Start by marking “Survive the Night” as Want to Read:
Survive the Night

Survive the Night

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  65,802 ratings  ·  10,635 reviews
Charlie Jordan is being driven across the country by a serial killer. Maybe.

Behind the wheel is Josh Baxter, a stranger Charlie met by the college ride share board, who also has a good reason for leaving university in the middle of term. On the road they share their stories, carefully avoiding the subject dominating the news - the Campus Killer, who's tied up and stabbed t
Published June 29th 2021 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Survive the Night, please sign up.
Karen Definitely not. This was my least favorite. I read these with several friends and while we don't all agree on the same books, we agree this is not his…moreDefinitely not. This was my least favorite. I read these with several friends and while we don't all agree on the same books, we agree this is not his best. My personal favorites are Lock Every Door & Home Before Dark. 3 other friends prefer Final Girls or The Last Time I Lied. i suggest starting with Final Girls as an intro, it's also his first book.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Kathleen I found the blurring between real life and her “mind movies” very confusing, unsure of what was true and what was her movie. That whole idea of the “m…moreI found the blurring between real life and her “mind movies” very confusing, unsure of what was true and what was her movie. That whole idea of the “movies in the mind” didn’t work for me, I though it was unrealistic and kind of dumb.(less)

·  65,802 ratings  ·  10,635 reviews

Start your review of Survive the Night
Regina
Jun 30, 2021 rated it liked it
A Pre-Readers’ Guide to Riley Sager’s latest thriller, Survive the Night:

1. Picture the absolute stupidest female protagonist you have ever come across in fiction. Do you have her in your mind?

2. Recall a villain from another book or movie with the most ridiculous motive in the history of stories. Got one, and I mean a reeeaaalllly redonculous one?

3. Brush up on the terms “unreliable narrator” and “gaslighting.” Are you fired up to see some extreme examples?

4. Clear your schedule. Did you blo
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Sep 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2021-releases, arc
This is the worst book I've read in 2021.

I've read all 5 books from Sager and it needs to be said... His female characters are awful.

While the premise wasn't bad, the execution was appalling (view spoiler)

If you want to hate-read it, go for it but otherwise. No. Just no.

(view spoiler)
Kat
Sep 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
edit: took me long enough, but here https://youtu.be/rcD8YtGljvY

this bitch is getting a whole video asap because I have so many thoughts and absolutely none of them are positive.

description
daph pink ♡
Jun 25, 2021 rated it did not like it
I'm going to act like I didn't just squander four hours of my life reading this book. ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Aug 24, 2021 rated it did not like it
THIS. WAS. NOT. IT.

It was the lack of common sense for me!!

You know that dumb character we yell on screen in a horror movie doing stupid things? yes, enter this bish charlie jordan. this girl literally thinks she's the main character, smh. she would literally get me killed in the first five minutes of any scary movie.

charlie, you SUCK.

BYE.

1 STAR FOR ME
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Cindy
Jul 19, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had fun buddy-reading this with a friend, poking fun at the characters/situations, and making theories for the plot twists! It’s a simple and quick read, nothing deep, but can be a fun palate cleanser in-between dense books.

As for the quality of the book itself, my main gripe is that the author tends to over-explain everything, almost as if to fill up the book. Every single thought or gesture is described when it doesn’t need to be—this makes the writing redundant and not very creative. There
Larry
Oct 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
Short video review published on paperbackdreams channel. In a word, trash.
jessica
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
im a fan of RSs books. what i enjoy most about them is that, even if i dont care about the content, i sure do love the execution of the story.

so imagine my surprise when, for the first time, its the opposite. i absolutely love the premise/concept, but some of the execution is… just okay. especially toward the end.

i will say that for a story only taking place within a timeframe of 6 hours, there is a lot to unpack with this. i was never bored and i felt like i was flying through the pages. it ha
Chelsea Humphrey
I think... I'm not meta enough for this book. 😆 Please note, it's best if you go into this book blind to get the full experience for this story.

I'm waffling over how much to say in this review, because so much of Survive the Night's enjoyment depends on the big twist grabbing you. No, I don't mean the identity of the murderer, but another twist, one of omission. There's a fairly small cast for the entirety of the journey, so the final jab didn't hit quite like I'd hoped, but I think fans looking
Denise
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
It pains me slightly to be critical here because I love Sager's books, but this latest one is awful. It's another one of those books that I read all the four and five star reviews and think I had to have read a different book than everyone else. Lately I've read several books where the entire story takes place over a period of 24 hours, and I've come to the realization that I just don't care for those plots. So that is on me, but that being said, this book is just not good for a myriad of other ...more
Jayme
This book would make a FANTASTIC movie! 🍿

It is written as screenplay, with each scene, depicted by its camera location:
INT (interior, inside of) or EXT (exterior, outside of)

In fact, this time, I think the story would be better as a movie.

