Start by marking “Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)

Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  19,433 Ratings  ·  864 Reviews
In this action-packed conclusion to the Starcatchers trilogy, Peter and Molly find themselves in the dangerous land of Rundoon, ruled by the evil King Zarboff, who takes great delight in watching his pet snake, Kundalini, consume anyone who displeases him. But that's just the start of the trouble facing our heroes, who once again find themselves pitted against the evil sha ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 482 pages
Published October 23rd 2007 by Hyperion Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Peter and the Secret of Rundoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter and the Secret of Rundoon

Krystal
A great finish to the Peter and the Starcatchers series! I've really never been a big Peter Pan fan but these books made me love Peter. I always thought Peter Pan was too arrogant but these books shed a light on Peter's vulnerable, sweet side. I love how they set up the story because all the classic things about Peter Pan (his shadow, Tinker Bell, the clock in the crocodile, Captain Hook) are explained and it gives you that "ah-ha!" moment. All the books were very enjoyable and I still get a gig ...more
Thomas
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
If you’ve read the previous two books in the Peter Pan prequel trilogy, then you ought to take the time to read through this last book in the series. It follows the other books pretty logically, and it maintains the same sense of whimsy, adventure, and imagination that the previous books had. Unfortunately, it’s a little dense with detail, and more than a little overlong in its presentation.

Let’s be honest for a moment: Peter and the Starcatchers was really the only book necessary as a prequel t
Alice
I'd been taking these books out on audio from the library. But I enjoyed them so much, I went ahead and purchased this one. They're fun, entertaining, and the narration is excellent.

This is the third book about the origin of Peter Pan, which posits that he got his ability to fly from a long exposure to "star stuff," a glittery powder that can bring about all kinds of miracles. In this, he's kidnapped to Rundoon, where the bad guys (the Others; why they call themselves that is beyond me) have a b
Charlyn
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Peter's quiet life on the island is changed when the island is attacked by a murderous tribe. When Peter tries to come to the aid of the peaceful Mollusk tribe, he is downed by a poison arrow from the Scorpions. His weakened state allows him to be captured by the evil, reappearing shadow Lord Ombra who takes Peter to Rundoon. Peter's magical abilities to locate starstuff fall, a quality that he himself didn't even know he had, is needed for nefarious purposes by Ombra and the dark side he repres ...more
June
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adventure and fantasy readers
Recommended to June by: Gordon
Shelves: fantasy
I read this in one day. I really enjoyed this series and I don't know that I ever read Peter Pan. I don't consider myself a Peter Pan fan. They are great adventures and I love the concepts behind the story: star stuff, shadow stealing and how they work these in to explain parts of the original story. A really fun read.
Melissa
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I loved this trilogy to set up Peter Pan - the authors were meticulous in addressing details I'd even forgotten about (the ticking clock, the name Pan . . ) I wish I could live in this world a bit longer. I was sad to see this series end but loved ever minute of it!
Kyra
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Guess
I think this one is the best in the series! It is absolutly posotivly an AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!
Kathy Davie
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fantasy

Third in the Peter and the Starcatchers children's fantasy-adventure series based upon the Peter Pan of James Barrie fame.

My Take
We learn a tiny bit about Peter's parents as well as a wee bit about Peter himself. The important part of the story is saving the world from Lord Ombra and his Darkness and eliminating the slave trade between Rundoon and St. Norbert's even as Peter fears the watchfulness of his own shadow. Is it even his own?

I do love how Barry and Pearson manage to tie in bits and p
Nancy85
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF
Camille Hoffmann
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Like the first two, an easy read that's fast and enjoyable. You find out a lot more about Peter's history- though we never find out what actually happened to Peter's parents, which in my mind is a huge oversight! I also wish there was a better explanation about how Peter "detaches" from this shadow. Also, I'm not gonna lie- Molly gets on my nerves. You would think after ending up in a bind SEVERAL different times by thinking she can handle things on her own, she would learn! I was pretty ticked ...more
Cassandra
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***Borrowed the audiobook CD’s from the library

The cover is definitely a magical adventure that grabs your attention and says read me :)

I really do love that Jim Dale has continued as the narrator :) I love when there is consistency, and my son feels the same way. We listened to this book to and from school. It makes our ride enjoyable, and I get to share my book addiction with him.

This adventure was just as epic as all the other Peter and the St
Tara
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows the story of Peter Pan, and who wants to know how everything happened and why.
Recommended to Tara by: Natalie
Amy
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I am going to review all three of these ("Peter and the Starcatchers" "Peter and the Shadow Theives" and "Peter and the Secret of Rundoon" in one review.

I loved all three of these books. They make wonderful prequels to the original "Peter Pan" story and set up how Peter became, well, Peter! There are little hints that refer to things to come which are enjoyable (oh that's how Neverland became magical, that's how Captain Hook came to be and hates Peter, etc) So as a fan of "Peter Pan" these three
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
While this was still a very good book; it was as good as the first two in the trilogy. It dragged on in placed and was a little longer than it needed to be. The events also seemed more random, and while they tied together at the end it was a bit of a stretch. But...it is the history of Peter Pan, so I guess a stretch should be expected. I may have also not liked this book as well because I did not have as much time to read it as quickly as the first two(vacation, sickness, etc); and I tend to ge ...more
Jeffrey Howard
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-juvenile
A fun, fast-paced adventure that young readers will love. The villain, Lord Ombra, is reminiscent of a shapeless, and similarly-frightening Lord Voldemort. He is almost omnipresent as a literal shadow character out to rid the world of light--he is bent on destroying the universe. Cap'n Hook's villainy pales in comparison to him. He makes a few appearances and maintains a minor role.

