Jump to ratings and reviews

Bewitched

The eternal dance of attraction, lust and love has been going on since time immemorial.

The divine apsara Menaka descends to Earth at Indra’s behest to distract the sage Vishwamitra from the penance that would bring him unimaginable powers. Menaka succeeds in bewitching Vishwamitra, but her actions are destined to have dire consequences for both.

Eons later, their story is set to repeat itself.

Poorva has always played by society’s rules and ideas of decorum. But what happens when her own loved ones betray her in the worst way imaginable? Does she still have to remain bound by their rules?

What happens when these two diametrically opposite souls are brought together by fate?

In the game of power, lust, greed and betrayal, some win and some lose. But are there any winners or losers in the game of love?

Like Menaka and Vishwamitra, are Poorva and Rudra too destined to see their story end in tragedy? Or will the divine power prevail?

260 pages, Kindle Edition

Published November 4, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ruchi Singh

35 books120 followers
Author of the bestselling romantic thriller ‘The Bodyguard’, Ruchi Singh is an IT professional and novelist writing under Romance and Suspense genre. She is a bilingual author and writes in both Hindi and English. Her other notable published novels are ‘Jugnu (Firefly)’ and ‘Guardian Angel’.

Winner of the Times Of India WriteIndia Season 1, she began her writing career writing short stories and articles, which have been published on various forums. She has been a contributing author to a number of anthologies and has published many short stories under various genres. She has also won the Indireads Story Competition, in ‘crime’ genre.

A voracious reader, she loves everything—from classics to memoirs to editorials to chick-lit, but her favourite genre is 'romantic thriller'.

Connect with Ruchi Singh on:
Official Website: ruchisingh.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ruchisinghauthor
Twitter: @ruchiwriter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews
November 27, 2020
Many Thanks to the author for introducing this book to me.

Bewitched by Ruchi Singh is gonna leave you BEWITCHED. 🤩 🤩 🤩

The mythological story of the ‘apsara’ Menaka sent to the earth to break the intense puja by the sage Vishwamitra is well known, but I have never read it with so much fun. Ruchi Singh brilliantly interlaces humor into the age-old story weaving a beautiful tale in the contemporary times.

Rudra as the quintessential hero never letting a woman or an emotional entanglement into his life was simply marvelous. The initial impression of his high-handedness made me want to crack his head but it was a pleasure to read about the growing love between Rudra and Poorva. The cantankerous comments by the grandfather added to the joy.

Poorva is a woman of today’s times, strong and sure of her needs and wants. Rudra’s interference in her life gives Poorva the much-needed impetus to take stock of her priorities and helps her in gaining courage to face all the challenges head-on.

Ruchi Singh has brilliantly portrayed the dilemma faced by Poorva and her turmoil in breaking the vows to which she has always adhered to. The secondary love story between Nayak and Mansi also added to the charm. This is my second book by the author and what I find commendable is the ease with which the story unfolds. It is extremely easy to lose oneself in this loving story of second chances and trusting one’s heart.

The enjoyable love story that combines equal parts humor and depth, Bewitched is a must read for all fans of romance. You may never know, a ‘ghungroo’ may bring a handsome prince to your doorstep. 😆 😆 😆

Highly recommended.

