Jump to ratings and reviews

Dread the Harvest Moon

A companion novel to Fear the Drowning Deep, an NPR Great Read of 2016.

Three tasks. Two worlds. One deadly queen.

Always follow the rules.

That’s what seventeen-year-old barmaid Liss Corkill does. She’s never cursed or kissed a boy, and until two years ago, when a mythical serpent kidnapped her, she was never late to anything. She knows that if she were like her free-spirited older sister Bridey who sailed to America just before the Great War, her mother would be devastated. Liss is determined to be what everyone expects, even if that means giving up her dreams.

Unless the faeries make you break them.

When Liss accidentally interferes in a fairy queen’s quest for true love, she’s pulled into the vast and dangerous world of Un-Mann, a magical realm as old as the Isle of Man itself. As punishment for her mistake, Liss must complete three tasks for the queen by the night of the Great Harvest Moonlight, the fairies’ biggest yearly celebration.

Or you find something worth dying for.

Liss’s attempts to complete her tasks are met with constant misfortune, as if someone doesn’t want her to win. But she has powerful friends: the town witch, Morag, and her sister’s best friend, Cat, who she’s secretly falling for as they hunt sea monsters by night to protect their home. Sensing a need for inspiration as the final gruesome task draws near, the queen marks Liss’s little sister for death unless Liss succeeds.

Her sister. Her town. Her dreams. If she can’t own who she is and make some new rules, Liss will lose it all.

354 pages, Paperback

Published October 13, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Glenn Marsh

17 books765 followers
Sarah Glenn Marsh writes young adult novels and children's picture books.

She lives, writes, and paints things in Virginia, supported by her husband, four rescued greyhounds, three birds, and many fish.

If she could, she'd adopt ALL THE ANIMALS.

Oh, and she'd love to be your friend here on Goodreads, or over on Twitter http://twitter.com/SG_Marsh!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Christina.
280 reviews10 followers
November 12, 2020
4 stars! I enjoyed this one even more than the first!

While reading the first book is unnecessary to understand what is happening in this book, it certainly adds to the experience as there are returning characters and references to events that have already transpired.

In this book, Liss (Bridey's sister... You know the one - don't want to accidentally spoil the first book) takes the reins as main character. My favorite monsters have returned but with new monsters too, an entire fairy realm, a quest, an interesting question of bloodlines, a slow burn best friends to lovers f/f romance (does Sarah Glenn Marsh know how to write first kisses OR WHAT!), loveable characters, a loveable dog and hilarious demon cat, and a full rounding out to any loose ends left by the first book (e.g. their mom's prophetic paintings receive some elucidating). A highly successful close to the duology.

So glad I preordered this one!
Profile Image for Monica Laurette.
155 reviews10 followers
March 4, 2021
“Music like this had killed my grandfather. Music like this had almost killed me.”

This book takes place about two years after the events of ‘Fear the Drowning Deep’ and follows the story of Liss, who we don’t see too much of in the first book. (also this isn’t like a sequel type book, it’s just connected by the Corkill family and the Isle of Man)

I really liked following Liss, she reminded me of myself as a young girl. I always put my work and others before what I wanted to do. If only I had been forced to do tasks for an evil faery queen to spice things up before I ended high school. Liss juggling two-three jobs while also helping around the house was like me belonging to about seven clubs and being in Colorguard while in high school. I felt her struggle as she tried to keep her life together while her tasks loomed over her head.

“I want to be trusted. I want to be heard. I want out of the cages people put me in.”

The faeries in this book were very unique and interesting to me as I have read many books with fae creatures in it. And I thought the different fae and groups that Sarah created worked really great with the story and how they all interacted with each other and the world around them was fascinating too!

I give Dread the Harvest Moon 5 stars. I loved being back on the Isle of Man, reading some Manx, and diving into the world of the fae while being back with some great characters I began to love in the first book.

Also, if you’re wondering: yes this book is gay. There’s no queerbaiting, and no bury-the-gay troupe. Sarah cares about queer stories and I care about her so it’s a win-win.

“Today was a new adventure, and every forward step was mine to decide.”

Profile Image for Terra.
11 reviews
September 28, 2021
Not as good as the first book in the series.

Really disappointed in this book because I really enjoyed the first. However this book seems rushed. The timing of events seems off starting with the two year time jump. The tone differs also though to be fair changing to a different character as protagonist will do that. The relationships don't seem realistic. Liss and Cat seem more thrown together than having real development. For some reason things that would of had the townsfolk waving their pitchforks in the last book get off with only a snarky comment or two. Even with the events of the last book they weren't really all that accepting at the end of it. Also for a book taking place before and during the great war/ world war one the way people talk and behave isnt right. Its a shame really I wanted to like this book but it ended up being for me a non sensical slog.
Profile Image for Juliet Smith.
95 reviews7 followers
November 18, 2021
With a fascinating fairy hierarchy, a disabled lesbian heroine, and a vivid setting, this book is the rare sequel that surpasses the original. I empathized greatly with Liss' struggle to both complete the tasks given to her by Mona, and be the dutiful daughter to her parents. While I would've liked more romance scenes with Liss' love interest Cat, the ones in the book were sweet.
5 reviews1 follower
October 26, 2020
Good sequel

A good sequel it was nice to see some familiar faces. And to know that Finn came back to Bridey.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.