Jump to ratings and reviews

Sunrise Lake #1

Murder at Sunrise Lake

#1 New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan reaches new heights of passion and suspense in this thrilling novel that takes readers deep into the California backcountry, where a woman is tormented by visions of a killer.

It starts in her dreams. Hideous flashes from a nightmare only she can stop. Images of a murderer stalking the ones she cares about most...

Stella Harrison thought she got away from the traumas of her past. Running the Sunrise Lake resort high in the Sierra Nevada mountains has brought her peace, even though she doesn't truly share her quiet life with anyone. Not even Sam, the hired handyman that notices everything and always seems to know exactly what she needs.

Stella doesn't know anything about Sam's past, but somehow over the last two years his slow, steady presence has slipped past her defenses. Still, she knows she can't tell him about her recent premonitions. So far there's been no murder. No body. No way to prove what's about to happen without destroying the life she's built for herself.

But a killer is out there. And Stella knows that this time she'll do whatever it takes to stop him.

Hardcover

First published June 29, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Christine Feehan

158 books50.2k followers
Christine Feehan is a #1 New York Times bestselling author multiple times over with her portfolio including over 90 published novels, including five series; Dark Series, GhostWalker Series, Leopard Series, Drake Sisters Series, the Sisters of the Heart Series, Shadow Riders and Torpedo Ink. All of her series have hit the #1 spot on the New York Times bestselling list as well. Her debut novel Dark Prince received 3 of the 9 Paranormal Excellence Awards in Romantic Literature (PEARL) in 1999. Since then she has been published by various publishing houses including Leisure Books, Pocket Books, and currently is writing for Berkley/Jove. She also has earned 7 more PEARL awards since Dark Prince.
Her series include:
The Dark Series - https://www.christinefeehan.com/darkb...
The GhostWalker series- https://www.christinefeehan.com/ghost...
The Leopard Series - https://www.christinefeehan.com/leopa...
The Shadow Series- https://www.christinefeehan.com/shado...
Torpedo Ink series- https://www.christinefeehan.com/torpe...

IN HER WORDS:
I've been a writer all of my life -- it is who I am. I write for myself and always have. The ability to create pictures and emotions with words is such a miracle to me. I read everything; I mean everything! All kinds of books, even encyclopedias. I am fascinated by the written word and I love storytellers. It is a great privilege to be counted one myself. (www.christinefeehan.com)

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
223 (6%)
1 star
127 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 548 reviews
Profile Image for Nilufer Ozmekik.
2,068 reviews38.1k followers
November 23, 2021
When a queen of paranormal romance writes a paranormal thriller/ romantic suspense without thinking any further you just claim your arc and as soon as you get the one, you perform your silliest dance moves, getting humiliated in front of public but you don’t have time to care enough because you already buried your head into your ereader. ( In my case: my nose just glued to my iPad screen, I looked so ridiculous but did I care? Absolutely not!)

But... yes when I start a sentence with this ominous word you may sense some hesitations and second thoughts will come out!

This book’s settling at Sunrise Resort located in the high Sierra Nevada mountains gives you the one location- claustrophobic- serial killer on the run vibes which was truly promising!

And Stella Harrison is beautiful, kind, hard worker, traumatized heroine of our story has a unique talent to have premonitions of murders before being committed via her vivid nightmares since her childhood.

Her daddy’s done bad things and she told her mommy who made her shut her mouth! Yes, she has tragic past and by owning this resort, forming good friendships, staying active, she build herself her new life.

Her two years long crush/ handyman Sam also confuses her mind. The steamy chemistry between them is obvious. Sam has also quiet, withdrawn man, whose body is covered in wounds, ex-military, presumed to be a ghost working for both agencies and government ( we don’t know for sure! )

When Stella thinks she’s pleased with her new life, her nightmares returned back and she witnesses a murder around the lake side. As a precaution she tries to stop people go fishing, arranging a girl camping with her friends to watch the area. And the thing she’s been afraid of happens. Somebody tries to kill someone she truly cares. Now she has to come clean, sharing her secret, talking with the authorities.

Her new identity will blow but she has to do something to stop a dangerous killer and save her loved ones from imminent threat which means she will be first target of the killer!

I found the pacing so slow and thriller parts of the story was a little weak, the culprit was too obvious from the beginning but the high chemistry between MCs and two broken souls’ second chance romance story was well executed!

It was solid three starred, okay but not freaking good reading for me! I enjoyed author’s paranormal semi erotic romance stories more! But at least characterization was okay! This book should be considered as contemporary fiction, romantic suspense more than thriller. First half of the book could be edited to fasten the past! Second half was much better. But mystery parts were a little missing.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.
Profile Image for Maria Clara.
963 reviews477 followers
October 8, 2022
AY, QUE LA FEEHAN SE NOS A PASADO DE BANDO🤭!

Y con esto no quiero decir que ahora le dé al bricolaje que, vete a saber si le da, solo que nos ha dejado huérfanas de 🔥!. Porque si algo caracterizaba sus historias es el: "Esto va a empezar a arder y de que manera". Vamos, algo en plan: "Esta escena está vetada para menores de 21 años🤪!".

(OJO, para las mentes más morbosas🤭, el FIRE es más simbólico que físico)

❤️Pero no nos desviemos del tema y vayamos al grano!

¿QUÉ PASARÍA SI TUVIERAS VISIONES SOBRE UN ASESINO EN SERIE?
Y, si, ¿todos tus amigos escondieran sus más oscuros secretos en el fondo de sus armarios?

MUERTE.
PERSECUCIÓN.
SANGRE.
TRAICIÓN.
Y AMOR.

BASTA UN SOLO SEGUNDO, PARA QUE TU VIDA CAMBIE PARA SIEMPRE!
Profile Image for Ankita.
27 reviews
July 3, 2021
If you are a CF fan, skip this book. If you want to see if you might like her books and pick this one to read, skip this book. In fact skip this book all together. Where do I start?? I am a hard core fan of Christine Feehan's and this book has left me so disappointed. It almost feels as if she did not write this book at all. Why? Read on......

