Start by marking “The Captain's Midwinter Bride (The Daltons, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Captain's Midwinter Bride (The Daltons, #1)

The Captain's Midwinter Bride

(The Daltons #1)

Is the bride he left behind ready to be his wife?

Kindle Edition, First, 114 pages
Published November 12th 2020 by Liana De la Rosa

To ask other readers questions about The Captain's Midwinter Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain's Midwinter Bride

Start your review of The Captain's Midwinter Bride (The Daltons, #1)
Warda
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorable!
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I need more stories about partners making their marriage/relationship work.
Jessica
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

This was SUCH A CUTE Christmas novella! I have been wanting to read more romances between people who are already married and are facing struggles, and that's what this one is! Phillip is a captain and has spent most of their marriage gone at sea, leaving Annalise to struggle with keeping up the household and raising their two children all alone. Now, their daughter is getting married and Phillip has retired and they are learning more about each other.

This was just so dang cute and I
Emilia Redington
Jul 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
3.5☆☆☆☆
The downside of this story was that it was too short.

I so wanted to see more of those two, and the daughter 's story as well.

But for a novela this was absolutely good.

*as a rule I never rate novelas higher than 4 stars, it doesn't feel right.
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
What a lovely Holiday novella! Really liked that the MC’s are both in their 40’s and married. This was a beautiful story.
Elodie’s Reading Corner
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Captain's Midwinter Bride
Holiday Novella series #1
Liana De La Rosa
Release date 11/12/2020

𝗕𝗹𝘂𝗿𝗯

Life at sea sharpened Captain Phillip Dalton into a shrewd and strategic military man...yet none of those skills prepared him for the intricacies of planning his daughter’s upcoming Christmas wedding. His family, most especially his wife, are all but strangers to him thanks to his service to the Crown. But if Phillip finds himself bewitched by his practical, c
Grace
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy read, and I really enjoyed the slightly different setting with a more middle class and older couple reconnecting. I would definitely read stories about their children (especially Beth and Henry Ramsgate).
Jaclyn
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much!!!! I loved watching Philip and Annalise slowly start to reconnect and get to know each other again! It was so incredibly sweet! It was also a bit refreshing to read about older characters! I hope we get a story with Oliver and Beth finding their HEAS!! I feel like we need a story for Henry and Beth!! I’m excited to read more form this author! This was such a feel good, family story! Perfect to quickly read for Christmas!
Katie
I enjoyed this! It's one of those quiet sort of stories that's about just NICE people. It was a marriage of convenience and he's mostly been gone during their marriage, but they made it work and now he's back and, yeah, just a nice story.

Though it's weird that the daughter's story wasn't really resolved? Will there be more? (view spoiler)
Lana Birky
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Phillip & Annalise were married 25 years ago in an arranged marriage. Her father & Phillip's father were best friends & when Annalise's father died when she was eighteen; it was suggested Phillip marry her to save her from being alone & he would take a wife soon anyway. The Captain continued his career on the sea protecting crown & country - spending much more time at sea than at home. Now, 25 years later, he is retired his son & daughter are grown & his daughter is about to get married. Phillip ...more
Kristen Keats
I picked up this novella because the premise intrigued me, and it did not disappoint. This is easily my favorite historical holiday novella I've read this year, and certainly in the top 3 of all of them. It's worth noting though that it's not very holiday-heavy, besides that it takes place around Christmas.

Phillip and Annalise have been married for 25 years. It was essentially a marriage of convenience, and Phillip was a naval captain who was mostly off at sea. When Phillip retires from the Navy
Andree
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Needed something light last night, and this was perfect. I'm generally a sucker for reuniting spouses anyway, so this really worked for me. I also liked how, well, calm the whole thing was. Which doesn't sound like a compliment, but it is. There is drama in the story, but it doesn't bog the story down. (view spoiler) But I suppose the real purpose ...more
sil ♡ the book voyagers
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute little Christmas novella where two people reunite once again. Estranged spouses haven't been living together since the start of their marriage life because Phillip had to travel at sea because of work. Now he has retired and is back home, but he's still trying to figure out how he fits in his wife and daughter's life.

It was so soft seeing him want to be there but didn't know how to approach. Annalise also wanted him in her life, but neither could actually voice it out becau
b.andherbooks
After I heard this was a delightfully warm and comforting novella featuring a 40-something married couple who fall in love while planning their daughter's Christmas wedding, I had to have it. And it sure didn't disappoint. I'm a sucker for a gruff sea captain, especially when he really just loves his wife a lot.

Highly recommend.

CW: discussed past forced kiss/fear of assault
Christie
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love historical romance and books about married couples reconnecting, you have to read this!

Usually this trope can be pretty angsty but this was definitely more on the sweet and heartwarming side. It follows Phillip and Annalise reconnecting after he retires from the navy. They’ve always had respect for each other but never really felt like a married couple because he was away so much, and that dynamic was really interesting!