This review is published in my blog https://rainnbooks.com/, Goodreads, Amazon India and twitter.
Profile Image for Rubina.
Author 16 books84 followers
April 16, 2021
This book is one of its kind. Very fascinating. The way the author has walked parallel in the two worlds of contemporary romance and mythological romance is just awesome. The opening party scene is so beautifully written that you are just pulled into the story. The hero is an alpha while Poorva is a strong woman. That's the main thing I loved about her books. This is no damsel in distress. The flow of the story is superb with a lot of nail-biting moments. Being a HEA you know that that the characters will meet at one point in time. But the path is what made this a very interesting read. I hope the author, the versatile writer that she is, brings more out in this line. Loved it.
Profile Image for Sundari Venkatraman.
Author 72 books219 followers
November 20, 2020
I was bewitched by Ruchi Singh’s latest book!
I have always been a fan of the author’s writing and I pre-ordered this book on Amazon because I fell in love with the cover.
Once I began to read, I simply couldn’t stop. Rudra and Poorva’s first meeting drew me into the story well and truly. And I was also curious to know how the author had connected the myth of Vishwamitra-Menaka’s relationship and this contemporary romance. I wasn’t disappointed, but I will leave it to the readers to find out as I don’t want to give any spoilers.
I loved the heroine and the depth of her emotions. As for the hero, Rudra’s character arc is phenomenal. It made for wonderful reading as the relationship built between the two despite all odds. Kudos to the author for creating such a beautiful, hot and bold romance. Loved the book, Ruchi Singh!
Profile Image for Devika Fernando.
Author 57 books186 followers
November 5, 2020
This is the first time that I've read a romance novel that combined the contemporary main story with a secondary 'historical' story rooted in Indian mythology. It was intriguing and well done.
That aside, I loved the chemistry between Poorva and Rudra. These two are a great example of 'opposites attract', and of people learning to listen to their heart. I kept rooting for their happy ending. I also applaud the author for having the heroine save herself and come out on top, instead of waiting to be saved.
A truly entertaining read, chock-full of emotional ups and downs!
Profile Image for Adite.
Author 9 books342 followers
March 29, 2021
I love the author's romantic thrillers and was eager to pick this one up as it had an intriguing storyline. Ruchi has given an interesting twist to the billionaire romance trope by adding a mythology element. Kudos to the author for pulling it off and giving the reader a "paisa vasool" entertaining read!
Profile Image for Njkinny (Njkinny's Blog).
745 reviews175 followers
November 10, 2020
Read the complete review here: https://www.njkinnysblog.com/2020/11/...

Bewitched by Ruchi Singh is the new romance novel that incorporates the timeless Indian mythological fable of Menaka and Vishwamitra with a parallel story running in the present time to give the readers a unique, exciting, and entertaining love story full of bewitching moments that will leave you wanting more!

This is the first book that I have read where an author has experimented with a mythological tale and used it as a theme for a contemporary romance. I absolutely enjoyed revisiting the evergreen, immortal yet heartbreaking tale of love between the heaven nymph, Menaka and an earthly sage, Vishwamitra. Both the Hindu mythological tale and the contemporary romance run parallel and had me intrigued and glued to my seat throughout.

I have been a big fan of Ruchi Singh’s writing and absolutely loved her books like “Jugnu“, “The Bodyguard“, “Guardian Angel“, “Take 2“. With this book she has gone a step further and made me fall for her writing even more. A not-to-be missed author, go checkout her books and read them now!

All in all, Bewitched by Ruchi Singh bewitched me, sucked me in right from the start, and took me on an emotionally rich journey of self-discovery, fighting against injustice, listening to your heart, and sacrificing in the name of love. A book with all the feels, a total entertainer and a definite entry into “Njkinny’s List of the Best Books of 2020“, I give it 4.5 out of 5 super shiny stars and Njkinny recommends this amazing romance to all people looking for a feel-good, inspiring, and engrossing love story!
Profile Image for Leena Varghese.
Author 12 books61 followers
December 4, 2020
It was an absolute delight to read Ruchi Singh's latest! Bewitched has everything that I love in a story-lucid, elegant writing that burns with understated incendiary passion. It was a tricky theme, with the protagonists stepping over a line that usually doesn't resonate with the idealistic framework of romance novels. But it was handled with remarkable adroitness, on a tight leash. In fact, towards the end I felt that it became more than just a romance novel.

The characterisation was deep and layered. If Rudra was a dark hero in the beginning, he redeemed himself beautifully later. The relationship between the protagonists was beautiful.

However, it was Poorva who was the perfect light that overshadows everyone in the story. I loved her! She was everything I admire in a heroine-strong and yet gentle. She rises out of her own ashes like the legendary phoenix and takes control over her destiny. She was classy and as dignified as a queen, quite unlike the rabble-rousing feminists who belligerently crush anything walking around with an XY chromosome. She cleverly topples everything in her wake, and stakes claim on what is rightfully hers without losing her inherent kindness.

