Start by marking “Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)” as Want to Read:
Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)

Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh #7)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  820 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Lord Charles Sheridan has launched an investigation into a jockey's recent (and mysterious) death-while his wife, Kate, puzzles over the long-ago theft of an actress's jewels. But soon the Sheridans can't help wondering if the two strange events are, somehow, connected.
Published February 5th 2002 by Berkley (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Epsom Downs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Epsom Downs

Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I liked this mystery and it kept my attention, but it wasn't anything super special. A great book to read on a wintery night curled up in bed, but not amazing literature.

Kathryn and Charles are solving mysteries again, this time at the Epsom horse races. A conspiracy to dope the horses has resulted in a bookie being murdered, and of course, Charles is called in to investigate with Kate making her own inquiries in the background.

As always, I love the perfect understanding and love between Charle
Dennis Fischman
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Who killed the bookie? That's the least interesting secret revealed in this book. Learning about Lillie Langtry gave me more insight into the birth of celebrity culture, and Robin Paige does better than Dick Francis at making horse racing a topic worth reading about. I have to say, though, that having the Prince of Wales wave his hand and make embarrassing problems disappear is not sporting.
Barbara
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Really enjoying this series. Not intellectually taxing; not overly complicated; not especially deep, but still more thought provoking than most mysteries these days and enjoyable as you read through. I am still enjoying the mix of real life people of the late Victorian Era with the main characters of this book. In this case the character is Lilly Langtry, an actress and the former mistress of the heir to the throne, Edward, Queen Victoria's son.

Lilly doesn't come across as very sympathetic char
A.M.
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always learn something fascinating about Victoria-era England when reading a Kathryn Ardleigh novel. In Death at Epsom Downs, the mystery is set against the backdrop of horse racing and the dark world of horse doping. We also meet a very intriguing historical figure, Lillie Langtry, a notorious actress and personality in her day.

"Try as we may, we cannot get behind things to the reality. And the terrible reason may be that there is no reality in things apart from their appearances." - Oscar Wi
Kw
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
My first foray into this series of Victorian mysteries. The authors have woven historical figures into the mix, which enhances the interest for me. A good mystery, well-written, with interesting characters and a glimpse into 1895 English society. Wow, that Lillie Langtry was really something else!
Tanya
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have never been interested in the glamour and behind-the-scenes intrigues of horseracing, and it turns out this lack of interest is not lessened when there is murder involved. I skipped every paragraph (and a few chapters) after page 50 that had the word horse or jockey or racing.
Lissa Notreallywolf
Wasn't as thrilled with this as I am with her southwestern detective. I like historical novels but perhaps it's because I entered into the series on book 7
Virginia Adi
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
fascinating tale of the beginnings of racehorse horse doping
Anna Bergmark
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
After two weak installments (one bland and one right out bad) the series is back on track again, the hoarse track to be exact.

The historical details are well researched as usual, but little did I know that hoarse racing could be so interesting, the doping, the fraudulent creativity and the massive and reckless betting habits especially.

And the "real life" special guest star? This time it's Lillie Langtry. A well known actress or a high priced prostitute, I couldn't say. But she's multifaceted en
Tria
2 stars. Decidedly not the best of the series; I was bored so rapidly that this book ended up in my DNF pile, as very few in its subgenre ultimately do.
Fredell Boston
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The review in "Publishers Weekly" said that Death at Epsom Downs was a neatly plotted tale of mayhem among the racing set--owners, trainers, bettors, bookies and the Jockey Club! Robin Paige (aka Susan Wittig Albert and Bill Albert) has made the 7th novel in the Victorian Series one to remember. Lillie Langtry, HRH the Prince of Wales, and many of the era's horsey set are incorporated in this novel featuring Lord Charles Sheridan and his american wife, Kate (also known as the author, Beryl Bardw ...more
Susan
Death at Epsom Downs by Robin Paige is 7th in the Victorian historical mystery series set in Victorian England. Charles Sheridan (Lord Somerset) and his wife Kathryn "Kate" are an engaging team of amateur sleuths. Both are ahead of their time, eagerly embracing new technologies. Charles is interested in the latest advances in photography and forensics. In previous books he used fingerprints to solve a case, a technique not widely accepted yet. Charles' and Kate's latest adventure is all about ho ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is a nicely balanced book bringing historical figures into a mystery. Horse doping is suddenly under way in England as American jockey Tod Sloan comes over and brings experts in the use of drugs with him. They defraud bookmakers and the public as well as endangering horses and riders.

