Start by marking “Someday” as Want to Read:
Someday

Someday

A mother's love leads to a mother's dream -- every mother's dream -- for her child to live life to its fullest.

A deceptively simple, powerful ode to the potential of love and the potential in life, Someday is the book you'll want to share with someone else...today. The perfect gift for Mother's Day, Graduation Day or Any Day - share a copy with every special person in y
Published February 27th 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Someday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someday

Start your review of Someday
JV (semi-hiatus)

Tinged with unconditional love and ineffable sadness, Someday is a beautifully written children's book that tugs at one's heartstrings. Although billed as a kid's books, there's more to this than meets the eye. Rather, this is a remarkable journey of motherhood.

Reynold's notable watercolour illustrations meld with McGee's writing style which was simple yet poetic.
"Someday you will hear something so sad that you will fold up with sorrow...

Someday you will call a song to the wind, and the win
Kathryn
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure how to review this book, to be honest. I think it's more a book for mothers than for kids, even though it's technically a children's picture book. It's about how a mother's love for her child continues to grow throughout the years, and all her hopes for her child (that country song about "I hope you dance" came to mind while I was reading it!) I mean, it's a beautiful sentiment and maybe if I were already a parent I would be more into it, but it almost just felt a bit "too" s ...more
David Schaafsma
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Neither Tara or I can get through reading this book to a kid without crying, This isn't saying so much for me, since I am kind of a sap, but Tara never cries... lovely, lovely book.
Krystie Park
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have one word for this book: beautiful.

Someday is a children's story illustrating the journeys of life, from birth to death. It is simply written, and yet it has a way of developing a complex and intense reaction from the reader.

After reading this story to my daughter, I cried and cried and cried... Tears of joy of course. It's a wonderful thing to picture your child as growing up happy, strong, and independent. What more can a parent ask for their child to be? However, It is equally as heart
Jenifer
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Feel like having one of those aching, painful, heart-swelling sobs trapped in your chest as you attempt to read aloud to your children??? Then read this book.
Pauline
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I do not think I would consider this book to be a children's book. It is a simple book with few words, but I believe it is for adults, for it will truly touch the heart of any mother who reads it.

It is about a mother watching her daughter grow up and eventually her daughter becoming old with silver hair thinking of her mother.

I may be wrong, but I think few children would be intrigued with this book, but definitely a good gift for mothers or for children to keep till they are older and able to
Stephanie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Someday your eyes will be filled with a joy so deep that they shine."

This is another one of those really emotional and sweet books that I'm pretty sure was written more for the parents than the kids. It's a very touching story with beautiful and whimsical illustrations about what the future has in store for the child. I will say, the ending is meaningful and all, but it was really a downer and kind of dragged the story down for me. I will also point out that the book is about a daughter, which
Megan
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tested up reading this. Going to be my new go to baby shower book.
Zack
Jan 10, 2016 added it
Personal response: I thought this was a very emotional book and talks about the lifecycle of a human being as a mother all the way to a grandmother. It is also very joyful and can be happy at times.

Plot: The plot of the story is about a mother has a child and watches her grow up to be older and she dreams about someday when she is older and leaves the house and grows up.

