Start by marking “Her Last Holiday” as Want to Read:
Her Last Holiday

Her Last Holiday

You come to the retreat to be healed. You don’t expect to die.

Two years ago, Fran’s sister Jenna disappeared on a wellness retreat in Gozo that went terribly wrong.

Tom Wade, the now infamous man behind Soul Shrink Retreats, has just been released from prison after serving his sentence for the deaths of two people. But he has never let on what happened to the third victim:
Expected publication: April 27th 2021 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Her Last Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Last Holiday

Start your review of Her Last Holiday
Farrah
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How nice it is to read a thriller from the POV of three women with their own distinctive voices, good character arcs, and not running around being overly emotional and silly.
They're not all likeable characters but I found them to be good characters and that was my favourite thing about this book 🙂

𝙁𝙍𝘼𝙉 - two years ago, during a wellness retreat, her sister Jenna died under suspicious circumstances. It was labeled suicide but Fran needs answers so she's attending the latest retreat by the same se
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my very first waltz with the author! Suspicious deaths, missing sister at a wellness retreat, mental gurus or charlatans with deep secrets, dysfunctional family members who are obsessed to know what really happened the daughter/ sister, narrated by three different vivid women characters, alternating between past and present: this formula truly worked for me!

Here are our three POVs: middle aged Fran is still haunted from her sister’s memory who has been missing for two years. She attende
Nicole
This was a hell of a story to believe.

Two years ago, Jenna went to a retreat in Malta organized by Tom Wade, the man behind SoulShrink. But she didn’t come home. She disappeared and the local authorities judged that she had committed suicide jumping from a cliff.
Two other accidents took place on that retreat leaving Tom in prison for manslaughter. However, he will be released soon.
Jenna’s mother is set on blaming Tom for her daughter’s death. She sends her daughter, Fran, to the retreat that To
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
DNF AT 60%

MY THOUGHTS CONTAIN SPOILERS

I got to the 60% point of this book and can no longer waste my time on this book. The people are ridiculous, the entire book is ridiculous. Why would a mother send her other daughter, actually why would said daughter agree, to go to a retreat where her sister Jenna was possibly murdered?????

The dangerous rafting experience was something no upstanding retreat would ever engage in with inexperienced people. They don't even know if these people can swim.

The se
Ceecee
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Tom Wade, the public face of SoulShrink is about to be released from prison after serving two years following tragedies at his last retreat in Gozo. His wife Kate is waiting for him, anxious to reboot SoulShrink and get their lives back on track. Fran, an ICT teacher watches proceedings carefully as her younger sister Jenna disappeared from the Gozo retreat. When Tom and Kate offer another retreat in Wales, Fran attends to try to find out what happened to Jenna. The story is told from t
Jayme
OUTLIER OPINION!
If you are like me, and prefer a well crafted mystery with clues to follow, and revelations that you can buy into, then this may NOT be the book for you.

This book will appeal to readers who have no trouble suspending disbelief!

Two years ago, at a Soul Shrink retreat in Gozo, two guests died, and one guest went missing, presumed dead.

Fran’s sister, Jenna was the guest who disappeared.

So, what does Fran’s mother do, when she learns that Tom Wade has been released after serving h
Virginie
A woman wants to discover the truth about her sister's mysterious death in a group retreat two years ago... Who's lying? Who's telling the truth?

I'm sorry to say this book is another unmemorable thriller. Unfortunately, the author didn't manage to grab my attention. Also, there were too many characters and I never felt close to any of them.

I only finished it because I'm curious by nature and wanted to know how it would end. I finally skimmed through the second half and, just as I thought it got
Amanda
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all I’m a huge fan of C.L Taylor’s books. I’m always in a dilemma,part of me wants to take my time saviour the experience, but as soon as I get started I end up hooked and reading it in one sitting!! There are worse dilemmas I guess!!!

Fran’s sister Jenna went missing two years ago while she was on a wellness retreat at Gozo, the police told them she may have committed suicide but her mother wants answers and pushes Fran to go to Wales on a wellness retreat.

She meets the couple Kate and
Gloria Arthur
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐️3.5 Stars⭐️

'Learn how to heal your trauma, free yourself from anxiety and fact the future with optimism rather than fear’

Packed with mystery, wonderfully twisted characters and told in two timelines Her Last Holiday by C.L. Taylor is set in a wellness retreat in Snowdonia, Wales and another in Malta. The face for the SoulShrink Retreat is Tom Wade a motivational speaker and anxiety survivor and he’s just been released from jail!