1. Her normal elevated emotional and sexual tension between protagonists is completely missing in this book. Fans of her Dark, Torpedo, Ghostwalker and Shadow (in fact any) series will be left wondering about the blandness of this book. There is no sexual tension or emotional exchange that has so far been a hallmark of her books. The kisses between the hero and heroine are almost Victorian in their chasteness.
2. It would be better to characterize the book as a romantic-suspense rather than paranormal romance. Yes, the heroine has flashes of precognition when the killer is in the planning stages but other than that there is nothing remotely paranormal about this book.
3. Too much talk, not enough action. The story sort of moves along in a bumpy fashion with long stretches of talk etc. with occasions of action making for difficult reading.
4. The hero is the most flat character ever. I have seen Ms. Feehan give more personality to her villains in past books. There is no connecting with him.
5.The book needed major editing of long prosy dialogues between the multitude of characters. Each female character's backstories have been discussed with no clear connection and feels rather isolated so you keep losing track of what is going on. We did not need the backgrounds of each of the heroines friends in detail and their life history. If writer wanted to leave characters for development in further books in the series, their backstories should have been left for their own book and if this is a standalone novel then their backstories add nothing to the story anyway.

Over all, this book was really disappointing for me. Usually I finish CF's books within a day of getting it and yet I kept leaving this one after every few pages and found myself gritting my teeth and going back in, hoping it improves........only it never did.
Profile Image for Joan.
388 reviews52 followers
July 1, 2021
Romantic suspense + paranormal elements + the incomparable Christine Feehan = a phenomenal reading experience. The action, twists and turns of Murder at Sunrise Lake kept me riveted throughout the story.

Christine Feehan is such a consummate storyteller, introducing a plethora of genres, characters, and setting which transports readers to a myriad of worlds to visit and savor.

The protagonist of this story, Stella Harrison, is a successful owner of Sunrise Lake resort. But Stella has her own secrets stemming from a devastating past. Traumatized as a young child by visions which revealed her own father was a serial killer, Stella's young life was turned inside out. The visions stopped for several years, only to return when Stella was an adolescent wherein she helped catch another serial killer but Stella's name was leaked to the press and her young life became a nightmare again..

Changing her name as a n adult, purchasing the resort, and losing herself min the anonymity and beauty of the mountains, Stella rebuilt her life with new friends...until the visions returned to show her that a new serial killer was coming to disrupt the beautiful tranquillity of her lake.

One of Stella's trusted friends and handyman is Sami Rossi, a man with his own nebulous past. For two years, Sam and Stella's relationship had developed into a c comfortable, platonic friendship wherein deeper, romantic bond had formed. However, when Stella's nightmares returned, she was not sure who she could trust with the truth of her past. But as a natural-born protector of those she called family, Stella would need to make a choice...to trust Sam or hunt the serial killer lone-wolf style.

I loved this book. I loved Stella and her family by choice. The magical beauty of Sunrise Lake was spellbinding as the descriptions of the mouton, lake, was the perfect backdrop for a suspenseful murder mystery.

Murder at Sunrise Lake is Christine Feehan's standalone story in many years and her transition into the suspense genre. This book surpassed all my expectations...the likable characters, breathtaking setting interspersed with haunting, paranormal elements are the foundation for potentially (hopefully) more books spinning off from this excellent book. Very highly recommended!
Profile Image for Jennifer Thomas.
36 reviews
September 2, 2021
I can't really review the plot of this book as there wasn't much to it and it wasn't very memorable, but what I do know is that everyone in this podunk mountain town is the most gorgeous supermodel to ever model or handsomest, manliest man to ever man and they are all talented in every single possible thing there is. If you read this book, you'll know it too. You'll really, really know it. You'll be beaten about the head and neck with details of their beauty and talent multiple times per chapter until you hate beautiful, talented people with all of your mediocre heart.
Profile Image for Teresa.
1,158 reviews6 followers
July 10, 2021
This book was such a disappointment. It was unbelievably boring and repetitive. I wonder if there was even an editor, it should have been at least 200 pages shorter. Sadly, I also didn’t feel any chemistry between the main characters.
Profile Image for Maureen Carden.
273 reviews70 followers
December 31, 2022
Murder at Sunrise Lake is one of the best Christine Feehan books I have read. There are several murders, but these are almost secondary to the warm and devoted circle of friends found in a small town on the Eastern Sierra Mountains. A bit high in the percentage of fabulous women, but I'm just hoping this means MaSL is the beginning of a new series. Yay! Something else I loved (although I might be in the minority here), lovely romance, but not pages and pages and pages (I might have read too many Ghostwalker books in a row) of hot sex. Just the right amount. Just as there is just the right amount of the paranormal. So you go, Christine and let's hope this is the beginning of a new series.
Profile Image for Lucy Dosch (EBookObsessed).
1,062 reviews22 followers
May 25, 2022
I was so excited to read a Christine Feehan novel but this was so disappointing.

I had wanted to read a Christine Feehan novel for some time but I didn’t have the time to invest in her series which were all well into the story line and character development. I did try and read one of the ARC’s I had received but I could tell right away that I didn’t have enough background in the world building to completely enjoy it. So this story being a stand along mystery was a perfect choice.

The mystery itself was very creative since we had a serial killer so clever as to plan his killings to look like accidents. This story takes place in a small town located in the wilderness of the Sierras surrounded by mountains, woods and national parks, and in the peak season, it is filled with inexperienced tourists and even experienced climbers have accidents. This killer could have succeeded for decades unchecked. Our heroine, instead of being part of the investigation and working out something that would normally be overlooked and therefore, proving that the accidents were in fact attacks by a serial killer, our heroine had a gift of dreaming of the killer’s planned murders. As you know, I’m a fan of anything paranormal, but this wasn’t well presented at all nor did it offer much in solving the murders. Stella never really got enough information in time to stop the murders. Stella dreamed little snippets each night, growing with more detail or as she put it, it was like looking through a camera lens and the view getting wider each night– and longer too which doesn’t bode with her camera analogy.

Stella’s father was a famous serial killer and Stella was partially responsible for putting him away but it took a long time. She was only four when started dreaming of her father’s murders and although her mother tried to convince her that she was wrong, Stella finally admitted to her father that she knew, leading to his downfall. Years later, Stella once again dreamed of a serial killer and was witness to his killings before they happened, and once again Stella was responsible for bringing the killer to the attention of the police but it also brought her unwanted notoriety.

