Jump to ratings and reviews

Sentinals #1

Sentinals Awaken

Winner of the 2021 Readers' Favorite Finalist Award for Fantasy-Epic

When Jerrol Haven, a captain in the King’s Rangers, discovers treason at the highest level, he knows immediately that the knowledge puts his life at risk. And indeed, though he expected the ailing King to shield him, the ambitious Crown Prince sentences Jerrol to death. What hold does the Prince have over his weakened father, and who or what is he protecting?

As Jerrol flees for his life, he is rescued by the enigmatic Lady Leyandrii, a goddess who, according to legend, once saved the land of Remargaren from malevolent wild magic users known as the Ascendants by raising a veil to nullify their power and exiling them. Now, with signs that her veil is weakening and the Ascendants are creeping back into power, she has returned and is in dire need of Jerrol’s help. For though he doesn’t know it, Jerrol possesses a rare gift: By chance, he touches a revered Sentinal tree and awakens Birlerion, one of the Lady’s personal guard who have been sleeping in the strange, tall trees since they were last called to battle.

Aided by Birlerion and an old friend, Jennery, Jerrol begins his journey to help Lady Leyandrii save Remargaren once more. But time is running out: As it was with the King, the old guard Lords are everywhere being usurped, attacked, and assassinated, while their heirs behave strangely and refuse to honour the Lady as Remargarens have done for millennia. Jerrol must unravel the mystery of the Ascendants’ return, stop the sinister force that is dividing good families through bloodshed and betrayal, and rescue the King—and his troubles are only just beginning.

Sentinals Awaken is the first book in the saga of Remargaren, a vibrant, ancient world of high fantasy suffused with magic and adventure.

378 pages, ebook

Published October 11, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Helen Garraway

12 books213 followers
USA Today Bestselling author Helen Garraway lives in the UK and has been writing about the world of Remargaren, a fantasy world of her creation since 2016.

Sentinals Awaken, which was Helen's debut fantasy novel, won the 2021 Readers' Favorite Finalist Award in the Epic Fantasy category. It was followed by Sentinals Rising which was released on March 17th 2021 and achieved a Five Star Readers' Favorite review and an Honourable Mention award. Three further books have been released in the Sentinals series along with SoulBreather, the first book in the fantasy romance SoulMist series.

An avid reader of many different fiction genres, a love she inherited from her mother, Helen writes fantasy novels and enjoys paper crafting and scrapbooking as an escape from the pressure of the day job.

Having graduated from the University of Southampton with a Degree in Politics and International Relations, she remains an active member of their alumni.

You can find out more at www.helengarraway.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (4%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 70 reviews
Profile Image for Michelle.
398 reviews15 followers
May 13, 2022
I really didn't want another DNF on my record, but so much for that.

This book is distinctly mediocre. I'm really puzzled by the sea of four and five star reviews! Let me explain my reasoning.

First, holy crap this really jumps around! There is absolutely no flow to the narrative, and there is a terrible lack of proper segues into paragraphs. As a reader this is very jarring. It's almost as if the writing is flying by the seat of the pants, without an outline or general idea of events made beforehand.

Second, this is one big ol' deus ex machina.

Third, the two main characters so far are Jerrol and Jennery. No, they're not twins. But I had a really hard time keeping these characters separate during conversations!

And fourth, ideas are brought into the mix well after the fact, and it makes them unbelievable. Let me try give an example of what I'm trying to explain.

Jerrol, (let's call him J1), is on the run and comes across a fully caparisoned horse in the woods just in the nick of time. He thinks it's pretty, checks the saddlebags for food and money, (and lo! both are conveniently supplied), hops on the horse and gallops off. Pages later he is talking with Jennery, (J2). The conversation is along these lines:

J2: Wow, J1, that's some swell horse you have there!
J1: Thanks.
J2: Isn't it one of those magnificent ultra-rare mythological types of horses?
J1: Yup.
J2: Don't those horses tell you their own name?
J1: Yup.

Okay, so when J1 galloped away on this pretty and fully-stocked horse, none of these details were even alluded to. It's almost as if the author thought that maybe she would make it a magical horse later on because of the cool factor. She had written other things too late as well, but the horse really stuck in my craw. I think that was the last straw.

