Start by marking “The Captain's Midwinter Bride” as Want to Read:

The Captain's Midwinter Bride

Is the bride he left behind ready to be his wife?

Kindle Edition, First, 114 pages
Published November 12th 2020 by Liana De la Rosa

To ask other readers questions about The Captain's Midwinter Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain's Midwinter Bride

Start your review of The Captain's Midwinter Bride
Grace
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy read, and I really enjoyed the slightly different setting with a more middle class and older couple reconnecting. I would definitely read stories about their children (especially Beth and Henry Ramsgate).
Elodie
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holiday Novella series #1
Liana De La Rosa
Release date 11/12/2020

𝗕𝗹𝘂𝗿𝗯

Life at sea sharpened Captain Phillip Dalton into a shrewd and strategic military man...yet none of those skills prepared him for the intricacies of planning his daughter’s upcoming Christmas wedding. His family, most especially his wife, are all but strangers to him thanks to his service to the Crown. But if Phillip finds himself bewitched by his practical, c
Lana Birky
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Phillip & Annalise were married 25 years ago in an arranged marriage. Her father & Phillip's father were best friends & when Annalise's father died when she was eighteen; it was suggested Phillip marry her to save her from being alone & he would take a wife soon anyway. The Captain continued his career on the sea protecting crown & country - spending much more time at sea than at home. Now, 25 years later, he is retired his son & daughter are grown & his daughter is about to get married. Phillip ...more
Kristin
I picked up this novella because the premise intrigued me, and it did not disappoint. This is easily my favorite historical holiday novella I've read this year, and certainly in the top 3 of all of them. It's worth noting though that it's not very holiday-heavy, besides that it takes place around Christmas.

Phillip and Annalise have been married for 25 years. It was essentially a marriage of convenience, and Phillip was a naval captain who was mostly off at sea. When Phillip retires from the Navy
Andree
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Needed something light last night, and this was perfect. I'm generally a sucker for reuniting spouses anyway, so this really worked for me. I also liked how, well, calm the whole thing was. Which doesn't sound like a compliment, but it is. There is drama in the story, but it doesn't bog the story down. (view spoiler) But I suppose the real purpose ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute little Christmas novella where two people reunite once again. Estranged spouses haven't been living together since the start of their marriage life because Phillip had to travel at sea because of work. Now he has retired and is back home, but he's still trying to figure out how he fits in his wife and daughter's life.

It was so soft seeing him want to be there but didn't know how to approach. Annalise also wanted him in her life, but neither could actually voice it out becau
b.andherbooks
After I heard this was a delightfully warm and comforting novella featuring a 40-something married couple who fall in love while planning their daughter's Christmas wedding, I had to have it. And it sure didn't disappoint. I'm a sucker for a gruff sea captain, especially when he really just loves his wife a lot.

Highly recommend.

CW: discussed past forced kiss/fear of assault
Crystal Cook
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020b
4.5
Claire
Glad to have stumbled on this book via an Instagram post! A lovely and warm story featuring "mature" leads who talk to one another about their problems and only have a few instances of assuming they know what the other is thinking. Annaliese and Phillip have been apart for most of their marriage and have to learn to live together again. Phillip also realizes that things at home were not as rosy as he was led to believe, but thankfully no revenge is needed. The secondary plot with their daughter ...more
Claire Marti
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liana de la Rosa is a 1-click author for me and her latest offering is a delight! Annalise and Phillip are a married couple who have a second chance or maybe it is actually a first chance at love. He's a dashing Captain who has been away more than he's been home and now that he's retired, he and his beautiful bride have the chance to reconnect and truly fall in love. Where their marriage was an arranged match, now it has the opportunity to become one deepened by love.

A lovely setting, sparkling
Zena
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well Written!
Ah! I had to get to the end of the story to fully understand the message in it's title. Brilliant!
Wonderful and strong characters in the Captain, Phillip and his wife, Annalise and an interesting one in their daughter, whom we watch grow and mature into another strong character.
I began to detest the characters of the meddling and opinionated would-be mother-in-law and her wimpy son which was probably intended.
All these characters go to make up a very clever and interesting story whi
Aj
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story was engaging and enjoyable to read. I like being surprised by a new author, and I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. (and such a gorgeous cover!)

Captain Phillip Dalton and his wife Annalise were wonderfully written characters, thoughtful and respectful towards each other. Phillip returns fully retired after 25 years of service to the sea and country.

He now has to learn how to navigate his family dynamics, in particular getting to know his wife again, and she getting to know hi
Claudia Pinillos
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much!! This was my first Liana De la Rosa book and I will certainly be picking more up in the future.

This is a lovely tale of a couple that has been married for a long time reconnecting. Though, through the nature of their arranged marriage, this is really about them connecting for the first time in a true way. Phillip is back after years away at sea and ready to settle into life at home, except he feels like a stranger in his own house due to all the time he's spent away.
Christi (christireadsalot)
The Captain’s Midwinter Bride is described as a holiday novella but really just takes places during winter. It doesn’t have a lot of holidays activities going on besides the couple reminiscing about their winter wedding years back and helping their daughter plan her own winter wedding. It is a super sweet novella-length historical romance that is a little bit second chance for an already-married couple who just haven’t had time together. I just want to point out it’s not super holiday-y if you g ...more
Pj Ausdenmore
If you're looking for a quick (114 pages) holiday romance with mature characters, heart-tugging emotion, passionate chemistry, and a sigh-worthy happy ending, this one's for you.

