack-the-Ripper story. I enjoy the novels that this husband and wife team write about the late Victorian era. What I like the most is the extensive research that they put in each book, as well as the real life characters from that time that they insert in major roles in each story. This book is no exception. It was a fascinating insight into the infamous Whitechapel murders, and a very plausible theory as to who committed the crimes. Kathryn and Charles are wonderful sleuths, and in this ...more
Dharia Scarab
Nov 03, 2013 rated it did not like it

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by the author for
Jul 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Absolutely awful. I read the book solely because it's sat on my shelf for almost ten years. It's suppose dto be historical fiction about the Jack Ripper killings, but it's only a rip-off (no pun intended) of other's work. What's worse is when you realize that not just one writer plagarized this book, but two, a husband and wife team who sorry to say has written a slew of them. DO NOT READ! It is a waste of time and they barely touch on what could be a great story, but no! They beat what little t ...more
Text Addict
If there had to be another novel about the Jack the Ripper murders, this one isn't a bad entry. Lots of material about the early life of Winston Churchill, too. I probably would've liked it better if so much of the ground (the basic Who Was the Ripper theory, and Churchill) wasn't already familiar to me. And I also dislike it when book set in actual reality (even historical reality) pretend that psychic stuff is real.
Deb
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this look at whether Winston Churchill's father was involved in Jack the Ripper murders and why the women were killed and mutilated. I was never into the Ripper. So since there are many ideas about what really happened and who really did it the authors took one of these thoughts and ran with it. I learnt a lot about what was going on during this time period. As always another good book by Robin Paige.
C.J. Prince
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
1898. # 6 in the Victorian Mystery novels. I do love this series. The authors bring in historical characters who add interest to the story of Kathryn Ardleigh and Lord Charles Sheridan. The mother of the famous Winston Churchill is instrumental in the weaving of this plot with blackmail and murder at Whitechapel, the scene of Jack the Ripper's ghastly crimes. (However, quietly in the city of Chicago much worse mayhem eliminated many more women in "Devil in the White City.")
Janet
The biggest problem with reading fiction is you’re never sure how much of it has a basis in truth. Was Winston Churchill’s father ever really a contender for Jack the Ripper? Was there a secret Royal marriage? Were the Freemasons involved with the murders? Even the non-fiction books I perused seem to serve solely to prove their author’s theories instead of allowing the readers to draw their own conclusions.
Donna Zigmont
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was really enjoyable.I really liked the authors use of real and fictional characters.I am A fan of the historical fiction and mystery genres and love that this series combines both.I also like reading different takes on the Jack The Ripper murders.I really appreciated this book.While it dealt with A very real subject there was humor in it as well so it wasn't so intense.I look forward to continuing with the rest of the series.
Audrey
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical mysteries
Shelves: 1900-s
This was the first book in this series I have read and I really enjoyed it, I loved the Victorian England setting and I like all the characters, I am going to get the first book in the series so I can begin at the beginning!

I have read quite a few books that featured Jack the Ripper and I found the theory of his identity in this one very plausible and I have even seen it presented before in the Johnny Depp movie; "From Hell" 2001.

Goodreads Librari...: please add page number 3 16 Oct 24, 2017 01:57AM

• A Play of Dux Moraud (Joliffe the Player, #2)
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
  • The Roaring Boy
  • Death with Reservations (Pennyfoot Hotel #10)
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • The Tale of Holly How (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #2)
Robin Paige is the pen-name of husband and wife team Bill and Susan Wittig Albert.

The Robin Paige Victorian/Edardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series, beginning with 'Death at Bishop's Keep'. features two amateur sleuths: Kate Ard

The Victorian Mystery Series (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)