So, after reading some “less than enthusiastic” reviews for this one, I decided to approach it, by actually picturing what I would be SEEING, if this screenplay was on the BIG SCREEN!

And, that worked for me.

It’s 1991-cars have tape decks, and if you want to c
Lisa of Troy
Jul 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
It's the 90's. Charlie is looking for a ride to her hometown in Ohio when she meets Josh at the ride board going in the same direction. When Charlie hops in the car, she starts to think that Josh might just be The Campus Killer who has recently claimed the lives of some women at her university. Will Charlie survive this car ride?

Ugh....this review is extremely difficult for me to write, because I am seriously Riley Sager's #1 fan. I pre-ordered this months in advance. I even ended up with a sign
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

Lovers of twisted and abhorrent characters are going to love this one!!! I felt this was more frightening and darker than his last book “Home Before Dark”.

Starting this book my first thought was that this sounded way too familiar. The premise of a girl getting into a car with a stranger and things going wrong is certainly nothing new. The girls always have a reason to do this, they are running to or from something, they are happy or incredibly sad. What makes this one really
Estefanía
Apr 24, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror-lit-2021
Tell me your book is written by a man without telling me your book was written by a man.

Survive the Night was infuriating in its complete lack of realism or common sense. The premise is relatively simple: after the death of her friend, a college student decides to return home to grieve and process the trauma. What astounds me is the complete lack of any common sense that follows: Charlie willingly decides to get into a cross-country car trip with a frightening stranger who, upon their first mee
Gabby
This was one of my most anticipated books of the year, it’s also my book club pick for this month! I have such mixed feelings about this book :(

Can’t wait to discuss this book with everyone later this month! Here’s the vlog where I read it: https://youtu.be/wcbIV0T2QL4
megs_bookrack
Sep 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars rounded up**

After Charlie's best friend, Maddy, is murdered, Charlie feels an overwhelming need to leave their University campus.

Even though it's alleged that Maddy was killed by an active serial killer dubbed, The Campus Killer, Charlie isn't leaving because she fears for her life.

In short, she's leaving because she's haunted by guilt.

No one knows of the fight she and Maddy had on the night Maddy was killed. The last words that Charlie said to her; how hurtful they were. Charlie
Katie Colson
Jul 06, 2021 rated it did not like it
You know that movie where James Franco gets trapped between a cave wall and a boulder for 127 hours and is slowly losing hope and sanity and has to resort to drastic measures to get free?

Yeah, that's what this book felt like.

description

Reading Vlog/Review: https://youtu.be/UjpEE3uk8Y0
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One of my most anticipated books of the year!! I love Riley Sager!! I hated this book 😕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Michael David
Jun 20, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: widget-received
A dark night. Two strangers in a car, traveling down dark roads. Set before the days of cell phones and internet. I thought I was in for an awesome ride, but things took a detour.

The year is 1991, and right before Thanksgiving break, Charlie decides she wants to leave college…most likely indefinitely. She hasn’t gotten over the murder of her best friend, who fell victim to the Campus Killer.

Charlie meets Josh at the campus ride board while putting up a flyer to see if anyone wants to share a r
Holly  B
A binge-worthy, campy joy ride!

Buckle-up, Lock Every Door , and hang on tight for this one!

What you can expect- A campus killer on the loose, A girl (Charlie) meets stranger at ride board on campus, Girl accepts ride with stranger, Charlie's namesake is from a Hitchcock film (could there be a lesson here?), a diner on Dead River Road (wink), twists that may produce vertigo and some fun times spent in Sillyville, nothing too serious here, ignore all the red flags and ride along...

If this trip
Maureen ( NOT RECEIVING NOTIFICATIONS)
It’s 1991, and Charlie is leaving college, maybe temporarily, but probably for good. The main problem is, she can’t get over the death of her friend Maddy, who was a victim of the Campus Killer - Charlie blames herself for Maddy’s death.

She’s just posting a flyer on the campus ride board, to see if anyone wants to share a ride back to Ohio, when she meets Josh, who is looking for a passenger to share his gas costs to roughly the same area, and so it’s agreed that they’ll travel together.
Charlie
Paromjit
Jul 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the latest Riley Sager psychological thriller set in the 1990s featuring an interesting unreliable narrator, the traumatised Charlie Jordan, a film obsessed New Jersey student, whose mind is exhibiting cracks when her room mate Maddy becomes the victim of the terrifying Campus Killer. Laden down with grief and guilt, she is struggling to cope and wants to go back home to Ohio and decides to go with Josh Baxter returning to look after his sick father. They are going to be travelling for t ...more
JanB
If you are in the mood for an homage to campy B-movie thrillers where the pages practically turn themselves, then this is the book for you!