It was an engaging tale running on parallel tracks, merging at the last point, quite excellently executed by the author!
Profile Image for Arti.
614 reviews100 followers
November 17, 2020
This story alternates between real life and mythology, and very seamlessly we read the love between Vishwamitra & Maneka and Rudra & Poorva. And both the stories move in parallel without confusing the reader.
I loved the characters and their development. The backstories are detailed and give an insight into the insecurities and explains their behaviours. I admired Poorva’s strength. The characters from her other books make an appearance and I loved recollecting those stories as well. I would love to read Samar’s story too.
The story is fast paced and has been written in a simple language and the twists and turns make it unputdownable
Profile Image for Preethi Venugopala.
Author 30 books149 followers
December 23, 2020
Ruchi Singh always creates vivid worlds for her characters. Each story turns out to be unique both plotwise and narration wise when she is the writer. In this book , Ruchi uses two different storylines, one mythologocal and another contemporary. Both grab your attention equally and keep you turning the pages till you reach the end.
All the characters are well developed. I loved Rudra the most. Even sub characters have been given unique traits that make them memorable.
Recommended if you are a fan of Indian romances.
Profile Image for Amreen Shaikh.
404 reviews8 followers
November 17, 2020
Good read

Wonderful plot. A very different concept and a unique way of telling story where two stories are running simultaneously one is present and other from dev lok.
Vishwamitra and Meneka to Rudra and Poorva.
A very strong base to the story with little mischief from modern days.
One more from Ruchi 👏👏👏
Profile Image for Angela Peixoto.
520 reviews15 followers
November 12, 2020
A very "bewitching" story by Ruchi Singh that has a fantastic combination of Indian mithology and modern romance all within the same book. And I was fascinated by Poorva's strength.
Another winner by the author.
Profile Image for Ruchira Khanna.
Author 15 books50 followers
December 7, 2020
Bewitched has an intriguing plot. The author captivated me from the first chapter, and there was no turning back. She has combined two genres: mythological and romance, and the concoction results in everlasting love with strong characters and lots of smiles from the reader.
Profile Image for BHAKTI GUPTE.
51 reviews1 follower
January 3, 2021
Rudra and Poorva depict the 21st century Vishwamitra and Menaka but both the stories move in parallel. Rudra is bewitched by Poorva when he first sees her in the role of Menaka on the stage and keeps watching the play in different cities when his busy schedule allows him to do so. He keeps her ghungroo all the way which accidentally comes his way during the performance. His only aim has become to have Poorva by hook or crook.

Poorva on the other hand is married since 18 to a man who had taken over her father’s business after his death. She looks after the orphanage and dancing is the only indulgence which she allows herself for once in her life. She is hell bent on avoiding Rudra; but living a loveless and childless life with the betrayal of the worst kind leads her to do something which she has never thought she could do!

We all know the fates of Menaka and Vishwamitra but whether they share it with Poorva and Rudra is something for you to find out!

The way in which the book is written and is co-related is something which was new and refreshing for me. The character traits depicted by the protagonists are read worthy with Rudra being the ruthless as well as a caring prince charming and Poorva being the ever uptight one. The story flows effortlessly and you will not put down the book once you start reading it. I am sure it will also give you butterflies in the stomach!!😉

Read my other reviews by clicking on the following link.

79 reviews3 followers
November 20, 2020
Bewitched by Ruchi Singh is a very enthralling contemporary romance novel that incorporates the timeless Indian mythological tale of Menaka and Vishwamitra with a parallel love story running in the present time between Rudra and Poorva. It is a very unique and intriguing read.

Plot:

The story very creatively alternates between real life new age love story and Hindu mythological story. Despite the two stories being discussed in parallel, there is no confusion at any point. The author has beautifully penned it.

The characters of Rudra and Poorva are well crafted and developed throughout the story. You will feel connected to the story. The language is lucid, easy to understand, the story is well paced which keeps the readers hooked to it.

