Start by marking “Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)

Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1

(Ghost Hunt #1)

PARTNERS IN FEAR

The decrepit building was condemned long ago, but every time the owners try to tear it down, “accidents” start to happen–people get hurt, sometimes even killed. Mai Taniyama and her classmates have heard the rumors that the creepy old high school is haunted–possibly by ghosts from the Second World War. So one rainy day they gather at the told school to tell
Published September 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published July 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Crimsonsnow Are you talking about the manga? Story-wise both novel and manga (and for the Akumu no Sumu Ie series as well) are similar, so if you've read either…moreAre you talking about the manga? Story-wise both novel and manga (and for the Akumu no Sumu Ie series as well) are similar, so if you've read either one, you can skip the other, depending on what's available for you.(less)

Pinky
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to complete my goal for 2016 but I think it's impossible because tomorrow is the last day I have. So I'm going to read as much as I can and put up as many reviews as I can. In order to do that, I'm going to be reading a bunch of manga, so forgive me if this is spamming your updates feed. I watched this anime in the summer because it was recommended from a friend. I loved it and watched the entire show in a day. My friend told me the manga was just as great and recommended that I read it ...more
Miss Ryoko
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miss Ryoko by: General H. Sassafras
Shelves: manga
My darling Love Muffin recommended Ghost Hunt to me, and one thing I will never do is skip out on a manga or anime recommendation from her because she seriously only recommends the best and I end up LOVING it!

Of course, took me a while to check Ghost Hunt out after her recommendation (seriously, she told me to check it out years ago). I started with the anime. I got it for Christmas a few years back and was instantly hooked the moment I started watching it. I knew this would be right up my alle
Mai Taniyama
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sandy
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Adapted from the Evil Spirits series by Fuyumi Ono Ghost Hunt is an enjoyable delightful read with enough spook factor to keep me in suspense without keeping me up at night with nightmares.

After she accidentally causes his assistant injury Shibuya employs Mai Taniyama as his temporary assistant while he investigates a supposedly haunted old school building. Shibuya or Naru-chan as Mai calls him due to his narcissism has been hired by Mai's school principal along with a Buddhist monk, Catholic pr
Lissibith
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, manga
High school student Mai is just enjoying a fun afternoon trading ghost stories with her friends when a transfer student interrupts, expressing interest in hearing the stories as well. Her friends are taken with this handsome stranger, but Mai tells herself she's less than impressed.

But as fate would have it, she ends up having to work as his assistant while his real assistant heals up from an accident Mai may or may not have had something to do with (inadvertently) and thus, she gets drawn into
Selena
Interesting story. Crappy translation. Which is odd for DelRey. Normally their translations are some of the better ones.

While I understand not translating the religious exorcising chants because ancient chants never translate well, at least put them in romaji (English lettering) for the rest of us.

Also, some of the things got "lost in translation" because the translator went for a literal translation. "Why couldn't he say 'I'm in second grade'?" for example. The original Japanese probably had so
Ashley
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mai Taniyama is a regular high school girl who loves ghost stories. One day after school as she and her friends are telling ghost stories, they are scared by a cute new transfer student who says his name is Kazuya Shibuya, and he offers to meet them the next day after school to exchange more ghost stories, in particular any about the old haunted school building that is across the street from their school. The next day as Mai is walking to school she decides to investigate the building herself, l ...more
Jessi B
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Whoa, talk about a wackish manga!

Okay, I admit that I really liked it... What can I say? A bunch of paranormal investigators running around stalking ghosts and patrolling haunted houses? Throw in some phony psychics and a possessed stuffed animal and you've got yourself a rockin' story.

Yeah. This manga rocks out loud!
Plaguedoctor
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this manga, it's a lot better than it's anime counterpart. It has a nice, maybe a little cliched plot, interesting and likable characters, and nice mix of action and suspense. I definitely recommend this to fans of paranormal/supernatural type genres.
Fatemeh
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
داستان جالب و گاهی خنده دار بود... اما نقاشی هاش رو اصلا دوست نداشتم. مخصوصا بعد از دیدن انیمه و زیباتر تصور کردن مای، یه خورده اعصاب خرد کن بود نقاشیش. گرچه، نارو توی مانگا قشنگ تر از انیمه کشیده شده بود.
Annie
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I love horrors and stories like this....
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
This was a great a great, gripping thriller to read. I thought it definitely ended way too soon, and if all thrillers were as intense as this one, I would no doubt read those too!

The Plot
PARTNERS IN FEAR

Jane Rose
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
(stejná recenze u každého dílu)
Kresba se mi moc nelíbila, ale dalo se na to dívat.
Příběh celkem ušel, tedy až na ten konec. Konec mě opravdu zklamal, očekávala jsem něco úplně jiného. Asi by mělo být dobře, že mě autorka dokázala překvapit, ale v tomhle případě bych byla radši, kdyby se to odehrávalo spíše podle mých představ. (view spoiler)
Buttons
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a manga series from 1998 and I didn't have any expectations, I didn't even know what the story is about. I did not regret reading this series, I liked it very much.
The main focus is solving the mysteries around hauntings: is it something supernatural and if so what exactly is it?! Very interesting cases with very different scenarios and explanations, nothing is at simple as it seems.
We have a catholic priest, a miko, a monk, a gost hunter, an omnyoji, a medium, a competent high school b
Leila Anani
A school building is supposedly haunted and the headmaster hires various paranormal experts to investigate. Leading is Kazuya Shibuya, the young, narcissistic head of the Psychic research bureau - but we also have a Catholic exorcist, Buddhist monk, a psychic medium and an outspoken Shinto priestess. Add to this mix wide eyed school girl Mai who becomes Shibuya's assistant after she injures his current one.

