Jump to ratings and reviews

Weather Weaver #1

The Weather Weaver

What if you could befriend a cloud?
What weather would you choose?
What if the weather matched your mood, whether you want it to or not?

310 pages, Paperback

First published March 4, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tamsin Mori

3 books16 followers
Tamsin had a nomadic childhood (eight different schools!), but the one place that always felt like home was Shetland, her mother’s homeland. Shetland is a collection of teeny tiny islands, so far north they struggle to fit on the map. They are overflowing with myths and legends, most of which are true. Growing up, Tamsin was usually to be found on the beach, whispering spells into sea shells and singing to the selkies.

Tamsin now lives in Bath with her husband, two children, one rabbit, several crows, and a badger, though she flies home to Shetland whenever she can – if you go there in the summer, you’ll probably spot her, striding about with the wind in her hair, chasing a wild story.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews
Profile Image for Книжни Криле.
2,797 reviews149 followers
February 23, 2022
Дали човек може да твърди, че едно младо издателство, което все още има едва две книги в каталога си, е едно от любимите му издателства? Явно може. Няма как иначе, след като и двете книги са ти толкова на сърце, а си личи и колко любов и труд са вложени в реализацията им на български. Защото след приказната „Любов, захар и магия: Щипка пакости” от Ана Мериано, изд. „Лютиче“ ни поднесе още едно вълшебно фентъзи за деца от всички възрасти. „Облачна магия“ от Тамзин Мори ще ви пренесе далеч на север и ще ви разкаже една често буреносна история, която обаче несъмнено ще стопли сърцето ви. Прочетете ревюто на „Книжни Криле“: https://knijnikrile.wordpress.com/202...
Profile Image for Pris.
421 reviews304 followers
August 28, 2021
Omg this was absolutely adorable! 🥰☁️🌈
Profile Image for Emily.
104 reviews22 followers
October 26, 2020
I never thought it possible to feel so much affection for a cloud. Nimbus and Stella's story is wholesome, magical and full of warm wit and heart. It was such a delight to read - and I loved the setting of the Shetland islands - complete with authentic, loveable characters who are grounded in the story and make you root for them all in different ways (except perhaps for the antagonist, of course). I loved reading, and I'm sure others will too.
Profile Image for Estelle Tudor.
Author 8 books32 followers
March 27, 2021
Ah, I loved this book so much! Nimbus is my new favourite character, the author did an amazing job in giving a cloud such a believable and realistic personality. He leapt off the page and was a great sidekick for Stella.

I loved how warm and well written it was, I was sad when it was over and hope there will be a sequel coming soon.

Beautiful story, with beautiful cover to match 🌈☁️

Profile Image for Emma Read.
Author 2 books14 followers
October 18, 2020
When Stella is sent to stay with her Grandfather in the Shetlands she isn't sure what to expect, but it probably isn't getting a cloud as a pet! Stella has a lot to learn about weather magic on the Island and she has to learn fast as there is danger out at sea.

This book is beautifully and immersively written, drawing on folklore and the whims of the weather. It also deals sensitively with grief and how we can hold on to a loved one after they are gone, and help each other come to terms with loss.

I received this book as a proof with no obligation to review

Profile Image for Simona Mitchell.
40 reviews10 followers
February 3, 2022
Много сладурска беше тази книга. Подходяща е както за начинаещи читатели, които за пръв път навлизат в света на книгите, така и за по-възрастни, които искат да си припомнят добрината и позитивизма на детството. Страхотна история за това как емоциите могат да влияят на околните.
Profile Image for Jemima Pett.
Author 29 books325 followers
January 20, 2021
I think a great many of us can empathise with Stella, who’s excited that she’s back in Shetland, where she had such great times with her Grandpa and Grandma. But she’s also feeling meh, because her parents have gone off on another expedition. And then… it’s nothing like she thought it would be.

Stella is often cranky. Just as you’re feeling pretty sympathetic with her plight, she does something that I, at least, thought was pretty mean. But then, she’s lonely and confused, and the temper really does seem justified. Especially when it seems she’s learning magic, but not really.

Her cloud is adorable. Anyone who’s had a puppy will know ‘those looks’. And training a cloud is much like training a puppy, I think.

But once it gets down to the big business, which is part of what her grandmother predicted, and why her parents took her away from the island in the first place, you just know that the cloud will come through, with or without Stella’s help. But Stella has more to learn than teaching her cloud. It’s a wild and complicated world, and she has more power than she understands.