This was my first read from Ruchi Singh. I really loved it and looking forward to read more of her work.
Profile Image for Esha Pandey.
Author 10 books43 followers
December 30, 2020
Ruchi Singh’s Bewitched has to be one of my favourite reads of the year 2020. I waited for the perfect time to read this fantastic billionaire romance. The cover was intriguing and so was the story line from the word go. The beauty of the celestial creature enthrals the reader and draws them in with perfect description of the samudramanthan. I was sceptical about the story being woven into a contemporary tale, but as the story progressed I realised that the author is a ‘seductress’ when it comes to words, much like Mohini. I read it in one go. You will fall in love with Rudra, I promise. Hold on to your heart as it races wildly with the crests and troughs of this sensuous romance. A perfect read this winter. Definitely recommend it to all the romantic souls.
Profile Image for Sadhana Wadhwa.
Author 6 books6 followers
December 16, 2020
Bewitching!

What a superb take on the ancient tale of love, longing and all things related. Ruchi has come up with a refreshing interpretation of the romance that Menaka and Rishi Vishwamitra shared. There's a smoothness in the way the perspectives of the tales change and you don't feel the gap at all. You can't help adore Rudra and Poorva but the second leads of sorts, Nayak and Mansi - they also catch and hold your attention. It actually felt like they should've been given a tad more attention.

Nevertheless, a must read !
Profile Image for Wanderinginbookworld .
165 reviews3 followers
December 18, 2020
This story is based on power, lust, greed and betrayals. It's interesting to see to what extent they go to fulfil their desires.
I liked the starting of the story but after that i didn't like it much.
The author tells the story of menka and vishwamitra in between so that part was interesting enough.
The characters were well built and the name is appropriately goes with the story.
65 reviews
December 29, 2020
💙Title-: Bewitched

💙Author-: Ruchi Singh

💙Genre-: Romance

💙Rating-: 🔹🔹🔹🔹/5

💙Review-: So found I the cover of the book 'bewitching' and different form crowd. The color combination are nice.
The story is filled with love, lust, money, greed and romance too. The story goes around two people Poorva and Rudra. Poorva was a girl, who was down to earth but always get hurted by her own family members. Rudra was a rich and powerful man, who plays with money and was totally opposite to Poorva. But her we knows opposite pole attracts each other and we see great love story between these two. And here is the mention of the legend story of Menaka and Vishwamitra, which was amazingly connected by the story of Poorva and Rudra.
The plot is very nice and the narration of the characters are good. The book sticks me up to complete it.
Allover a good read for me and reccommand to all for nice short romantic read
Profile Image for Honey & Anjali .
543 reviews52 followers
December 22, 2020
Bewitched: Billionaire Romance by Ruchi Singh revolves around two opposite people Poorva and Rudra. Poorva has always played by society’s rules and ideas of decorum but her own loved ones betray her in the worst way imaginable. Rudra plays with power and people like they are pieces on a chessboard. He has no qualms about indulging his desires, be it money or women, but is determined not to be bound by either. Things become a rollercoaster ride when these two opposites collide.

The story isn't something out of the box but it's still fun to read and I finished it in no time. The writing style is really good and I liked the pace of the book too. The characters are well developed. I enjoyed reading this one but I wish there was more.

Overall, it was a good one time read and I would recommend it to beginners.
29 reviews
December 31, 2020
Bewitched is a well-written book by Ruchi Singh. This story is based on power, desire, greed, and betrayal. It is interesting to see how far people can go to satisfy their needs. The story revolves around two persons, Poorva and Rudra. They are absolutely opposite to each other, Poorva has always played by the rules and wants decorum in society, but her loved ones have betrayed her in the worst possible way. On the other hand, Rudra plays with strength, and with people like they are the knights on a chessboard. He has no qualms about fulfilling his desires, whether money or women, but he is determined not to be bound by any of them. When these two collide, things end up becoming a rollercoaster ride.

The writing style of this book is alluring. The characters are well developed and I enjoyed reading this one a lot. Highly recommended.

