Start by marking “The Fiancée: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Fiancée: A Novel

The Fiancée: A Novel

The New York Times bestselling author returns with an unsettling but riveting psychological thriller about a captivating woman who joins a family and threatens to upend their picture-perfect lives.

They had everything they needed for a perfect family vacation: close-knit relatives, a bucolic setting . . . and a murderer in their midst?

Summer’s looking forward to a break fr
Expected publication: June 29th 2021 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Fiancée, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fiancée

Start your review of The Fiancée: A Novel
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ta ta ta taaaa! I’m not only celebrating the first day of the year or binge watching Cobra Kai season 3 on Netflix, I’m raising my glass to share my first book review of 2021! Here we go! Reading challenge already started!

Fast, heart pounding, deliciously intriguing dysfunctional family theme!

An annual family gathering at in-law’s gorgeous estate located rural Pennsylvania: delicious gourmet meals, tennis matches, badminton fun, sipping your refreshments at the pool side seem like a definition
Christina
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable mystery filled with twists, turns, and red herrings — as can only be delivered by Kate White.

I’ve read and enjoyed many books by Kate White, so I was thrilled to get an advance copy of this one. She tends to write mysteries in the more classic vein, with a modern Cosmo woman playing Nancy Drew. (Cosmo woman because Kate White used to edit Cosmopolitan magazine so yep, she knows her Cosmo girls. She practically invented them.) Here, we have heroine Summer, married to Gabe, spend
Jamie
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
I’ve been a Kate White fan for as long as I can remember and this book is no different.
A solid thriller but with predictable twists but overall enjoyable.
Told in the POV of Summer the daughter in law of the family on their annual vacation. Summer is struggling with her acting career and crosses paths with Hannah a fellow actress. Jealousy drives Summer to dig into Hannah’s life revealing that she’s been accused of stealing.
This was a fast paced murder mystery that fans of White will definitel
Meghan
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Harper Perennial and Paperbacks - Harper Paperbacks in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was drawn to this book from the beginning. The suspense, drama, and anticipation were out of your seat exciting (I think I literally jumped out of my chair at some parts). A shocking proposal turned murder mystery and all suspect the new fiancee is public enemy number one. Jaw-dropping thrill ride that w
Denise
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, but it's one of those reads where I was rather surprised that I loved it, as there are some flaws that would generally annoy me, but didn't in this one for some reason. I have no idea - I'm still scratching my head over my enthusiasm, but oh well, it worked for me!

I have to say that this was my first introduction to Kate White, and at first, I wasn't sure that I enjoyed her writing style. It's very descriptive - even about mundane things - especially when it came to food. A b
Susan
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Fiancée is mystery that’ll keep you guessing until the end. The Keatons are on their annual vacation when there is a death. Summer immediately suspects the new fiancée. You’ll be glued to the pages until the very end and you won’t believe who did it!

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Jana
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this one down!! It had a lot of characters and yet you think you know what is going on spoiler alert you do not!
Paul Olkowski
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: classic mystery lovers,
Recommended to Paul by: GOODREADS ARC BOOK
I received THE FIANCEE as an ARC back in February. I had set it aside until I finished Cold as Ice, a FBI crime novel I was then reading. It initially didn't look like a superior book. I thought it was going to be just another mystery; nothing special at all. But I wasn't exactly correct on my assumption. So don't go judging a book by it's cover.
The book starts out with Summer's telling of the discovery of a body while walking through a meadow on the family estate. That sets the starting point
Vicky
Apr 03, 2021 rated it liked it
The Fiancée is a snapshot look into the lives of an extended wealthy family. Every year, the four brothers descend on their parent’s estate for a week long vacation. They wine, they dine, they play tennis and they relax by the pool. And everyone gets along famously. Except this year, Nick brings his new girlfriend, Hannah, the ex-girlfriend of his twin brother, and no one really likes her. Especially Summer.

Summer is the second wife to Gabe and stepmom to Henry. Which totally sets her up as a le
Blue
This is about a family on an annual vacation at their country estate. Claire is the matriarch of the family, her husband Ash, three sons with their wives and last son Nic and his fiancée Hannah whom he met recently. This has Christie vibes in its setting, family gathering together, of course people dropping dead which seem natural deaths but eventually unveiled as murders.

Told in the POV of one daughter-in-law Summer. Summer’s acting career is not going well whereas Hannah just lands in a plum a
Nik's Nook
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Summer is looking forward to her family's annual summer vacation at her husband's family estate. She needs a break from worrying about her acting job, or lack thereof since she's mainly been doing voiceovers. Once there, she finds that her brother-in-law has brought a new girl with him, and it happens to be someone Summer knows. When Summer approaches her, though, Hannah acts like she's never met Summer before. Determined to find out why Hannah is lying, Summer starts digging around. And then, w ...more
Gloria
Mar 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Summer is so looking forward to a much-needed vacation with her husband Gabe and his young son Henry. Gabe’s parents, Claire and Ash, have a bucolic estate with extensive gardens and lovely cottages, perfect for rest and rejuvenation. His three brothers and their partners are coming, too, and it’s always a lovely gathering. Something’s not quite right though when Summer, an actress, meets her brother-in-law’s fiancée, Hannah, another actress. Summer knows they have met before yet the alluring Ha ...more
blondethrillerbooklover
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Kate White is one of my comfort authors. When I haven’t been reading anything I have liked and I want to grab a book that I know will be good, or when I’m feeling tired or cold or sick and just want to cuddle up with a good book, she is one of my go-to authors. Like the same feeling comfort food brings.
Her books are always quick reads with relatable characters and just the right amount of mystery and suspense.
I have read all of her books and enjoyed every one ✨
________________________________

Su
Stacy40pages
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Fiancée by Kate White. Thanks to @harperperennial for the gifted ARC ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Summer looks forward to the family get-together at her husband’s family’s estate every year. When her brother-in-law shows up with his new squeeze, Hannah, things get tense. Summer knows she’s up to something, and matters take a turn for the worse when a family member dies.

