Start by marking “Beyond the Roses” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Roses

Beyond the Roses

To the outside world, my life is perfect.

I’m young and rich, and some may even say I’m beautiful. But I would give anything to be somebody else because after being extraordinary all my life, all I wish for is…silence.

My name is Lola Van Allen, and there’s no easy way to say it, but…I’m dying.

When my doctors reveal all hope is lost, I decide to spend the time I have left sh
Published November 11th 2020 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Roses, please sign up.
Monica James Hi. Not at the stage, but maybe in the future xx

Start your review of Beyond the Roses
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
20201104_175016.png

I knew this story was going to be trouble for me. I saw it, I felt it, and I ignored the warning signs anyway because deep down, I’m a glutton for punishment. I had this pre conceive notion that I was going to be left unscathed when I read the final words from this book because nothing and I mean NOTHING phases me in stories anymore and guess what happened??? I was a goner for these characters!! I fell in love when I shouldn’t have, I got my heart broken into a million tiny pieces and with all o
25 Readings Or More
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five-heartbreaking-Stars

I wanna start my review by telling you that i'm sorry.
I'm sorry because i know i won't be able to explain the beauty of this book, because i'm just too overwhelmed by all those emotions.
This story is beautifully heartbreaking.
Two days after reading it i'm still here sobbing.
Gosh even writing this review make me cry!!!

Lola & Roman' love is so powerful, deep, and intense: it's the kind of love you find in fairy tales...
But this is not a fairy tales, and sometimes the happy
Jessica
Aug 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5

This is definitely a serious book that revolves around our main character living with an inoperable tumor that is probably going to kill her. She lost her best friend before this book starts and is working at a camp for sick kids. She starts to fall for the doctor at the camp, but he has secrets of his own. This books really heavy and deals with a lot of heavy topics and conversations. You definitely have to be prepared for that. I'm much more used to Monica's dark romances, so this one felt
Ana Manjić
9-FCA9-F1-B-3-A90-49-EC-85-A3-7-DF6-B1-A8-DCA3

"Life isn't measured in time, but rather moments, memories."

This is one of those books I just want to hold close to my heart and never let go.

Two people.

Two paths.

Meant to meet.

Meant to survive.

Emotionally powerful.

Soul touching.

Heartbreakingly beautiful.

This book will change your perspective, will show you an unpredictable aspect of life and the uncontrollable power of love.

"Lead with your heart...and you'll find me. Always."
Meredith Wilson
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-arcs
Beyond the Roses is a new full-length stand-alone novel by Monica James that is packed with all of the feels. When I read the blurb for this I was very intrigued because it sounded so different than what I was used to from her. What I would soon learn though was that I was utterly unprepared for the torrent of feelings this novel would evoke in me and how greatly this story would affect me. Get ready to fall in love and be completely wrecked in the best possible way!

Lola Van Allen is young, beau
Book Maniac Forever

⭐️ 5+ "Lead With Your Heart" Stars ⭐️
I literally just finished my read of Beyond the Roses and... I'm not okay! My heart is hurting so badly, but at the same time I'm filled with happy feelings. I'm a complete mess of contradicting feelings! Monica James without a doubt in my mind signed with this novel her best contemporary romance to date!

I feel like this review should be short and sweet, because there's not a lot I want to unveil about the plot. Just from the blurb, it's clear what you're
 ⚔Irunía⚔
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
Many dialogues and situations didn't feel natural. I had a distant feeling they were supposed to make a reader cry ( I didn't) and I didn't appreciate the effort. ...more
hooked_on_books
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
★★★𝑅𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑒𝑤★★★
(𝑨𝑹𝑪 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒍𝒚 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒆𝒙𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂𝒏 𝒉𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘.)
𝑅𝐴𝑇𝐼𝑁𝐺:⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒎𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒎𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔, 𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔.

If i could ha given this book a thousand stars, i would.

I could have never imagined reading a book that would break me but make me whole at the same time. This book did exactly that.
There are book you read and forget, and there are books you read and never forget. this book falls in the second category.

This book was one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking, t
Anne's Corner Book Blog (AC)
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Oh man! I don’t think I have any tears left. I knew what I got myself into reading the blurb but nothing prepared me for this much pain and heartbreak. This is what I love about Monica James. She writes story that forever leave an imprint in your heart. Life isn’t fair even in fiction. I threw fits, I cried, I bargained, and I prayed for something that was inevitable. If Lola and Roman’s story taught me anything it’s that cherish the ones you love. Life is precious and none of us is promised tom ...more
Mandy’s Book Reviews
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book emotionally wrecked me I’ve never read a book that hurt so bad to read I almost couldn’t finish I literally felt EVERYTHING but I pushed on took breaks when needed and I’m so glad that I did . Monica James is a phenomenal writer and this story proves it she is hands down one of my most favorite authors in this industry I haven’t read a book by her yet that I haven’t loved I’m used to her darker stories so when I heard she was writing this gut wrenching story I just had to experience th ...more
Books With
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this is Monica’s best.

