Start by marking “The Orange Tree” as Want to Read:
The Orange Tree

The Orange Tree

Raised by hulking ogres, fifteen-year-old Juniper can’t shake their belief that she’s puny and weak. Forget doing anything for her clan that’s risky or dangerous—like meeting another human. She can’t remember what being human is like, but she longs to explore beyond the ogre borders and learn more about her kind.

Then comes her chance. Juniper is finally chosen to fetch th
Published November 2nd 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Orange Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orange Tree

Start your review of The Orange Tree
Brenda
Juniper had been with the ogres for the past thirteen winters after Bila, her mother ogre picked her up after she wandered onto the ogres’ land from the land of the humans. She also had a magic wand with her which Bila guarded closely. Now fifteen years of age, Juniper wanted to fetch the tribute at the wall, which was done every two weeks when the humans left cattle and chickens for the ogres in the pact which stopped the ogres attacking the human village. This had been happening for over thirt ...more
Tabitha  Tomala
Sep 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: The Orange Tree

Thank you to Carol Riggs for providing me with a copy for an honest review!

As a young child, Juniper crossed the boundary between human and ogre lands. But instead of eating her an ogress took her into their home and raised her as an ogre. But Juniper has always wondered about the humans on the other side. A pact of peace forbids the two races from crossing over into each other’s lands. The only exception is when the ogres are allo
Carol Riggs
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I’ve always wanted to write a fairy tale retelling, reimagining it in my own words and populating it with my own characters while twisting the plot into something fresh and unique. This book, THE ORANGE TREE, is my first such tale—and I had a fantastic time with it. There’s just something about a girl being raised by ogres that captured my imagination.

Hulking ogres, a girl raised by ogres, her fox companion, a magic wand, a magic-hungry villager, and an attractive human boy who one day changes e
Lucie
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
YA books are not really my thing, but this one spoke to my love of fantasy. Juniper is a human baby who is rescued by an ogre couple who are childless. At the time of the story she is a teen. She longs to meet another human. There is a peace treaty in effect between the ogre clan and the nearby village that includes a magic wall separating the ogre lands from the human lands, except for one gate, and a tribute of animals paid by the humans to the ogres every two weeks. Juniper manages to convin ...more
Yolanda Smythe
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting take on a story I never knew about before reading this book. I am glad there was a synopsis of the original story at the end. It was good for comparison. But I still can't decide which I prefer. The plots are surprisingly different, yet some aspects remain the same and they both end up being very good stories.
I wish I had confirmation about what happened to Garn. Although I gather there was enough information to assume he was eaten.
Juniper is a brave and smart teen despit
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fairy-tale, fiction, ya
I don't believe I ever read the original fairy tale (it's nice that it's added in at the end of the book) but I liked this version. Juniper was interesting. I didn't think she necessarily made the best choices all the time, but it was always clear what she was trying to accomplish.

One of the things I liked most about the story was that the characters were a little bit complex. They weren't all good or all bad depending on whether they were humans or ogres, and how exactly an individual would re
Sherry Ellis
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fifteen-year-old Juniper has been raised by ogres most of her life. When she took her mother's wand and ended up on "the ogre side of the wall," she was separated from her humankind. Feeling more ogre than human, she had no idea who or what she really was. When Juniper is chosen to fetch the tribute, an offering from the humans meant to keep the peace between the two parties, she meets a young man named Nolan. It's love at first sight. But with that comes a whole lot of trouble.

The Orange Tree i
Lynda Young
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Orange Tree is a fairytale retelling about a human girl named Juniper who is raised by ogres. Ogres and Humans have a shaky truce after years of war. Humans are expected to offer tribute, and when the ogres finally let Juniper collect it, she meets a human for the first time. And he’s kinda cute! But, of course things go wrong and that makes for an exciting story.

I enjoyed the characters, the light touch of romance and the magic. The story has a wonderful atmosphere, and the pace kept me tur
Tyrean
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Orange Tree is a highly original and action-packed retelling of "The Bee and the Orange Tree" a fairy tale. In this story, the main character Juniper is a human girl raised by ogres and protected by her fierce ogress mother who carries a magical wand. Wanting nothing more than to satisfy her curiosity about humans, Juniper figures out a way to meet a human boy, and once they've met, a host of troubles and adventures begin.
This action-packed adventure includes a journey of self-discovery, co
Deb
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This delightful tale of a teenaged human girl raised by ogres was filled with hair-raising adventures, nails-biting worries, magical enchantments, things gone wrong, and a splash of love.

The fast-moving pace kept me reading and Juniper's discoveries about the human world and the mystery surrounding a magical wand added to the fun!
Barbara
Apr 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a retelling of "The Bee and the Orange Tree" a fairy tale, it is original and action-packed with friendship between ogre raised Juniper and human raised Nolan. A story that was delightful to read and kept me turning pages. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review. ...more
Halima Chefchaouni
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love fairy tale retellings, don't miss out on The Orange Tree, a magical adventure full of thrilling twists and compelling characters! I liked that this story was different from other fantasy books I've read, as I hadn't read anything focused on ogres before. The vivid writing and captivating plot just swept me away and kept me hooked until the very end. ...more
Linda
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Based on a fairy tale (The Bee and the Orange Tree), and reminiscent of others (I’m thinking The Ugly Duckling, Romeo and Juliet, others), this is a delightful tale set in a Medieval-ish time frame. There are interesting inventions like a language that seems part Frankish and part Latinate. I only wish the fox could have stayed with the heroine.
Luna Eumira
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book about a romantic ogre story was both friendly and inspirational to read. It is a retelling of a fairy tale that brings magic and adventure to life in more present terms. I would very happily watch this turned into a movie film. All in all, a great addition to every family's library. ...more
Kirsti Call
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an intriguing story about a human girl raised by ogres. I loved the juxtoposition of ogre lives and human ones and how each community has characteristics of the other. Well written and compelling!
Gilda Baker
Chelsea
James
Kelsey

• The Ickabog
  • A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • The Orchid Farmer's Sacrifice (The Red Crest Book 1)
  • Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert, #1)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • Paladin Unbound
  • Liftoff (The Rayatana #1)
  • The Iron Crown (Dragon Spirits, #1)
  • Death Perception
  • Clockwork, Curses and Coal (Punked Up Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Witch's Kind
  • Spindle's End
  • An Altar on the Village Green (The Chained God, #1)
  • Savvy (Savvy, #1)
  • Reaching For Normal (Bloo Moose #1)
  • Reckless (Mirrorworld, #1)
I'm a writer of Young Adult fiction who now lives in South Dakota, USA. My sci-fi debut, THE BODY INSTITUTE, explores themes of body image and identity. This book is under consideration for a TV series with producer Lane Shefter Bishop. The audiobook of the novel released April 2020. The sequel, SPARES, released January 2021.

My other books are BOTTLED, THE LYING PLANET, THE ORANGE TREE, the JUNCTI