Stella changed her name to Harrison and moved the remote town in the wilderness, and kept everyone at arms length, well, except for her tight group of BFFs, who were all hiding major secrets of their own. Just as an aside, if you want to become my BFF, you will have to accept that I have no deep, dark hidden secrets, I had a boring middle-class childhood and haven’t murdered anyone. So how the hell did Stella, the women who keeps everyone at arms length, find seven BFFs who are all hiding major secrets, in fact not one but two of whom are hiding major mob connections? REALLY?

I had major issues with the writing style of this book but since I haven’t read Christine Feehan before I don’t know if this was her usual presentation or an anomaly. I thought I knew who the killer was and wanted to find out if I was right so I kept going but reading this book was like reading an assigned book in school. There was a lot of sighing on my part, checking my progress, walking away to do chores (never a good sign for any novel) and forcing myself to pick it up again. The last ten percent of the book I started flipping through until I finally got to unveiling the killer.

This does not appear to be part of a series, and it really doesn’t work as part of a series unless this small town is the most dangerous place where serial killers converge, yet as I mentioned all of Stella’s friends are hiding deep, dark secrets. Stella never mentioned her past or that her father is a serial killer until she needs something from one of her friends to help her interpret her dream, then Stella is confessing and then her friend confesses their hidden secret. This kind of detail snippet is something you give if you are trying to entice your audience to want more from a character (read: next book) but pretty much was a waste of time and pages since it didn’t move this story along. And if I wanted to excite my readers about a series, I would drop one long background story in each book, not five long background stories for all my heroine’s girls, as well as multiple descriptions about the gorgeousness of each woman.

As I mentioned many times in my reviews, I don’t like a unnecessary glut of repetitive information. Tell me the hero of the story is quiet/ Tell me that t he is good at fixing things around Stella’s campground. Tell me that he has the dangerous feel of a predator. This is all important information. Tell me he is great at fixing things, that he is quiet and keeps to himself, and that he is deadly once a chapter is a bit much. I got it. Yeah, yeah. Sam’s a one man army!

I was supposed to like Stella and Sam as they were the main characters, but I simply couldn’t. Sam was supposed to be the usual romance hero who is both Alpha, since he is ultra protective (remember, he’s dangerous) and Beta, in that he takes care of her every need even before she knows what she needs. She’s having a bad day and comes home to find him with a glass of wine for her, and making her dinner. He doesn’t live there, yet he is often in her house making her dinner! THAT’S A STALKER!!!! Additional stalker notes: Whenever Stella wakes up from her nightmares, Sam is sitting in a chair across the room watching her. Even after they start their relationship and are having sex, she wakes up to find him in the chair…watching…her. Are you F’ing kidding me? I was creeped out by the third time this happened. Don’t F’ing watch me sleep, Dude! That’s F’ing creepy!!

And how both Stella and Sam could feel whenever the killer was watching them is unknown but apparently the killer spend all their time killing or watching Stella. Get blinds on your bedroom window! What are you exhibitionists?

I simply cannot recommend slogging through this story to mine the few moments of interest. P.S. I was right about the killer. Problem is, the only backstory of interest as to why the killer was killing felt glossed over especially after everyone else told their sad tale of woe.

Received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Miss_Cultura.
800 reviews129 followers
March 1, 2022
3,5

Me ha gustado la trama y todos esos personajes que ha dado vida la autora, pero con tanto nombre y tantas cosas que suceden me perdía, me tenía que sentar a leer y enterarme de la persona con la que la protagonista hablaba.
Está bien y he adorado de que la trama amorosa se vaya dando forma lentamente, y hasta creo que parece secundaria.
En algunos instantes por lo que decía uno de los protagonistas tenía la sensación de que escondía un secreto "más sobrenatural" de lo que nos tiene acostumbrad@s la autora, pero no y es algo que he disfrutado, ya que hay mucho hermetismo en torno a algún pasado que otro de los personajes y que lentamente conoceréis.
En algunos momentos se me hizo rápida y en otras lenta, pero me ha gustado.
Próximamente mi opinión más completa,Sin Spoilers en www.paseandoamisscultura.com
Profile Image for Kathy Martin.
3,292 reviews73 followers
May 28, 2021
Christine Feehan has written a thriller but not totally abandoned her paranormal roots. Stella Harrison is building her life anew in the Sierra Nevada mountains as the owner of a resort when she starts having nightmares about a serial killer who is staging his murders to look like accidents.

Unfortunately, this is not a new thing for Stella. When she was four, five and six she had the same kind of dreams showing that her father was a serial killer. Her mother denied it and forced Stella to go along with her. When he was caught, her mother committed suicide and threw Stella into the foster care system where a good placement gave her a new mother-figure and therapy.

When she was fourteen or fifteen she began having nightmares of serial killings again. Only this time her foster mother believed her even when the police did not. When this killer was caught, Stella was glad to be able to go to college and run to the Sierras to build a new life.

But now the nightmares are back...,

She believes that no one knows about her past. She has formed a new group of friends who all want a new start in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains. She even has the beginnings of a romantic relationship with Sam Rossi who is her quiet, but extremely competent, handyman at the resort. Sam is also a man with a hidden past.

In fact, all of her circle of friends have hidden pasts in addition to being extremely competent, wealthy, and physically attractive. From Raine who does some secret work for the government to Zehra who fled an arranged marriage in Azerbaijan, Vienna who is a surgical nurse and world class poker player to Harlow who is a Senator's daughter who has nothing to do with her father and Shabina who runs the Sunrise Café and is the daughter of a man who's called in to fight oil well fires all over the world.

Along with Sam and her circle of friends, she determines to find and stop the serial killer who seems to be obsessed with her. I liked the way her nightmares gave her more and more clues about the crimes. I liked the way her relationship with Sam developed. I liked gradually learning more about Sam's secret past. I liked that most of the characters had dogs including Stella's Airedale Bailey.

The story did have some problem for me. First of all, the story seemed bogged down by repetition and over-abundant description. The story would be moving along and then it would come to a dead halt by paragraph long descriptions of each of Stella's posse. Then it would get going again and stop for very detailed descriptions of the scenery and how much Stella loves the security of her new home. There would be descriptions and repetitions of the descriptions of some of the problems Stella had with the people who came to her resort. At least three times, she muses on how alcohol and water don't go together when she is thinking about the dangers around her.

