Start by marking “Mister Teacher” as Want to Read:
Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher (Teacher #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
It's 1978, and Jack Sheffield begins his second year as headmaster of a small village primary school in North Yorkshire. There are three letters on his desk - one makes him smile, one makes him sad and one is destined to change his life forever. This is from nine-year-old Sebastian, suffering from leukaemia in the local hospital, who writes a heartbreaking letter addressed ...more
Published September 25th 2008 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Teacher

Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series from the cultural references, to the community story and the feel of nostalgia that resonates when I read this. Can’t wait to dive into the next book!
P.S. Winn
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 in the series and it is heart warming and fun as Jack heads back to the school and through some letters learns the tragedies some are going through and tries to hep.
Juliana Graham
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I was keen to read this book as it's the next in Jack Sheffield's series and I really wanted to know what was going to happen to all the characters!

I like the fact that the years these books are set in nearly mirror my own school years (I'm about 3 years too young) so references to things going on in education and the classroom ring many familiar bells in my mind.

One thing that did annoy me slightly is the use of hindsight to make jokes. For example there are comments about Harry Potter (having
Grammar*Kitten
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
My mum is a teacher, and I have grown up socialising with a lot of her teacher friends; reading this book made me howl with laughter. It is poignant and funny, and reminds me of hearing stories straight from the classroom!

A brilliant read that I'd recommend to teachers, parents, or just anyone who can appreciate the funny things that kids say and do.
Janey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Wholesome read, with some humour.
Paula Moncur
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've finished this book eventually. Again Mr Jack Sheffield didn't disappoint. Looking forward to the next in the series following Jacks life.
Arpita
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming.
Rachel pearson
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story of `Mister Teacher' is a semi-autobiographical recollection of events and experiences of author Jack Sheffield from his days as a headteacher of a school in North Yorkshire. It is written in the first person in a delightful and gentle manner where characters are attractive and appealing even though some have roguish or intimidating tendencies. Apart from the headteacher as main protagonist the cast is largely his staff and pupils, but there are continuing encounters with villagers and ...more
Chris
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Fantastic observations on the people around him and some funny anecdotes, especially with the benefit of hindsight and things we know have now happened. "Harry Potter - everyone will soon forget that name!" LOL It is simply written so an easy read but the human and heart warming sentiment is not lost and it is fantastic when the village bully finally gets his comeuppance. The small stories of things the children say and write and interjected with observations about the v ...more
Sue
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-owned, read-2009
Sequel to 'Teacher, Teacher', this book documents the second year of Jack Sheffield's life as headmaster in the fictional Ragley School, a small primary school set in a village in Yorkshire.

It continues many of the threads started in the previous book, and introduces some new and interesting characters. As with the first book, there are some amusing parts, and some which are quite emotional. The sub-plots are many, and mostly believable; the book well-written on the whole.

I did find myself annoy
ReaderSP
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read Teacher, Teacher and was pleasantly surprised that I could read the sequel without any issues. This book was given to me by a friend and I started it straight away.
This is basically an autobiography of Jack Sheffield and depicts his tales as a Head Teacher at a village school in Yorkshire. The book is set in the late seventies, when the world was a seemingly different place. The story shows how simple everything must have been then, only merely 30 years ago, and also Jack Sheffiel
Alan
Oct 08, 2009 rated it liked it
It's a bit like watching the Phantom Menace - I started with what I now understand is book THREE in the series, and have now just finished book TWO, so I need to get book ONE later, and have just realised book FOUR is due to be published, and FIVE is in progress...

I remembered more about 1978/9 - the topical references are great, especially viewed through a long lens. I especially noted references to Harry Potter, Designer Labels and Saddam Hussain...

Another enjoyable romp through the late 70s

I
Diana
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novel could almost be called a memoir. Jack is in his second year as headmaster and teacher for a private elementary school in a small English village in the 1970’s. Each chapter is based on an entry in his journal and expands on the particular incident at that time. It is an entertaining look at the local characters and the school in that place and time. I found it a light but delightful read.
Carol
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read about a teacher in elementary school in Yorkshire, UK. It takes place in the early or mid 70's and I am surprised how simple life can remain in a little country school. This is a very easy and pleasant read, as one would expect. Don't expect literary genius - just fun stories about the villagers and their children.
Mar
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Whether or not you're a teacher this book will put a smile on your face, you will want to read the following ones. The description of a small village in North Yorkshire and it inhabitants is so accurate that I had to go and check a few places out, to my surprise (good surprise) I could see several scenes of the book reflected in the different places.
Mac.Hawk
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Second of the series. Junior school life in the late 1970's. Reads somewhat better than the first book and appears less fractured.

Set in Tweesdale - that fictional Yorkshire dale where everything is rosy and the worlds is a far happier place!
Claudia
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Cute story with an interesting use of nostalgia for the seventies as a common thread.
Catherine
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, holiday-reads
A good light read.
Kim
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
2nd book in trilogy. Colourful cast of characters who accompany Jack through the ups and downs of the school year. Humorous, easy to read.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
I liked this it was amusing enough but it had the most infuriating ending!
Mike Singer
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable feel-good series about life as a village school head.
Nina Levison
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story, with amusing anecdotes.
Hazel Roberts
rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2014
Apr 25, 2018
Mr Brian Greenwood
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2016
  • How To Write Really Badly
  • Gypsy Boy On The Run
  • The Heart of the Dales
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself
  • Village Secrets (Tales from Turnham Malpas #5)
  • Gretchen mein Mädchen
  • Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • A Liverpool Lass
  • A Commonplace Killing
  • Lime Street at Two
  • Scandals, Vandals, and Da Vincis: A Gallery of Remarkable Art Tales
  • Extra Confessions Of A Working Girl
  • The Simple Rules of Love
  • Bestsellers: A Very Short Introduction
Jack Sheffield (born Jack Linley, 1945) is a British author who wrote a series of books of fiction about the headmaster of a village school in a fictional Yorkshire village. The stories are set from the late 1970s to the early 1980s and attempt to portray life in Yorkshire as it was at that time.

He was trained as a teacher at St John's College, York and later became head teacher of two schools in
More about Jack Sheffield