Start by marking “You Were Made For Me” as Want to Read:
You Were Made For Me

You Were Made For Me

YA author Jenna Guillaume is back with a fun and modern feminist twist on the 1985 pop cult film Weird Science.

Sixteen-year-old Katie Camilleri can’t believe she’s accidentally created a teenage boy. A boy six-feet tall with floppy hair and eyes like the sky on a clear summer’s day. A boy whose lips taste like cookie dough and whose skin smells like springtime. A boy compl
Published April 1st 2021 by Peachtree Publishing Company (first published August 11th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about You Were Made For Me, please sign up.
Mia (A Happy Little Bookworm)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of You Were Made For Me
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Let's summarise. Single Katie wants a dreamboat boyfriend for her very first kiss. So what happens when you wake up in the middle of the night with six feet of solid, yet alluringly strange boy hunk in your bed? Freak the hell out.

A dash of handsomeness, a pinch of blonde dreamy locks, a sprinkle of smoking hot body and generous amounts of kindness and you too can create your very own Guy. Of course there's more to the recipe and lots of sciencey goodness but now Katie has a very real and very m
Lanae❀
Thank you so much to Publisher Spotlight and Jenna Guillaume for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.

"You Were Made For Me" by Jenna Guillaume describes the story of sixteen-year-old Katie Camilleri who just created a boy with Libby, her best friend and at-home scientist. Katie hasn't had her first kiss yet, but that's because she wants it to be with the perfect boy, so she can have the perfect first kiss. And that's where the boy they created, Guy, comes in. Guy had beautiful
Kelly
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-arcs

That last scene definitely gained the fourth star in my rating. Without it, this book would have been just okay. I was waiting for it for a long time but I'm not disappointed because it was so freaking cute. I just wish we had more of it and not just the one scene ;) Still, it was a really good ending to a silly book following a girl who managed to create "the perfect boy" from mud by accident.

I have to say, I wasn't really a fan of the main character Katie. I found her very self-cent
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

You Were Made For Me kind of reminded me of a movie. Which I think there is one for this certain book. Possibly by Disney? Not sure.. but I have a feeling that there is one and two girls made the perfect guy. Well, don't get surprised because that's exactly what happens in this book.

In it, you will meet Katie and Libby. They are the best friends anyone could ever have.. and they have a funny little group at school. If they
Books
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So it 7pm tonight I thought I'd just read something lighthearted and fun, new Jenna Guillaume... I loved her debut so hell yes!!

It's now 10.40pm and I binge read the whole book 🙈

I loved this book so much. I love the authenticity of the characters. I ADORE the sense of humor. I love the meaningful lessons and quotes interspersed into the story. I love the Australian culture shining through. I love the Ace representation ❤ I just love this.

It's an emotional rollercoaster in the best way possible
Aly
All I needed to know about this was that it was inspired by the film Weird Science and I was in! I love that movie and the idea of creating the perfect person is so fun.

Katie and her best friend Libby accidentally create the perfect guy; he's totally devoted to Katie, he's sweet, and he looks like a long lost Hemsworth brother. You would think Katie would be ecstatic, but instead she's unsure of Guy (the pretend boy come to life) and problems begin to arise.

I can see where having someone whose
Amalie_reads
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One night Katie and her friend Libby dream up the perfect guy. A six-foot tall guy with floppy hair and eyes the colour of the sky on a clear summer’s day. Basically a fourth Hemsworth brother who is absolutely devoted to Katie and perfect but he was never meant to exist.

After Katie comes home that night that’s exactly what she finds in her bed. Her perfect dream guy who she names Guy. But how is Katie going to hide him from the rest of her friends and family and who would actually believe her s
Star
I honestly don't know when the last time I laughed that hard while reading a book. Yikes, my jaw HURTS so much right now from the amount of laughing I did.

This was an absolute GEM of a book and I am SO glad that I got to read an advanced copy courtesy of Pan Macmillan Australia via Net Galley. This has not impacted my thoughts or opinions.

Full review to come when my sides stop hurting and I can form a coherent sentence other than "that was bloody amazing".

(view spoiler)
Becca Fitzpatrick (bookscandlescats)
Jenna Guillaume is an amazing author. I loved her debut, and absolutely couldn't wait to read this one when I got my hands on it.