Profile Image for E.P. Stavs.
Author 12 books81 followers
March 7, 2021
Fantasy at its finest. Garraway does a beautiful job of weaving a classic fantasy setting full of original lore and magic. Every character, every encounter, every mysterious hint was so well-written and fleshed out, I could easily lose myself in her world. I could picture the great Sentinal trees and their ancient inhabitants, could almost feel the Lady's touch as it sparked amongst her supporters. Even as a longer read, it didn't *feel* long when I was reading it. It just felt... right. And while the focus was that of an epic fantasy adventure, I loved the threads of romance added here and there and look forward to seeing them develop in the following books. Highly recommend to anyone who loves fantasy.
Profile Image for Sloane McClain.
Author 9 books43 followers
January 14, 2021
Helen Garraway. Remember her name because you're going to want to keep checking for the next book and the next and the next... There's something for everyone in this book. Adventure. Magic. Some battles. Romance. And, for the true fantasy, the all-important Good vs. Evil.

"Sentinals Awaken" is an amazing first book by a talented writer. Her characters are three-dimensional. The hero quickly makes you want to join him on his adventure. You want him to succeed. Her fantasy world of Remargaren is fully developed as well. Her descriptions are so well crafted that it's easy to see the world Helen writes about in all its wonderful glory.

I'm looking for more books in this series.
Profile Image for Eva Alton.
Author 9 books164 followers
December 6, 2020
Jerroll, the captain of the King's Rangers, must help Lady Leyandrii fight the Ascendants, who are threatening the kingdom of Remargaren. A nicely written fantasy novel with great world building and lots of action and intrigue. I read this one after the prequel, Sentinals Stirring, so it was nice to meet the same characters again.

Profile Image for M.H..
Author 17 books98 followers
July 27, 2021
4.5 stars rounded up to 5.

Sentinals Awaken is perfect for fans of classic fantasy such as David Edding and Tad Williams, while bringing a fresh, engaging world to life. Helen Garraway is a master wordsmith, deftly weaving memorable characters, tight world-building, and complex political intrigue into an excellent novel.

The only reason I can’t give this stunning story a perfect 5 star rating is the number of typos and occasional head hopping. But those are a small annoyance and well worth overlooking to immerse yourself in this excellent tale.

A strong leading cast takes the reader along an action-packed journey to uncover mysteries both ancient and new, and a solid climax satisfies while leaving plenty of questions for coming books. I’m looking forward to reading the next installment very soon!

Also, I need a pet Arifel. Where is the nearest magical pet shop?
77 reviews2 followers
November 7, 2020
Recently i finished reading "Sentinals Awaken" and I would like to give you a short trip to this book. Sentinals Awaken is the first book in the saga of Remargaren, a vibrant, ancient world of high fantasy with a mix of magic and adventure.

📕Whenever I decide to read a book, firstly I take a look to the blurb of the book and here the blurb says-
"As a three thousand-year-old threat reemerges, only one man has the power to awaken the world’s greatest protectors and restore order to the realm. He just doesn’t know it yet....."
I found it very interesting as I haven't read any story with such a unique storyline before.

📕The blurb is talking about the captain in the King’s Rangers- Jerrol Haven, he discovers treason at the highest level, he knows immediately that the knowledge puts his life at risk. He expected the ailing King to shield him but the ambitious Crown Prince sentences Jerrol to death and here comes the role of goddess- Lady Leylandii who rescued him. She is the one who once saved the land of Remargaren from malevolent wild magic users known as the Ascendants by raising a veil to nullify their power and exiling them. Now, her veil is weakening and the Ascendants are creeping back into power, she has returned because she is in need of Jerrol’s help.
Jerrol then begins his journey to help Lady Leyandrii to save Remargaren once more. Jerrol must unravel the mystery of the Ascendants’ return, stop the sinister force that is dividing good families through bloodshed and betrayal, and rescue the King—and his troubles are only just beginning.