This beautiful, emotional and quite frankly inspirational ride is one I will not forget anytime soon.

Thank you to the author for this beautiful story that not only broke my heart but pierced it back together at the same time. This book made me feel just like Chasing the butterflies did, like I was watching a movie and I just didn’t want it to end.

Lola, she is one brave and beautiful character and believe it or not you’ll learn a thing or two from her. I sure did.
PP's Bookshelf
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beyond The Roses by Monica James has torn me apart and I don't know what to do with all the pieces of my heart. This story is UNDOUBTEDLY my most favourite Monica James story and one of my top 2020 read. This is just beautiful and incredible writing. This story gutted me in the best way possible and also filled my heart with overwhelming inspiring and hopeful feels. YOU ARE NOT READY FOR THIS EMOTIONAL STORM. Be ready to be wrecked and consumed and fall in love.

Lola Van Allen is dying. Her days
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

I must be dead inside because there is no other explanation as to why this did nothing for me.

Monica James is an exponential writer, there is no denying that but this release… I just wasn’t able to connect with anything. The emotionally driven storyline that touches base on realistic issues that anyone can relate to nor the characters that I didn’t particularly care for. And that is fine because as a reader, you’re not expected to love everything an author dishes out.

Nonetheles
The Romantic Rush Blog
My heart is heavy. Drowning in so many emotions that rational words escape me. Beyond the Roses moved me so deeply- I can’t remember a book that has ever emotionally shattered me in the way that this one did. This is a story that will stay with you, that will capture you so entirely that you somehow can’t imagine a world where you haven’t read it. This is a story that changes you.

I know what you are thinking. Why would you willingly read a book where you know you are going to cry- that you know
MarvelUsReads
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Monica James’ latest read Beyond The Roses was a beautifully tragic work of art radiating with emotion. A heroine struggling to hold onto everything she holds dear, and a hero who will stop at nothing to save the one he loves. The sorrow, love, joy and sacrifice that laced each page brought us to tears. It also served as a reminder that life and love are not always perfect, but they are worth every moment. If you enjoy heartbreaking love stories, then this is the book for you!

www.marvelusreads.c
Ria  | Abstract ♥ Books

ALL MY REVIEWS CAN BE FOUND ON MY BLOG: ABSTRACT BOOKS

line

“Beyond the Roses” is a standalone novel by the best-selling author Monica james. Told in dual perspectives , this book completely wrecked me!

Okkkkk… I need some time to swim out of the puddle of tears this author has managed to drown me in, I mean , I have no words! This Book was so beautifully written that I felt every emotion the characters felt in this book. The scenes and emotions won;t just stop playing in my head! I really don’t know
Ash Chases Romance
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘Beyond The Roses’ by Monica James is the most compelling, spellbinding, strike you in the heart, romance story I’ve read this year. My soul is at a standstill. I honestly don’t know what to do with myself after reading this. So, so beautiful. What else can I truly say?

PSA: I’m not spoiling anything. I rather you go into this blind.

I was 25% in this book, and I felt so gutted. My emotions were all over the place. The writing is so beautifully done.

”Whatever happens is mapped out for us, and we
Lilith  Seven  *DirtyBooksAndMessyHair*
Can I give this book a million stars...pretty please?!...
Because it goddamn truly deserves it.

Alright...I am still crying from all the feels this book gave me...this one, here, is a masterpiece of a book made to bring out even the raw hidden pain out of a person.
Lola was the character we can all relate to for an extent but her levels of difficulties in life surpass us...To know your days are numbers yet still having to smile, live for others takes a guts to do...I just can't...😪😪🤧.
This is by far
Foxie_bookaddict
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is so different from Alek's book.
It's nothing like it.
It was bittersweet, emotional and angsty I spent hours crying over the suffering the characters went through.
This book isn't just fiction it's our reality, the reality we try to forget but it reminds us that there is no running away from it.
I loved how strong and brave was Lola, she thought Ramon was saving her but in the end she was the one saving him.
This book shows how selfless someone can be with the person they really love. It
Anne OK
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
A bundle of emotions that shook me to the core -- two beautiful characters that kept me teary-eyed through most of this book. One of those poignant love stories that breaks your heart with its power to both destroy and heal. Beautiful and meaningful passages of dialogue.

So, why just four stars? Insta-love very seldom works for me. And the subject matter called for more time between Roman and Lola to make what evolved between them seem more real and believable. And the ending felt a bit overdone
Sarah Gomez (cruel existence books)
““𝑨𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒚?”“𝑹𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕?” 𝑴𝒚 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝒓𝒊𝒄𝒐𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒖𝒏𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒖𝒑. 𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒎𝒊𝒓𝒌𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒃𝒓𝒂𝒛𝒆𝒏 𝒔𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝑰’𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒔𝒐 𝒎𝒖𝒄𝒉. “𝑹𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆.” ”— 𝑩𝒆𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒅 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒔, 𝑴𝒐𝒏𝒊𝒄𝒂 𝑱𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔.
If I could give this a million stars, I would.
Monica sealed the cracks in my soul without even knowing, dealt with sensitive subjects with understanding.
It shattered me and bulit me back again.
‘Beyond The Roses’ is so powerful.
So damn poweful.
Roman and Lola, God knows why, they were the spark and the fire...fated.
I d
TheGuideToRomanceNovels
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
project_20201031_2305310_01
Oh my poor little heart, A MUST READ! Check out my review & teaser on my Blog -> CLICK HERE
20200111_113649_zpsbyzel5z8
Karina
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Monica James does it again. This time with a tear jerker. This one is worth the read. Once I started reading - I couldn’t stop until the end.