I binge-read this novel in one sitting. It's a lighthearted, humorous YA tale that made for a great story.

I loved the characters, the general wriring style and the representation included in the book.

Thank you so much to Panmacmillan for providing me with a copy of this book.
-`ˏ Galaxi Faerie ˎ´˗
-`ˏ 4 Stars ˎ´˗

Storyline -`ˏ 5/10 ˎ´˗
I’ve spent a good portion of this book constantly trying to figure out why the plot sounds so familiar. Saw people compare it to the movie Weird Science. I like the idea of it being more of a rom-com version of Life Size. There’s also a movie that actually has two female characters building the perfect fake boy but at that time I couldn't remember what it was called (Later found out it was the Disney movie - How to Build a Better Boy). There’s no need to beat
Alyce Caswell
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Katie and Libby accidentally create a hot guy (with science! and clay and a kiss) and his purpose in life is to dote on Katie and be the perfect boyfriend. While this should solve Katie's never-been-kissed problem, it threatens to tear apart her life and her friendships.

Well, I loved this. It's like Weird Science for girls in the 21st century! And thankfully this is a much more progressive tale than a 1980s iteration - diversity
Kahlia
If I had to summarise this book in a word, I'd say it was juvenile. This book is clearly aimed at mid-older teens (given the focus on sex and related issues), yet it's full of fart and poop humour that feels more appropriate for a twelve year old, and the little asides from Kate and Libby felt like they were trying too hard to be funny. All of the characters felt very one-dimensional as well, particularly the antagonists, who could have been cut and pasted from any teen rom com.

I will note that
Caitlyn Lynch
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-com, australian, ya
The plot of this reminded me a little bit of the 80s movie Weird Science, where a couple of geeks create a ‘perfect woman’ through computer hackery and an accidental power surge. In You Were Made For Me, it’s two girls, Katie and Libby, who create a ‘perfect boy’ through a combination of Katie’s clay modelling skills and some accidental alchemy from Libby. Katie’s the driving force here, the primary storyteller (though Libby interjects occasionally) and the one who needs a ‘Hemsworth’, because K ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Katie yearned for her first kiss, and she wanted to share it with a dreamy and dedicated boyfriend who adored her. Then one stormy night... it actually happened! Katie and her best friend Libby created a boy who was made just for her, but she soon began to question how this perfect boy fit into her life.

After loving Guillame's previous release, What I Like About Me, I was eager to read her follow-up. Once again, I was treated to a fun and funny story which had a ton of heart. F
Tiarna Georghiou
'You Were Made For Me' was a fun and unique read that made me smile and laugh. The idea of a girl accidentally creating a boy was super cool however, I didn't love the book. I thought the characters were realistic which was wonderful! But they annoyed me at times and I didn't really connect with any of them. I also didn't love the writing style as it was very conversational, but I know that other people love reading books written that way!

Overall, I did enjoy this book but I didn't love it.
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish, I absolutely loved this, and tore through it in about 24 hours. I adore Jenna’s dedication to being unapologetically Australian, as its so far removed from the YA I grew up with, which was either American, or Australian but written with an American audience in mind. I also love the almost parental love and responsibility you can feel Jenna has for her young readers, her desire to treat her audience lovingly, inclusively and with respect. She does it effortlessly, without we ...more
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thank you so much to Pan Macmillan Australia for providing me with a copy of You Were Made for Me, in exchange for an honest review!

Actual rating 3.5 stars

Kate is 16 and never been kissed.  She's certain she's never going to meet the perfect boy, and she knows exactly what that perfect boy would be like.  She's even gone as far as to make him out of clay, with her best friend Libby.  But that night something ultra weird happens when Kate goes to bed. Laying her clay boy down next to her and givi
Elizabeth
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts are gonna be scrambled so bear with me.

The first half of this book was so cute and fun! I'd love to see it made into a movie, maybe even a made for TV movie. I, personally, am very much here for the 'Whoops! I accidentally made a hot love interest!' trope, and I loved Guy. I would die and kill for Guy. Whatta guy. Also a plus that this is an Aussie book by an Aussie author, and some ace rep was in there too.