Meanwhile actress Lillie Langtry has been accused of stealing jewels herself and suing the bank which lost them. Lillie does not come off well and we get to see a lot of her and of a child she supposedly had wi
Michelle
This is the 7th book in the Victorian/Edwardian mystery series and involves horse racing. The historical elements include the introduction of photography for the "photo finish" pioneered by Muybridge, the start of doping in horse racing, and Lillie Langtry, the actress and racing fan/gambler known as "Mr Jersey". Charles and Kate are at Epsom Downs so that Charles can photograph the finish of the races. When a race goes horribly wrong, Charles is asked to investigate possible doping. Amelia, Kat ...more
Deb
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good read by the authors Robin Paige. This one centers around English horse racing in the late 1800 and the actress Lillie Langtry. Lillie seems to always "be on stage", especially at home. She surrounds her self with shady characters. At the races a jockey dies riding a juiced horse. A bookie is murdered soon afterwards. Mrs. Langtry's gun is missing and she was to met the bookie about the time he was murdered. Did she do it? Maybe she had it done? Or maybe she had nothing to do with it ...more
Susan in NC
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Victorian (lighter) mysteries
Recommended to Susan in NC by: Amazon
I dove right into this after finishing "Death at Whitechapel" - as I said in my review of that one, I remembered why I liked this husband/wife Victorian mystery series, and since I have several of the books I'll probably continue on to "Death on Dartmoor" for my beach trip next week. They are perfect for that - interesting, fairly fast-paced, not a ton of humor but fun, light reads. As I said, the inclusion of historical figures makes it fun - in this one, centered on "doping" in the Victorian r ...more
The Hobbit
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Victorian England 1899. Horse racing, the national sport, is being dominated by Americans who have introduced doping to make horses run faster, or slower to throw a race. Actress Lillie Langtry is famous not for her acting but for her gowns, jewels (especially the stolen ones), and her numerous affairs (including the Prince of Wales); An ardent bettor on horse races, Lillie appears to be connected with some questionable characters from the stables and betting parlors. When one of the most succes ...more
Argum
Having been invited to the races to photograph the finish, Charles is forced by the Prince of Wales to investigate a possibly doped horse caused accident. Patrick from the book with Rudyard Kipling reappears as a stable boy cum jockey. Kate is accosted by Lillie Langtrie to turn her writing into a play. The two halves of the couple are staying at different homes and seeing different angles to the case when a bookmaker is killed. The establishment is not willing to take a stand on doping to avoid ...more
Tony Hisgett
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I stopped reading these books after I found Kate was becoming less involved in the investigations, but after a break off a couple of years I thought I would give them another try.
Unfortunately, the pattern of Kate just being an appendage to Charles’s investigation has continued and as a result this is a very ordinary historical mystery.
I am also not sure that the authors were particularly fair on Lily Langtry, as much of her account, was made up by the authors, with only the barest skeleton of h
Katherine
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
While I'm enjoying this series I don't like the inclusion of real life characters such as Lillie Langtry. I also find it very difficult to accept that an American expat who was brought up by a policeman and his wife would find herself in the exalted company of English society during Victorian times. Heck, she'd have had a tough time right through the '80's there or at home for that matter--I mean the 1980's!
C.J. Prince
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love series where I see the unfolding of a character over an extended time frame. Robin Paige, pseudonym for Susan Wittig Albert and Bill Albert, dives into the late 1800s and early 1900s in this historical novel. This novel brings in Lilly Langtry, a well known actress in the 1800s. Kate, the American Irish woman with feisty self confidence, and her gentried husband Lord Charles solve a mystery worth reading.
Ken Bickley
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The husband and wife team of Bill and Susan Wittig Albert, writing as Robin Paige, have crafted an outstanding series of Victorian mysteries. This one, the 7th, deals with murder and intrigue in the English horse-racing set. It includes Lillie Langtry among several actual people of the time, and (as always) is meticulously researched. It's a great read.
Janet Windeguth
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy these books for a number of reasons, but the biggest reason is for the true-life events (and people) Paige interweaves with the fictional ones. Fingerprinting, x-ray machines, cars…so many of our everyday items and practices are in their infancy in these books. It’s refreshing to see them through eyes that make them fresh and new.
Dail Sams
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kate and Charles travel to Newcastle for the horse races where a well-known bookie is found murdered. Charles is conducting an investigation into horse doping and the murder while Kate spends time with actress Lillie Langtry, a complicated woman who rarely is above board because she has much to hide.
Debra
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
for those who have seen the series Downton Abby and are familiar with the speech patterns of the English, I found myself reading this delightful book with an "english accent' as it were...I could hear the servants saying m'lady....you get a nice feeling for the Victorian time period...
Mark Macatee
I enjoyed this, although not quite as much as earlier volumes. There was more actual investigation and discovery of clues rather than happenstance which I definitely did appreciate. Looking for to the next installment.
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This author was recommended by my Mystery Lovers club and I really liked it. It is a setting in England in the 1800's and is about horse racing and a murder committed at the stables. Kate is American and Sir Charles is Brittish and they live in England. Good suspense and good investigating.
Donna Zigmont
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book.The best in the series so far for me.I love the two main characters of Kate and Charles.They balance each other very nicely.I also like the blending of real and ficticious characters together.The vivid details of the scenes make you feel like you're actually there yourself.
Jeff Bleyle
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
[3.5 stars] Though the main characters and mystery plotting are nothing extraordinary, I continue to enjoy this series mostly for the historical settings and famous figures. In this volume the notorious Lillie Langtry and the English horse racing scene of the late Victorian period are featured.
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Mysteries, #5)
  • For Whom Death Tolls (Manor House #3)
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
aka Bill and Susan Wittig Albert

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series features two sleuths: Kate Ardleigh Sheridan and Sir Charles Sheridan. Kate is an Irish-American woman who writes under the pseudonym of Bery
More about Robin Paige...

Kathryn Ardleigh (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)