Characterization: there were mostly three characters in this story from mom the daughter and the grandchild. There was backgro
Malbadeen
Jul 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: sappy headed sap monsters
Recommended to Malbadeen by: Teachers workshop read aloud
Shelves: picture-books
After having been read this book aloud with soft music being played in the background and the reader getting chocked up over the words I think I can safely say I can't stand this genre. ugh!!!
The idea is to reflect or project on the fact that kids will eventually grow up and go away.
This book is like the Robert Muncsh book, "love you forever"
but less creepy.
Our "assignment" today was to write what came to mind during the book. Following are some of my t
Crystal Marcos
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Being a mom of a soon to be one year old, I read this book and got all choked up. I was actually a little saddened by it. Partly because last night I was planning her birthday party and thinking I can't believe she is already almost one! I don't feel this is a book for my baby girl but rather a book for my baby girl when she is all grown up. I realize she will do just that someday. Life moves fast enough. I gave it a three star because I did appreciate it and it is a reminder to enjoy life and y ...more
Robin
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Forgot to review this sweet one. This was a Christmas present for my 21 yo daughter. And yes, it has all the feels...there will be tears, both happy and sad. 😊😔
Favorite quote: “Someday you will look at this house and wonder how something that feels so big can look so small.” ❤️ Been there.
Beautiful artwork, wonderful book. 😊
Pretty much perfect. 4.5/5⭐️
Shakiba
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full of good sense , even in 21th year of my life <3 ...more
Max
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good book for mothers to share with their daughters. I cry every time I read this.
Ally McCulloch
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fresh board book that looks both to the future and the past.
Y.Poston
Beautifully written and illustrated
Kristiina
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely and very sweet children's book!
Frolie & Winnie
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the most frequently read books by mom.... I love this one!
Jana
With sweet simple text and comforting illustrations, this emotional picture book would be great to share on Mother's Day. But be sure to have a box of tissues handy. It's hard to read this ode to the stages of life and relationship between a mother and her child.
Mairead
FEELS. P.S. Sham read this to A and didn't like it because illogical.
Melanie Dulaney
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This beautiful picture book is one of those that is far more than a simple children's story. Certainly preschool-aged little ones will love to snuggle up with a care-giver and read it together, but teachers can use this book to inspire thoughts/compositions about future hopes and dreams (and isn't that the theme of many of Peter Reynolds' books????). Parents can give this book to their graduates or children leaving the nest. Such of wealth of opportunity contained in this light on words, but ful ...more
Chrystal
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a sweetly illustrated story of a mother telling her daughter all of the things she hopes that she will someday see her do or that her daughter will someday do. Honestly, it's so sweet and inspiring. It made my ugly cry. I even tweeted about the hot mess I was after reading it to my daughter and thinking of my own Mom. It's everything you want in a book to share between a mother and daughter.

Originally reviewed: http://www.snowdropdreams.ca/2017/05/...
Kathy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is my favourite keepsake book for new parents. It brings a tear to my eye every time I read it and I know that I will someday give it to my children when they have children of their own. It encompasses everything a mother feels, dreams and prays for her children from the moment they are born to the day she dies. I have no doubt that this will be a classic for many years to come.
Shannon Clark
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
This is a must read for all parents!! This was a gift from a student's parent a LONG TIME AGO, and I just now read it! Should have read it back then and read it to my daughter back then. Maybe I'll call her up and read it to her over the phone or invite her over and read it to her when she least suspects it! :)

The love of a parent never fades....
Nouf Alfadl
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Someday was and still is one of my favorite picture books.The illustration of the book is freaking AWESOME! You can even feel happiness, sadness, even LOVE from the pictures. I'll, for sure, read it for my future children hahahaha :P <3 ...more
Andrea Shurtliffe
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book about a mother watching her daughter grow up makes me cry every time I read it.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
GOOD IF U LIKE TO CRY
Ben Truong
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Someday is a children's picture book written by Alison McGhee and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. It is a beautiful book of a mother's musings about the unfolding of her daughter's life from childhood to becoming an adult and her desire for her daughter to live life to the fullest. Today is Mother's Day (13 May) at least from my part of the world and I thought this book would be apropos.

The text is rather simplistic and straightforward, albeit rather poignant. It's about a mother of a new-born
Elysian  Bookgraphy
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A mother’s love will never end, it is there from the beginning to the end.
Someday written by Alison McGhee & illustrated by Peter H. is a children’s book but in my opinion it is not just that, it is rather meant for adults. Someday is a beautiful book illustrating the journey of a human life from birth to death through a mother’s perspective. It is a story of a mother telling her daughter about what she hopes that she will someday see her do or that her daughter will someday do. Written in few
Emily Sims
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: This is a sweet book written from a mothers perspective. It is about a little girl and the things she currently does and someday will do. This story is a progressive story and the illustrations do a good job showing the changes in the little girl and her experiences as she grows up.

Evaluation: I enjoyed reading this book and think it is a good book to include within a lower elementary classroom. It is a cute book with well done illustrations that help guide the reader to understand the

• Happy Dreamer
  • When Sadness Is at Your Door
  • Waiting
  • Tomorrow Most Likely
  • If I Could Keep You Little...
  • The Wonderful Things You Will Be
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • Maple
  • Mama, Do You Love Me?
  • Potty
Alison McGhee writes novels, picture books, poems, and essays for all ages, including the just-published THE OPPOSITE OF FATE, a novel, and the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller SOMEDAY, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. Her work has been translated into more than 20 languages. She lives in Minneapolis and California.

News & Interviews