I wonder if there is more to come in this story. It’s exciting, enchanting and full of word pictures of the island–and the weather. I’d certainly like more, and I expect many girls (and boys) will, too.
Profile Image for Les McFarlane.
145 reviews6 followers
October 4, 2020
Stella has to go and stay on the Shetland isles with her grandfather for the summer holidays, whilst her mum and dad have to work.
Things are not the same since her grandmother died and Stella thinks there’s not going to be any fun to be had. None of her grandmother’s (sometimes scary) stories, no gathering treasures from the beach and grandad’s temper to contend with, all conspire to set Stella on edge. She tries to do nice things to cheer grandad up, but it always ends as a disaster - especially when she smashes grandmother’s favourite cup. Stella runs from the house. As she tries to outrun the misery, she trips over the straps of a bag belonging to Tamar, who it turns out, has been waiting for her. Here is were Stella starts to learn of her destiny - as a Weather Weaver!
Tamar, Stella's new friend & mentor, starts to teach the ways of the Weather Weaver by telling Stella to go and catch a cloud...and, amazingly, she does! This is just the start of learning her craft, and of course, it doesn't all go swimmingly but it is very entertaining.
Stella has a fear that she has carried with her from being small and ironically stems from the treasured book given to her by her grandmother, she fears the sea witch. Guess what Tamar is training Stella to be strong enough to come against...you got it, the sea witch!
When the witch tries to flood the island so that she can come onto it ( sea withches can't leave the water) Stella needs all she's been taught and all her inate ability - plus a little help from grandad - to come against the witch
The whole setting and story seem to be steeped in nature, its power and the myths and legends that have grown up around it. One part I particularly loved was the thought of 'the secret of stones'.
"Stones absorb all sorts of things. Memories, emotions,sounds,magic; whatever they come into contact with. They're the hidden library of life" What a wonderful thought! And the passage about churches and other sacred places and the stone they are made from, brought me to a juddering halt!
It’s a great story if, like me, you like a bit of magic!
Yes, you have to suspend reality. Yes, you have to make leaps of faith with the story - but that’s why middle grade works isn’t it? We aren’t constrained by reality.
Nice short chapters so even though it’s a long book by middle grade standards, it really doesn’t feel it. I found the writing easy to read, very accessible. Doesn’t get bound up in the detail but sets a scene and develops the characters enough for you to care what happens.
8 or 9 years plus, I’d say.
Profile Image for BooksForTopics.
140 reviews35 followers
January 14, 2021
The Weather Weaver is the first book to be published by Tamsin Mori. A self-declared childhood nomad, Mori’s love of her maternal home of Shetland is evident from the start.

Finding herself dumped on the Isle of Shetland while her parents work away on a research vessel, Stella soon finds that life with her recently bereaved Grandpa does not match the sunny memories of her earlier childhood. As she grapples with her Grandpa’s never-ending anger and disappointment she is befriended by the unlikely figure of Tamar, an eccentric old woman. Afraid to appear rude, Stella sets off on the seemingly unfeasible mission of catching a cloud, little realising how dramatically her life is about to change…

The story tackles the effect of bereavement and separation with sensitivity, without feeling like it has been sugar-coated in any way. Mori delicately weaves the story as Stella faces her own fears and rebuilds the relationship she once had with her Grandpa, gaining strength in her self-belief along the way. Mori also manages to balance the reality of life as we know it, with that little bit of magic spun throughout, leaving the reader (or at least this one!) gazing at the clouds, wishing they could weave the weather too.

In schools, the story would be good as a basis for a discussion on the basis of myth and legend or as a PSHE opener on the possible effects of bereavement or separation on those left behind. This would also make a great book to keep pupils hooked at the end of the day with just enough mounting peril to keep them wanting more without scaring those more sensitive souls.

My only complaint of the book is the number of late nights I succumbed to as I really didn’t want to put it down! I don’t know if Mori plans to write a sequel, but I truly hope so.

Many thanks to the publisher for our review copy. Featured as a Spring 2021 Ones to Watch: https://www.booksfortopics.com/post/o....
Profile Image for Kristina.
829 reviews200 followers
October 8, 2022
Една от новите ми любими детски книги 💓
Profile Image for Katie Williams.
42 reviews1 follower
December 23, 2020
Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publishers for a free e arc in exchange for an honest review.
Even though this is aimed at children, I enjoyed it very much, probably because I'm used to reading children's books, working in a year 6 class myself.