Profile Image for Brunnette Book Shelf.
293 reviews20 followers
December 30, 2020
Don't you love a story that just sucks you in right from the beginning and keeps your attention right till the end? Well, one such book is Bewitched by Ruchi Singh.

It's much more than a billionaire romance novel. The story tells an emotional journey of our protagonists fighting their own battles, their attraction to one another, lust, love and betrayal in this world of power and greed. Through the modern tale of Purva and Rudra the author has very cleverly interwoven them with the story of Menaka and Vishwamitra on the ways they went on to fulfill their desires. Definitely worth reading!
December 30, 2020
Bewitched: Billionaire Romance, is an awesome book. The story highlights the love between Menaka and Vishwamitra, and how they went on to fulfill their desires. Another parallel story of Poorva and Rudra takes place, which has its own beauty. Finally, the author merges the two threads together, and the story is beautifully knitted due to that. The book is very intriguing. I finished the book much faster than I had expected, you can't just leave it once you've started reading it. The language used in the book is also quite vivid and very easy to get along with. Even, the title of the book adds on to the essence of the story. I'll definitely recommend this book to all novel-lovers over here.
24 reviews2 followers
January 12, 2021
Bewitched: ‘A billionaire romance’ by ‘Ruchi Singh’ is a book that revolves around the lives of Poorva and Rudra who are complete opposites. Poorva is someone who likes to follow rules while Rudra is someone who has power and treats people like they are no one. Their lives become like a rollercoaster ride when these two opposites collide.
The characters of the book are well developed and the writing style is simple. The book will keep you interested till the very end. The author has also connected the story of Menaka and Vishwamitra who are characters of Hindu mythology which makes the book more interesting.
Overall this is an amazing read and I would totally recommend this book.
Profile Image for Reet Singh.
Author 11 books82 followers
December 3, 2020
Such an entertainer!
A fab idea to intertwine mythology (the past) with the present - it worked quite well for me when, normally, I am not too taken with mythology.
Rudra is such a well etched character - ruthless when he has to be, but also just and kind. The transformation of Purva from controlled to controller is also brilliantly orchestrated by the author.
Ruchi Singh always surprises with the variety and inventiveness of her plots. Though syntax was a bit of a bother, the story was a delight. Must read!
61 reviews1 follower
December 29, 2020
Bewitched : Billionaire romance is written by Ruchi Singh. A very nice read. It's fast paced and I completed reading it way sooner than I expected. It's so engaging that I couldn't stop reading it once i started. The way author had connected the story of divine apsara Menaka and Vishwamitra with the story of Poorva and Rudra is unimaginable. I loved the way characters are portrayed, loved the way of writing of author, loved the way story takes turns, some situations are unpredictable. Overall it's a nice read.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Recommended.
Profile Image for Deepali Gupta.
308 reviews4 followers
January 1, 2021
The title and blurb really do want you to just pickup the book and read because it seems so intriguing. The cover looks amazing

The plot is nice. I really loved how the book had a great starting and then it flows. It gets a bit boring in between but really does pick up again in the end.

It was a emotional ride of being a romance, mythological and suspense.
The characters are portrayed simple and in a way you will surely relate to them.

There isn't much i want to say because i want you all to read it.
Profile Image for Luv2read.
206 reviews2 followers
November 27, 2020
Wah!! such nice book i read some of tour old books bodyguard .. Jugnu and many others... But this is something different from other.. I wonder how much research u put into this book. I believe that every story even some instances in our life will have some resemblance to the stories in mythology.... But relating life of apsaras mrnaka, shakuntala love story... And the comming back to rudras story it was reallly very nicely written. Superb book
15 reviews1 follower
November 12, 2020
Go for it

Refreshing.. wonderful plot woven around strong characters makes it a delightful read. Myth and reality blended smoothly.. after Jugnu yet another good one from the author.
19 reviews
Bewitching .....indeed

Hard to put down. Intelligently woven sentiments to take you to the lives of two beautiful women who are in different time frames yet their lives are similar in many aspects.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.