Start by marking “Yet a Stranger (The First Quarto, #2)” as Want to Read:
Yet a Stranger (The First Quarto, #2)

Yet a Stranger

(The First Quarto #2)

When Auggie Lopez returns to Wroxall College, he’s determined that his second year will be different from the chaos he faced as a freshman. He’s living in the Sigma Sigma house, he’s got a good group of friends, and his social media presence is growing. Meeting a hot older guy on move-in day is just the cherry on top. All he has to do now is avoid getting dragged into anot ...more
Published December 15th 2020 by Hodgkin and Blount

To ask other readers questions about Yet a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yet a Stranger

Start your review of Yet a Stranger (The First Quarto, #2)
Leslie
I realize I never wrote a review of book one, even when it came out all together in one book instead of the serialized version I read. And now I’m about to do the same thing with this one. Because I’m just not in a reviewing mood. I’ll try to come back and write reviews for both eventually.

This one I also read as a serial through the author’s newsletter.

For now I’ll just say this:

I am totally in love with Auggie and Theo. Damn Gregory Ashe for continuing to write such frustrating duos. Guys wh
Caz
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This second book in Gregory Ashe’s The First Quarto series first saw the light of day as a daily serial for members of the author’s newsletter, and I have to say, the day-to-day wait was frequently torturous!  Told in alternating PoVs, the story catches up with Wroxall College student Auggie Lopez and graduate student/TA Theo Stratford, who, in They Told Me I Was Everything (which should be read first) found themselves theorising over King Lear while working together to solve a murder and fo ...more
Alisa
Don't let the juvenile-ish looking cover fool you. This is not a light hearted story about two college guys. This is angsty and heart breaking in places. These two love each other but are both messes and need to get themselves together. There is also a murder mystery running throughout. This book can not be read as a standalone. You need to read book one first. ...more
Rheo
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't like the starting very much. To be specific the thought of Theo with Cart made me want to hit something. But, as the book continued there were more Theo-Auggie scenes so it was bearable. The ending was the best part though. It was becoming quite clear Cart was a closeted dickhole that didn't deserve Theo, and that Theo was starting to realise it.

My favorite was August. I just loved him to bits. And Dylan. What an asswipe.

I'm starting to realise Fer is a bad influence on me 'cause some o
Terri Jones
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Whew.

Okay.

So the thing that I like best about these two characters is that they are each doing the best they can, in their individual ways.

But Auggie is... well. Auggie. And Theo, whose life has been less than easy, is caught up because it's Auggie and he can't help it. And, there is all this other stuff going on, see Content Warning below for part of that. And, as with the first book, I like where this one ended (though I made a sound that startled the cat). I wish the third one was out alre
Bryoney McKenna
So we are back again with Auggie, a undergrad student and aspiring social media star, and Theo, a grad student and widower who hasn’t quite figured out what to do with emotions. I had a little trouble getting into this pairing in the first book but man, did they hit their stride here. Not together, of course (At least not at the start of the book. At they end…. Who knows? No spoilers here!). No, of course not. This wouldn’t be a Gregory Ashe book if there wasn’t a slow burn and time wasted with ...more
Shelby
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading this one chapter per day, as it's being serialized, was a bit like self-inflicted torture. Not being able to read ahead when it's at a really good spot. Not being able to read ahead when it's at a really bad spot.

Dylan was something, wasn't he? Some of those scenes were hard to read, and having to deal with the alternating POV switch, so having to wait 2 days to find out if the other shoe was going to drop was almost nauseating.

I can't wait for the next one in this series, and of course
Katrina
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
C
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I need more Auggie and Theo!! Again this is series is everything! Ashe as it’s best. But really , nobody has any idea when we can expect Book 3???
Chris
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed these two books ... I love Gregory Ashes work - witty, clever and consuming. This is all about the connections here, throw in some mystery, vulnerability and snark. Loved it ❤️
Em
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
so, so, so, so very good.

AAR review to come.
Claudia
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, mystery, romance, lgbt, m-m
I was lucky enough to read this as a serial, one chapter a day, and it was amazing! If by amazing you mean that I screamed a lot, bang my head against a lot of hard objects and had to suppress the urge to hit some sense into the characters' head. Yeah... that kind of amazing :P

Auggy and Theo are both very complex, very hurt characters. They come from very different backgrounds (although some of their experiences are the same) and there is an age-gap that isn't so big, but it really seems like it
Joyfully Jay
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Yet a Stranger is the second book in Gregory Ashe’s The First Quarto series. The story picks up at the start of Auggie’s second year and catches us up with what the men have been doing since the end of They Told Me I Was Everything. It doesn’t take long before Auggie and Theo are right back where they were: in the middle of a murder investigation. Ashe is a great mystery writer and this story has some interesting moments as we follow the twists along with Theo an
Agalactiae
4,25/5

C'est vraiment difficile de suivre une histoire pour moi dévoilée au compte-gouttes, chapitre après chapitre. D'autant plus lorsque c'est Gregory Ashe aux commandes ! J'ai attendu d'avoir suffisamment de chapitres sous le coude pour me lancer ^^

On reprend l'histoire là où on l'a laissée, enfin oui et non. Nouvelle rentrée pour Auggie et qui dit nouvelle rentrée dit, nouveau mystère et qui dit nouveau mystère, dit réunion du duo de choc formé par Auggie et Theo !

