Start by marking “Essential Avengers, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Essential Avengers, Vol. 1

Essential Avengers, Vol. 1 (Essential Avengers #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  429 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
There came a day, unlike any other, when Earth's Mightiest Heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single hero could withstand.
Published July 27th 2005 by Marvel Comics Group (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Avengers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Avengers, Vol. 1

Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I collected comics from the early 60s...what is called the silver age of comics...(I mean I began in the early 60s). I had the Avengers from #4 on, then stopped collecting in the mid 70s. If you're a comic book person you know they got a lot darker at that time. a finical crisis I had to sell my collection. So, when I came across the Essential collections I was able to recover at least the stories. I went with 4 stars since they are in black and white, but still they're good.

So much o
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I think this held up better than Golden Age Batman. I enjoyed it, though it's still kitschy of course, with plenty of unintentional hilarity. (Like how after Zemo sprays the city with super adhesive glue, the Wasp goes to find "Paste-Pot Pete" to save the day. Thank God for Paste-Pot Pete!) It is a LOT of comics and my interest waned toward the end--but maybe that's just because Iron Man and the Wasp both left the team halfway through. (Also the Hulk and Ant-Man, but I care less about them.)
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Avengers, issues #1 - 24. This has been pretty interesting. These issues were from 1962/63 I believe and it's neat to get a glimpse of what the culture was like back then. The stories were pretty campy, but it was good clean fun. I enjoyed seeing how the team was formed and then evolved.
H.L. Sudler
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The somewhat hokey early days of The Avengers, but still fun to read.
Adam Graham
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Launched in September 1963, the Avengers were Marvel's answer to the Justice League. However, there were some marked differences from the Justice Leagues. For starters, neither of Marvel characters, Spider-man or the Fantastic Four found their way into the Avengers. Instead, the Avengers featured characters who didn't actually have their own comic book but shared their titles with other characters. The first line up included Iron Man from Tales of Suspense; Ant Man, the Wasp, and the Incredible ...more
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reprints Avengers (1) #1-24 (September 1963-January 1966). In an attempt to destroy his brother Thor, Loki accidentally leads to a gathering of heroes. With Iron Man, Giant Man, the Wasp, Thor, and the Hulk, the Avengers find themselves as Earth’s mightiest heroes. When World War II hero, Captain America is found frozen in ice, a new generation learns of his greatness as he rallies a team that grows to include members like Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch as they fight to protect the ...more
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
Another fun foray into the history of the Marvel Universe.
Zack! Empire
I feel somewhat bad for writing this, considering how much i love silver age Marvel, but this book is not very good. Just overall in terms of story, and the art, it comes up laking. I was trying to figure out what this book seems to be missing and i think i know: there are no subplots. The gold standard for Marvel around this time would be Spider-Man, or the Fantastic Four, and the thing that makes them good is all the subplots going on. While an issue of either of those would advance the lifes ...more
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Startet sehr langsam...

...und nimmt dann Fahrt auf. Band 1 der Essential Avengers ist für mich klar zweigeteilt: Der mühsame, extrem formelhafte und langweilige Beginn mit den Mitgliedern Iron Man, Thor und Giant Man... und dann, ab dem Punkt, in dem die Lineup wechselt, fangen dann auch die Geschichten an, Fahrt aufzunehmen und spannender zu werden.

Seltsam, denn eigentlich sind die Originalmitglieder an sich deutlich interessantere Charaktere - aber zuviele Köche verderben den Brei, und die Abs
Apr 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of silver age comics
Man, a lot of folks I know who read comics look down on the 1960s stuff. But they're nuts. You want fun? You want high flown dialogue, loopy nicknames, epic battles, all bright but with just a bit of complexity, character conflict and such creeping in? With plenty of WTF moments and painfully dated gender roles and politics(okay, I may be one of the few that finds that part of amusing, but as time goes on we see the Wasp become a little more proactive)? Well, look no further. As a guy raised on ...more
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Hark back to the glory days of the Marvel age. I enjoyed seeing the original Stan Lee comics and the basis for the popular movies. While I understand that the Avengers is a collection of heroes comeing together to fight bigger threats it felt like it was missing pieces of the story. I understand that this si due to each character having their own story arc and comic books but it made the whole collection feel a little disjointed.
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Over a year and a half ago, I picked this book up to become better acquainted with the Avenger's origins before the movie came out. It was so mind-numbingly boring that I set it down a LOT. However, once the Avenger's line-up changed and all my fave heroes left, the book became tons more interesting. Hawkeye is my new favorite.
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading the original 60s comics from a modern standpoint pretty much automatically leads to hilarity. The treatment of women is offensive (but I grind my teeth and say "1963! 1963!), there's a lot of (probably) unintentional homoeroticism, and comics have now evolved so far beyond this point, it is almost like reading a different medium. But still, fun, and worth it for the historical value.
Kolekcija od prve 24 epizode Osvetnika mi je donela mnogo radosti, ali ipak ne mogu, a da ne kazem da su ovi prvi crtezi i same price ipak mnogo u zaostatku za svojim modernim nastavcima tako da nema svrhe ocenjivati ovu kôlekciju, jer mislim da ta ocena kakva god bila ne bi u potpunosti bila tacna...
La Revistería Comics
El grupo que revolucionó al Universo Marvel y al resto de la industria de los superhéroes recibe por fin un merecidísimo Omnigold con el primer año y pico de la serie a cargo de Stan Lee, Jack Kirby y gran elenco, más varios extras y curiosidades exclusivos de esta edición.
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Jedno od boljih stvari Silver age superherojskog doba stripova. Iako su pune klasičnih stripovskih klišeja i jeftinih zapleta, imaju taj neki šarm šunda onog nevinog doba kad su stripovi uveseljavali generacije klinaca. Ocjena je više onako subjektivan izraz moje nostalgije.
Elliot Huxtable
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Nothing beats a bit of Lee/Kirby action!
Rob McMonigal
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Review is too long for Goodreads, you can find it here:
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kang the Conqueror!
Gary Lee
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
A fun history lesson of Lee/Kirby era Marvel comics.
Cheesy, repetitive, ridiculous.
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great peak at the past into issues that would otherwise be way out of my price range. The cheese factor is a bit much, but hey we are talking 40 years ago. It's any comic book reader's heritage.
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Griffin Files
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of silly writing (Including The Wasp going to powder her nose in the middle of a fight) which I think just adds to the appeal
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Amazingly sexist, amazingly homoerotic, amazingly cheesy, amazingly illogical, and also highly entertaining.
Variaciones Enrojo
Edición española Omnigold, tomo 1 cronológicamente hablando.
Adam Walker
  • Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers, Vol. 1
  • Essential Wolverine, Vol. 2
  • Formerly Known as the Justice League
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 2
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Essential Avengers (9 books)
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 2
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 3
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 4
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 5
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 6
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 7
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 8
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 9
“The power of prayer is still the greatest ever known in this endless eternal universe.-The Watcher in The Avengers #14” 29 likes