It was a readable and exciting story. I would have liked it a little better if the characters would have been more realistic. It seems like everyone in town was beautiful, brilliant, and rich - and had secret pasts.
Profile Image for Tammy .
918 reviews111 followers
July 8, 2021
I had given up Christine a long time ago, but when I saw this new one I was really intrigued. So I thought what the heck, one more try.

Nope. I should have left well enough alone. The same things that irked the living daylights out of me then, irked the living daylights out of me now.

I liked Stella and Sam. What I didn't like was the piles of information dumps. She could have removed a quarter, possibly more, of the book regarding the friends. I didn't need to know their entire life stories, what their houses looked like, all about their pets, etc. They were not the main character, but often times that was forgotten with as much info as Feehan gave on them. For a standalone, she sure made sure she built up that group of friends.

Then there was the repetitiveness. How many times do I need to read that Sam is quiet? Inexpressive? Wears a mask? Is lethal? Dangerous? Yada. Yada. How many times do I need to read how loyal the friends are? How they all have secrets in their pasts? Are gorgeous? Smart? Yada. Yada. And a bunch of other unnecessary details that were pounded in.

I do like that Sam was different from Feehan's other heroes. While he was alpha and dangerous, he was gentle and patient with Stella. He didn't act overbearing, wasn't a douchecanoe. He didn't scream I am man, hear me roar. He treated Stella like an equal, while making sure she knew he valued everything about her. I liked that Feehan did a good job developing his character.

I really liked Stella's visions. I thought it was unique that she could see a serial killer planning his his murders. I really wish we had spent more time on this and less on the other crap. I wish we had seen Stella more as a child, when she first started having this visions as her father went on a murdering spree. It would have added so much depth to the book, and to the character.

I liked Stella and Sam as a couple. I wish we got to see them in more of this setting. If you read Feehan for the sexy times, you won't get that with this one. Just a heads up.

I also thought the ending was just kind of meh.

Anyway, other than those couple of things I liked, I was bored out of my mind.

description
Profile Image for Lover of Romance.
2,699 reviews779 followers
July 30, 2021
Murder at Sunrise Lake is the most recent release from Christine Feehan, and this is a novel I think I was having mixed feelings on whether I wanted to read it or not. I wasn't sure if this would be typical Christine Feehan style or if she going into another genre of writing like I have seen from other authors. But I also trust this author and so I was able to go into this book with an open mind. And while I did enjoy this one, it was vastly different from anything I have read from her previously. This is a story that does contain a romance, but its not a full-frontal seat like what I expected to find from her, as the mystery thriller plotline is what became the driving force of the story.

Murder at Sunrise Lake begins with our heroine, Stella Harrison, who is having psychic dreams to a serial killer. Stella has had these "gifts" since she was little, but she has in her own way found her way to peace in a lake mountain town up in the Sierra's. For two years, she has been drawn to her handyman, Sam, but they have remained friends, until a full trust is formed and now Sam is pursuing her in his gentle but firm way. There is a sense of mystery surrounding Sam and his abilities, she knows he has a past, but he has been her biggest support and when he is almost killed from the killer she is having psychic visions of, she is more determined than ever to find this man before he hurts anyone else. But as she gets closer and closer, the attacks get closer to home, threatening all those she loves, and the reveal of the killer will be someone she least suspects and only working in unity with each other will she and Sam take down this threat to everything and everyone they hold most dear.

I found Murder at Sunrise Lake to be such an interesting story. I will say that the first half of the story I was much more drawn to, the romance between Sam and Stella seemed to be much more focused than in the later half. So I have a feeling that is why the first half of the story kept me more in tune than the later half. Sam was such a different hero. He does have a past in the military, and has familial connections to the mafia, but he is also a stong and steady male who will do anything to stand for and protect his woman. He definitely is an alpha male but with plenty of soft and tender spots which I found endearing. The heroine Stella, is a character that my heart just broke for. I absolutely adored her in many ways, but I also wanted so much more for her. She has suffered so much over the years and wanted her to find her HEA with Sam. You see what a fighter that she is for her friends and how tormented she becomes over the victims of the serial killer. I am very curious if this will just be a standalone or if this is a new series that Christine Feehan will be cultivating. It should prove interesting to see how it all plays out in the end. I still have some mixed feelings about this book in some ways. I did find the plot so richly packed in unique elements, and I did enjoy seeing one of my favorite authors delve into a different genre, but the writing did feel a bit different. It has the Feehan style in some ways, in another way, it had a unique touch that I don't think I have ever seen from her.

Overall I found Murder at Sunrise Lake to be a thrilling penned novel, it has its own beauty in its moments, a intense but secure romance, lighter on the heat but found a stronger play on the plot, a story that will leave you on edge in its development of mystery and edgy suspense. Its a story that is steady and sure in its intricate play of plot points and one which will stun you in the least suspecting of ways.
949 reviews
July 4, 2021
I am a huge, huge fan of Christine Feehan, have read and loved all her books so far,but, not this one. Nothing in this book says Christine Feehan to me- the paranormal bits were minimal, the suspence and drama was ok and the romance totally lacked the heat and sizzle that is so Christine Feehan. Overall this book fell flat. It was boring as hell, I struggled to keep reading. At the end it felt like this book wasn't even written by Christine Feehan.
I am still a huge fan, and Christine Feehan will always be one of my go-to authors.
Profile Image for Marta Marlau.
391 reviews10 followers
April 28, 2022
Es una historia bastante lineal, algo que no me suele gustar encontrar en este género. En mi opinión, le falta acción, profundidad de trama y personajes, así como un mayor desarrollo en general.
La he sentido muy predecible, sabiendo desde muy pronto quién era la persona culpable. El don de Stella me parece puesto ahí para no tener que dar mayores explicaciones y no me ha atrapado.
La forma de contarlo me ha parecido bastante plana y entraba en bucle en varias ocasiones. Por desgracia, no ha sido un libro para mí.
Profile Image for Maureen Gianinio.
104 reviews10 followers
July 3, 2021
Can her dreams help her stop the murders, find out who the killer is, protect her friends? Or will her fears come true and prove... Accidents happened all the time in the Sierras...and this is a great place for murder.