I really enjoyed the depth of emotion in this novella. Marrying for convenience at a young age, with Phillip leaving soon afterward for sea, and infrequent shore leaves over the course of his career, he and Annalise are more strangers than husband and wife. They've been wed for 25 years and have two children but they've
Janet
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Life at sea sharpened Captain Phillip Dalton into a shrewd and strategic military man...yet none of those skills prepared him for the intricacies of planning his daughter’s upcoming Christmas wedding. His family, most especially his wife Annalise, are all but strangers to him thanks to his service to the Crown. Annalise raised two children, Oliver & Beth and built a comfortable life for herself while her husband of convenience provided for them from afar. But now Phillip's home to stay, and she ...more
Courtney
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The Captain’s Midwinter Bride is a lovely standalone holiday novella from Liana de la Rosa to tide us over between full length books (the next one is out in spring 2021). I was immediately drawn to the concept of a second chance romance between an estranged older couple.

It was really sweet to see Philip reckoning with the fact that he was absent for his military career and he’s missed a lot, not only wi
Margaret
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Phillip and Annalise have been married for twenty-five years. After her father's death, they married quickly for her protection, a marriage of convenience. During most of that time Phillip was at sea with His Majesty's Royal Navy. In his profession, he constantly left Annalise to cope with raising their children and the difficulties of day to day living. Retiring as a Captain, he's been home only a few weeks to find himself in the middle of his wife planning their daughter's wedding. Soon relati ...more
Ruchika Mahajan
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was short sweet read about a married couple who had an arranged marriage 25 years ago. Philip was away for most of the time leaving Annalise to raise their two children on her own. Now he has retired and returned home for good. Both are adjusting to each other's constant presence. Children have drifted apart from Philip as they grew older. Daughter is about to get married and is angry towards her father for not being around while growing up. Annalise tries get best to diffuse the tension.
The
Nicole Strycharz
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adorable Christmas Read

This one was on my Christmas reading list and I pinned it to the top. Omg it was so worth it. My only complaint is that it was too short but honestly it was perfect because it delivered all the feels and wrapped up neatly. In this case short was good because everything was well paced and plunged me into the holiday mood!

I really like this author, it’s my first book by her, and I definitely intend to read more of her work!
Lisa C
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, heartfelt and true to life story of a family reunited after years of military service. Captain Phillip Dalton has retired and come home to find his family planning a wedding and for the first time he feels lost at sea. Annalise Dalton is pleased to have her husband home, but not sure of her place anymore and where he will fit in. For a novella this story explores many facets of this families journey, and yet does not feel rushed. Can't recommend enough.
BROWN2
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful story that unfolds like a fairytale. While trying to rescue their daughter's heart, Annalise finds hers. After years of marriage, two children and missing life with his family while at sea, Phillip can finally retire and admit his true feelings to his one true love.
Maria
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
A very sweet short read. It was nice to see a mature couple discover their love without dwelling on conflict or angst. Don't get me wrong when I say 'sweet', there IS some sex, but it's not the driving force behind the story. I liked it, and now am curious about the daughter's story.
Sadie
Nov 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Hard book to rate - I enjoyed the premise and the characters but this book was like if 2020 people were magically acting out 1800s lives. Incredibly self-aware and everything is very 2020 woke kind of vibe.

I want non-problematic characters who are still of their time I guess.
Tabs
Nov 24, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF’d around 30%. This started strong but for a short book it needed tighter pacing. It wasn’t holding my attention.
Rose
Review to come!
Amy Alvis
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sea captain finally retires and will now be spending more time at home. Can these two build a new life together? This was a very enjoyable, quick read!
ireadalot
Nov 20, 2020
Affie
Nov 18, 2020
BookFlirt
Nov 25, 2020

• My Last Duchess (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #0.5)
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Scandal (Have Yourself a Merry Little... #2)
  • Her Night with the Duke (Clandestine Affairs, #1)
  • Wrapped Up in You
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast (Sins for All Seasons, #6)
  • The Perfect Arrangement (The Not So Saintly Sisters, #4)
  • A Duchess a Day (Awakened by a Kiss, #1)
  • Winter's Wallflower (The Wicked Winters, #8)
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Secret (Have Yourself a Merry Little... #1)
  • Maid Under the Mistletoe (The Mapleton Family Saga, #1)
  • Booked for Christmas: A Short Story
  • Lady Reckless (Notorious Ladies of London, #3)
  • 'Twas the Night Before Scandal (The May Flowers #8)
  • Missing Christmas
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)
  • His Beauty
  • Winter's Woman (The Wicked Winters, #9)
Liana De la Rosa is a historical romance author whose stories are set in the Late Regency and Victorian periods. Her books feature unique characters, witty heroes, and intrepid heroines, always with a touch of spice!