Start by marking “The Checklist” as Want to Read:
The Checklist

The Checklist

In an energetic debut novel about personal and professional chaos, author Addie Woolridge introduces a multicultural cast whose exploits are redefining the modern rom-com.

Killing it at work? Check. Gorgeous boyfriend? Check. Ambitions derailed by an insecure boss? Sigh—check.

Things were going a little too well for Dylan Delacroix. After upstaging her boss on a big account,
Published June 1st 2021 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about The Checklist, please sign up.

Start your review of The Checklist
Christy

I wanted to love this book, but I struggled with it so much. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I even liked it. First off, it was advertised as a rom-com. One of my biggest pet peeves is looking forward to a romance and finding out that the book has almost zero romance. This is definitely women's fiction/chick-lit. If that's what you're looking for, you may find much more enjoyment than I did. The writing wasn't bad, but the characters and the story fell flat for me.

Audio book source: Au
Jeeves Reads Romance
Boring - and NOT romance

Initially, I was enjoying this. The writing is solid and I love the representation. I also like it when a smart, driven heroine can't help but fall in love with the right guy. Unfortunately, it's not a short book, and it felt REALLY long. I found much of the story to be dreadfully dull and uninteresting, focused on a heroine that I didn't particularly like. And I have trouble calling this a romance novel because:
1. I wasn't confident that I knew who the hero was until ove
Amy | Foxy Blogs
The Checklist is the story of Dylan who is a corporate consultant. Like the book, the title implies she does have a checklist.

Her checklist includes:
1) making partner at her firm
2) getting a condo in Texas with her boyfriend

Her job has her going to Seattle to help a company that is failing. During that time she starts to discover her boyfriend is a snob and not someone she actually likes.

As the story moves along Dylan comes to the realization of what is important to her and what she really wan
Hilary Bunlert
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Perfect summer reading. I legitimately laughed out loud several times reading this one. As the heroine's overly-controlled life starts to unravel, you will find yourself cheering for her to embrace the mess and watch it land her where she needs to be, including into the arms of a swoon-worthy hero. Bonus points for the zany family members you can't help but fall in love with. ...more
G.G. Gleason
This was a closed door romance that seemed to focus on everything else except the couple that was supposed to be falling in love.

I did love the breakup scene, though.
diann bryan
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addie Woolridge is officially a must read Author!
This debut of hers is filled with laugh out loud moments and fun characters and an enjoyable storyline. 5 shiny stars

Ok! Now the story! Dylan makes lists and likes things that fit into her well put together life but when she’s sent on assignment back home to Seattle ,things go from organized to hell in a hand basket in record time.

So much love for this character and her adorable quirky family , work family, neighbors and friends.
This is a fun gro
saida
Prerana
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was an insightful read. I very rarely see a normal person in books as they mess up and try to fix it. Obviously everything worked out here, which doesn't happen in real life. But it was so refreshing to see someone struggle with things and have to work through it.

More than that, though, the thing that stood out to me was how the two MCs actually connected. Books tend to skate past the conversations and actions that actually cement the bond between the people, but this book really delved int
Lauren Salisbury
This just wasn't interesting enough to grab my attention. It doesn't read much like a rom-com: there's little to no romantic tension, we hear more about her not so interesting corporate job and tension with two different co-workers than her love life.

The title is a disappointing misnomer. I was hoping that there would be clever checklists sprinkled throughout as a narrative device but that is missing too. Instead we get mention of Dylan's history of making lists. It hardly even feels like a poin
seku
May 10, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2021
3.5 stars.

Okay. For a book called The Checklist, there was a sad lack of actual checklists. Like Dylan uses them to basically cope, she titles them for goodness sake, and we don’t really see anything about them at all. Telling me she checked something off in her head is not good enough I’m sorry.

Anyway, a romance this was not. We get one steamy make out, a fade to black sex scene, and then a literal good ending kiss. I thought I was gonna get spice, I did not get spice.

What we appreciate is the
Clarissa
May 10, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amazon first reads

I don’t usually finish 2 star books so maybe this is a 2.5. This read like a lame chick flick movie. Super predictable, awkwardly painful and overly descriptive in all the wrong parts. I finished it but don’t recommend it.
Donna Foster
May 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than a story about coming up with spectacular checklists.
Fallon Prinzivalli
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An extremely fun and sweet story about a woman whose well-crafted, organized life is slowly sliding towards chaos. My favorite part of this story was the diverse cast of characters who help her grow throughout the process. It's such a charming read, and with a summer release, it's the perfect rom-com for a beach trip or a book club.

**I received this ARC unexpectedly in the mail. I enjoyed it so I wanted to leave an honest review.**
CoCo
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
***Full review to follow, short review: you'll love it!*** ...more
Dramapuppy
I love slice-of-life, but it seemed like this book went out of its way to focus on the dull and frustrating parts of life. Even so, I didn't regret reading it in the end.

