Start by marking “Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green, #8)” as Want to Read:
Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green, #8)

Death at the Workhouse

(Penny Green #8)

London 1885. Something’s not right at Shoreditch Workhouse and reporter Penny Green is struggling to convince someone to listen. After spending time there undercover, she knows that more can be done for the deserving poor beneath its roof. But does anyone else care?

When two workhouse inmates die in a fight, the police and the coroner accept the simplest explanation.
Published October 1st 2020 (first published September 17th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Workhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Workhouse

Start your review of Death at the Workhouse (Penny Green, #8)
Yara
"Death and the Workhouse" by Emily Organ is the 8th book in the Penny Green series.

I've enjoyed most of the books in this series, some more than others. Overall, it's a solid Victorian mystery series with good characters and decent mysteries.

This book was a good addition to the series. Many of the books in the series focus on social injustices in Victorian London, and this one, in particular, had a strong focus on social justice, specifically the depravity found in the workhouses of the late 19
Jan Russell
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing read.

I have really enjoyed reading the other books in this series, but this one i could not finish. It was a tedious read and very dry. W
Kristen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic installment! I'm so happy I stumbled across this series! ...more
Ann
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Another enjoyable entry in the series. Penny does always seem to look a bit before leaping, but it doesn't come off as 'too stupid to live'; rather she's just passionate about her cause. And she does look, but sometimes she leaps anyway. James is still getting exasperated with her, but also recognizes that her instincts are often spot on. He's finally close to paying off his former fiance for breach of promise so it looks like there will be a wedding soon. Eliza is still pursuing divorce from he ...more
R.A. Forde
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Penny Green books thus far. I think Emily Organ does a good job of getting into the mind of a late Victorian professional woman. The books are very well researched, and the history is spot on. She knows what the geography of Victorian London was like, which neighbourhoods were poor and which well-to-do, how people travelled between them and how long it took. She also knows how they dressed and what they used for medication. All this helps to create a sense of time and plac ...more
Lois Zollars
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EVERY Book is Riveting!

Emily Organ never fails to capture my attention from beginning to end! I really appreciate the added historical facts that she presents after the close of her stories. Her stories are remarkable because many of her tales have been influenced by her historical research/actual events. I am not a big fan of mysteries, but I cannot deny myself the enjoyment of Emily Organ's work- the chemistry of characters, Penny and James, is delicious; plus all of the regular characters tha
Richard
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good follow-on from the previous volume and I found it absorbing, as usual. This didn't seem to involve as much personal danger to Penny as some of the previous volumes. The plot mainly involves some deaths in Shoreditch Workhouse and the investigations that follow. The whole situation was interesting, and it moves Penny's life story along. I feel satisfied for the moment, but I know there are big things to come in Penny's future. As always for this series, the writing and editing are ...more
Clare Anderson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite historical mysteries

Emily Organ’s Penny Green series are my favorite mystery series. I always pick them up as soon as they are out. While I find them quick and light read compared to other books I’m reading, I always learn new and interesting facts about the period. The characters in the book are well developed and Finding out what is happening with them is another reason I quickly pick up these books.
Suzi Sheward
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful story .......

I’ve read all of the Penny Green books and none have disappointed me. I am particularly impressed by the historical research done by the author which I find as interesting as the story line. If you haven’t read a Penny Green book yet I would suggest starting with the first. Although each is a stand alone book there is a thread of continuity which enhances each story.
I’m eagerly awaiting the 9th in this series.
Susan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1885. Newspaper reporter Penny Green is convinced that two deaths at the Shoreditch Workhouse are suspicious even though the police and the coroner do not. She persuades Inspector Blakely to help her investigate. (Obviously he has no other cases to deal with).
Unfortunately I have become increasingly irritated by the character of Penny (starting in the previous book) and so found the book difficult to read.
Heatherinblack
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well done mystery

good mystery. good way of getting around to the diverse solutions. i do have an issue, as do several people in the story, with Penny going everywhere with James. ok, it was the 1800s, but seriously. i would so not be ok with it.
Bev Priest
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

