Start by marking “Last One to Die” as Want to Read:
Last One to Die

Last One to Die

One of Us is Lying meets This Lie Will Kill You but with a chilling supernatural twist that will keep you guessing until the very end . . .

Young, brunette women are being attacked in the city of London.

16-year-old, Irish-born Niamh has just arrived for the summer, and quickly discovers that the girls being attacked look frighteningly similar to her.

Determined to make it th
Published January 7th 2021 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Last One to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last One to Die

Start your review of Last One to Die
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Ko-fi

Last One to Die by Cynthia Murphy is the first book I read this year, and my first 5 star as well. I am now confident that 2021 won’t be that bad. I knew I was going to enjoy it, I just didn’t expect to enjoy it this much. Huge thank you yo Kaleidoscope Tours and Scholastic Press, for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for my review.

Synopsis:

Niamh just moved to London, with the hope to pursue acting, meet friends and have fun. W
Enzo
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ladies and gentlemen, i give you the thrill seeking read you have been waiting for to kick start your 2021! A book set-in present-day London in the first person.

The story follows Niamh who travels to London for a 6-week performing arts course and for a taste of the city life. On arrival to her accommodation, she meets her new friend and coincidental course colleague Sara. That very night, Niamh finds Sara bloodied up and murdered in her room. Niamh soon learns that this is going to be a life th
Steph
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My god. This is ALL KINDS OF CREEPY GOOD. It’s uneasy and it’s scary. It’s historical goodness, supernatural and brilliant. It’s compelling reading and ‘put it in the freezer’ good. Incredible characters, bloody excellently written and a really bloody good story. Loved this. Poor naive Naimh. I loved Derek. What a man. This ticks so many boxes for me and I’m gonna need more like this!
Amy McCaw
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever read a book that ticks off absolutely everything you want? I knew when I read the blurb of Last One to Die that I would love it, and it more than lived up to the hype!

It's been my quest since the 90s to find books that read like Point Horror. Last One to Die does exactly that but with a fresh and modern voice. I'm quite hard to scare and it got me on more than one occasion! The horror is balanced out with world building, characterisation and lighter moments.

The plot of the book is gr
Tess James-Mackey
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely flew through this book - perfect pacing and incredibly tense moments that refused to let me put it down between chapters! Such a fresh voice, and a protagonist that acted and sounded her age made the plot even more thrilling. The sort if book that would be perfect to read in one sitting on a long journey because it's that absorbing. ...more
Rachael Mills
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-owned
I don’t like horror films but I love scary books and this one is gloriously creepy in all the best ways. It features some genuinely frightening moments and had me on the edge of my seat. I raced through this book in one go as I was absolutely gripped by the fast pace and tense action.

It has all the elements of a thrilling horror but there’s also a dash of the supernatural and some romance. Niamh is an engaging main character and I loved seeing London through her eyes as a tourist. I also loved t
Les McFarlane
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Niamh has saved long and hard to afford this place at drama summer school. A lot hangs on this experience, traveling from her rural, Irish home to the bright lights of London - a big and exciting risk that she hopes will be the first steps in her acting career. As Niamh checks into the halls of residence, the coolest girl she has ever met wants to be moved from her room as she doesn’t like being so high up. Niamh can’t see why it would do any harm to swap rooms.
Later, Niamh takes some papers do
Nicole Sweeney
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Last One to Die is a fast paced and addictive tale that follows Niamh, a young Irish girl who can come to London for the Summer to study. She soon discovers that women are being attacked all around the city, women who look alarmingly like herself. As Niamh attempts to focus on her studies and her work placement at the sinister Victorian Museum, she soon discovers there might be even more to this serial attacker than she first thought.

Last One to Die is one of those books that sends a shiver up y
Ryan Lynch
Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
I would have rated this so much higher but the ending was honestly shocking. I’m still trying to process it... someone else please read so we can discuss? What the hell!
Lottie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
I devoured this book is record time and it was one of the first books I finished in January. Once I'd started reading it I could not put it down. Cynthia has a real flow about the way she writes, building and ebbing the tension and suspense, throughout. You get caught up in the drama of it all and I love that. The Irish references and words were a great touch too, really grounding in who Niamh is and where she comes from. I found her a compelling protagonist and was really rooting for her in the ...more
Kristel Greer
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of the book for review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
Niamh travels from Ireland to London to attend drama school. She hopes to learn new acting techniques and making new friend. When she arrives she befriends Sara and trades dorm rooms with her but shortly afterwards Niamh finds Sara gruesomely murdered in her room. What follows is a string of sinister attacks on young women. The fact that the victims all have a connection to Niamh and share an uncanny resemblance to he
Hayley
Jan 16, 2021 rated it did not like it
Nope.
The blurb sells this one as a modern Point Horror and it certainly begins that way before descending into some hastily hashed together supernatural plot points.
This felt all over the place and regularly jumped jarringly from the end of a dramatic scene into the middle of the following day.It felt like the author was afraid to present the character during any quieter moments.
Character development was also a real problem.Presumably Niamh likes acting to join this course and yet never makes no
Dawn Crook
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Pacey, nail-biting, and all kinds of weird. I LOVED it!
Louise
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant debut, I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout. Loved point horror in my younger years and this was even better. Really looking forward to Head Girl.
Emma
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: 16-year-old Niamh arrives in London for a summer drama programme, looking forward to time in the big city. However, her plans are completely derailed when a series of murders take place on young females and all seem to be linked to Niamh. Is this a coincidence or deliberate? As part of her course, Niamh works in a Victorian museum, where she meets the handsome Tommy, who she quickly falls head over heels for. But are things all as they seem with Tommy? I won’t spoil the twist in this p ...more
Carolyn
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Niamh has always dreamed of being an actress, following the path her beloved granny didn't get the chance to take. So a place on a summer drama course at the prestigious London Academy of Dramatic Arts is almost a dream come true. But the dream soon turns into a nightmare, as girls are being attacked and killed, girls who all look like Niamh... Can Niamh and her new friend Jess work out what's going on before she's next?
Cynthia Murphy's YA debut is a snappy thriller with a supernatural twist, t
Kevin McCaw

• The Girl Who...
  • The Boy I Am
  • Harrow Lake
  • After the Silence
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • Malice in Underland (Malice's Adventures in Underland, #1)
  • The Orphans of St Halibut's
  • Good Girls Die First
  • Tinsel (The Girls Who Invented Christmas)
  • The Hollow Inside
  • Punching the Air
  • In the Same Boat
  • Daughters of a Dead Empire
  • Black Beauty
  • Just Like Me
  • The Last Bear
  • Witherward (Witherward, #1)
Cynthia is a YA writer from the North-West of England, though her ‘real job’ is in education.She has always enjoyed writing (this is the girl who looked forward to her English Language GCSE) and when her English teacher accused her of plagiarism in Year 8, she thought she might actually be quite good at it. Thanks, Miss Q.

She has a long-standing love affair with all things scary, reading Point Hor