Start by marking “A Question of Navigation” as Want to Read:
A Question of Navigation

A Question of Navigation

The only favor the aliens do for Clint Beecham when they abduct him is give him a shirt that says DO NOT EAT on it in their language. He’s told that as a physicist, he is to be reserved, along with five other scientists, for a mysterious purpose.

But fifty thousand other humans on board the interstellar scout ship are scheduled to be butchered and frozen, a food supply for
Published January 31st 2021 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Navigation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Question of Navigation

Start your review of A Question of Navigation
PamG
A Question of Navigation by Kevin Hearne brings murder, kidnappings and suspense to a science fiction novella briefly set in Colorado and quickly moving to an alien spaceship.

Our protagonist, Clint Beecham and his friend Derek are hiking in a national park when they encounter two girls that appear to be less than ten years old and unaccompanied by adults. As they talk to Emily and Janelle, Clint tells them he is a physicist and Derek has an English graduate degree. The next thing Clint knows, h
Lou Jacobs
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All of a sudden I have a new found empathy for chicken and lobsters ! Our intrepid hero, Clint Beecham is hiking on a trail in the Rocky Mountains with his best friend, Derek. Both well educated with advance degrees and a loving family life. Suddenly they come upon two unescorted ten-year old girls. One was wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with a pink unicorn and a matching baseball cap over a mane of blond hair (later we learn is Janelle), the other had on a black Colorado Rockies baseball cap over ...more
Karsyn
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book, a solid 4. Entertaining and engaging, only a few slow spots the the beginning. Good characters and a great story. Loved it.

And damn if we can't give narrators a rating. I'm bumping this up to a 5, because of the bloopers at the end. How FUNNY and awesome. Loved it! Luke Daniels is a GREAT narrator (top 6 for me) and I'd listen to him read just about anything. Made the book, and the bloopers. :D
Lucy Dosch (EBookObsessed)
This is a short story and therefore a short review.

Clint and his friend Derek are hiking through the park when they come upon two little girls...who aren't actually little girls. The first clue would be when the one in the unicorn shirt jumped on Clint's friend and began to eat him.

It seems that Aliens have received the messages that we keep sending into space.  These particular ones were tasked with finding a new planet since their sun will soon explode. They weren't planning to head our way bu
Elentarri
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Silly, frivolous and just the right thing when your brain is just not in a functioning capacity.

NOTE: Listened to the audiobook
Marty Tool
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short story, or perhaps a novella in length, but a whopper of a read. Paralyzed and taken to a waiting space ship our hero Clint is to be "not eaten" by the aliens on the ship as well as 5 other scientists. As the description of the book says, there are 50,000 other humans to be a food source for the space travel of this species to eventually go home, report what they found, to then come back and literally devour earthlings and set up camp as their new home. The 6 scientists realize they have no ...more
Catherine
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Subterranean Press for giving me an eARC of this novella in exchange for an honest review.

In full disclosure, I am a massive Kevin Hearne fan, so I went into this expecting that, while it wouldn't be my favorite thing he has ever written, I knew that it would at least be entertaining.

This wasn't wrong.

To my knowledge, Kevin Hearne hasn't published anything truly within the sci-fi genre so far, so I wasn't sure what to expect out of this little novella. I was
Debra
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clint and Derek were talking a walk when they come upon two young girls. One girl asks if they have advanced degrees, and both men say yes, Clint has a PhD in physics and Derek has a PhD in English. One of the girls immediately turns into an alien and eats Derek on the spot. The other girl assures Clint that is he will be designated Reserved and won’t be eaten. Once on board the space ship he meets five other scientists, all wearing shirts that say DO NOT EAT. And then they discover another 50,0 ...more
Nannette Demmler
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Subterranean Press via NetGalley for an honest review.

Every time I think of this novella, I can’t help but smile. It is funny, and also slightly terrifying, but man can we humans kick butt when we put our minds to it. This is a very short book, so this will be a short review, but hopefully it will convince you to pick this one up when it becomes available.

Clint, our main protagonist, has been captured by aliens, along with 50,000+ other humans. After seeing his best friend eaten
Stacy
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, you wouldn't think that an alien abduction story would be funny, but when it comes from Hearne, it's probably inevitable. Even the parts that by rights should be gruesome have enough levity that it doesn't descend into horror story territory. It was just a really fun story, with a lot of positivity about humanity's ability to band together and fight back even in what seems an unconquerable situation. Since I was just coming off a few books that were examples of humanity's worst traits, it wa ...more
Ken
Dec 24, 2020 rated it liked it
My thanks to NetGalley for making an eARC copy of this book available to me.