With this mystery suspense romance, Christine Feehan has once again proven she knows how to pull readers into a story and keep them there until the very last word.

Knightly is a small town in the Eastern Sierra Nevadas.  Home to many who have found peace and escape from traumas and pasts they want to forget. Strong friendships have been forged in spite of the secrets or more likely because of them and the understanding some things don’t have to be shared.

Owner of the Sunrise Lake Resort responsible for building up the businesses and employment of Knightly Stella Harrison has become a much loved and respected citizen and friend.

When they are close by Stella can see the actions of a Serial Killer in her dreams. Her past trauma comes from discovering her father and another serial killer through them as a child and a teen and the terror and notoriety it had exposed her to, the lack of acceptance. She doesn’t want to lose all she’s found here due to her secrets being revealed.

However the dreams are happening again. Each night showing a little more before the killer strikes. These dreams and Stella’s resulting stress are written so well I found myself leaning closer to the page during them hoping to see more clue, help Stella figure out the location, the victims, even the killer.

Due to ‘edge of your seat’ circumstances she is forced to reveal her ability and what's happening to Sam, the resort handyman with secrets of his own, who has worked his way into her heart. Instead of denying her, he believes her. He gives support and becomes a partner in her search for this killer.  Not your usual get the ice water heat level from Christine Feehan, it is complete and heart touching sweet romance that shows the attraction and passion. Shows these two grow as individuals and a couple as they search the Sierras, the community,  and their lives for who might be endangering them and friends. It is full of Dreamy Sigh moments.  Stella wants to protect Sam from taking action similar to the past he left. Him appreciating her concern, but knowing he can handle it and do what needs to be done, just as much as she has stepped forward to act with hers.

As the dreams evolve so does Stella’s determination to figure it out, meaning she’ll need to go to friends for insight. As she shares her secrets their bonds grow stronger, others begin to share their secrets. Which, along with other happenings keep the reader wondering, guessing the who what and why of the killer.

I love the bond of her friendships as much as the relationship with Sam. These women empower each other, help Stella see her dreams and ability to look at them in a more adult mind set than one of a terrified child. They all work together to try and thwart the killer, offer support and comfort when they can’t. Awesome banter and levity is shared at the right times always lifting each other.

Such a well built story unravels the mystery until the climatic conclusion and motive are revealed. Stella and Sam facing the pasts they came to the Sierras to move past becoming beneficial to keeping their home and the peace they found in each other.

Profile Image for Rosa Sharon (iScream Book Blog).
1,867 reviews294 followers
May 28, 2021
"It's just that no one can really be friends with a ghost, Stella, and that's what he is."

Wow. What a ride the author took me on. I'm a big fan of her Torpedo Ink series so I already knew she had a gift for writing suspense. I went in expecting it. Knowing...but not knowing. You know what I mean? It's like watching a horror movie with your hand over your eyes, peeking through two fingers. You're afraid to look but you can't not look.

It was so exciting to experience the events from the safety of my Kindle. I got the benefits of the action and suspense without the risk the characters were facing. I enjoyed the thrill of trying to figure out whodunit while at the same time afraid I was right about who I suspected. Sometimes we want to be wrong, right?

And while this story is what I'd call a psychological thriller, it also falls into the romantic suspense category. Cuz, you know, Sam. Yeah, he's all that. #SexySam,#ProtectiveSam, #SweetSam, #BadassSam, #GhostSam. But...is he? All I can tell you is you want to read this book to find out. I really enjoyed this new direction the author is going in and I'm totally down for more of the same. The line forms here...
Profile Image for romancelibrary.
1,037 reviews446 followers
October 21, 2021
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Murder at Sunrise Lake is the most painfully boring, repetitive, and predictable book I have read so far this year. It's a romantic suspense with a paranormal element. The heroine has psychic dreams of serial killings before they happen and her visions lead her to believe that a serial killer will soon disrupt her idyllic small town.

What I liked:

- The romance:
There's no steam, but I liked Stella and Sam's relationship. They've known each other for 2 years. Their friendship and mutual attraction are already established. My only complaints: 1) lack of steam and 2) lack of flashbacks showing us how they met and how their friendship started and grew. I wish there had been more build up between Stella and Sam.

- The setting:
The story is set in the Eastern Sierras, so the setting is incredibly atmospheric and beautiful. I truly enjoyed the landscape descriptions. It was very immersive and added a layer of eeriness to the mystery plot line.

What I didn't like:

The plot is interesting enough, but it is so dreadfully slow-paced. This book could have been significantly shortened. There is a massive information dump about every single one of Stella's friends, which takes up at least 20% of the book. Stella has long and repetitive inner monologues about how sexy and protective Sam is: "He was Sam" or "Sam is this and that" or "Wow Sam is so hot." All of this is repeated a MILLION FUCKING TIMES.

Stella's group of friends reminded me of a group of high school girls or college freshmen girls. They did not read as grown ass adults. Stella has about a million friends even though she's described as a reserved woman who has a lot of secrets. Oh, and by the way, all of her friends are super hot women who attract all the men in town. You will never forget just how hot and perfect these women are because the author will remind you of their hotness in every single chapter. This also applies to all of the men in this book. The author will remind you on every other page that the men have ~oooooooh muscless babyyyy~ and that they are veeeeeerrrryyyyyy sexaayyyy. She will repeat this over and over again until all your brain can think about is "wow these people are SO HOT." 70% of this book is all about how Stella's girlfriends are hot supermodels who make the sexy muscular men pant like dogs.

Instead of wasting so many pages on this repetitive bullshit, the author could have spent more time writing an interesting and fast-paced mystery to keep the reader's attention. The killer's identity was so obvious from the very beginning. The author didn't even try to conceal his identity lol. I also wish that the romance was spicy. Regrettably, I yawned my way through this book.

P.S. One of the two ~ethnic~ female characters escaped an unwanted arranged marriage because obviously that's the only way you can add diversity in your story.
Profile Image for Aksa.
401 reviews37 followers
December 6, 2021
3.5 stars!!