I read other reviews complaining that this book spends less time on the romance than it does on the protagonist's job, but I took that as praise because I actually prefer the romance to take a backseat. I love romcoms where the heroine spends pages and pages starting her own restaurant or chasing her dreams in journalism.

This b
Liz
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Checklist by Addie Wooldridge was a fun read that had me smiling and turning the pages. A story about a woman who had everything under control suddenly finds her life a hot mess. Now she is trying to get it all back under control while trying to save her job and fix her love life. The story was sweet and had some great characters. Dylan was so determined and organized, and it was fun trying to see her fix the chaos her life has become. I am excited to read more from this author!

Happy readin
ashley
May 19, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
👌 Ok

A cheeky little romcom...kind of...
All she wants to do is be successful and not as weird as her family(per say)
Add a horrible judgmental boyfriend and jerk of bad work bosses and to much on one's plate makes for an okay come to grips take as she journeys back to home/self. I will say that the author being a professor made for wonder editing and vocabulary. Enjoyable and a complete story.
Karen J
May 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly! Worth every moment!

There were times I literally could not stop laughing! The writing of Addie Woodridge is so real the humor was equivalent to a giggle or laugh party with a sister/best friend. I looked back to where I left off after laughing myself silly, and it was like to sisters looking at each and start laughing all over again. This book did this for me, it took me actually putting the book down for an hour to calm myself enough to begin again!
The characters were stunning, what a
Leah Acedillo
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very satisfying read

The cast of characters and the story were all relatable! This made we want to visit the Seattle area. The story had the perfect blend of romance, remorse, redemption and interesting family relationships. Dylan was everything you want your main character to be; strong with some vulnerability. Great read!
Chanele
May 31, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: washington-state
The idea of this book sounded cute, the setting was interesting to me (I love books set in Seattle!), and I enjoyed that the book was full of diverse characters. Unfortunately, that is where the charm ended. It took me an extraordinary amount of time to finish this book because it was just ... boring.

Dylan returns to her hometown of Seattle from her very structured life in Houston. She inexplicably lives in her childhood home with her eclectic, artistic parents (why her company was not providin
LM
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5

LOVED.
Vicki Groth
Jun 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy reading with a certain amount of predictability but thoroughly enjoyable.
Denysha
This one took me a while to get through. It wasn't the most captivating read. I appreciate what the author was trying to do here but it just wasn't the best read for me. I really wanted to love it but at this point I'm not even sure I truly liked it. ...more
Dr. S. Conger
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know these people and love them all, even with their eccentricities. Woolridge built great characters who were pretty hilarious throughout. She knows consulting and the craziness of clients and also how you enlist help from high and low places, wherever you can get it. I never had a boss go on vaca instead of on-site, but for sure you are alone to get cooperation and deal with the worst of the crises. And, do NOT bring problems. Woolridge nailed Tim and his craziness to a tee! Ok maybe a bit e ...more
Dee Filien
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

It held my attention from the beginning. I felt the relationship build was realistic. I enjoyed the story and all the small plots in the story. Been a long time since a romance made sense in a book.
Jaime
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a little bit to get into it and then I enjoyed this book. Ending was good but could have been expanded a little more.
Sara
Jun 15, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazon First Read and debut novel.....This is classic Chick-lit (I know it's Women's Fiction now but whatever). It was fine when I was reading it but I didn't have the desire to run and pick it up. I think 15-20 years I would have enjoyed it more but I've mostly grown out of the genre. It's also pegged as a multicultural cast. To be honest, I couldn't tell you the culture of any character, I don't think that had anything to do with the plot, lol. ...more
Diana Williams
May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Difficulties of new jobs cause problems.

Her job took her back to her home town and her artistic families quirks. Her job with a tech CEO was difficult. She thought this would be a good time to bring her boyfriend in to meet her family. Everything starts exploding. How will things resolve?
Bri
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was such an easy read and I absolutely LOVED it! For every woman who has to work 1000x just to be seen, this book will inspire to keep going! Love, Love, LOVE!
B.J. Porter
May 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

Story was full of angst and laughs. The characters were quirky and adorable. A reminder that family and friends should not neglected due to work . In the end, those family and friends will shore you up to fight another day. A very good read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Bone Witch (The Osseous Chronicles #1)
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate Novels, #1)
  • Gilead
  • Bliss (Entangled Hearts Duet, #2)
  • Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A True (as Told to Me) Story
  • Bunny vs. Monkey: Book Three
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 2 (Imbalance, #2)
  • Half Baked Harvest Cookbook: Recipes from My Barn in the Mountains
  • All My Friends Are Dead
  • Rules of Civility
  • Queen of America
  • The House of Broken Angels
  • The Yellow House
  • Dominicana
Born and raised outside Seattle, Washington, Addie Woolridge is a classically trained opera singer with a degree in music from the University of Southern California, and she holds a master's degree in public administration from Indiana University. Woolridge's well-developed characters are a result of her love for diverse people, cultures, and experiences.

Woolridge currently lives in Northern Calif