📕This is a well written book with Interesting plot. This book have all the elements of a good story. It is Engaging, Interesting and good to read, its a story through which you can travel to a different world. It have great twists and the timing of the twists is so perfect. I decided to complete this book in 2 days but the suspense didn't let me put it down and I finished reading in 1 day. I appreciate the Author's writing style and mind blowing imagination skills. I totally enjoyed this book 🌸
Profile Image for MasterGamgee.
1,352 reviews22 followers
March 22, 2022
Pretty good set up for further stories in this series. I enjoyed the characters - their stories and circumstances and how they dealt with them and I also the descriptions of the places they visited.

Look forward to reading more in this fantasy adventure.
Profile Image for Sarah Oakey.
248 reviews3 followers
May 2, 2021
Sentinals Awaken by Helen Garraway

This is book One in The Sentinal Series introducing us to the fantasy land of Remargaren.

This book has such a wonderful flow, so easy to read and invest in. The protagonist is Jerrol Haven, a wonderful companion to travel along side during this adventure, prepare to meet rich, unique characters.

I adore the idea of the Sentinals.... Lay sleeping inside the trees, it gives the story a real feeling akin to magical folklore... I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the fantasy land, quite old English, a medieval and mystic feel.

I urge you to join Jerrol on this mystical adventure you won't regret it but I warn you you will be left wanting to know what happens next!!?
Profile Image for Nellie Steele.
Author 30 books232 followers
March 4, 2022
Sentinels is a sweeping epic fantasy filled with just about everything a reader could ask for! With an interesting and likeable main character, Jerrol’s adventures will keep you on the edge of your seat. The carefully crafted world-building in the book is fantastic! The story itself is filled with plenty of action and adventure to keep you turning pages. And did I mention the map at the beginning of the book (which is always a great thing!).

If you love epic, magical fantasy, give this series a try!
Profile Image for T.L. Brown.
Author 5 books59 followers
September 14, 2021
This Novel is a Tapestry of Words

“Sentinals Awaken” by Helen Garraway is the first installment in a captivating fantasy series. This is not a book you inhale. No, it’s a story you savor like a fine piece of chocolate. The layers of rich words and intricate world-building are to be explored. To fully appreciate the author’s exquisite writing, along with the magnificent complexity of her characters, you must take your time as you take it in.

This novel is a tapestry of words – beautiful and lush. Main character Jerrol Haven is genuinely likeable from the first chapter. This is not some run-of-the-mill, massively muscled hero. As a King’s Ranger, he’s a skilled protector. As a wanted man, he is a dangerous adversary. And yet, the author does not take Jerrol down a dark path when he is wrongfully cast out. He is honorable, never cruel. He is not a hero who frustrates the reader.

Even though the author presents different portions of the journey from various character points of view, the reader will not get lost. It is clear who has picked up the story and even more importantly – it makes sense when they do! The author does not switch POVs simply because she can. The different POVs provide the reader with what they need to know to move forward in the story.

Garraway exceled at presenting the numerous pieces of the story’s puzzle without overwhelming the reader. We meet: the King’s Rangers; the Lady / Lady’s Guard; the mysterious Sentinals; the terrifying Ascendants (individuals and concept); the Guardians; Councils; Watchers; the Scholars in their Chapterhouse; the chancellor and the prince – PLUS we learn about elements such as The Oath and The Veil, while following the characters through multiple locations in Remargaren. The Arifels, small flying cat-like creatures, are lovable. Truly, I have never read a book with so many moving parts and yet not once felt lost. THAT is part of Garraway’s great skill as a writer. She crafts her story in such a way as to never leave you wondering what just happened. It all makes sense.

The author clearly paints a vision of Remargaren without trending into pages of unnecessary descriptions that can interrupt a story. For example, she provides the reader with enough description of Sentinal uniforms and attributes so we can see how these characters stand out as something special. We never find ourselves mired in descriptive language.

The author developed a bevy of fascinating characters in addition to the protagonist. I was intrigued by scholar Taelia; I am troubled by scholar Torsion. My assumption is I’ll learn more about these characters in the second book of the series. The extraordinary Sentinals are introduced (awakened) slowly to the reader in the beginning. Birlerion becomes our touchstone for this group; more Sentinals join the story as the journey continues. They are fascinating and intimating in a comforting way. This may be Jerrol’s quest, but the foundation is the Sentinals’ story.

