Start by marking “The Wrestle: Poems of Divine Disappointment and Discovery” as Want to Read:
The Wrestle: Poems of Divine Disappointment and Discovery

The Wrestle: Poems of Divine Disappointment and Discovery

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  11 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"...things don't work out like you wished. Like you hoped for. Like you prayed for. Crisis comes. Trauma visits. And you find yourself lost for words and invited to discover God in a new kind of way."
This collection of poems explore the life-giving and often painful experience of wrestling with God, religion and one's place in the world. David Tensen draws from empathetic
Published November 2020 by St Macrina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wrestle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrestle

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of The Wrestle: Poems of Divine Disappointment and Discovery
Craig R.
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow... I have thoroughly loved reading The Wrestle.
You can’t take someone on a path you have not journeyed down yourself. David’s words strung together in verse, I found, unlocked doors in my own heart and emotions. Like a mime being watched your brain and heart takes on what is expressed relating it to oneself, recalling moments, maybe forgotten or lost in time as well as moments raw and recent.
Some of the verse giving expression to feelings you can’t quite describe yourself, although you hav
Nozi Khanda
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you had asked me a few months ago I would never have said that I was a fan of poetry. There were very few poems I could relate to. A lot of it was just a bunch of words. That was until I came across David’ Tensen’s poems shared on Facebook by a friend. They really captured me and I immediately liked his page to see more. I then discovered that the wrestle was coming out and couldn’t wait to read it. It has been such a special read. I will be reading this book for years to come because i feel ...more
Alicia Corrigan
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I would love to start by saying wholeheartedly a HUGE thank you to David Tensen for writing this book! This collection of poetry is truly a gift to the world! It’s honest, raw, relatable and inviting. It’s the kind of book where you could cozy up with a cup of tea and devour page after page after page. It’s also the kind of book that stops you in your tracks after reading a verse or phrase that finally puts language and words to a thought or question you may have been struggling to articulate. I
Michael Gamez
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible read. Truly an adventure. The Wrestle is an invitation to journey distant lands of vast terrain, and to embark for meaning at sea (sometimes placid and sometimes billowing). Tensen goes straight for the heart, awakening memories, emotions, and inner conflicts that many of us don’t know how to put words to.
And the most beautiful part is that it’s an outpouring of his own life and personal experiences. The poems and stories had me captivated; sometimes in a stillness where quie
Keshet Lang
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
David Tensen shares intimate thoughts and emotions, inspired by personal experience, exquisitely woven together into this remarkable book of poetry called ‘The Wrestle’.

I’ve been truly blessed to read ‘The Wrestle’ in its entirety; a book I could not put down and one I will definitely pick up again and again, as every page contains words of gold!

5 out of 5 stars — highly recommend

On a personal note. I want to thank you David for sharing this book with the world; for I can see how thought-provoki
Bronwen Healy
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then you come across a book that you don’t just read, it reads you. This is one of those books.
David writes from the depths of his heart and soul and invites us in to our very own wrestle of discovery, journey, truth and ultimately (for me anyway) - freedom. I felt seen, known and loved by the words, the invitation to unravel and the permission to me truly me.
I am grateful for this book and look forward to many more from David.
I highly recommend this book to every person willing
Ericko Tandayu
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I read this book, felt like it liberates some part of my sould deep inside. Brings me into an deep emotional journey of who I am.
I have not been reading poem for a while, its so refreshing to read it again in a way that brings you closer to your maker. I will need to read it several times to uncover the hidden mysteries beneath, been really enjoying it.
Abby Young
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Many of these poems spoke to me on a level I didn’t know was possible with literature. At a time in my life where I have a lot of thoughts and concerns locked up in my head, I felt myself sighing, crying & exhaling through this book. Thank you David. You are an extremely gifted poet.
Deb
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's not everyday you come across a book that speaks to your heart, and helps you unravel the knots within.
A real, raw read that invites you to wrestle well. Written with words of hope, each page a haven for healing.

lluke
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, incredibly deep, incredibly apt.
Pete
Dec 31, 2020
Linda
Jan 01, 2021

• The Fault in Our Stars
  • Trouble in the Village (Tales from Turnham Malpas #8)
  • A Village Dilemma (Tales from Turnham Malpas #9)
  • The Help
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Book Thief
  • Whispers In The Village (Tales from Turnham Malpas #11)
  • Intrigue In The Village (Tales from Turnham Malpas #10)
  • A Village Feud (Tales from Turnham Malpas #12)
  • The Village Green Affair (Tales from Turnham Malpas #13)
  • A Village Deception (Tales from Turnham Malpas #15)
  • The Village Newcomers (Tales from Turnham Malpas #14)
  • A Village in Jeopardy (Tales from Turnham Malpas #16)
  • A Country Affair (Barleybridge #1)
  • Country Wives (Barleybridge #2)
  • Country Lovers (Barleybridge #3)
  • The Love of a Family
  • The Pastor's Husband
Australian poet David Tensen brings form and beauty to our deep spiritual yearnings. Drawing from decades of experience in pastoral care and spiritual development, his poems have found their way into hearts of every age across the globe. Raw, honest, accessible and prophetic, David's writings both uncover pain and bring healing to it. ...more