Another good read in the Penny Green series. I've liked all of them. This one has a slightly macabre thread running through it, but well written as usual.
Delon Nickels
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the previous books!
Kim
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
The entire book was an editorial on social injustice. It was hard to find the story hidden under the soapbox. I am not saying I disagree, but I was looking for something lighter.
Virginia Tican
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Green sisters went 'undercover' to Shoreditch Workhouse... civic minded Eliza enthusiastically volunteering to aid sister Penny into her research for the Morning Express' article on workhouses only to be dismayed by the dirt, squalor, unsanitary conditions and pigs' swill food that were the lot of the poor. This is about the particular Poor in workhouses inheriting more than starvation, poor health and destined to be downtrodden in Life and for the final Indignity, in Death... their bodies w ...more
Peggy
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the Penny Green Series, this on one slow moving, but interesting. I enjoy learning about the history that Emily Organ puts into her story and the time period she writes about. I enjoyed how the ending came and was surprised who the bad person was. Can't read the next book to find out what is going to happen, Emily Organ always leaves us with anticipation. ...more
Kathy Houser
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent crime novel by Emily Organ! As usual, the plot was easy-going but facinating because of the way crimes needed to be solved without fingerprints and DNA! I enjoy the heroine's's tenacity, but wish she and the detective would hurry and marry as I sense trouble in their relationship! Maybe next book... ...more
Terry Polston
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
After Penny and Eliza spend an investigative night at the workhouse two men are found dead. It is determined that they killed each other but Penny doesn't believe it. She sets out to find out what happened to them and to another inmate whose body has disappeared from the workhouse. Penny and James uncover a scheme to sell bodies to medical schools for dissection. ...more
Kevin Marsh
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Death at the Workhouse is another brilliantly written book in the Penny Green series by Emily Organ. This book reveales more of the ongoing life of our main character with fascinating insights into historical gems associated with the plot. I am totally hooked on the Penny Green series and can't wait to find out what happens next. ...more
Ms Sarah E Woodall
Apr 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fascinating historical murder mystery

Another cracker of a book. This time set in the sad environment of the workhouse. Somebody appears to be killing off the inmates, bodies are going missing and somebody is trying to intimidate Penny. As with previous books in the series the historical details are so well researched it comes to life. Excellent.
Diane
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Organ is a consistently good writer. The Penny Green Series is an entertaining read. I enjoy the historical accuracy, and her descriptive detail helps to actually visualize the settings.
I look forward to book 9 in the series and hope there will be many more.
Paula
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wondered if the romance between miss green and her inspector was going to progress or fail. They argued so much about deaths at the workhouse. After a while she convinced them there was something to investigate. Who knew how far reaching the selling of bodies from the workhouse would be.
Amy Eisenhart
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Read!

I’ve read each of the books in this series and they are ALL excellent! I was so excited when I came across this most re ENT installment in the series!!!! Can’t wait for the next one!!!!!!!!!!!
Elizabeth
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I suspected one of the villains somewhat early on, the story still had some surprises for me. I also feel like there's a lot of development in the characters and it's setting up some exciting events in the next book. ...more
Patricia Moran
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Well researched

Editing and research are well done. I’m weary of Penny’s extreme theories and James asserting that Penny needs to be open minded. Please save me from any more of Penny’s open mind and suppositions.
Andra Fore
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

If you like this series you will like this one too. Interesting storyline and again wonderful information if you are a history buff.
Michael Goldman
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Easy read. Good job of showing the ethos of the times . Having read other books in the series, it is somewhat formulaic. Nice before bed read
Lindy
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!

It is entertaining to read the story, but even more interesting is Ms. Organ's research. I love history, and Emily O. brings it to life!
Hollylovesbooks
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh, it’s finally happening!
People who haven’t read this will not understand that line but I’m excited. If you love light hearted mysteries set in period England read this series!
Virginia
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Murder

This one was a good read. I found it a bit slow at the start. Interesting twists and turns. Also, I thought I figured it our but no.

• Murder on Charles Street
  • Murder at the Mill (Redmond and Haze Mysteries #3)
  • Murder In The Caravan (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #4)
  • A Murderous Inheritance (The Discreet Investigations of Lord and Lady Calaway #3)
  • No Stone Unturned (The Lucy Lawrence Mysteries, #1)
  • A Victim, A Viscount, And Miss Mifford (Regency Murder and Marriage Book 2)
  • A Sinister Establishment (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #6)
  • Murder at the Abbey (Redmond and Haze Mysteries #2)
  • The Dagger Dance (Lady Fan Mystery Book 7)
  • A Fraying of Schemes (The Dickinson Sisters Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • A Boldly Daring Scheme (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #7)
  • The Earl's Mortal Enemy (The Discreet Investigations of Lord and Lady Calaway #4)
  • Footprints in the Sand (The Lucy Lawrence Mysteries Book 2)
  • The Viscount's Deadly Game (The Discreet Investigations of Lord and Lady Calaway #2)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • Interviewing The Dead (Carlyle & West Victorian Mysteries #1)
  • Death at Hungerford Stairs (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Sam Jones, #2)
Emily Organ is the author of the popular Penny Green Victorian mystery series which counts over half a million downloads worldwide. The first book in her Churchill & Pemberley cozy mystery series was shortlisted for Amazon UK's Kindle Storyteller Award in 2019.

Get a free Penny Green read: emilyorgan.com/westminster-bridge
Get a free Churchill & Pemberley read: emilyorgan.com/a-troublesome-c

Penny Green (10 books)
  • Limelight (Penny Green, #1)
  • The Rookery (Penny Green, #2)
  • The Maid’s Secret (Penny Green, #3)
  • The Inventor (Penny Green, #4)
  • Curse of the Poppy (Penny Green, #5)
  • The Bermondsey Poisoner (Penny Green, #6)
  • An Unwelcome Guest (Penny Green, #7)
  • The Gang of St Bride's (Penny Green, #9)
  • Murder in Ratcliffe (Penny Green, #10)