Fran Fitzgerald is a teacher with attitude and Tom Wade from SoulS
Jen
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found it to be very engaging. It centers primarily on Fran, who joins a wellness retreat to try to figure out what happened to her sister Jenna, who disappeared on a similar trip over 2 years prior. You also get chapters from Jenna's perspective before her disappearance, and from Kate, the wife and business partner of Tom, who runs the retreats. I am a fan of alternating perspectives throughout a book and thought that it was interesting to see how various situations were ...more
Sean Peters
Thank you to Net Galley, the publishers and auhor for an ARC copy for review.

Sorry only really a 3.5 stars from me.

I know this author well and have enjoyed many of her books.

But there are good points and not so good points.

Good story, great idea, really two stories, one flashback one present.

You come to Soul Shrink to be healed. You don’t expect to die.

Tom Wade, the now infamous man behind Soul
Gary
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy C.L Taylor books and yet to read one I didn’t enjoy so I was eagerly looking forward to this one. Another excellent gripping novel that will have you racing through the pages to find out what is going to happen.

Fran’s sister Jenna disappeared two years ago on a wellness retreat in Gozo that went terribly wrong. The man behind the retreats, Tom Wade was recently released from prison after serving his sentence for the deaths of two people. But he has never let on what happened to th
Rose
I have just finished reading Her Last Holiday by Author C.L. Taylor

This was a good storyline, with interesting characters, although a few too many to keep track of at the beginning of the book.

The pace was good as well, although it did slow down for me at about the 1/3 mark.

I thought the end of the book was not all too much of a surprise, but a good read overall

I have read another book by this author, and will read more of her books in the future

3.5 Stars

Thank You to NetGalley, Author C.L. Tayl
Christina McDonald
An interesting, slow paced mystery with a lot of drama. I loved the premise of a sister looking into what happened to her sister. With a cast of several excellent suspects at the retreat, I was entertained, even if I did guess the twist. A light beach read.
Debbie
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fran has been haunted by the disappearance of her sister, Jenna, on a wellness retreat in Gozo two years ago. The man responsible and leader of the retreat, spent two years in jail for the death of two others, but Jenna was never found. Now it's time for Tom to be released from jail and Jenna's mother pushes her to get some answers. In order to do so, Jenna must go to his new wellness retreat undercover.

I was drawn in by the premise of this one immediately. What happened to the missing sister an
Dawn
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is fast paced practically all the way through, which took its toll on my nerves (in a good way). You don’t get to relax at all, and I don’t often read books like that, so it made a change for me. I liked the setting - it’s a ‘retreat’ environment with believable characters, and lots of things to set you running in the wrong direction. There’re some creepy bits with hidden cameras – something that never fails to make my skin crawl, but that’s the modern world for ya.
Good ending too- with the
bookswithpaulette
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frans sister Jenna disappeared two years ago from a wellness retreat in Malta. The police ruled it a suicide. Tom Wade the face of Soul Shrink retreat was convicted of gross negligence, two other people died that day under his care. After serving two years he is released from prison. Tom has never revealed what happened to Jenna his third victim.

Frans’ not convinced. Jenna didn’t kill herself. When she learns Tom is back to hosting wellness retreats. (I mean what? How is this guy not banned?)She
Michelle
I always look forward to reading a book C.L Taylor. So, when I received a copy Her Last holiday, I couldn’t wait to get stuck in.
Jenna goes on a Wellness retreat in Gozo, with inspirational speaker Tom Wade who own Soulshrink. When things go wrong, and Jenna disappears over a cliff, suspected suicide. They never found her body.
Two years later after Tom wade has left prison after being incarcerated for the crimes that day. His wife Kate has tried to reclaim some of Soulshrink’s business back and
Tea Leaves and Reads
It’s a good year when there are C L Taylor books to be published and so 2021 is shaping up pretty well!

This is such a powerful book with a cast of amazing and very deep characters – some which irritated me constantly and others which I really felt for throughout.

Secrets, lies and so much more weave some very unsettling undertones throughout this book and I don’t think anyone reading it will quite work it all out until the last pages. I love that about C L Taylor’s books – the suspense and build
Bridgett
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
This is my third C.L. Taylor novel, and I've never rated one higher than three stars.

I think it's safe to conclude that she's simply not the author for me...and move on. Her Last Holiday did not work...on any level. The characters were awful, the writing was clunky, implausibilities abounded throughout the book's entirety, and worst of all, it was simply boring. This was not a book I was ever excited to pick up and read.

Historically, what I've found with Taylor's work is a huge build up, on
Nicole
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic C.L Taylor thriller!