Mon cœur a fait un bond lors
Carey
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This second book in the Quatro series set in the fictional town of Wahredua picks up in the Fall after the events of the first book. Auggie and Theo are back to being “friends” but their attraction to each other burns through the story. Caught up in a murder investigation, police corruption and personal issues they have to learn to trust each other to come out alive.
This book is a hard read in the sense that it deals with some really tough issues such as drug abuse, physical and psychological a
Ioana
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Here is is.
The vacation is over and we are back in Wahredua. Auggie is a sophomore, and Theo is assisting a red nosed dead boring professor, as he is no longer trusted with his own classes.
The plot is set in motion by Orlando’s (Auggie former roommate) request — for Auggie and Theo to help find his brother who had disappeared for a longer period of time than usual.
The story is a perfect opportunity to bring forward aspects of (gay) life
This Curly Arab
Shelves: arcs
This is book 2 of The First Quarto Series that follows Auggie, an undergrad student, and Theo, a grad student, who find themselves yet again trying to uncover a mystery. This time Auggie’s friend Orlando’s brother is missing and these two think they can find him.

In this episode we see a closer friendship develop between Auggie and Theo. Auggie also begins to find his footing when it comes to being his own person and Theo seems to be going through all the motions of existence without any of the
Sandy
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even though I read the majority of this as it was being serialized by the author, it was worth going back and reading the whole thing at once. The constant push/pull between Auggie and Theo is so frustrating, but never to the point that I stop rooting for them. Their issues are so complex and ingrained that I appreciate that there are no quick fixes. Like real life, they take a step backward for every two steps forward.

The murder mystery plot was well executed as always. It's a trip seeing the
Dokun888
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked this part even more than the first one. The characters seems so real and the chemistry was on point. Man, the number of times characters got beaten up though...

Loved how the title made sense after some verses from Romeo and Juliet in this book XDD

Also, need to put this out here, I'm in the "no armpit hair" team XD (unless you dye it pink and braid it)

Oh and I was reading this story a chapter per day as the author was sending them in the newsletter and gotta say they made my mornings Q.Q
kathleen
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is Gregory Ashe slow burn at its best. The tension and chemistry he has created between Auggie and Theo is addictive. I can't get enough.
Once again these two are caught up in murder and trouble. The murder mystery carries the reader along for the ride, I couldn't put this book down.
Buckle up and get ready for a rollercoaster of a ride!
KerriLee
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read as a serial and every chapter was a cliffhanger. I really enjoyed the torture of reading it like this.

As for the story, I’m still obsessed with it. That mysteries in each book so far have been just enough to keep me guessing and the character development has been top notch. I really love how Gregory Ashe gets both just right. Can’t wait for book 3!
TheBlueFlower
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent storytelling. But no matter how cute he’s being portrayed as, Auggie just comes off as a terrible and immature person. You can only make so many mistakes before people actually do not want to be around you in real life. He made the experience of reading the book a bit annoying. I’m taking a star away for that. But overall a good book.
Peche Esse
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Required a bit more suspension of disbelief than book one, but still an interesting look into the slow burn relationship of student Auggie figuring out life and TA Theo ... figuring out life. And solving a mystery.
Jacquie
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this as part of the quarantine stories chapter a day emailing list. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to more Theo and Auggie.
Jackson Garton
Goodness, Auggie and Theo are a m e s s.
Wangari
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been on leave since the 23rd & I have only managed to complete one fucking book!! FML

Love Auggie & Theo- please give them a happy ending GA!
BB
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku-or-free
Hell yeah, newsletter serial is starting up again!

Thanks for your generosity, Mr. Ashe
Jan 04, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• Merry Measure
  • Angels in the City
  • Black Moon (Hamarsson & Dempsey, #3)
  • Love & Other Inconveniences
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • Merry Cherry Christmas
  • Lacuna
  • Watch Me
  • Play Dirty (Wages of Sin #2)
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • Three Is the Luckiest Number
  • Long Shadow (Hamarsson and Dempsey, #2)
  • Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • Just a Bit Wrecked (Straight Guys, #11)
  • Conspiracy Theory (Hamarsson & Dempsey #1)
  • School of Fish (Fish Out of Water, #6)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
I'm a long-time Midwesterner. I've lived in Chicago, Bloomington (IN), and Saint Louis, my current home. Aside from reading and writing (which take up a lot of my time), I'm an educator.

While I enjoy reading across many genres, my two main loves are mystery and speculative fiction. I used to keep a list of favorite books, but it changes so frequently that I've given up. I'm always looking for reco

The First Quarto (3 books)
  • The Slightest Folly (The First Quarto, #0.5)
  • They Told Me I Was Everything (The First Quarto, #1)