Barry creates an interesting, magic-infused alternative history of the world based around Starcatchers and The Othe
Kayla
I love this series so much, and I'm sad to see this trilogy end! Peter and the Secret of Rundoon is a fast-paced, wonderfully humorous, incredibly creative conclusion to a beautiful rendition of how Peter Pan could have come to exist.

All of the characters in this book are wonderfully thought out and set into the plot. From Molly's Starcatcher father to Captain Hook himself, each plays their role wonderfully (or sinister-ly, if referring to the pirate). I couldn't stop flipping the pages, wanting
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, ya, series, 4-star
I can't say it enough: I really, really like this series.

I like Peter so much better in this series than in any other incarnation of Peter Pan that I've known (I've not read the original book yet, so I'm pretty much relying on other stories and movies). I feel like in those he's rather one-dimensional; no depth. But in this series he's a real person! He has feelings! Thoughts! Not just a devilish imp who enjoys taunting pirates and never growing up. I like having the insight into his past, and
Carol
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book never slows down.

Molly and George are busy trying to find answers to some difficult questions, Mollusk Island is about to be invaded by the Scorpion tribe, the pirates are busy being pirates. Then there are poison arrows, underwater ships, Lord Ombra, Hook, Rundoon and it's horrible king Zarboff the Third, snakes, flying camels, monkeys and rockets, more "lost boys", way too much olive oil and flying ships with Captain Hook at the helm - it is great.

When our heroes make it back to Moll
Amy
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brigham Inkley
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was really good. This book was the start introducing book of all of the Peter Pan characters that we know of such as the Darlings. It also had the same main villain, who I thought was to be dead. That was a real, but somewhat pleasant surprise. Also, as you would think, Peter is back. There is one more really cool thing. The lost boys, the lost boys in all of our child hood memories and in the Walt Disney movie were introduced and took over for the old ones. So overall I ...more
Katrina
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hard-copies
I was really bummed with this one. THere were so many different things going on, and with the short chapters everything just seemed really disjointed. The last two books both got 5 stars from me, so I know this could have been so much better. I didn't understand the whole plot woth the Scorpions. It just seemed really random to me and I really don't think it needed to be there. I'm still planning on finsihing this series, but I really hope this book isn't a reflection on what's to come because t ...more
Jaap Akkermans
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Peter had just solved two big mysteries. He wanted to be left alone, but as always, the mysteries and problems came to him. Because of this, he reunited with his friend in England called Molly and they went on a ship to somewhere called Rundoon. They found a great mystery there and were determined to solve it. They just found that this mystery was greater than imagined and if they didn't solve it the whole planet would suffer. This book is about hope, friendship, and mystery.
Brittany Hayes
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It was a spiffy book; very unpredicable!

I like how the Starcathers trilogy incorprates the backstory of different elements of Peter Pan that the book doesn't go in depth about, into the story like how Never Neverland and every one upon the island stays the same age forever because of the starstuff that leaked throw the hull of the ship as Captain Hook flew it in the sky that was very clever!
Jennifer (livresaddicted)
What I love the most about these books is the way it explains so many questions I didn't have about Peter Pan. Like how the lost boys are the lost boys or Why the croc ate a clock. I can't wait to read the other ones!
Selena
The final book in the trilogy!

...So the box claimed. I see here on Goodreads that there are more books in the series, which is A-OK with me. This would have been a good way to complete things, but I'm glad to hear that there are more adventures.

The Secret of Rundoon ties up some loose ends from the previous two books, loose ends that we may not have noticed until reading this and going, "Oh yeah, I was wondering about..." That tells you how good Dave Barry is as a story teller.

If you read the fi
Melissa
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first, this seemed so much like book #2 but as the story unfolded there was much more excitement and suspense!

"In this action-packed conclusion to the Starcatchers trilogy, Peter and Molly find themselves in the dangerous land of Rundoon, ruled by the evil King Zarboff, who takes great delight in watching his pet snake, Kundalini, consume anyone who displeases him. But that's just the start of the trouble facing our heroes, who once again find themselves pitted against the evil shadow creatu
Justin Domnitz
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excitement abounds in the third book in this children's Peter Pan prequel series. A prior villain returns for an encore. More tribal savages do battle. Flying camels, carpets, and rocket navigating monkeys take to the sky. Evil kings and flesh hungry snakes and crocodiles create danger! It's all wildly entertaining. I enjoyed this as much as the first in the series and much more than the second book. I'm immediately on to the fourth book.
Shane Hurst
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fainne J. Firmin
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books are just so good, I feel bad for the original author of Peter Pan. I've read the official origin story, and what these books do is so much better. I love this story, how it concluded, and the way it set up the well known elements was simply great.

I don't think there's much else to say - I loved the book. It was fun and clever, and basically all I could hope for.
Jared Bird
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book takes the worst of the previous books and magnifies it. Every sequence of peril is filled with just-in-the-nick-of-time rescues and the book frequently invents conflicts just to seem to have more to say. It doesn't- plus, the book reveals secrets behind Ombra, the Starcatchers, and Peter himself, and none of it feels like it even fits in the novel.
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Peter and the Secret of Rundoon 1 2 Aug 24, 2016 07:10PM
  • Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4)
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
  • Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand (Disney Fairies #2)
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 3: The Clash of the Sky Galleons: Third Book of Quint
  • Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (Leven Thumps, #2)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • The Candy Shop War (The Candy Shop War, #1)
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

Peter and the Starcatchers (5 books)
  • Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1)
  • Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2)
  • Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)
  • The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers, #5)