There was also a subplot with their daughter and her engagement
Heidi
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was lovely. I haven't read many romances about a married couple learning how to reconnect after many years apart, but this was so sweet. A perfect light read. I also loved Beth to pieces, and I really hope that we get to read her story someday. I haven't read Christmas novellas before this year but I think it's gonna be a new tradition because they're so addicting. ...more
Penny
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was like being wrapped in a warm blanket. A bit repetitive, but I want to read more from this author.
Meg
This was a sweet, easy romance. Nothing earth-shattering here, and the prose was a little Writing 101, but it was a pleasant read about a married couple reconnecting (a underrated romance trope).
Cara Bristol
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
After a life spent at sea, Captain Phillip Dalton retires from the navy and returns home to Annalise, his wife of 20 (?) years, who is basically a stranger due to his long absences. Both wish to get to know the other but worry about whether they'll be accepted.

While romances between older (40s) H/h who have been married a long time are not the norm in Romanceland, what really makes this book stand out is the lack of conflict. The characters like & respect each other, and while they have a few d
Claire
Glad to have stumbled on this book via an Instagram post! A lovely and warm story featuring "mature" leads who talk to one another about their problems and only have a few instances of assuming they know what the other is thinking. Annaliese and Phillip have been apart for most of their marriage and have to learn to live together again. Phillip also realizes that things at home were not as rosy as he was led to believe, but thankfully no revenge is needed. The secondary plot with their daughter ...more
Claire Marti
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liana de la Rosa is a 1-click author for me and her latest offering is a delight! Annalise and Phillip are a married couple who have a second chance or maybe it is actually a first chance at love. He's a dashing Captain who has been away more than he's been home and now that he's retired, he and his beautiful bride have the chance to reconnect and truly fall in love. Where their marriage was an arranged match, now it has the opportunity to become one deepened by love.

A lovely setting, sparkling
Zena
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well Written!
Ah! I had to get to the end of the story to fully understand the message in it's title. Brilliant!
Wonderful and strong characters in the Captain, Phillip and his wife, Annalise and an interesting one in their daughter, whom we watch grow and mature into another strong character.
I began to detest the characters of the meddling and opinionated would-be mother-in-law and her wimpy son which was probably intended.
All these characters go to make up a very clever and interesting story whi
Kat ❅
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this and I definitely want to read more from this author! This is a romance where our couple are already married but are re-learning each other because our hero is a sailor who has been away most of their marriage. This novella packed a lot in but it never felt like too much. Whenever I go into a novella I'm a little worried about how the author will balance the plot and that was done super well here. I loved how they navigated their daughters engagment and I loved how the hero tr ...more
Aj
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story was engaging and enjoyable to read. I like being surprised by a new author, and I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. (and such a gorgeous cover!)

Captain Phillip Dalton and his wife Annalise were wonderfully written characters, thoughtful and respectful towards each other. Phillip returns fully retired after 25 years of service to the sea and country.

He now has to learn how to navigate his family dynamics, in particular getting to know his wife again, and she getting to know hi
RachelReadsandSings
Dec 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Omggggg this was such a sweet marriage in trouble romance and I’m so glad that I FINALLY read it. I loved seeing Annalise and Phillip come back together (after Phillip has been away for most of their marriage) not only as lovers but as amazing parents as well. They are such a lovely couple and the ending was so perfect 🥰🥰🥰
Claudia Pinillos
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much!! This was my first Liana De la Rosa book and I will certainly be picking more up in the future.

This is a lovely tale of a couple that has been married for a long time reconnecting. Though, through the nature of their arranged marriage, this is really about them connecting for the first time in a true way. Phillip is back after years away at sea and ready to settle into life at home, except he feels like a stranger in his own house due to all the time he's spent away.
ReadWithE
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5. Loved this. I wish it had been a smidge longer to dig deeper into a couple things but overall a sweet read.
Cheryl
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow
Liv
quite cute but also pretty unmemorable
Alina
Jun 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another incredible read. I love reading about stories about couples who work on their marriages.

Things I want to read about:
Beth and her mystery guy
And resolving the financial stuff between the MC's in-laws. It felt incomplete.
Kim
Nov 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really adorable and sweet novella about a marriage of convenience turning into a marriage of love 20+ years later.

(Just as an aside: I would really love to know what happens to Beth and Mr. Ramsgate - if anything!)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Miracle on Ladies' Mile
  • The Bride Goes Rogue (The Fifth Avenue Rebels, #3)
  • A Rogue to Remember (League of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Earl of Christmas Past (Goode Girls, #1.5)
  • When She Was Naughty
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • A Matter of Temptation
  • The Night She Disappeared
  • Sleigh Ride (South Florida Riders, #6.5)
  • What the Hart Wants (Headstrong Harts, #1)
  • Natalie Tan's Book of Luck & Fortune
  • A Notorious Vow (The Four Hundred, #3)
  • The Heiress Hunt (The Fifth Avenue Rebels, #1)
  • The Devil's Own Duke (Wallflowers vs. Rogues, #2)
  • Mary's Musket (Clover Creek Caravan, #2)
  • Hannah's Hanky (Clover Creek Caravan, #1)
  • The Earl Takes All (The Hellions of Havisham, #2)
  • Duke I'd Like to F...
See top shelves…
Liana De la Rosa is a historical romance author whose stories are set in the Late Regency and Victorian periods. Ana María and The Fox, the first book in her Latinx Victorian era Luna Sisters series, is out April 4, 2023!

The Daltons (2 books)
  • On a Midsummer Night (The Daltons, #2)