For a woman who spent many childhood days reading with her back against the trunk of a tree, this book was like coming home. And while readers often fantasize about seeing their favorite books as movies or a Netflix series, I would love to see Helen Garraway’s epic tale written into wall-sized tapestries hanging in the high halls of great literature.
Profile Image for Cully Mack.
Author 7 books110 followers
July 3, 2021
This book has a fantastic back story and mythos which really intrigued me. Lady Leyandril is a goddess. She once defeated dark magic, resulting in herself, her Sentinaks (guards), and magic being banished from the land. three thousand years later that same darkness is rising.
Jerrol, a betrayed Captain in the King's guard touches a Sentinal tree, accidentally awakening one of Leyandril's Sentinals, and so their journey begins.
The mythology in this book is superb. I loved everything about it, especially when myths come to life.
This one is for epic/high & YA fantasy fans.
Profile Image for Mik Wasiak.
108 reviews
October 30, 2021
A great book one I love the story and characters I’m reading book two now I got this book for free and honest review
Profile Image for germie_reads.
42 reviews7 followers
April 18, 2021
The land of Remargaren was once again in need of saving as a devilry magic tried to shred the veil once put up by Lady Leyandrii to protect her people three thousand years ago. The safety and peace of the entire kingdom lay in the hands of Captain Jerrol and the Sentinals. He had to solve the mystery and stop the Ascendants from creeping back into power, gaining access and hold on key areas in the kingdom which divided families, resulted to bloodshed and confusion.

This epic fantasy novel was well-written. The world building ability of the author was amazing. She was able to transport me to the land of Remargaren where magic which was thought was lost for three thousand years started to reemerge once again. Even without the aid of the map included in the book, I felt like I was able to visualize Jerrol’s journey. Each place was vividly described, each character was given thorough details, most especially the Sentinals. I enjoyed reading about them and I looked forward to what roles they were going to play to help Jerrol.

I have always enjoyed reading fantasy novels. I have always been fascinated with magical powers of characters and what they do with it. This book was able to pique my interest from its very first page and kept me wondering how I would react if I ever meet someone today who has just woken up from a 3,000-year sleep!

Helen Garraway did an awesome job weaving an extraordinary tale that is filled with magic, action, and adventures. I am looking forward to the next installment of this series.

Profile Image for Helen Garraway.
Author 12 books213 followers
Read
November 8, 2022
I saw from one of my reviews that a glossary for the characters would be useful, so I have added one to Sentinals Awaken. So download the updated version to your kindle to get the updated version!

Sentinals Awaken is also available in audio if that is your preferred format! Enjoy!!

***
Sentinals Awaken was my debut novel, the first in the Sentinal series and begins an epic fantasy adventure set in the ancient world of Remargaren.

Jerrol Haven is a captain in the King's Rangers, a tenacious and loyal man who discovers treason at the highest levels, but before he can do anything he in turn is accused of treason and sentenced to death. This begins a journey of discovery and adventure to find out what or who is threatening his world.

Unbeknownst to Jerrol, he has the ability to wake the Sentinals who have slept for three thousand years within the tall majestic trees which were named after them. You will meet the Lady's personal guards as he accidentally awakens the first one and then as he slowly learns who and what they are, he awakens more.

Enter an ancient world of myth, legend and magical creatures. I loved building out the world of Remargaren and the countries that you will travel across as Jerrol and the Sentinals he awakes, battle against the Ascendants determined to destroy their way of life.

I hope you join the adventure and stay for the journey. I look forward to reading your reviews and chatting about my characters. Please add my book to your shelf and let's begin the conversation.
viewbook.at/SentinalsAwaken
Profile Image for Mandi.
Author 19 books57 followers
May 19, 2022
I didn't actually read this book. I listened to the audiobook, and I have to admit that listening has probably made this harder for me to review than if I had read it. I don't know how to spell any of the names. I also find my mind wandering a little more when listening than when reading. I took this into account and didn't drop any stars for that.