Lola is by far one of my favorite female characters ever . She’s strong and fearless. I wish to be just like her.

It took me forever to actually form words after reading this book - Just a warning - you will need tissues, so please have them handy.
Romancebooksandcoffee
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Whatever happens, remember I love your more than life itself”.
“Lead with your heart...and you’ll find me. Always”.

5/5⭐️
1/3🔥

From time to time I’ll read something that reminds me why I love to read romance so much. This was one of those books. Straight away I need to start by saying this is hands down THE most beautiful book I have ever read, and while Lola and Romans story is heartbreaking, it delivers such an important message. Their story is a reminder to take nothing in life for granted, a
CherryRed’s Reads
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the Roses will make you cherish the ones you love in your life & not take for granted everyday that passes to live your life everyday like it is your last.

Always make Memories, tell them you love them, cherish those memories & never forget <3

I am emotionally in a beautiful book hanger because of Monica James

Beyond the Roses is a magnificent book that must be read!

This book will emotionally tear your heart into pieces with the amount of love that pours off the pages.
I haven't read such a b
Amanda Anderson (Beauty.and.the.bookies)
If you have never read Monica James, here is the perfect book you can start with. Actually, no. You MUST read this. No matter what. This was her BEST book. Although I do love her dark romance, this was NOT a dark book. And for me to say I loved this more than her dirty and dark books says so much about this story.

You need a good cry? READ THIS ✔
You looking to be inspired? READ THIS ✔
You wanting your heart ripped out of your chest and your soul sucked out of your body and go blind from all of th
SCBookAddict
Shelves: 2020-favorites
After reading this, I was not okay. I was emotionally wrecked. Even after a couple of days after reading Beyond the Roses, I still am crying while writing this review. This is by far one of the most emotional books I have read. I barely started reading it and I was already sniffling.

This is one of those books where I know, no matter what I write, I will not do this book justice. This is hands down a 2020 most memorable read and will stick with me for a very long time.

It's a book about inner pe
Ria Alexander  - Reading Is Our Satisfaction
Best read for 2020 ... emotionally draining

“You gave me a piece of your heart.... so here is mine.”

Monica James stole my heart, my tears and my emotions with the story of Lola Van Allen. Never have I spent over half a book reading through blurred eyes and with tears running down my cheeks. Monica devastated me, made me laugh, did I mention the tears, then there was the anger and the frustration, but most of all there was the undeniable feeling of love that flowed throughout this beautiful st
Lager Lefse Book Blog
Monica (middle name) James,
I have five words for you. I love you, but...

FULL RTC!
------------------------------------------------------

Beyond the Roses was one of my most anticipated reads this year, yet, when it came time to sit down and read it, I was scared. I had heard all the hype and had read the blurb almost a million times and I wanted it. No, I needed this book in my life, but was afraid of what Monica is going to pull out of me. I finally found the courage to dig i

Wendy *cr8zysockbookblock*

I’m still crying big ol ugly cry tears. I’m not okay right now you guys!! 😭 But the good kind of cleansing therapeutic tears you get from a book that simultaneously breaks your heart and mends it back together at the same time. This unputdownable book is just that remarkable, that astonishing that you won’t be the same after reading it. This is one of those unforgettable books that even though you can tell around the middle that the ending is not going to be exactly what you're h
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Claiming Carter (Waverly Wildcats, #1)
  • Fragile Longing
  • Ruthless Kings (Windsor Academy, #2)
  • Boy Next Door
  • Only One Chance (Only One, #2)
  • Wicked Devil (Devils of Sun Valley High, #1)
  • Dodging Calamities (Artemis University, #7)
  • Shattered
  • Wicked Liars (Windsor Academy #1)
  • All the Little Secrets (English Prep #2)
  • All the Little Lies (English Prep #1)
  • Eden (Angelview Academy #3)
  • Malice (Angelview Academy, #2)
  • Pass Interference (The Gods of the Gridiron, #3)
  • Cruz (Dark and Dirty Sinners’ MC #5)
  • Saint (Angelview Academy, #1)
  • Echoes of You
  • Harbinger of Death
See top shelves…
Monica James spent her youth devouring the works of Anne Rice, William Shakespeare, and Emily Dickinson.
When she is not writing, Monica is busy running her own business, but she always finds a balance between the two. She enjoys writing honest, heartfelt, and turbulent stories, hoping to leave an imprint on her readers. She draws her inspiration from life.
She is a bestselling author in the U.S.,