A serial murderer, dubbed The Campus Killer, is still on the loose, and his latest victim was Charlie’s best friend, Maddy. Charlie (named for a Hitchcock heroine) is too guilt and grief-stricken to stay in school, and decides to visit her grandmother. She accepts a ride to Ohio with Josh, a complete stranger. While a murderer is on loose. This is Big Mistake
— Massiel
Sep 30, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english, 2021
Riley, jeez. You could've just said you didn't like movies.

Well, I heard you clear and loud now I don't want to watch movies anymore.

Thank you.
chan ☆
Aug 15, 2021 rated it it was ok
honestly pretty bad. the car scenes were kind of eerie i guess but otherwise not very well crafted. starting to think lock every door was an anomaly. need to revisit my home before dark rating…
Irena BookDustMagic
Aug 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-reads
So... this was a shitshow full of mad people. And I don't mean it in a good way.

Let me start this review on a positive note.
As Riley Sager is a best selling author, I expected to like his writing style, and although I wasn't a fan of all the things he has written in this particular novel, I do admit that his words are easy to follow and the book reads easy and fast.
To give you and example how fast it reads, I will just say that it was our August pick for our book club and instead of planned 7,
Maiden Misty's Musings
In the wake of her roommate being murdered by The Campus Killer, Charlie decides to leave college and return home. Putting a flyer on the Ride Share board, she meets Josh Baxter, who just happens to be going her way. Things start getting dodgy when Charlie discovers Josh is using a fake name and lies about his employment. She starts to think he is the serial killer. Facing a long, dark drive with a killer, Charlie has to find a way to survive.

That was one long, boring car ride. I wanted to get o
Dana
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok guys ... don't come for me ... but I didn't love this 😲 I'm a HUGE Riley Sager fan but this one just didn't do it for me. I just found the premise so hard to believe and clearly that was a me issue, but I just couldn't shake it. If my friend was murdered and the killer was still out there I really couldn't see myself accepting a six hour car ride from a complete stranger. No mam, no sir! And while I realize there couldn't have been a storyline without this, it was just so hard for me to let g ...more
Kay
Aug 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐
Oh, my head hurts. Is Charlie one of the worst unreliable narrators or what?

Charlie is going home after the death of her best friend/roommate by The Campus (serial) Killer. She needs a ride from New Jersey to Ohio and through the college ride board, she hooks up with a good-looking stranger who's giving her a ride.

During the trip, it's tricky to tell whether something actually happens or just Charlie's imagination. Charlie is a film student with many movie-related fantasies. Also, this is t
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Let me just start by saying that I LOVED this one! Riley Sager is one of my all time favorite thriller authors, so I was dying to get a copy of Survive the Night. I’d seen some mixed reviews come in from other early reviewers, but I didn’t read any of them prior to reading the book, because I wanted to go in fairly blind. I’m glad I did, because I ended up absolutely loving this one. Of Sager’s 5 novels, it’s up there at the top of the list with me as one of my favorites of his!

After the murder

• The Serial Killer’s Wife
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • The End of Her
  • Confessions on the 7:45
  • House of Correction
  • Teen Titans: Raven (Teen Titans, #1)
  • Where the Grass Is Green and the Girls Are Pretty
  • The Ivies
  • The Score (Off-Campus, #3)
  • Project Hail Mary
  • A Dark and Secret Place
  • Magpie Murders (Susan Ryeland, #1)
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • Forever Wild (Wild, #2.5)
  • Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
  • かくかくしかじか 3 (Kakukaku Shikajika, #3)
  • かくかくしかじか 5 (Kakukaku Shikajika, #5)
See top shelves…
Riley Sager is the New York Times bestselling author of six novels, most recently SURVIVE THE NIGHT and HOME BEFORE DARK. His first thriller, FINAL GIRLS, won the ITW Thriller Award for Best Hardcover Novel and has been published in more than thirty countries. His latest novel, THE HOUSE ACROSS THE LAKE, will be published in June.

A native of Pennsylvania, he now lives in Princeton, New Jersey. Whe

Articles featuring this book

“All my books come to me, first of all, as a character in my mind and as a story that I want to tell. But how you tell that story, there are...
“Women need to do that, you know. Look out for each other. There’s a special place in hell for those who don’t.” 11 likes
“Meeting people is easy. Keeping them around is the hard part.” 10 likes