Enjoyable, but quite different from his earlier books. The book reads a bit like a first person shooter videogame: the protagonist has to overcome obstacles with limited resources, picking up items along the way to help with further quests, er... obstacles. Still, it works pretty well and reads fast. It does come to a rather abrupt conclusion, leaving you wondering if a sequel will follow.
Heidi
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-books-read
Very short, Fun read if gruesome. There’s a theme I’ve seen before in sci-fi. Humans may not be the smartest or strongest etc thing in space but there’s a lot of us and with our backs to the wall a sufficient percentage of us will go **** this and **** you! We’re all going down together if it’s the last thing I do! So-it’s a fast and bloody action romp with a few glimmers of the humor from his other books.
Cassie
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Kevin Hearne is amazing and has done it again. I was sucked into this novella right from the start. His writing style and use of pop culture to lighten the mood really helped balance the end of the world scenario our main character finds himself in.

I don’t normally want books made into movies or shows, but this would be fantastic as a movie!!
John Duggan
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
listened to the Audiobook for this, Luke Daniels does a great job performing it, and after the story is done, there is a blooper reel of Luke flubbing lines and it is absolutely hilarious.

The story is fun, an alien abduction story with some horror, action, comedy.. brilliantly written, and more than a little twisted!

Brenda
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin Hearne writes the most entertaining books I have read. I normally don’t read sci-fi outer space alien books but I had to read this one based on my enjoyment of his other books. While I was reading it I felt like I was there experiencing everything the main character was. Kevin throws in humor in just the right spots. I love snickering when I am reading. And the ending was perfect.
Wayne
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read Kevin Hearne. Seen some of his books, but just haven't picked one up. Then I got a chance to read A Question of Navigation, and figured now was a time to start. A short book, not part of a series, should be a good introduction. Wow. This book had the right mix of sci-fi, action, and humor. Very enjoyable to read, and will not start looking through his other books. Can't wait. ...more
Beth
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Rather funny. I expect no less from Kevin Hearne, however. It made for a nice palate cleanser between books. I liked the characters, the plot, the dialogue, and the ending. Luke Daniels is an excellent narrator, too. I was happy to hear it was him.

Solid 4 stars
Lucky
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A YA not labeled as such?

SF from the 1950s at a very young/juvenile level. I like Kevin Hearne but this is not his normally sophisticated humor or prose. Don’t buy if you expect Ink-and-sigil or Iron Druid level maturity.
Jeremy
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a quick good read!
Michelle
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun novella about an alien abduction and humans who kick ass.
Sara
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So much fun!!
Rachel
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sharp

This is a wild and slightly vicious, but ultimately satisfying, take on classic alien abduction. Read at your own risk.
Jen
PopSugar 2021 prompt: A book that's published in 2021 ...more
Karen
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
This book made me snort with laughter!
Highly recommended, action packed & filthy-mouthed campy fun!
#dickship #diemotherfuckersdie
Todd
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not his best

The Aliens are coming to eat us, so we kill them.
That's about all there was to it. Not as clever or funny as he meant it to be.
Lana Sims
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Humor

Short but lots of fun. Aliens, complete with probes, and captured humans. The best of humanity steps up to the plate.
Sandy
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This book is far less involved than Kevin Hearne's others, particularly his recent Seven Kennings series - and that really allows his humor to shine in this one. Murder, kidnapping, alien abductions! All in one novella. It's pretty much nonstop action, with a good dash of sarcastic humor tossed in.

It's a fun book. I had a good time reading it!
Nicole Luiken
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Takes some old alien invasion tropes and runs with them. Strong voice, fast-paced and lots of human ingenuity for the win.
VeryCurt
Feb 22, 2021
Andrew
Jan 28, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dirty Deeds: An Urban Fantasy Collection
  • Layla
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • Rafael (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #28)
  • Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • Dying with Her Cheer Pants On
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • Bewitched (Betwixt & Between #2)
  • Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3)
  • Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
  • Autumn Bleeds Into Winter
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • Grime and Punishment (Down & Dirty Supernatural Cleaning Services #2)
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 2: Guns of Vengeance
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
Kevin is the NYT bestselling author of the Iron Druid Chronicles, as well as The Seven Kennings, an epic fantasy trilogy, and the Tales of Pell, a humorous fantasy series co-authored with Delilah S. Dawson. INK & SIGIL, a new urban fantasy series set in the Iron Druid universe, will be out in 2020.