I quite like the set up and the characters, however, the translation isn't the greatest an
Francine
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect this whole volume to be a self-contained story (I'm more used to single chapter ghost stories). The conclusion was surprising and made sense. I don't feel one way or the other about the characters, I don't feel drawn to anyone in particular; they all feel a bit plain to me, which is a shame. I do want to keep reading.
Roger Royer
I have to say that this book was quicker than I expected and extremely fun. I really appreciate that the art comes almost directly from the anime and the story from the best selling books as well.

I really wish it was in color and some of the story arc was more exact at times but it was still very fun.
Sabina
This manga was a spook factor for me, scary and funny too. I dont know why? The story is the same however I liked the anime more, maybe becouse the eerie sound that made this story in the anime more scarier. ...more
margarita Lozano
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
💙 it. Can't wait to continue the series!
Mita
Nov 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wow
Teetee
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Ivon
manga shojo-supernatural yang langka ada (as in: gambar bagus [artisnya punya bakat menggambar hantu + ekspresi pada wajah + cowo/cewe cakep], karakterisasi bagus [semua tokohnya bener2 punya otak n kepribadian sendiri2], well-done exorcism research from the author herself, build up suspense + penceritaan yang bagus).

truly recommended. thanks for the King himself for introducing me to this manga.

(berikut adalah review tebengan punya teman saya, Rendi Datriansyah. supaya halaman review saya tampa
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some girls are sharing ghost stories when a guy shows up. There's an old high school that is abandoned. Whenever there is an effort to tear it down, accidents happen and people get hurt; some even get killed. Mai is one of the girls. The guy's name is Shibuya. Mai seems to take an instant disliking to him.

She goes into the old school and Shibuya is there doing something with a camera. The guy gets injured.

A girl named Kuroda makes her appearance. She claims to be psychic and ghosts give her a he
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Ghost Hunt: Volume 1 is well-drawn with many interesting characters. But my problem with the book stems from the writing, or maybe the translation of the writing from the original Japanese. I found the flow of the story to be extremely choppy and hard to follow. A lot of times someone would say something that just didn't make much sense in the flow of the dialog. This became extremely frustrating to me as I struggled to understand the story.

Out of all of the Manga books I have reviewed, this is
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this one up as a browse title after having been somewhat burned on manga. I'd fallen too often for beautiful looking manga that promised a lot, only to deliver very little. I'm very glad that this was the title I picked up.

The premise isn't that new, a cute young girl falls in with a troupe of ghost hunters, one of which is someone that she immediately clashes with (yet is also subconciously attracted to). However the manga stands out from the usual fare with it's truly individualistic
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
Read this spoiler if you've read every single chapter in this manga SERIES.

(view spoiler)
Eli
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, fantasy, 2016, horror

I watched the anime before reading any of the manga. The anime follows this very closely, which is good because the storyline is great. The plot is strong, possessing the ability to be a little scary and comedic (but not at the same time, because comedic horror is just disappointing).

I had no idea that the first printing of this was in 1998. That would explain the art showing some subtle signs of antiquity. But it was still good and rather clear panel-wise, because that's a problem I r
MJ
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-and-comics
I read this on a whim today, I think I've read it before. It seemed familiar but some things I didn't remember. I didn't mind the mystery so much and the real facts vs. psychic phenomena. But all the extra people around were just useless. They didn't promote the at all. The monk, the exorcist, and the miko... and I failed to see the purpose of them all having some sort of appearance issue making them not look like their profession. Why would you go on site for a job, where you have to represent ...more
May
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a little known series that needs more love. The final volume was finally released in Japan a short time ago, and wraps up most of the loose ends nicely, though since I was hoping for a bit more romantic of an ending, it left me wanting more...

This manga is based on a series of light novels, which I hope are translated sometime soon...

The anime doesnt touch upon the last two volumes of this series, but it was a very good horror anime. I was genuinely scared watching it, rather than just b
Joy
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Based on a set of light novels by Fuyumi Ono, which was also adapted into an entertaining but not exceptional anime. The anime is fairly predictable and not actually very scary, but the character interactions are amusing enough that I watched the entire thing. The manga has most of the same flaws, but the strengths are watered down; in particular, the supporting cast lacks some of the warmth it has in the anime version because it can't draw upon the talent of the voice actors. Anyway, I'd recomm ...more
Shoujo Manga Book...: Ghost Hunt Discussion 15 18 Sep 27, 2014 02:21PM
Comic books/Graph...: July: Ghost Hunt 2 4 Aug 25, 2014 05:51PM
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • Kyo Kara MAOH!, Volume 01
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 1
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • Wishful Thinking (Swann Sisters Chronicles #1)
  • InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 1 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #1)
  • Girl Got Game, Vol. 1 (Girl Got Game, #1)
  • Love Monster, Vol. 1 (Love Monster, #1)

Ghost Hunt (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 2 (Ghost Hunt, #2)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 3 (Ghost Hunt, #3)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 4 (Ghost Hunt, #4)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 5 (Ghost Hunt, #5)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 6 (Ghost Hunt, #6)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 7 (Ghost Hunt, #7)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 8 (Ghost Hunt, #8)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 9 (Ghost Hunt, #9)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 10 (Ghost Hunt, #10)
  • Ghost Hunt, Volume 11 (Ghost Hunt, #11)