Start by marking “The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2)

The Last Graduate

(The Scholomance #2)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  45,947 ratings  ·  6,783 reviews
The specter of graduation looms large as Naomi Novik’s trilogy continues in the sequel to A Deadly Education.

In Wisdom, Shelter. That’s the official motto of the Scholomance. I suppose you could even argue that it’s true—only the wisdom is hard to come by, so the shelter’s rather scant.

Our beloved school does its best to devour all its students—but now that I’ve reached
Published September 28th 2021 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Last Graduate, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Shima I don't think that's how it will go. I think Naomi Novik purposefully set up the parallels to knock them down later. El is not her mother, and I feel …moreI don't think that's how it will go. I think Naomi Novik purposefully set up the parallels to knock them down later. El is not her mother, and I feel like the scenes in the book where she was about to do something outrageous to save someone she liked, like when Nkoyo was in danger and she almost destroyed the gym, were foreshadowing for whatever crazy thing she might do to save Orion.
At least, I hope so. (less)
Shima I believe it's a trilogy.
I believe it's a trilogy.
Naomi Novik mentioned in an interview that she thought it was going to be two books. But when she wrote drafts of them she realised this book needed to be written to bridge the two, so it turned into a trilogy. The good thing is, it means we're getting the books closer to each other than we normally would because she'd so far ahead on their writing. (less)

·  45,947 ratings  ·  6,783 reviews

Start your review of The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2)
Shima
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: upcoming
WHAT.THE.HECK.WAS.THAT.ENDING.

The second Scholomance book is everything you would want after the first one, except it's darker and more delicious.
Except, the ending will leave you in pieces.

Note. I grew up with the generation who waited a year for the next book, after watching beloved characters fall into hell in The Mark of Athena. This was worse.

Pre-publication:
Reading the first book in a series the day it comes out might be all fun and good until
you realise that means you have
exactly t
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Oct 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2021-books
S T U P I D.

I'm giving this 1 STAR for that ending I don't care how petty I'm being...
The only reason I picked this one up straight after the first one was because of the cliffhanger and here we have yet another fucking cliffhanger- it's the way I'm being played right now!!!! 😡

I still don't know what this series is about and what is happening 60% of the time and yet I still had a good time. But apparently I'm only here for a good time and not a long time because that ending.....

STUPID!!!!!

Anyway
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale now! I can't even say how much I loved this book ... okay, maybe except for the jaw-dropping ending. But STILL! If you've read the first book, definitely read this one, even if you weren't so excited by A Deadly Education. If you haven't, read both!! Here's my full review, first posted on FantasyLiterature.com:

The Last Graduate completely sucked me in from start to finish! Galadriel has managed to survive three years at her deadly magical school, the Scholomance, with her junior year cap
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hogwarts meets Deadly Class with Anakin Skywalker’s transition to Darth Vader vibes : this action packed, dark, extremely sarcastic, entertaining second book of the series absolutely hooks you from the first chapter and you wish not to finish in one sit: you hit your head so hard against the wall and keep cursing why you didn’t you go slower, savoring each chapter and enjoy every reading moment!

Especially that ending! That freaking ending! I literally howled like a crying wolf!

The impressive
Maryam Rz.
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
I’m here for Megara El, my badass queen of sarcasm.

⇓ Companions ⇓

Book series playlist: Spotify URL

Books in series:
A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1) ★★★★☆
⤷ The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2) ☆☆☆☆☆
Nataliya
Oct 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
Reluctant heroes who are not blinded by optimism, who know the stakes and crazy odds and still step up to the plate because sometimes you just can’t look the other way and protect your own hide — they are the best.

(Also, they are a Murderbot.)
“I was still in the Scholomance, and all the miracles in here come with price tags.”

It’s easy to try and dismiss Naomi Novik’s Scholomance series as another book about teenagers in a wizarding school, riding the coattails of Harry Potter books — but th
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]

NAOMI NOVIK I HATE YOU SO MUCH OH MY GOD

THAT ENDING I JUST

I CAN'T

__

Okay, I've given it a week, and feeling a bit calmer now. Let's try and review this thing.

