Start by marking “Alter Ego” as Want to Read:

Alter Ego

Pounding on the door. My seven-year-old son shaking me awake. My head fuzzy with sleeping pills. The hallway flashing with blue light. This morning my life will change forever.

Published October 17th 2020 by Bellenden Projects

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 17, 2020
    Enter to win one of 100 copies of Alter Ego, the début novel by KA Masson!

Pounding on the door. My seven-year-old son shaking me awake. My head fuzzy

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 413 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 12 - Jan 24, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Alter Ego, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alter Ego

Start your review of Alter Ego
    ChopperCrimeBooks
    Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    “My alter ego does not look in to great a mood today” – Simon de Pury

Alex Kendrew is juggling single parenthood, work and dating; with a wild, impetuous streak that’s hard to keep in check, she struggles to find a balance and feels perpetually guilty for the choices she makes.

In K.A. Masson’s domestic noir thriller, Alex b
    janine
    Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Alter Ego by KA Masson
    I give this book 4 stars
    Single mum Alex Kendrew is juggling a busy life,looking after her young son Ned, working as an independent photographer and attempting online dating.After a series of disasters she rekindles a connection with someone. But then one morning, the police arrest her for his attempted murder. Someone is framing her; can she prove her innocence as the evidence mounts against her?
    A brilliant debut novel that l just wanted to keep on reading.The storyline an
    Becky
    Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    A fantastic read! This book is longer than what I usually read, but, wow! did it keep my attention! Alex, a single mom juggles her life as best she can. Her son, Ned. Her work, independent photographer. Her on line dating. There are alot of characters in her life, but I found them all quite interesting and fun to read about. This book is super realistic.
    I was surprised to hear this is a debut novel. It is excellent! Will watch for more from this author.
    I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary cop
    Helen Bridgwood
    Woah! Wow!
    Just finished Alter Ego after a sleepless week of not being able to put it down.
    I found the start a real eye opener into the life of internet dating and the life of a single parent then the twists and turns of events leading to the final nail biting moments.
    Highly recommend this.
    Natalia
    Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    James
    Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    Any book that name checks Matt Johnson’s The The, and in particular Uncertain Smile, has got to have a lot of things going for it, right? In fact, this book, Alter Ego, the debut thriller from English writer K.A. Masson, is peppered with plenty of musical references throughout its taut narrative, with two of the story’s main characters at one point going through their Spotify playlists and cranking out some banging tunes, with no decade being left out. But it was the The The reference that sat w ...more
    Sharon Williams
    Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Wow I don't know where to start with this book as it was so good, but I would like to thank @author_kamasson for kindly inviting me to read her book and give an honest review.

I can honestley say I was gripped from the first page and not many books can do that. We start with Alex kendrew who is a single mother living with her 7 year old son ned trying to wake his mother from a deep sleep as the police are banging on there front door. They have come to arrest Alex for the attempted murder of her b
    Kelly
    Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I received a free copy of this book from the author to read and review.

Thrillers have become a dime a dozen, but Alter Ego stands out from the crowd! I didn't know quite what to expect when I started reading, but the book started with a bang. The story is all about Alexandra Kendrew, single mom to seven-year-old Ned, and a photographer that owns her own business. She's woken up early in the morning by a pounding on the door, and it's the police, there to arrest her on attempted murder charges. T
    Mindy
    Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Emily Keough Publicity and K.A. Masson for a gifted copy of this psychological crime drama in exchange for an honest review!

Alter Ego is a wild ride filled with sexual tension, romance, police proceedings, and a mysterious whodunit. You really can't trust any of the characters, which makes the suspense leading to the reveal of Mal's attacker that much more intense. I couldn't even thoroughly trust our own main character and narrator, Alex.

I found some of the sexual scenes to be a bi
    Sharon
    Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I thoroughly enjoyed this domestic thriller, it begins with the lead character, Alex, a single mum, being awoken by the police pounding on her door and subsequently arresting her (in front of her young son) for the attempted murder of her lover.
    What follows is an exciting, at times sexually explicit, story of internet dating as a single mum who is also a freelance photographer and who is fighting to prove her innocence.