The second half of the book was definitely a lot more emo than the first half
pagesofchapters
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
*arc received from netgalley*

From the very beginning of this book it immediately gave me 2012 wattpad vibes. I felt that the boy who was “made” could have been Harry Styles of Cameron Dallas in a y/n fanfiction so I was very hesitant to continue because that isn’t exactly the kind of romance I’m looking for as someone in their 20’s. With that being said, I did appreciate a lot of other elements in this book. I really enjoyed the friendships we got to see and I think the banter between the two “n
Sofia Casanova
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Were Made For Me is one of the most delightful books I've had the pleasure of reading this year! Jenna is an incredible writer and is quickly becoming Australia's queen of teen rom-coms.

Our protagonist Katie has never been kissed and wants her very first one to be perfect with the perfect boy. So when her best friend Libby and herself accidentally create a boy who happens to look like Hemsworth brother, has the personality of a very happy Golden Retriever and he's utterly devoted to Katie,
Ellie King
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You Were Made for Me is a fluffy and fun YA contemporary read that made me feel 16 all over again and was entirely giggle inducing. The entire concept of creating a pretend boyfriend one night with your girlfriend and then waking up with said boyfriend alive and naked in your bed is a quintessential rom-com movie plot. The story is told in conversations between friends, Kate, Theo and Libby, which is an interesting way to tell the story and does take a little while to get used to. ⁠

This book is
Bron
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one of my most anticipated YA releases for the year and did not disappoint. This book is filled with all the same humour and charm that made me fall for What I Like About Me, with an added twist of magic and perhaps a bit more kissing.

There is just something easy and open and friendly about Jenna’s writing. I loved the narrative style in this novel, and thought the cast of characters we meet along the way was wonderful.

If you’re after a sweet, funny, sometimes cringe-y romcom, then I really
Tegan Siân
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the perfect light hearted read I was looking for and I just couldn't put in down and finished it in one sitting.
I really enjoyed how the story was told with our main character, Katie, leading the reader through the events with interruptions from her best friend Libby with both character voices easily recognizable. It was a wonderful way to tell the story as it felt so true to how two teenage girls would respond but also pull the reader in like a story being told at a sleepover. I
Mirelle
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Jenna is fast becoming the queen of the #LoveOzYA rom-com, and her second novel is a testament to that. While this is a very different book to What I Like About Me, it is just as enjoyable and I fell more in love with it the more I read. Jenna is now definitely one of my auto-buy authors!
Alicia
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was like a gender swapped modern retelling of Weird Science, and pretty fun.
Esther
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book it was adorable and funny and who at one point didn't want their fantasy dream guy to be real?? ...more
Jennifer Hottinger
Such a fun read! I just ❤️ @JennaGuillaume ‘s writing! She makes me laugh! Creation of a gorgeous, perfect “Guy” may have benefits and... Hmmm... You will need to read this book and find out where this science experiment goes!!
Lauren
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was delightful . Katie was a smart, relatable heroine, and her story was a really charming, fun read.
I loved the relationships between Katie and Libby, and Katie and Theo. The book was a feminist retelling of Weird Science(which I still haven’t seen...I know, it’s a cult classic). But even if you haven’t seen the movie, you can still enjoy this well-paced, rollicking ride.
Would highly recommend, especially if you are looking for something fun and light.
laur gluchie
Nov 10, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
I have received a digital Advance Reader’s Copy of this book through NetGalley. This has not affected my rating in any way.
Ngoc
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did! It was like Taylor Swift’s You Belong With Me come to life in book form, with the vibe of a 90’s rom-com, mixed with Isn’t It Romantic. And I LOVED all the subtle nods to Australian culture like magpies, Tim Tam slams & the million ways you can pronounce ‘mate’.

Full review to come on my blog!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Before the Beginning
  • The Greatest Hit
  • Please Don't Hug Me
  • Tuck Everlasting
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The F Team
  • Metal Fish, Falling Snow
  • When Rain Turns to Snow
  • Stars Like Us
  • Marked (House of Night, #1)
  • Rodham
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Jenna Guillaume is a journalist and author who grew up in Wollongong and now lives in Sydney.

By day, Jenna writes about very important things like pop culture, identity, feminism, social media, and her fave OTPs for publications such as BuzzFeed, Junkee, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Guardian. By night she writes Young Adult fiction, binges Netflix and spends far too much time on Twitter.