The characters are short which help to break the story up for children who may find it hard to concentrate for longer periods. Even as an adult I prefer shorter chapters!

Even thought there are only three main characters, I felt it was really clever how the author gave Nimbus the cloud a personality and characteristics, different emotions making him (in my head Nimbus is a him!) turn into different cloud types. For instance, when he's angry he makes thunder.

There was a perfect amount of action and tension throughout making it a quick to read, fast paced book. I read it in under two days.

I don't know if there will be any more books showing Stella's adventures as she learns to be a weather weaver, but the ending leaves it open to possibilities so I really hope the author does!

One biased bit that made me like this book even more when I'd finished was reading the acknowledgements at the end as the author actually completed this on the MA Writing For Young People at Bath Spa university which is where I completed my BA in Creative Writing! She thanks Lucy Christopher who was also one of my lecturers!

This is a great middle grade read and I'll definitely be recommending it to the children in my class! Be prepared for some scary parts though!
Profile Image for Nikki.
940 reviews47 followers
May 3, 2021
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This was just as adorable as I hoped! And Nimbus the cloud has such a vivacious personality, I want my own cloud now...

I really ended up liking Stella’s relationship with her grandfather, and that we get to see her understand some of the things that have gone on in his head. There is a little bit of an easy fix it, but I did also like how that was handled in the end. Stella herself is lovely, and I’m really looking forward to getting more time with her in future books.

My only real complaint is that this feels a bit like half a story. Not in a bad way, but that we don’t get as much time doing all the things as I wanted! Haha. It is clearly setting up a series though, and I am very happy about that. So there is so much more to learn about Stella and her powers, and how magic works.

Not to mention Tamar. There is definitely more to who Tamar is and what she does. And spinning magic, I want to see that!

I will definitely be picking up book two of this series! 4 stars.
Profile Image for Нина Тодоровска.
70 reviews5 followers
March 23, 2022
Невероятно приключение с любими елементи - море, метеорологично време и магия! Сърцато фентъзи и леко страховита история (по детски), но изтъкана с толкова много любов и вибрираща надежда, че ми беше трудно да я оставя. Нетрадиционно представяне на емоцията, много ми хареса как е втъкана темата за връзката между чувствата ни, силата и времето, които им отдаваме и съответно това, което сме си изплели - емоционалната основа, върху която градим живота си. Благородно завиждам на всички подрастващи, които ще я прочетат и се чудя каква ли следа ще остави у тях.
Адмирации на издателство “Лютиче” за избора на заглавие! А запазването на оригиналната корица само допринесе към читателското удоволствие.
Profile Image for Barbara Band.
652 reviews15 followers
December 9, 2020
Great MG story that is fun to read, a little bit scary and that has a lot of themes to explore further. Stella's parents left the island when she was young. Since then her gran has died and they have sent her to stay with her grandfather for the summer whilst they work. When Stella meets Tamar, she is astonished to discover that she's a weather weaver. The only problem is the sea witch, which has haunted Stella's nightmares, is coming to the island, bringing a storm with her and it may be that Stella is the only one who can save everyone but can Tamar teach her how to control the weather in time.

#adventure #magic #witches #weather #grief #family
Profile Image for Trisha Davis.
32 reviews1 follower
May 27, 2021
What an AMAZING book!!! I loved this story with every ounce of my heart. You won’t be disappointed by reading this one. It was full of adventure, friendship, family, and love. As I was reading this a severe thunderstorm was happening outside too. Hmm, was this a coincidence, maybe not? Lol
Profile Image for Lisa.
234 reviews19 followers
December 21, 2020
This was a lovely story, just on the right side of scary for younger readers but enough peril to keep older ones intrigued. I loved the idea of the Weather Weaver and yes, I now want a Nimbus of my own - come on, who wouldn't want cloud cuddles at the moment! :D
I'm assuming this is the start of a series, so will look forward to more weather weaving adventures with Stella, Nimbus and co.

Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for the ebook to read and review
Profile Image for Dawn Woods.
149 reviews
November 22, 2020
Stella is on her way to stay on Shetland with her Grandpa while her parents are working. It's six years since Stella and her parents moved away from the island and in the meantime Gran has died and both Stella and Grandpa miss her. Gran used to tell stories of the ocean and mermaids and selkies, although some of these gave Stella nightmares. Since her return, Grandpa has been morose and grumpy, not allowing Stella to go out at all as it's far too dangerous. But after trying to be useful one day, Grandpa loses his temper and shouts at Stella, resulting in her running out of the cottage blindly. She bumps into Tamar, a strange old lady who asks Stella to go and catch a cloud. Completely baffled by this, Stella does as she's told, and discovers that actually she can catch a cloud which she brings back to Tamar. Returning to Tamar's cottage, Stella then learns lots more about Tamar being a Weather Weaver and having the gift herself. Her cloud has now become her companion and follows Stella around and Stella has to learn to live with a love this new relationship.
Although Stella tries to keep all this a secret from Grandpa, worried this will be high up on the dangerous activities Grandpa fears for Stella, she soon finds she needs Grandpa's help, as alongside Tamar they all have to fight a battle Gran had foreseen against the Haken, or sea witch. With Tamar's magic, Grandpa's handiwork skills and Stella's desire to be kind to Haken slaves of clouds, the trio face the Haken in an almighty battle to prevent destruction of the island.
With myths, nature and magic, this is an enjoyable read for middle grade readers.
Profile Image for Izzi.
87 reviews2 followers
November 29, 2020
I really enjoyed this story and got totally sucked in to the action. This book tells the story of Stella, who travels to Shetland to stay with her grandpa.
With the background of folk tales shared by her grandma, Stella meets Tamar, a weather weaver.
I enjoyed the developing relationships between Stella, her grandpa and Tamar, and most of all Nimbus, my favourite character!
My only complaint is that it was over too soon!
A really interesting story, I hope there will be further adventures to come.
Profile Image for Margaret McCulloch-Keeble.
723 reviews8 followers
December 15, 2020
Quite a rousing story. I like the idea of having a pet cloud. I was left wondering why The Haken had it in for the island and possibly Stella but do wonder if this may be the beginning of a series.
Profile Image for Beth  Bennett.
41 reviews7 followers
November 23, 2020
I received an advance copy of this via NetGalley.
Stella has to spend the six week summer holiday with her Grandpa on Shetland as her parents are working away. Her Grandpa seems angry with her but she discovers it is worry about her due to a dream her grandmother had when she was much younger.
Whilst out, Stella meets a woman who was apparently expecting her arrival. She also expects her to be able to control clouds and other weather. Stella struggles to keep her emotions in check to stop her cloud wreaking havoc.
All the myths and stories of Shetland Stella’s grandmother had read to her when she was younger seems to be very firmly based on truths that are coming back to threaten Stella and the island.
This is a fast paced adventure filled with myth and magic, clouds and storms. It explores family relationships, emotions and memories. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Jen.
100 reviews14 followers
November 21, 2020
This was such an amazingly original story, full of magic and atmosphere. I loved the setting and the author described the island so well that you could almost be there.
The characters were believable, especially Nimbus the cloud!! I really enjoyed the way Stella and her cloud developed through the story and would definitely like to read more of their adventures. I'd recommend this book to readers of all ages.
Thank you to Netgalley uk and UCLan publishing for an arc of this book.
Profile Image for Alex.
169 reviews16 followers
November 23, 2020
This book was absolutely beautiful. It has certainly made me look at the weather in a different way.

This is magical and clever and I would love everyone to read it.
Profile Image for Pam.
43 reviews1 follower
December 3, 2020
Advance copy from NetGalley; thanks to the publisher. Charming middle grade novel. A few unanswered questions... Like the time setting, for example. Is this current day? If so, why no mention of phones or internet, etc.? Also, an 11 year old going into a creepy lady's house doesn't ring true for 2020 either. Setting that aside, though, it's a delightful story with a bit of unusual magic. Inventive and clever.
Profile Image for Bee.
271 reviews30 followers
October 27, 2020
My initial thought when I finished The Weather Weaver was that I now want my own cloud to give me cuddles and to teach to do such things as lightning in the house. Perhaps a bad example as I'm scared of lightning storms. However, the point still stands that due to Nimbus the cloud and Stella's friendship I now find myself wanting a cloud.

This book is wonderful, drawing on the myths and legends about the beautiful Shetland Isles and the wonders of Mother Nature's most unpredictable creation - weather.

Tamsin Mori has brought the Shetlands to life, with the mention of the seasonal occurance of the beaches being closed for the safety of the nesting birds, the colony of Puffins that inhabit the rocks surrounding the lighthouse and the relative isolation that exists for those who live there. All of which create a truly immersive world for the reader and I believe helps you feel as though you are there alongside Stella as she steps off the precarious gangplank and into an adventure she couldn't have ever imagined.