The story goes back a few years and this adds to the suspense as well as enab
    Jay Williams
    Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
    The style of writing is smooth and the language devoid of British idioms. The story starts with a bang, then dissolves into a series of graphic sex descriptions. By the end it revealed a murder mystery and an attempt to frame the main character. the sexual activities continued to provide details that were not germane to the story, but provided lots of filler material. The characters were were interesting, but drawn from a different side of life. I couldn't find any likeable character other than ...more
    Chocoviv V.
    Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
    At first, I found the long, descriptive and seemingly mundane relationships a bit overwhelming. I was looking forward to the crime solving part of the story. So, when her relationships turned south, I got hooked.
    Actually, many of the clues were hidden in her relationships that were connected to the real murderer. I couldn't guess who it was, so I had to keep reading!

Note: Sexual assault and verbal abuse was in parts of the story.

Carly-Rae London
    Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This novel is a debut and definitely worth a read. Author K. A. Masson did an amazing job crafting this plotline as I have not been able to put it down, and when I do, I sneak a peek back it! 😊 Authors always want to know if their books keep you up because you can’t stop reading. Well, Author K.A. Masson, I stayed up and lost sleep just to read one more chapter!

Jessica Stone
    Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Single motherhood, London, dating, music...all topics near and dear to my heart.

K.A. Masson dissects--with unapologetic honesty--the inner turmoil of wanting to be a good mother while also yearning to be true to herself as a woman. She writes with such emotional precision, that you're able to step inside Alex's world and experience it from all its varied contours, and against the backdrop of a vibrant London few people truly get to see. And did I mention it's really sexy?
    Booksandcoffeepleasemx
    Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
    This story was fascinating and brilliant, I was engaged since chapter one and couldn’t stop reading.
    A great debut from this author and I can’t wait to read the next one.

Thank you Emily Keough Publicity and KA Masson for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Richard Mander
    Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
    An entertaining read. I did guess the outcome but that didn’t detract from it.
    Emily
    Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: adult-lit, thriller
    This book hooks you in by starting at the end and then bringing you back through the events that led up to the action, with a definite twist at the end!

Alex learns that her boyfriend Mal has been attacked when she is arrested for his attempted murder. After her arrest, we follow her back through the relationships and events that brought Alex and Mal to this point--and it is a long, winding road, full of abusive boyfriends, harassment, and even (!) faked deaths. This book is not for the faint of
    Mel Pretorius
    Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A satisfactory thriller. "Alter Ego" by KA Masson starts of with an arrest for attempted murder and then back tracks until we end up at that place and then what unfolds after the arrest.

Masson provides an insight into the dating scene (not particularly pleasant), so really happy when the main character meets someone "normal".

It took a while to work out who the culprit was and then it was a race to the end.
    Aimee Dars
    Alter Ego has some of my favorite elements in a thriller—a London setting and a falsely accused protagonist.

Alex Kendrew, a single mother and photographer, is roused from a pill-induced sleep by her young son, Ned. Police lights and sirens pierce her consciousness, and she’s arrested on suspicion of attempted murder of an old flame. As she protests, we are taken back four years in time to see how Alex has arrived at this point.

Though she loves Ned, Alex seeks fulfillment with a romantic partner,
    Katy
    Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I really enjoyed reading this book. The ending wasn’t what I thought it was going to be and took me for a curve. I just want to say thank you to the author for donating a copy of this book to my little library so that others in my neighborhood can enjoy this book as much as I did!
    Diane Plant
    Dec 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book.

That is a book is not worth reading, I did not finish it..
    Ankita
    Dec 12, 2020
    Linda
    Oct 16, 2020
    K.A. Masson
    Oct 19, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Mary Lawrence
    Nov 16, 2020
    Neer
    Nov 24, 2020

• Before She Disappeared
    • The Coffinmaker’s Garden (Ash Henderson, #3)
    • Sleepless
    • Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters
    • The Return (Forgotten #1)
    • The Cousins
    • The Push
    • Amid Rage (Mike Jacobs, #2)
    • A Strict Adventure (Strict #5)
    • The Essence of Senescence
    • Combustible Punch
    • My Final Breath
    • Savage Saints MC: Original Gangsters Boxset Vol. 2
    • Sweet Little Lies (Cat Kinsella, #1)
    • Forgive Me
    • Sister Witch (Dysfunctional Family of Witches, #2)
    • Weathering With You
    • Tao Te Ching
    Thank you for your interest in my book.

I live in London with my teenage son and our black cat Slinky, and have worked in design for over 20 years, bringing to life the words of others. I began writing Alter Ego almost by accident. I emailed Faber Academy on a day when someone had just pulled out of their ‘Start Your Novel In A Week’ course. Without that stroke of luck, I may never have got further