As with all C.L Taylor's thrillers, I love her writing style. They are always so engaging and interesting. This book was no different.

This book kept me hooked till the very end. I did not see the ending coming at all.

I loved the concept of this book. Even though, I've read a few thrillers based on wellness retreats, there was lots of mystery and twists in this book to keep it interesting.

C.l Taylor's books never fail to disappoint.

Highly recommend if you
Sherri Thacker
I’ve read 2 other books by C.L. Taylor and really enjoyed them. This one IMO wasn’t as good and I found myself having a hard time keeping up with all the characters. There are a lot to keep up with! Plus the timeline is jumping all over the place. The “f” word is used quite a bit which I really don’t like but that may be just me! I felt like it dragged in the middle as I muddled through till the end. The ending took me by surprise. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in ...more
Alice
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading (and listening to podcasts and watching documentaries) about self-help gurus and cults, so this book sounded right up my alley. Overall it was a good story, but it fell a little flat for me. The main murder mystery at the heart of the story was interesting, and the story itself was suspenseful - I had absolutely no idea who Fran could trust. There was even a nice little twist at the end!

The main issue I had was with some pretty obvious mistakes that I hope will be fixed in editing
Pauline
Dec 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This story is about Fran who is looking into the disappearance of her sister while on a retreat in Gozo where two other people had died.
I usually enjoy C.L. Taylor’s books and I was delighted to receive an advance copy of her new book Her Last Holiday.
Unfortunately the use of swearing affected my enjoyment of this book.
Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
eda!
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This is my first time reading a book by C.L Taylor and it was great! It's a interesting, slow paced mystery novel. I was living for all the drama... it was fun and light- a perfect beach read. I personally guessed the twist and I was correct. Regardless, it was still gripping. I will definitely check out Taylor's other works after this.

Thank you to Netgalley for an eARC copy of Her Last Holiday!
Christy
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review - Her Last Holiday
By C. L. Taylor
Totally unpredictable!!!
Her Last Holiday is a mystery/thriller about Fran’s quest to discover what really happened to her sister Jenna while on a self help retreat in Gozo. While the storyline is intriguing I found the constant changing from past to present tense confusing at times in the beginning. Once I got the feel of the author’s style I was good.
I actually began to really enjoy the brief interjections from each characters point of view. The
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Thanks to Netgalley and Publisher for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Two people died on a wellness retreat in Gozo, hosted by Tom and Kate.  Fran's sister Jenna also disappeared on the same treat, investigation and media both declared her dead. But their mother believes she is alive. Tom Wade is out of prison after two years. Kate is planning to restart Soul Shrink retreats. Fran is forced to join it and figure out what happens to her sister without revealing her identity.

I really e
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Well CL Taylor has done it again, another addictive and twisty thriller than kept me guessing right until the very end. Her books are always so clever with a cast of characters who are not always very likeable. The ending of this book is exciting and surprising. Loved it.

Jenna disappeared from a wellness retreat in Gozo 2 years ago. Nobody really knows what happened and her family are grieving. So when Tom Wade is released from prison and runs another retreat for Soul Shrink, Jenna’s Sister Fran
Gary
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Rachel Gilbey
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I have no clue how C. L. Taylor does this time and time again and comes up with books that leave you unable to put them down, and leaving you opened mouths in awe and shock by the end!

But it's one hell of a skill to have, and this is another triumphant book that had me scratching my head. Ok I had a tiny inkling about one part of the resolution, but I wasn't ever completely sure, nor could I work out the hows, whys etc...

We are treated to three ladies perspectives, Jenna from her time at t

• The Serial Killer’s Wife
  • The Good Neighbour
  • The Whispers
  • Greenwich Park
  • Hostage: A Locked-Room Thriller
  • Trust Me
  • That Night
  • The Dinner Guest
  • The Whole Truth (DI Adam Fawley, #5)
  • The Lucky Escape
  • The Lies We Tell
  • The Silent Suspect (Paige Northwood, #3)
  • The Wild Girls
  • The Castaways
  • Lost Property
  • The Girl on the Platform
  • The Perfect Life
  • Ask No Questions
C.L. Taylor is an award winning Sunday Times bestselling author of eight gripping psychological thrillers including SLEEP, a Richard and Judy Book Club pick for autumn 2019. Her books are not a series and can be read in any order:

2014 - THE ACCIDENT / Before I Wake (U.S.)
2015 - THE LIE
2020 - STRANGERS
2021 - HER LAST HOLIDAY

She has also

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...