Interesting. Mysterious. With minimal amount of romance. It was my first by Christine Feehan. I needed to read something paranormal to snap me out of the emotional daze I got from the previous book. It was nice. The story idea was unique. And I picked it up without knowing anything about this book

I liked stella's character a lot and the way the surrounding environment was described it felt like living in a beautiful dream. I loved the girls, they were the best kind of friends with their own secrets. But Sam, well he was a contradiction. I like men who are confident of themselves but still he always felt like a ghost to me. Still I loved the way he molded himself into stella and the way he protected her. I loved his mind. The killer was not quite so shocking to me. I kinda guessed that earlier. But I thought his chapter closed too easily
This book was not the best paranormal romance I read. But it's still good for a beginner and for someone who wants a little less messy paranormal stories
Profile Image for The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha).
1,821 reviews301 followers
June 21, 2021

Murder at Sunrise Lake proves again why I love Feehan's writing. She creates amazing suspense, some seriously spine chilling moments, and romance. There is something here for everyone!

I love police procedurals, true crime, and thrillers, so when I found out Christine Feehan was writing a super suspenseful romance with heroine who could "see" a killer I was titivated for sure. Feehan weaves in some supernatural elements into all of her stories and that is another aspect that makes me love her writing. Murder at Sunrise Lake is spooky and I was creeped out many times. Because the heroine, Stella, dreams of the killers actions, you have a really unique glimpse that is gripping and creepy. I loved it! Stella doesn't want these visions, and while she wants to help put this murderer away, she doesn't want people thinking she is crazy.

Now, I will be honest and say I figured out the identity of the killer fairly quickly. Truly, I do in most books I read. I watch WAY too much crime tv. However, that didn't dull my enjoyment of the story overall! It was an interesting game of "how to catch a killer" once I figured out the who.

The romance is rock solid and I loved that. Sam and Stella are a great pair, but Sam has secrets of his own. He was a steady hero for her and I appreciated that it was minimal drama between these two.

If you like your books with touches of thriller, paranormal, romance, and suspense, Murder at Sunrise Lake is a satisfying pick that will hit all your buttons!

POV:
  Tears: no
  Trope: small town, psychic abilities, dysfunctional family
  Triggers:
  Series/Standalone: standalone
  Cliffhanger:
  HEA:

The In Death series by JD Robb, Layla by Colleen Hoover, Say You're Sorry by Melinda Leigh...then you will probably like Murder at Sunrise Lake!

Murder at Sunrise Lake
ibooks-icon amazon-icon-star

murder at sunrise lake

See full review on The Book Disciple
Profile Image for Adaiah.
165 reviews14 followers
June 30, 2021
Murder Mystery, Romantic Suspense, Psychic Twinkle

Stella Harrison, owner of Sunrise Lake Resort high up in the Sierra Mountains has made a comfortable, life for herself, considering she's the daughter of a convicted serial killer, that she turned in to the Police. Stella has a gift or a curse as she see's it, that gives her the ability to dream for 5 nights straight about a serial killer, and his next victim, and after that 2 days later a body is found. Stella realizes that she dreams about the murders because she's actually been in contact, and touched the killer.

Sam Rossi, the handyman of Sunrise Lake Resort has secrets, but has always been protective of Stella, as well as being a friend to her. But, Stella can tell he has military background, and predatory instincts. Sam, knows something's bothering Stella, and offers his support, and protection as their feelings for each other grows. Slowly Stella reveals to Sam her psychic ability, and he believes her. As the hunt begins with a new dream, Stella, Sam, and an assortment of friends try to get ahead of the killer, and save lives. Unfortunately the bodies begin to pile up. Stella, and Sam have a final opportunity to stop the serial killer as Stella's new dream shows her dying in her home at the hands of a murderer. Who can this couple really trust, when they can't tell the difference between friend, and foe?
Profile Image for Donna.
1,813 reviews2 followers
July 18, 2021
Stella Harrison owns Sunrise Lake Resort in the Sierra Mountains, an hour's drive from the nearest town. She's been having dreams about a murder that hasn't happened yet. Sam Rossi is her handyman with certain skills that he doesn't want to use anymore.

Feehan is a prolific author who I've never read before because she normally writes paranormal stories. Not my cup of tea. I looked at the title and synopsis on this one and decided to give it a try. Well, I learned it's still not my cup of tea even though there's no paranormal in this story.l In my much younger days, all I read was romance books and I outgrew them. This one is definitely written in the tone of romance. The characters were all a little too goody goody for me to enjoy. But I bet romance readers will like it.
Profile Image for Lindsey  Domokur.
1,264 reviews97 followers
June 28, 2021
3.5 stars for this one! I was so excited for a paranormal romantic suspense thriller by Christine Feehan! I am all about paranormal and this looked like the perfect book.
Stella has been having nightmares of serial killers ever since she was a child. It started with her dad and she knew about all the things he did and her mother tried to tell her she was crazy. At the age of 4 she started seeing things no child should see, but she was made to think these things weren't real. As she got older, and was in foster care, she had one person who believed in her and she helped to save lives.
Stella now lives on Sunrise Lake and has a lot of friends that she loves and trusts, but none more than Sam. He came into her life and never asked questions. He sits by her side and is there for her everyday. He knows her better than anyone and she doesn't want to ruin their friendship by asking more from him. Sam is like a ghost. He works for Stella and doesn't talk about his past. He came in and started working and wanted to stay off the grid. When Stella begins having nightmares again, Sam is by her side, and their feelings start to grow.
I absolutely loved Sam. He was broody and quiet and the perfect gentleman.
There was a lot of build up and this book was really long. There could have been a lot that was taken out and it might have made the story better. I would like to say I didn't guess the killer the first time I was introduced to him, but I did. That made it a little bit of a let down for me, but the story still had great chemistry and suspense. I will read more by this author for sure. Thank you to Netgalley, Berkley and Christine Feehan for an early copy.
Profile Image for maskedbookblogger.
353 reviews13 followers
December 2, 2022
Vom Klappentext sowie vom richtig tollen Cover habe ich mir vom Mystery-Thriller „Sunrise Lake“ sehr viel erhofft. In diesem Buch geht es um die Protagonistin Stella Harrison, die am Sunrise Lake ein neues Leben beginnen wird. In ihrem neuen Zuhause ist sie besonders einem Mann namens Sam nah. Dieser kennt jedoch aber auch nicht ihr tiefstes dunkles Geheimnis. Eines Tages wird Stella von ihrer Vergangenheit eingeholt. Alpträume von einem noch nicht geschehenden Mord schwirren durch ihren Kopf. Kein Unfug, da Stella sich sicher ist, dass der Mord passieren wird. Bisher hat ihr Verstand sie nie enttäuscht. Stella versucht alles zu tun, damit der Mord nicht passiert. Dabei muss sie aber auch Sam hinterfragen.