The Weather Weaver also deals with the sensitive subject of grief and how people react to, and handle the loss of a loved one in different ways. This is so well done that I found myself choked with emotion as I recognised my way of coping in the manner Stella's grandfather does - and although it confuses her, it shows that there is no right or wrong way of grieving. Something sadly, children at any age often have to face.

This book is everything and more than what I hoped for when it caught my eye. You can be lost to myths and legends of silkies, sea witches and more - and who doesn't love the opportunity to be lost to the 'what ifs' of the world. I truly hope that Tamsin Mori will be writing a sequel because I want to see more of Nimbus and his adorable reactions to making Stella happy. (See, this is why I want a cloud of my own)

Thank you to Netgalley for my eARC.
Profile Image for Roberta.
1,077 reviews13 followers
October 24, 2020
I’ve always been interested in the weather, and weather science, so the idea of weather weavers really appeals to me. The cover also drew me in.

The story itself did not disappoint. Stella is dropped off at her grandad’s, on a remote island, and weather related adventures ensued. I really enjoyed reading all about Nimbus, and how Stella learns about her gift from Tamar. The battle was exciting, but not too stressful (just right). I really hope that there will be a sequel. I’d love to get deeper into the weather magic, and to get to know the characters more. Particularly, I want to know what it is the sea witch wants. I feel like there’s a lot more to that story!

This story oozes charm and magic, I definitely recommend it.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Daniel.
Author 12 books16 followers
May 2, 2021
Wow! What a marvellous way for me to get back into reading middle-grade books.
The Weather Weaver by Tamsin Mori is a beautifully and intelligently written piece of magical fiction. While obviously a middle-grade novel, I believe grown-ups alike will also enjoy reading this book themselves or along with their children.
Our protagonist Stella is due to return to her home of Shetland to stay with her Grandfather. Stella is equal parts excited and nervous to return to a place where she had such fond memories of her grandparents. But with the death of her grandmother, Stella doesn’t really know how things will be.
When Stella does finally arrive back in Shetland, she quickly realises that things are quite a bit different to how she remembered. Firstly, her once happy and joyful grandfather is now an angry and short-tempered old man.
Stella then meets Tamar who not only helps her catch her very first cloud, but she also reveals to her the worlds and the ways of being a Weather Weaver. Someone who has some kind of control over the weather. Stella also learns about the power of her emotions and how they can affect the world and people around her, with the help of her own adorable magical cloud Nimbus.
Not only is this already a somewhat difficult transition and learning curve for our dear Stella, but she also comes face to face with the Haken, an evil that will really test her abilities and her belief in the many folk tales her Grandmother used to tell her as a young child.
This was such a wonderful read, and not only were the characters fully realised but the world and environment was a beautifully developed character in itself. This was a delight to read and I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this wonderfully spun tale.
A highly recommended 5 star read for sure.
Profile Image for Adam Murphy.
405 reviews7 followers
December 22, 2021

Find your cloud. The Weather Weaver by Tamsin Mori is like I just swallowed a rainbow. I was fully immersed in this sun-sparkled, wind-whooshed, cloud-swirled, storm-boom of a story. It was written in a clear, engaging manner with a pace that drives the story forward and makes you just have to read one more chapter. Within the themes of magic and mystery the author is able to cleverly touch on issues such as grief with great sensitivity.

The story is about 11-year-old Stella who goes to stay with her grandfather on one of the Shetland Islands over the summer holidays while her parents are away, working. At first, Stella is excited to be returning to the island, a place that was her home when she was younger. However, Stella's excitement quickly vanishes when she discovers that being on the island no longer feels the way it used to. With tensions in her grandfather's house rising, Stella runs outside to find a quiet place to calm down. It is here that she begins to learn about the magic of the island and the magic that is inside herself which are both thrilling, but also dangerous.

The story comes in multiple layers. Any fans of mystery and magic will love this story, which weaves Scottish myths into a thrilling tale of battling environmental forces with powerful female characters at its heart. The Shetland setting is beautifully realised, as is the healing relationship between two characters of different generations who have been set adrift by grief. This is a debut novel with sad and scary and funny moments very well mixed together. With myths, nature and magic, this is an enjoyable read for middle-grade readers.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.