Start by marking “Night Light: A Devotional for Couples” as Want to Read:
Night Light: A Devotional for Couples

Night Light: A Devotional for Couples

The challenge of sustaining an intimate, faith-based marriage in today's "hurry-up" society has never been greater. Now Night Light, the inspired, first-ever couples' devotional from Focus on the Family ministry founder Dr. James Dobson and his wife, Shirley, brings spouses together each evening, helping them stay connected with each other and their Lord. Stories that stri ...more
Published August 22nd 2000 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Night Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Light

Dani
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This book is meant to be a nightly devotional for married couples. Monday through Friday you read a couple paragraphs and then answer three or four discussion questions. Saturday and Sunday you just read a longer story without questions to review what you've discussed and prepare you for the next week's topic.

Even though my husband and I only stuck with it for three weeks, I would still tell other couples to give it a try. We only gave up on it because my husband wanted something that was more o
Brittnee
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was given to my husband and I as a gift from his brother and sister-in-law. Someone gave it to them or they bought it for themselves and just passed it on to us. We plan to do the same for our best friends who are getting married this summer.
The devotions are short and light but they lead to really great conversations. Husband and I even make up our own questions as we're going along. We can't relate to some things that the book talks about just yet (like children) but we talk about it hyp
Tara Nichols
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: married people
This devotional book was given to my husband and I as a wedding present, and it was probably the most helpful thing we received that day. The devotions are insightful, often funny, and each includes questions for you and your spouse to answer together. Each devotion only takes about 10 to 15 minutes, and that is time very well spent. My husband and I read it together most every night during our first several months of marriage and it was so helpful. If you are newly married, or have been married ...more
Larry
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
My wife and I got this book a few years ago with the intention of using it as designed—to share a devotion together as we went to bed at the end of each day. The problem was that as we went through the discussion questions at the end of each devotional, we'd end up getting in a fight half the time as we shared sensitive thoughts. Not a good way to drift off to sleep. So we shelved the book, until recently I got it out and read it alone as part of my daily devotionals. I really enjoyed it, and sh ...more
Kathleen
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hubby and I really liked this book. Each week is devoted to a topic. It is introduced on Sunday and each weeknight reading is followed by a few questions tying the topic to your marriage. The topic is then wrapped up on Saturday. This book gave us some great things to think and talk about. I would highly recommend it!
Stephen Bishop
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My wife and I absolutely loved this devotional. I appreciated that the questions at the end of each lesson got us to ask questions that we normally wouldn't have thought to ask each other (questions that needed to be asked). We also greatly appreciated that it wasn't 'watered down', meaning it wasn't a devotional with a hint of God on the side but rather it was a full-on God centered devotional.
Mark
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Jessie and I did this book for about a year and a half. It had good questions about our marriage, us, and our relationship with Christ. It is short and sweet and easy to do before bed, as long as you are not too tired.
Victoria
I'm a pretty young married woman and this was more for people married at least ten years or more (which I am in my 5th year of marriage currently). It was inspiring and very lovely and I enjoyed reading it each night with my husband. I am sure we'll read it again one day together.
Kara
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: couples!
I absolutely adore this book! This is a couples devotional that is EXCELLENT! My husband and I are really enjoying going through it together and look forward to the time we spend reading it each night.
Sarah Eldridge
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Married couples, Christian couples, newlyweds, older married couples looking for renewal
Recommended to Sarah by: Christian Bookstore
A great, timeless book!
Devotions that Christian husbands and wives can do nightly (or any night they are able to) together. Brings up awesome discussions about faith, God, and how each your marriage should glorify God.
Denielle
This was the first couple's devotional my husband and I tried. It was a nice way to reconnect on both a spiritual level and as a couple every evening. We enjoyed it so much we bought copies for a few other couples we know.
Letitia
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
While I think spending time reading and discussing and sharing spiritual experiences with your spouse is crucial, Dobson's ideas of marriage are rooted too deeply in obsolete gender roles to be relevant to me or my relationships.
Amos
Aug 05, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
published by Multnomah Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 1720, Sisters, Oregon 97759. Found in SHB's pile when we installed the Readers Stand 8/5/2010
Think I read this a couple years ago added to my to-read pile 8/5/10
Mandy
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful devotional for couples. Jason and I give it as a wedding gift to every couple that we know that gets married. we loved reading in it each night before going to bed.
Matt
May 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Very good for a prayer time with your spouse. Quick and relevant. I usually hate Dobson, but they did a good job on this one.
Ally
Mar 01, 2011 is currently reading it
The best part of my day is spending time with Jeff every night working through this devotional.
Heather Wilson
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful devotional...loved it!
Cynthia Plant
This was a wonderful devotional to share with my husband. I loved that we were able to see and use biblical principles in our marriage. I am passing the book onto a close friend and her husband.
Larissa
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that I got from a friend as an engagement present. Yes, we are still reading it, but every time we go through it, we have the best discussions! Highly recommend this book.
Luis Villasenor
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Wasn't really an interenting read for my wife and I. I wanted to see what James C. Dobson had to write about and it seems like I not really fan of his writing.
Stace
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fully-devoted
Scott and I read this the first year we were married. Someone bought it for us as a wedding gift. I remember the "eight cow woman" story!
Jen
Jun 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: couples
The very first devotion in this book had me crying. Very, very good devotional for couples!
Kristina
Feb 20, 2010 is currently reading it
So much!!! Excellent devotional for couples. Thank you Mrs. Reimer (Nye!!)
Pam
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to us 9 years ago at our wedding. An amazing devotional to share with your spouse.
Summer
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for couples, I especially love the prayers at the end of each section.
Justin Tapp
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read this before we had kids, would probably be a different read now. Don't recommend it unless you have kids.
Linda
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great couples devotiion that you can use again and again! Spend a year reading and doing the exercises and your relationship will be richer for the time you invested.
Allen Steele
This devotional was recommended to us, and was very insightful, I do recommend it for your walk.
Philip Meinel
We received this devotion book as a wedding present almost 13 years ago, but only recently finished it. We read several weeks right away, then stopped. I couldn't tell you why. Maybe because we were too immature to realize the value. I can tell you now, that I wish we had continued this devotional 12 years ago. There is a lot of wisdom in this book, a lot of revealing questions, and healing prayers. We chose to learn some of this marriage wisdom the hard way through our own experiences...not rec ...more
Danielle
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotionals, marriage
Very helpful devotional that my husband and read together almost every day.

• Moments Together for Couples: Devotions for Drawing Near to God and One Another
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Devotions for a Sacred Marriage: A Year of Weekly Devotions for Couples
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy
  • God's Outrageous Claims: Discover What They Mean for You
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • Your Time-Starved Marriage: How to Stay Connected at the Speed of Life
  • One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life
  • The Power of a Praying Husband
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • The Blessing
  • Raising a Modern Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • Love and War: Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed of
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • The Coffeehouse Gospel: Sharing Your Faith Through Everday Conversation
  • Safe in the Shepherd's Arms
James C. Dobson, Ph.D., hosts the daily radio program Dr. James Dobson's Family Talk.

A licensed psychologist and marriage, family, and child counselor, he is a clinical member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. For 14 years Dr. Dobson was an associate clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Southern California School of Medicine, and he served for 17 years