Leider war „Sunrise Lake“ für mich ein sehr großer Flop und auch im Allgemeinen kein richtiger Thriller.

In das Buch bin ich mit sehr vielen Schwierigkeiten eingestiegen. Über 20 Seiten Kapitellänge für einen Thriller und ein schwierig zu lesender Schreibstil stellten sich von vorne bis zum Ende des Buches in meinen Weg. Die Kapitel waren derartig lang in diesem Buch, dass ich ein Kapitel gelesen habe und mir danach die Lust vergangen ist, weiterzulesen. Man hätte die Kapitel viel kürzer gestalten können, da meiner Meinung nach teilweise in einem Kapitel so viele unnötige Randinformationen thematisiert werden, die für den Handlungsverlauf irrelevant sind.

Darüber hinaus konnte ich mich mit den Figuren nicht anfreunden. Stella aber auch die anderen Figuren waren für mich leider trotz authentischen Charakterzügen nicht greifbar. Zudem empfand ich, dass die Probleme der Figuren viel wichtiger waren, als was in der Handlung so passiert. Somit habe ich mich in diesem Buch nur gequält. Auch wenn das Ende des Buches schlüssig erscheint, hatte ich zum Schluss nie das Bedürfnis so richtig zu erfahren, was es mit Stellas Vergangenheit auf sich hat.

Zusammenfassend kann ich somit sagen, dass für mich persönlich in diesem Buch vieles nicht so stimmt. Ich habe mir viel erhofft und wurde enttäuscht. Das Buch ist in meinen Augen viel zu ruhig, zu langatmig und nach Spannung sucht man vergeblich. Somit ist es für mich kein Thriller. Ich kann schweren Herzens an dieser Stelle nur 1,5 Sterne vergeben.
Profile Image for Caro.
342 reviews
October 16, 2022
3.5 ⭐️

¿Se imaginan tener el poder de proveer los asesinatos de los asesinos en serie?

Stella desde los 4 años ha tenido esta clase de pesadillas... empezando que era su padre el asesino en serie. Y su madre decidió ignorar esto para no perder su estilo de vida ¡qué gran madre!

A los 16 volvió a tener estas pesadillas y fue fundamental su ayuda para atraparlo... aunque por esto tuvo que cambiarse de nombre y mudarse a otro lugar. A la Sierra. Un lugar en el que por primera vez siente paz. Allí conoce el valor de la verdadera amistad. Y el amor.

Hace dos años contrató a Sam. Un hombre silencioso pero que siempre está cuando ella lo necesita. Tuvo un mal día, Sam le prepara su plato favorito.

Hasta que por fin, después de dos largos años empiezan una relación aunque es justo cuando Stella tiene nuevamente pesadillas. Un asesino en serie está cerca. Y cada vez será peor.

Poco a poco, Stella deberá confiar en sus mejores amigas su más oscuro secreto para que la ayuden y entre esto, descubrirá que solo puede soñar con el asesino en serie cuando ha tenido contacto físico con este. Y aunque ella quiera agarrarlo pronto, no será fácil. Es alguien que conoce muy bien el lugar y que lleva años planeando esto.

El asesino me lo supuse desde el principio y me fui a confirmarlo leyendo el final. Nunca lo intenten jajjajaajajajaD.

La historia me gustó y creo que el hecho de que Stella y sus amigas tienen oscuros pasados y están por la misma razón viviendo en la sierra, buscando paz. Hace que su amistad sea más bonita.

La relación de Sam y Stella va lento. Se han conocido por más de 2 años pero mi pero es que demasiadas veces Stella repetía lo grandioso que era Sam, todas sus habilidades y destrezas. Te lo acepto una vez pero varias, ay no, 🙈.

Me faltó quizá un poco más de acción y de conocer el pasado del asesino. Entender por su punto de vista sus razones. Y que en ocasiones no tuviera monólogos inmensos.

Pero si quieren leer algo que los saque de zona de confort, este es su libro.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Sofi (sofi.bookshelf).
510 reviews474 followers
July 31, 2022
3.5 ⭐️

No suelo leer muchos thriller. Quiero hacerlo, pero soy más fan del romance, así que este libro fue la mezcla perfecta.

Tenemos este pueblo en el que todos los que viven allí están escapando de algo o es el único lugar que conocen. Todo es bastante tranquilo hasta que comienzan a suceder asesinatos. Nuestra protagonista sueña lo que pasará 5 días antes de la tragedia y eso solo ocurre cuando se trata de un asesino en serie. ¿Lograrán atraparlo?

Me gustó bastante la idea de este libro, pero siento que hizo falta más desarrollo. No me terminé de creer nunca la habilidad de nuestra protagonista y tampoco la entendía. Creo que esta historia entra también en el ámbito sobrenatural, esa es la única explicación que se me ocurre.

Tampoco fui muy fan de la forma de escribir de la autora. Siento que describía demasiado y de forma algo tediosa, por lo que me costó meterme de lleno en la historia.

Lo que si quiero recalcar es que el romance me gustó. Apenas apareció Sam con su aura misteriosa yo quería ver el romance surgir y me gustó como se hizo.

Considero que la historia es algo predecible desde cierto punto. En un momento descubren una pista muy obvia (como en el 40% del libro) y desde ese ahí yo ya sabía quién era el asesino. Siento que faltó más misterio en ese lado.

Otra cosa que quiero mencionar: el final fue demasiado abrupto. Nos enteramos de quién es el asesino y a los dos capítulos ya se termina el libro, entonces no pudimos ver las consecuencias. El único con frotamiento qué hay te deja con más dudas que cosas resueltas. Me gustó la idea de quién era el "villano", pero siento que no supo llevarlo la autora.

Me encantó que todo el grupo de amigos tuviese algún secreto. Siento que eso fue de lo más realista en esta entrega. Eran situaciones bastante extremas, pero le añadieron algo a los personajes, así que lo apruebo.