Garraway does a fantastic job of world-building. I love the idea behind this series. The characters were well-written and enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the Arifel (might be spelled wrong, audio). I might need one of these for myself.

Matt Coles does a fantastic job of narrating. I loved all the unique voices he did and the animated sound of his voice. It didn't bore me at all.

This is definitely one book I would like to read when I get a chance, and I am anxious to see what happens next in the series!
91 reviews
April 12, 2022
The large number of “4” and “5” reviews are…puzzling. The quality of the writing is, generously, just fair. Little world building, just a succession of hurried scenarios, jumping from one frying pan, to the next.

The “hero”, supposedly one of the senior members of an elite military, seems utterly devoid of a brain,the ability to reason, and whines endlessly asking: how am I supposed to do that?

If there is a plot, or any character-building; it got lost in the endless, and directionless, chases.

Reminds me of the Keystone Kops…lots of frenzy… not much to think about.

Well worth a miss!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Kim Campbell.
Author 2 books20 followers
February 4, 2022
I absolutely loved reading this book. Helen is a wonderful storyteller.

Welcome to a world where knowledge of the past has almost been forgotten. Meet Jerrol, a young but talented soldier in the King's army. He is chosen by the Lady, who is revered as a deity, to save a Kingdom. But Jerrol has no idea what is expected of him or how to go about making it happen.

I am excited to see where this story goes and look forward to the next installment.
Profile Image for Andrew Mair.
Author 1 book10 followers
February 25, 2021
So I don't read much fantasy anymore, but I did when I was younger. I grew up reading CS Lewis, Tolkien and others. Helen's book, Sentinal Awaken, set a fire in me for more fantasy novels. I just learned that the second book in this series will be released on March 17th, 2021. I am very excited! In the meantime, I will pull out my Chronicles of Narnia to tide me over.
Profile Image for Debbie.
6 reviews
February 12, 2022
Adventurous, Intense at times. Jerrol becomes the Ladys Captain and with the waken of the Sentinals help in order to save the king. When the people and the prince are put under mind spell Jerrol and his companions have to figure out how to bring the people back. Overall, the book was well written and will keep you reading to the end.
3 reviews
December 22, 2020
The Sentinals Awaken is an exciting read, full of adventure - a great opener to the series!
A fully realized world, filled with an extensive character network is the mark of a great fantasy novel. Looking forward to the sequels!
Profile Image for Kristin Dawson.
Author 7 books62 followers
March 19, 2022
Beautiful adventure story. Like many epic fantasy stories, it takes a bit for the plot to build. Solid world-building, plot, stakes, and mystical elements. Well edited, too.

Perfect for readers who enjoy rogue soldiers who are still loyal to their king, chosen ones, and sweet romance.
Profile Image for Read, Read, No Sleep, Repeat.
189 reviews4 followers
July 9, 2021
I was very excited when I first saw this Sentinals Awaken. The premise of the book sounded fantastic and the atmospheric cover sucked me in. After finishing it, all I can say is wow!

So what’s it about? Three thousand years ago, goddess Lady Leyandrii defeated dark magic by creating a veil to banish the nefarious Ascendents. The veil is now beginning to weaken, the King’s rule is under threat and the Ascendents have returned. Captain Jerroll of the King’s Rangers, blessed by the goddess, must awaken Leyandrii’s sleeping Sentinals to fix the veil, defeat the Ascendents and restore peace to Remargaren.

Everything about this book is fabulous. It’s wonderfully written, and everything is so well described that I quickly became emerged in the plot and could visualise Remargaren. I loved the world building which unfolded gradually, so it allowed me to keep up and didn’t stifle the story. I was completely enthralled by the plot and mythos of this story (the tree slumbering Sentinals in particular) as it’s so fresh and completely unlike anything I’ve ever read.

The story is told through a number of different, but intertwining plot lines across alternating chapters, each focussing on different characters. The characters were well written and very believable. I particularly liked how Jerroll is not the usual stereotypical brawny alpha hero, but instead uses his intelligence, skill and cunning to succeed. I thought this made him more realistic and relatable. I also loved the charming and witty Jennery and loyal Birlerion and look forward to learning more about them in the next book.