This was a fun and entertaining book that kept the pages turning. Although I thought I had figured out the plot twists, I kept turning the pages
Mary
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win an uncorrected proof of this book before it is released in June of this year. Here is my own personal review.

The Keaton family is gathering for a week long holiday together at the parent’s compound. Most of them know each other with the exception of a son’s new fiancée. We learn that the family appears to get along; the parents are well off and often help financially with their sons’ businesses. Then one of the family members is found dead. Daughter-in-law, Summer, is
Ashly
Mar 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thanks to work and constant exhaustion, I haven't been reading as much as I would like. When this ARC arrived in my mailbox a few weeks ago (thank you publisher and Goodreads giveaways), I knew I wanted to make time for it soon. Finally, I sat down last night to start it...and I proceeded to read it straight through until I finished it at about 2am. It was fast-paced, kept my attention the whole way through, and I just kept wanting to learn more about this family and all the craziness going on. ...more
Coley
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2021, 2021, arc
This novel was a delight to read; filled with lots of plot twists, great characters and a few red herrings as well.

Summer, the novels main protagonist, looks forward to her yearly family vacation at her in-laws sprawling estate. Joined by her husbands brothers and their spouses, her step-son and her picture perfect in-laws, Claire and Ash, the week is usually spent in the pool, on the tennis courts or on the patio, enjoying gourmet cooked meals.

This year, her brother in law Nick brings his new
Natalie
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I see Kate Whites’ name, I always get excited. So great to curl up with a delicious mystery on a snowy day.
When Summer arrives at her husband’s family home for a week vacation, she doesn’t expect to be met with several murders. In fact, what should be a happy family reunion turns incredibly sad as they are faced with death.

The story centered around 4 brothers, their parents and partners examines the complex relationships between family members. Summer has suspicions, but this is a novel o
Jenny
Mar 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you @harperperennial for this newest Kate White book. It came in the mail when I was on vacation and I pretty much dropped everything and started it! It was a fast-paced page-turning domestic thriller - my favorite genre. I enjoyed the locked room aspect, even if it did take place on a sprawling estate. The cast of characters was varied with plenty of motive and intrigue to go around. The only gripe I had was that the main character sometimes got to wrapped up in logistics of going from po ...more
Cheryl
Jan 27, 2021 rated it liked it
This was a pretty quick read for me. I really don't have a lot to review as I felt that this was a book I may have read many times before. I've always been a fan of Kate White, but this one didn't hold my attention as much as her others ones have. I'm still very grateful to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc. ...more
Elissa
Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
It’s been awhile since I read a Kate White book and The Fiancée was a great one to get me back on track with mysteries & thrillers. I couldn’t put this book down! I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next but didn’t want it to end. Really enjoyed the twists and turns. Great whodunit!

I won this book in a giveaway
Rachel
Mar 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Love a good "whodunit" and this one didn't disappoint. I was surprised the whole time. I enjoyed the POV just told from one person. At first I was having a little trouble keeping track of all the brothers/spouses but once I got the hang of their names, it was an easy read. I flew through this once in 2 days. Stayed up 'til 2AM.

Thanks to HarperCollins for an ARC.
Carrie Shields
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is going to be the perfect summer read. It's a tense, creepy thriller, almost like a locked room mystery. I love how the characters were developed, and the red herrings were perfectly placed. The action exploded at the end, and I was shocked by the turn of events. I didn't have this one figured out at all 😳🔪 Thank you to the publisher and author for my early copy. ...more
Chelsea
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Really enjoyed this thriller about families and the secrets they carry. The twist, though unexpected, was a bit TOO out of left field in my opinion, but overall a really good suspense read.
Chelsea Peterson
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a page turner for sure! I loved the story line, the twists and turns, and the little details that kept the story going. I read through this book quickly as it grabbed my attention from the first page. I think this book will be a popular read for 2021. I highly recommend checking it out.

A.M. Bostwick
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I always love a Kate White mystery, and The Fiancé did not disappoint. Fast-paced, mysterious and so many red herrings - I truly enjoyed this book that kept me all night turning pages. Thanks, Goodreads, for the giveaway!
Hillary
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
The story and pacing are fine, not exceptional, but not objectionable either. Unfortunately, the characters read like cardboard cut-outs. It isn't offensive, necessarily, but it became tiresome. ...more
Kat
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for the E-arc copy of The Fiancee. It is a great addition to the Bailey Weggins series. I think everyone will enjoy its twisted mystery.
Candy
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Great characters and settings. This thriller had enough red herrings to keep the whodunit a mystery. The ending was a surprise.
Betty
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Twisty, fast paced family drama. Couldn’t put it down!

• Local Woman Missing
  • The Photographer
  • Every Last Secret
  • Malibu Rising
  • Heartbreak for Hire
Kate White is the New York Times bestselling author of fifteen novels of suspense: seven standalone psychological thrillers, including Have You Seen Me? (an Amazon Editors’ mystery and thriller pick for 2020), as well as eight Bailey Weggins mysteries.

Her next suspense novel, The Fiancée, will be published on June 29, 2021.

For fourteen years Kate served as the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magaz