¿Lo recomiendo? Si eres una persona paciente y te gusta el romance; sin duda.
Profile Image for 1-Click Addict Support Group.
3,749 reviews442 followers
July 3, 2021
Mystery should always have a percolating romance…

I’m a long-time fan of this author and every new book is insta-click for sure. This was a different type of read. Mystery and murder were the driving force behind Stella and Sam’s story, engulfing the entire town tucked away in the Sierras. If you are expecting the heat that is usually found in this author’s stories you won’t find it but what you have instead tantalizes as well as completely entertains…

Stella and Sam were hiding and it seemed their close-knit friends all had stories, pasts that brought them to this small town. And those friendships and bonds were going to be tested – perhaps broken, maybe strengthened - when a murderer came to town… Who that was, and when they would strike next, had them circling the wagons and on high alert. Was it this simple? Not even close. No one was above suspicion and no one, no one, could hide any longer…

I loved this story – the tension, the individuals who made this story sing with emotion. There was fear, anxiety, tension and yet a thread of humour that made the story and its characters not only relatable but very likable as well. Sam and Stella’s dance of unrevealed feelings came to an end in a spectacular way but what followed was sharing that brought them and their friends only closer…

The plot seemed to stall at times as it stopped to hash out details (I thought) were already revealed. What that didn’t impact was the addictive emotional highs and lows the story had me feeling – and what made this such an enjoyable read. ~Diane, 4.5 stars
Profile Image for Laura.
238 reviews46 followers
March 21, 2022
Asesinato en el lago Sunrise cuenta la historia de Stella, una chica que vuelve a tener pesadillas sobre un misterioso asesino en serie que, por experiencia, atacará en un máximo de dos días, tras la última pesadilla.

Esto hace que Stella comience a desconfiar de muchos de los de los lugareños del resort que posee. Por suerte, la confianza hacia sus amigos y hacia Sam, un chico de lo más extraño, siempre estará ahí.

Y de una manera totalmente imprevista, Stella, su perro Bailey y Sam comenzarán a buscar al asesino en serie con el que sueña, aún después del primer crimen.

Lo que más me ha gustado ha sido esa intriga por saber quién era el asesino y por qué podía tener esas visiones, premoniciones. A medida que avanza la historia, las premoniciones, y suceden más asesinatos, se van haciendo más claras y te dejan con más.

Los capítulos son muy largos y muchas veces he sentido que no me contaban nada. Además de que el narrador contaba una cosa y la protagonista automáticamente la repetía, porque se lo estaba explicando a otro personaje, y me ha cansado mucho eso de releer constantemente.

El final, por desgracia, me lo he visto venir. Al inicio de la historia tenía dos teorías, por algunos comentarios que han soltado, y, por desgracia, era una de ellas. Sin embargo, creo que es un final acorde a esta historia tan inusual, aunque me deja con una pregunta ¿Habrá continuación?

En resumen, Asesinato en el lago Sunrise es una historia de thriller, pero con un sutil toque de romance. Con capítulos densos y explicaciones por doquier. Con un final acorde a esta historia tan original.
Profile Image for Soraya Zavala.
206 reviews
July 30, 2022
Una mezcla de mis dos géneros preferidos 👌🏻 hizo de esta lectura mucho más adictiva y pase en sosobra sufriendo jajajajajaj no quería el final que debería haber sido 🤣🤣🤣 la escritora tiene ❤ lo súper disfrute.
Profile Image for Yaneth Suárez.
659 reviews28 followers
September 21, 2022
No puedo decir que sea malo. De hecho, la idea no está mal, pero al libro le sobran muchas páginas. Es muy repetitivo, da demasiadas vueltas innecesarias, demasiados personajes, demasiadas casualidades que confluyen y muy redundante. Con menos páginas el efecto hubiera sido mejor y más impactante.
Profile Image for Ariannha .
970 reviews
August 6, 2022
“Prefiero ver la verdad que dejarme engañar por las mentiras”.

Normalmente no tengo problemas con los libros que mezclan romance, misterio y algunos toques paranormales, aunque muchos suelen entretenerme, pocos suelen gustarme… puesto que son pocos los autores que logran una buena combinación de estos elementos.
Este fue mi primer contacto con la autora, y quizás fue una decisión poco acertada, porque he leído que sus lectores asiduos, no la reconocen en este libro… y a mi sinceramente, no me han quedado más ganas de comprobarlo.

“Asesinato en el lago Sunrise” nos transporta al complejo vacacional Sunrise Lake. Su dueña, Stella Harrison, desde pequeña tiene sueños “muy vívidos” en los que ocurren asesinatos que luego se hacen realidad… y no cualquiera, sino de asesinos seriales. Cuando estos sueños se presentan, para ella se convierte en una carrera contrarreloj, para tratar de impedir que sucedan.

El libro está narrado en tercera persona, con veinte capítulos un tanto extensos, en donde las descripciones abundan y son bastante repetitivas con respecto al paisaje que nos rodea. Este narrador nos presenta a cada uno de los personajes que son variados, y cada uno parece guardar sus propios traumas y secretos; sin embargo, quedan tan planos como las hojas del libro, pues la autora no se arriesga a presentar más allá de lo necesario… Es tan así, que a veces el lector siente que se ha saltado algo.
Además, todo hay que decirlo, hay errores importantes en la traducción y/o edición del libro, que toda editorial debe cuidar.

La historia y la acción es bastante lineal y monótona, le faltan los principales elementos de un thriller: acción, emoción, suspense, y profundidad suficiente en la trama. En este “thriller” la policía brilla por su ausencia, y toda “la investigación” se centra en lo que hacen Stella y Sam, y en las ridículas prácticas que aplica para mejorar la calidad de sus sueños, y extraer de ellos lo que necesita… todo muy puesto con pinzas.

El asesino salta a leguas, prácticamente desde que sale a escena el lector puede reconocerlo, y aunque la autora trata de darle una vuelta de tuerca, no lo logra… por tanto no hay mayores sorpresas a este respecto. Ahora bien, su final me pareció correcto, nada hollywoodense y nada de grandes hazañas de protagonistas invencibles.

“ Nunca es un buen momento para descubrir que nuestros padres pueden ser monstruos…”
Displaying 1 - 30 of 548 reviews