Sentinals Awaken has everything I could wish for in a fantasy book: non-stop action; epic fight scenes; great characters; wonderful mythical creatures (I really want an Arifel); magic and mystery and a sprinkling of romance. Helen Garraway is definitely an author to look out for.

Sentinals Awaken is a must read for all fantasy fans and I can’t wait to read book 2!
Profile Image for Elizabeth Lavender.
Author 3 books423 followers
April 10, 2021
This is an amazing read, the longing of every epic fantasy reader fulfilled. Garraway transports us to world where evil is rising and the protector of her world has chosen a champion to stop it once again from winning. Her champion is one of the King’s Rangers, Jerrol, and he is everything we enjoy about the epic hero. He’s unsure of the role he has been thrust into and questions how in the world he can manage to accomplish what is set before him. It is far beyond his duty of trying to protect the king as a part of the King’s Rangers which he had done well with up to this point. He keeps asking for the instruction manual that just doesn’t exist, but is told he knows what to do. And like all those chosen, step by step we watch him find his way. Sometimes it’s more like stumbling into it, but he gets there. He never wavers and his eyes stay on the one that chose him for the task. With each success, he finds reassurance to continue with the task put upon him. We see his heart as we journey with him, the dedication to the cause before him, and we want to see him triumph over the enemy. Garraway gives him an incredible supporting cast as well, with his friend Jennery and the sentinal he awakens, Birlerion. They provide him strong swords, friendships that will endure the test of time, and ones that will stay the course to protect against the rising threat too. This turns out to be invaluable as Garraway gives a world that unravels quickly, where trust is in short supply, and the winds of betrayal blow strong through the land. It will take everything from Jerrol and his friends to stop the rising threat, but so far they have proved prepared to face and defeat the threat before them, no matter the cost.
Profile Image for Alexandra.
Author 5 books80 followers
April 14, 2021
A fantasy book which introduces the reader to a story like no other, offering a bit of everything, from magic to adventure. Immersed in the saga of Remargaren, you will forget about the outer world, discovering the pleasure of reading a tale that puts the battle of good versus evil front and center.
I loved the story the author has woven, I found it to be in rich in details and so beautifully-developed. Fantasy books sometimes all seem the same, but not this particular one. From Jerrol Haven, a captain with strong morals to Lady Leylandrii, an ancient goddess with an enigmatic appearance, the story is filled with interesting characters.
What is the connection between Jerrol and Lady Leylandrii? You will have to read the book for yourself. The only thing I am going to tell you is that the captain possesses a rare gift, which will change the course of the story significantly. The fight for the saving of Remargaren will include bloodshed, betrayal, and all sorts of trouble.
This is the first book in the series, and it offers the perfect introduction to the author’s creative imagination. The complex characters add to the delight of the story, and I appreciate how much effort the author has put into creating a very real background. While reading, you can almost feel like you are there, living the adventure for real.
If you like fantasy books, this is one of the best I had the pleasure of reading. The talented author offers us an epic adventure, with a hero worth admiring. A book hard to put down, with a distinct twist on the fantasy genre. The story is full of magic and you can easily lose yourself in the world, picturing everything the author imagined in the first place. Well-done!
Profile Image for Kia.
476 reviews24 followers
November 12, 2020
Sentinals Awaken is the debut novel of the author Helen Garraway. Protagonist of the story is Jerrol Haven. The story is set in Vespiri. Jerrol is the captain of the King's Rangers. According to the legends, Lady Leyandrii’s Sentinals, her personal guards, had all vanished with her when she sundered the Bloodstone and
brought down the Veil nearly three thousand years ago. Now, after three thousand years Jerrol thinks that all this is a myth. A man can't live in a tree for three thousand years.

Jerrol was unaware of the gift that he possess. By touching a Sentinals tree, he awoke Birlerion, one of the Lady's personal guard. When Jerrol was running from the Old Vespers to save his life, it was Lady Leyandrii who rescued him. Now, the Lady needs Jerrol's help to save the world of Remargaren. Will they be successful?