TLG picks up exactly where ADE leaves off, with El having received a mysterious note from her mum telling her to beware of Orion Lake. To be fair, there's not really much need to 'beware' of him for the first 30% of the book, because he features surprisingly little. Genuinely barely appears in the first three chapters or so.

But when he
Nastassja

My initial thoughts right after finishing The Last Graduate:

**This review contains mild spoilers!**

In this installment of The Scholomance we are thrown back right into the chaos of El, Orion, and other kids facing their senior year. A lot has changed since the previous year. New alliances are built, old ones are destroyed, and the school's mechanism is silently turning, counting the last days.

To say this book was a rollercoaster is to say nothing! As usual when you dive into this seri

Becca & The Books
Well, I can pretty confidently say that if you loved Deadly Education, you're probably going to enjoy The Last Graduate just as much!

We once again join El as she battles against the monsters of the Scholomance while trying to construct a plan to Graduate the school alive, with the help of Orion and the rest of her allies.
Once again, I related to El deeply throughout this book and I truly adore her as a character. I love that the heroine of this series is a defensive, angry teenage girl battling
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
DNFed. Sadly the writing style still grates on me - it’s as if to make our main character seem standoffish she has to talk in double the amount of words than is needed. It’s tiring to get through a page at times and sadly I don’t care enough for the characters, plot, or setting to continue. I might return to it eventually but right now I’m just not vibing.
Phuong ✯ (semi-hiatus)
For 95% of this book I was so done with this series, because I couldn't take any more of the inner monologues or the extensive description of every little thing around the heroine, but then the last 5% came and you know what? It was such a serve and that cliffhanger? THAT FREAKING CLIFFHANGER? The only reason why I'm going to pick up the last book next year. I hate it here.
Well played, Noami Novik, well played 👏🏽

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
THE SCHOLOMANCE SERIES

#1 A Deadly Education – 3 stars
#2 The La
myo (myonna reads)
feeling: dead inside

i just love El so much and her character development in this book was great. She’s so funny but she also really cares for the people in her life even though she pretends not to, even Orion. she’s so strong because even though she has the prophecy she doesn’t let that stop her. I loved the side characters and everyone coming together. AND THAT CLIFFHANGER?? cant wait to see my besties again next year.
carol.
Oct 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inhaled, but I think review will have to wait for a re-read, sometime before book three comes out.
Holly
Oct 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That ending was so devious! Some authors I am willing to read YA for and Naomi Novik is definitely one of them. I very much enjoyed this magic school that literally is attempting to kill the students (or protect them?), so I’m interested to see what happens next. Especially with that very YA cliffhanger ending.
Sofia
Nov 08, 2020 marked it as series-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
Alas, I am far too familiar with the agonizing pain of waiting for a sequel that has yet to be released
Nicole
Sep 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Addicting and vicious, The Last Graduate proved to be much more than just another magical school story. It can be a hit or miss because of the writing style, which is different from the usual YA. I would say this book is in between YA and NA territories. I also enjoyed every minute reading it.

The Last Graduate picks up from the same second Deadly Education had ended. The story continues with no time passing in between, after all, school starts right after induction. There are no breaks in the Sc

Emmy Neal
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many exceptional characters here but I hope we all know Precious is the real MVP.
Jenny Lawson
Sep 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you read the first in this series...Deadly Education? If not, you should because it is FANTASTIC. This is the second book in the series and it's maybe not quite as good as the first (which is pretty standard for a middle book in a series) but definitely worthwhile. Now to wait impatiently for the next... ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
The book of pure thaumaturgic bliss, mana and everafters!

What character dev!!!!! I feel like I've never seen more dev to happen (OK, I probably have but that's how I felt after reading it!)
Even places grow brains, balls and all kinds of conscience here! Which is just to show how awesomely developed everyone and everything get!!!!!

This is gonna be forevermore known as the book where Patience (view spoiler) Fortitude!
Q:
As a general rule, regardless of the specific situation in
Helena Paris
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Fiona
THAT ENDING THOUGH.

There isn't anything much more dangerous in the world than a fully grown wizard. That's why the mals have to hunt us when we're young. We're the real apex predators, not the maw-mouths that after all just sit by the doors mumbling to themselves and occasionally groping around for some supper. Once through the gates, we'll be carving our dreams into the world like gleeful vandals scratching graffiti on the pyramids, and we won't look behind us. But only once we're out.