This is a great fantasy story with nice world building. It is the debut novel of the author but the writing is so polished that it didn't felt like a debut one. Character development is nice and the plot is so intriguing that I enjoyed every bit of this novel.

The map given at the beginning of the book helped in getting a better idea of the places mentioned in the story. Overall, it's a good story and I like to recommend it to my fellow readers.

Rating 4.5/5
Profile Image for Jennifer Rose.
316 reviews10 followers
April 19, 2021
***Thank you to the author for the copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

My absolute favorite type of book, an epic high fantasy book with hints of romance entwined. This book really set my soul at ease when it comes to the genre.

Although this book was a bit chunky and maybe even intimidating to some (especially if you are not use to reading high fantasy books) it didn’t take long to grab myself a good cup of tea, snuggle on my favorite chair with my throw blanket and emerge myself in the world. It seemed every time I felt like I needed to stretch or get up I was a lot further in than I thought. This is very well written by the author when you don’t feel time dragging on as you could with other high fantasy books.

I love the mystery that this book has as well. I don’t want to get too in to detail as it would ruin most of the book for you. The mystery is a nice touch and a great aspect for this world the author has created.

I really enjoyed meeting the side characters along the way and their interactions with our MC.

If you are a lover of high fantasy books, if you love mystery dabbled in, if you want to get lost in a new world that is beautifully structured and easily imagined then this is the book for you!
Profile Image for Daisy Wood.
Author 1 book11 followers
May 5, 2021
In Sentinals Awaken, Hellen Garraway has created an astounding futuristic fantasy world in the land of Remargaren. This mythical world is set around 4125, and her characters are so well developed they leap out of the page as you read. Her main protagonist Jerrol Haven as a Captain of the King’s Rangers, has taken up a quest to restore the King, who has been usurped by his son. What he doesn’t know, is the power he holds in his hands. Parallel with this there is a 3,000-year-old threat, which stems from when The Lady Leyandriii sundered the Bloodstone, and cast her veil over the land, to protect it.

It is an amazingly well written fantasy book, of duty, honour, justice and love. There is mayhem, battles and many secrets. One of which is that scattered over the land are groups of sentinel trees, and here I loved the idea, that these held a secret army for Jerrol to wake.

It is a unique fantasy, whereby you go on this journey with Jerrol, as he discovers his powers, and that he has been chosen by the Lady as her Captain. You feeling and live every emotion, not only Jerrol’s, but all the cast of this beautiful tale.

It is pure imagination and escapism - I loved it!!!
Profile Image for David Roach.
Author 10 books8 followers
March 22, 2021
Intelligent High Fantasy

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. High Fantasy is often a favorite of mine but in this case I found Sentinals Awaken to be a very intelligent and detailed read. The characters are complex, as is their interwoven relationships with society and its varying class structure. Several key factions emerge throughout the novel in a setting most familiar, perhaps something akin to a late Medieval time period in Europe. Although I am often a fan of hack and slash novels this piece was very thoughtful with rich history that painted a very real setting. Ms. Garraway's style creates a wonderful tapestry of country roads intermingled with small towns and greater cities. At times I felt drawn to these places, as if I could touch and smell them. The relationships developed between characters is believable and the situations they encounter throughout the novel, although driven by otherworldly powers, are realistic and lend an almost folkish sense to a tale of mystery. This is an excellent build up for a series and I look forward to the next installment.
Profile Image for Nicole Wells.
Author 6 books162 followers
May 29, 2022
Fans of epic fantasy will love entering into the world of Sentinels Awaken. Garraway is a talented author and the story is told so well. There is a reason this book has won multiple awards! For my personal tastes, I found the pacing slow, but that's the case with a lot of epic fantasies for me. I also didn't fully attach to the characters. The females seemed stereotypical; I would have loved to see stronger, independent female characters that break the mold and have their share of the action. However, Garraway has definitely created an epic quest with a full cast of unique characters and unlike many other first books in a series, it comes to a satisfying end while still leaving plenty to keep you reading on. For me it was reminiscent of David Eddings with a YA vibe.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 70 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.