Sophomore
h o l l i s
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That ending.. I just.. the only two options are stupefied silence or hysterical laughter and right now I'm alternating between the two.

Weirdly enough, with nine minutes left on the kindle countdown, I put the book down. I could almost sense something. But that bit of warning was not enough to prepare me for t h a t.

"[..] you're the only person I've ever met who'd come up with the idea of being wildly rude and hostile to the guy who saved your life twenty times."
"Thirteen
Amy Imogene Reads
4.5 I’m-dying-from-that-cliffhanger stars

There's no other way to put this review, so I'm starting off right with the one-two punch: The Last Graduate was 50% a slow-burn sophomore setup, and 50% an active, amazing plot with the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers.

Writing: ★★★★
Character relationships: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★
World building #2: ★★★★

Where to start?? I guess I'm going to attempt to be completely spoiler free this time around... a concept. Because of that, here's a vague synopsis of the firs
Bradley
Nov 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-shelf, horror, fantasy, ya
I really can't overstate this: I love this book. I loved the one preceding it, too, but I REALLY loved this book.

Why?

Because it was fun all the way down to the deepest levels, with all the eldritch horrors clawing their way into the school, with only a reasonable expectation of 1 in 4 kids making it out alive.

Because it had all the magical charm of Hogwarts without any of the sappy sweet. It was a fight and die with every last bit of your strength, casting the most deadly, mana-consuming spells
NAT.orious reads ☾
This book is for you if… you have good taste in books.

Additionally.
Do you think you’re funny, Naomi? (Yes, your writing is hilarious.) Do you think I enjoy suffering through 400 glorious pages of amazingness for you to serve me with the cliffhanger of the year? (If you are the cause, yes, absolutely.) Just WHO do you think you are? (A great writer? – Also yes.)

You are hurting me, do you understand? I AM IN PAIN.

It’s been a while since I’ve read The Last Graduate but as you can see, I remem
Fiona
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally I won't say anything other than what the fuck ...more
Kenzie The Dragon Queen
January 8th 2022

I held out and waited to read this for as long as I could because I knew I’d want the next book right away, and boy was I right. That cliffhanger was BRUTAL! If this series doesn’t have a happy ending I’ll just be sending my therapy bill straight to Naomi Novik herself, thank you very much.

Going into this book I did wonder if it would suffer from second book syndrome, but it definitely didn’t. Which I’m sure is a result of Naomi Novik actually taking the time to not only plan out
Lisann
Dec 15, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academia, fantasy, witches
Why did no one tell me I was going to read a diary of a teenage witch? Because the content of this book was at least 70% inner monologue, a lot of info dumping and just a hint of plot
Avani ✨
Nov 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was so much better than the first book!!!

The ending killed me and now I want the third book ASAP
Maria (mariaoverbooked)
I don't know how to feel? Believe me, no one is more disappointed than I am about this rating. Considering I gave the first one five stars this makes me so sad. I absolutely love this concept, this world, and these characters but this second book was a slog.

Part of the reason the first one worked is because we were all discovering The Scholomance together and learning our about characters AND they were working toward a mutual goal together. What made this second installment not work is that it

• Bet Me
  • Hunted
  • Claiming the Heart of a Duke (His Majesty's Hounds #1)
  • My Fair Gentleman
  • A Foreign Crown (Royal Regency, #1)
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
  • Unmasking the Duke (Rogue Hearts, #5)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Shōgun
  • Faking It (Dempseys, #2)
  • The Raven Tower
  • Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)
  • The Beatryce Prophecy
  • The Confession
  • The Sandman
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • A Gathering of Ravens (Grimnir, #1)
  • For the Love of the Baron (The Noble Hearts #3)
See top shelves…
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more

The Scholomance (3 books)
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • The Golden Enclaves (The Scholomance, #3)

Articles featuring this book

The book gods, in their infinite kindness, have built second chances into the very structure of the modern distribution business. If you miss...
“You're the only right thing I've ever wanted.” 21 likes
“Mum spent a lot of time in my formative years gently reminding me that people don’t think about us nearly as much as we think they do, because they’re all busy worrying what people are thinking about them.” 16 likes